Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Frame by Frame: Production Video Number 2

News From Bree
spymaster@theonering.net

Jul 9 2011, 12:25pm

Views: 3696
Shortcut
Frame by Frame: Production Video Number 2 Can't Post

With Peter Jackson's release of the second production video from The Hobbit on Facebook, we found ourselves with a lot of new visuals from the upcoming films. Among the highlights are Hugo Weaving as Elrond, a peek at Legolas's costuming, Goblin-town and more! We are taking a look at each picture individually and have offered our comments and suggestions. Like you, we are purely speculating! Each pic has a number associated with it, and you can click on it for the super high res version. We'd love to hear your thoughts and opinions - just comment on this post, on Facebook and in our Forums! Reference the number when you comment, as we plan on updating this post with your thoughts as well. Oh yea, there be SPOILERS ahead!

Click on the header links to see the full-screen version.

1. Image 01 - Wrap of Filming

Shooting wraps on the first 54 days of filming. Peter Jackson with the first unit on the left, in what looks to be a set for Goblintown. Andy Serkis with the second unit on the right, also on a set that looks like Goblin-town.

2. Image 02 - Wrap of Filming

Just another look at the suspected Goblin-town sets. The set design implies evil - pointy objects, skulls, some kind of caged animal.

3. Image 03 - Andy on Goblin-town Set?

Larger view of the suspected Goblin-town set. Second unit directory Andy Serkis announcing the wrap of the first phase of filming.

4. Image 04 - Peter at Bilbo's Desk in Bag End

A wonderful shot of Peter Jackson at Bilbo's desk in Bag End, Hobbiton. Check out the high res for all the little details!

5. Image 05 - Peter and Andy at Bilbo's Desk in Bag End

Andy joins Peter in the Bag End set. Love the hair-do and beard Andy!

6. Image 06 - PJ and Andy are shown to be in a very small Bag End set

Notice the screen caps on the right? Sure looks to us like screen caps from The Fellowship of the Ring for reference.

7. Image 07- Martin Freeman and Andy Serkis in Gollum's Cave

A great peek at the Gollum's Cave set. Andy is sneaking towards Bilbo as they play Riddles in the Dark.

8. Image 08 - Andy Serkis as Gollum in Motion Capture

Andy Serkis playing Gollum on the Gollum Cave set. He completed most of his filming before taking over as Second Unit director.

9. Image 09 - Woodland Location

This appears to be some type of wooded scene. Based on the actor in the motion capture suit, this could be the stone roll sequence? The monitors seem to show a campground type layout.

10-11. Images 10 & 11 - Woodland Scene Part 2

We see what looks to be bags/gear that would be carried by Dwarves here. This could be a sister shot to the one previous, or it could be the campground near the entrance to Goblin-town.

12. Image 12 - Hugo Weaving as Elrond and Martin Freeman as Bilbo Baggins in Rivendell

One of the most exciting shots from this video...here we see Hugo Weaving as Elrond and Martin Freeman as Bilbo Baggins. Unless there are some significant changes to the story, this is in Rivendell.

13. Image 13 - Bilbo and Elrond in Rivendell

A view from the back as Elrond and Bilbo take direction from PJ.

14. Image 14 - Andy Serkis Motion Capture

A view behind the scenes as we see a close-up on Gollum aka Andy Serkis

15. Image 15 - More Goblin-town?

Peter Jackson wearing the '200 Days to Go' shirt (soon to be an Ebay hot item!) on the set of Goblin-town?

16. Image 16 - More filming in Goblin-town?

Possibly more of Goblin-town

17. Image 17 - And once more...Goblin-town?

The crew anxiously awaiting wrap on the first phase of filming. Probably another Goblin-town set.

18. Image 18 - Ann Maskrey with Legolas Costume Sketches and more...

In the background we can see a few new costume designs for Orlando Bloom as Legolas, as well as various buttons, decorations, buckles, etc. Most of them look dwarvish.

19. Image 19 - Tami Lane with Orc/Goblin in Background

Check out the image posted on the mirror. Looks like a fighting Uruk-hai, but could possibly be photo reference for the 'new' Goblins? Or are they Orcs? Come to think of it...will we get 'Orc-town' now? Hrm....

20. Image 20 - Peter King with Dwarven Beards

Peter King with various Dwarven beards and prosthetics in the background.

21. Image 21 - PJ Reviewing Footage

While its rather blurry, the scene on the monitor seems to be a camp/woodland type scene. Possibly the final footage from the scenes we saw earlier.

22. Image 22 - Bilbo walking around...

We can definitely see Martin Freeman as Bilbo on the screen, but are unsure of the character that appears on the 'bridge' type element in the background. Maybe he is sneaking around Goblin-town? Or Mirkwood? Or possibly Lake-town? Your guess is as good as ours!

23. Image 23 - The All-Stars

We've got a lot of folks in this shot including Alan Lee (left) and John Howe (right). We see a lot of concept sketches on the walls and table. You'll also notice the set mock-ups in the foreground are similar to what we saw in the footage above. What do you think we see? Is that the Lonely Mountain above¬ Dan Hennah's head?

24. Image 24 - Richard Taylor shows some Cool Stuff!

There is a lot to take in with this picture as well. Along the back wall we see a Goblin head? Near Richard Taylor's right shoulder it looks like a headless Troll maquette?

======================================

We hope you enjoyed this look at the images from PJ's production video. If you have comments or suggestions, please do not hesitate to leave them in our comments or on Facebook or in our forums! We'll be updating this post pretty often with your thoughts as they come in.

(This post was edited by Silverlode on Jul 9 2011, 7:07pm)

Subject User Time
Frame by Frame: Production Video Number 2 News From Bree Send a private message to News From Bree Jul 9 2011, 12:25pm
    I'm clicking on Each and am NOT getting a HighRES image? Bombadil Send a private message to Bombadil Jul 9 2011, 6:07pm
        Scroll down Morok Cloudkeeper Send a private message to Morok Cloudkeeper Jul 9 2011, 6:24pm
            Nothing R11 Send a private message to R11 Jul 9 2011, 6:45pm
                Open up another tab Morok Cloudkeeper Send a private message to Morok Cloudkeeper Jul 9 2011, 6:52pm
                Their gallery link didn't work. Silverlode Send a private message to Silverlode Jul 9 2011, 6:56pm
                    Done. Click on each photo title to see the full-screen version. // Silverlode Send a private message to Silverlode Jul 9 2011, 7:08pm
                        Silverload Thank you since I didn't want to go Our Home page and then Jump.. Bombadil Send a private message to Bombadil Jul 9 2011, 7:24pm
    Image 14 Morok Cloudkeeper Send a private message to Morok Cloudkeeper Jul 9 2011, 6:32pm
        Clickable links are on ToRN homepage article PattyJB Send a private message to PattyJB Jul 9 2011, 6:54pm
        RED is the Opposite Color.... of Green, so my thought is it is a... Bombadil Send a private message to Bombadil Jul 9 2011, 6:57pm
        I hope that's... Gandalf'sMother Jul 11 2011, 12:57am
            It's not. Maiarmike Send a private message to Maiarmike Jul 11 2011, 1:35am
    Image 17 Morok Cloudkeeper Send a private message to Morok Cloudkeeper Jul 9 2011, 7:19pm
    Goblin-town or Dol Guldur? Silverlode Send a private message to Silverlode Jul 9 2011, 7:24pm
        Silverloade is Right, if Silvester McCoy has been there for some time.... Bombadil Send a private message to Bombadil Jul 9 2011, 7:35pm
        yes I thought so too namarie Send a private message to namarie Jul 9 2011, 8:06pm
            Sylvester McCoy Silverlode Send a private message to Silverlode Jul 9 2011, 8:10pm
                ah ok, thanks namarie Send a private message to namarie Jul 9 2011, 8:18pm
        Agreed. I too thought the roots suggested Mirkwood Forest more than Misty Mountain Cave. AinurOlorin Send a private message to AinurOlorin Jul 9 2011, 9:23pm
        Dol Guldur and locations... kore mo te kore Send a private message to kore mo te kore Jul 9 2011, 9:54pm
            This x 100 duats Send a private message to duats Jul 9 2011, 10:21pm
            Yes, it is the perfect mountain, but isn't there some specific reason Patty Send a private message to Patty Jul 9 2011, 10:26pm
                No cultural reason, Ataahua Send a private message to Ataahua Jul 10 2011, 12:05am
                    It was. Patty Send a private message to Patty Jul 10 2011, 1:33am
                Taranaki kore mo te kore Send a private message to kore mo te kore Jul 10 2011, 5:24am
        I think you're right MarillŽ by the Sea Send a private message to MarillŽ by the Sea Jul 9 2011, 10:37pm
    Pony Estel78 Send a private message to Estel78 Jul 9 2011, 7:26pm
        I think you're right. Silverlode Send a private message to Silverlode Jul 9 2011, 7:30pm
        Don't you Groovey Guys and Gals ever use " Zoomed View" in your Browser? Bombadil Send a private message to Bombadil Jul 9 2011, 7:47pm
            Zooming only makes the picture blurier... Estel78 Send a private message to Estel78 Jul 9 2011, 7:59pm
            I wasn't talking about the center mass. Silverlode Send a private message to Silverlode Jul 9 2011, 8:07pm
                I see at least 3 ponies... Estel78 Send a private message to Estel78 Jul 9 2011, 8:20pm
            I think it looks like two troll legs and a pony next to it taekotemple Send a private message to taekotemple Jul 10 2011, 8:35pm
                You gotta watch the HD video... Estel78 Send a private message to Estel78 Jul 11 2011, 12:09am
                    It does look different in the video compared to the still picture. taekotemple Send a private message to taekotemple Jul 11 2011, 3:55am
                        It's a troop of ponies. Pipe Dream Send a private message to Pipe Dream Jul 11 2011, 11:35am
                            Nice! Maiarmike Send a private message to Maiarmike Jul 11 2011, 12:03pm
                                Quirky is right. Pipe Dream Send a private message to Pipe Dream Jul 11 2011, 2:36pm
        Looks like a pony and two dwarves to me chrismortega Send a private message to chrismortega Jul 9 2011, 8:08pm
        I see three ponies MarillŽ by the Sea Send a private message to MarillŽ by the Sea Jul 9 2011, 10:46pm
    Look at the photo with Richard Taylor duats Send a private message to duats Jul 9 2011, 7:32pm
    Image 23 TheRealBeren Send a private message to TheRealBeren Jul 9 2011, 7:51pm
        I noticed this as well, good eyes.// Maiarmike Send a private message to Maiarmike Jul 9 2011, 10:59pm
    To those who put this together, you *rock*! Ataahua Send a private message to Ataahua Jul 9 2011, 9:08pm
        "I get the feeling that PJ staged the backgrounds deliberately to give fans a lot of things to pick over, such as the FOTR screencaps in image 6" Patty Send a private message to Patty Jul 9 2011, 9:10pm
    Scene with Bilbo & Elrond Dwimbruk Send a private message to Dwimbruk Jul 9 2011, 9:42pm
        I guess... Estel78 Send a private message to Estel78 Jul 9 2011, 9:44pm
            I've heard that Weta Kangi Ska Send a private message to Kangi Ska Jul 9 2011, 9:48pm
                "Honey, I shrunk the Hobbit?" // Silverlode Send a private message to Silverlode Jul 9 2011, 9:55pm
            Gimli has more in common with the Elves than he thinks... ;-D // Silverlode Send a private message to Silverlode Jul 9 2011, 9:59pm
                I see what you did there. :) // Estel78 Send a private message to Estel78 Jul 9 2011, 10:03pm
                yep, Elrond sits on Gimli's box :)// namarie Send a private message to namarie Jul 11 2011, 10:17pm
        I'm guessing in the shot from behind DrDeath153 Send a private message to DrDeath153 Jul 10 2011, 1:33pm
    Bilbo's desk in 04 and 05.... dormouse Send a private message to dormouse Jul 9 2011, 9:47pm
        Hats off to you screen shot detectives. Patty Send a private message to Patty Jul 9 2011, 9:50pm
        A deliberate hint? guitarzankansasfan Send a private message to guitarzankansasfan Jul 11 2011, 7:08am
            I do not think so. Kangi Ska Send a private message to Kangi Ska Jul 11 2011, 9:35am
                But then... dormouse Send a private message to dormouse Jul 11 2011, 1:22pm
                    These? Pipe Dream Send a private message to Pipe Dream Jul 11 2011, 1:50pm
                        They could be just about anything, I know... dormouse Send a private message to dormouse Jul 11 2011, 4:22pm
    Really not convinced about Bilbo's ears... Dwimbruk Send a private message to Dwimbruk Jul 9 2011, 9:56pm
        Wait Kangi Ska Send a private message to Kangi Ska Jul 9 2011, 10:00pm
        Agree about the ears. Estel78 Send a private message to Estel78 Jul 9 2011, 10:07pm
        I actually didn't notice them MarillŽ by the Sea Send a private message to MarillŽ by the Sea Jul 9 2011, 10:50pm
            Earlier Posts mentioned the Red Dots? Bombadil Send a private message to Bombadil Jul 9 2011, 11:35pm
                Reviewing it all again...I see Red Dots in... Bombadil Send a private message to Bombadil Jul 10 2011, 1:52am
                    Just a guess... Pipe Dream Send a private message to Pipe Dream Jul 10 2011, 12:34pm
        After watching the video namarie Send a private message to namarie Jul 11 2011, 10:22pm
    Is this a sketch of Thorin in Thranduil's hall? Kyriel Send a private message to Kyriel Jul 11 2011, 12:58am
        I think you could be right... architecthis Send a private message to architecthis Jul 11 2011, 2:37pm
    Image 20 taekotemple Send a private message to taekotemple Jul 11 2011, 3:58am
        yes , I noticed that too namarie Send a private message to namarie Jul 11 2011, 10:25pm
    Image 18: Bones... Leviathan's Bane Send a private message to Leviathan's Bane Jul 11 2011, 4:10pm
        I'm guessing... taekotemple Send a private message to taekotemple Jul 12 2011, 3:14am
    *Black* Book of Westmarch?? Leviathan's Bane Send a private message to Leviathan's Bane Jul 11 2011, 4:22pm

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.