Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Frame by Frame: Production Video Number 2
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

News From Bree
spymaster@theonering.net

Jul 9 2011, 12:25pm

Post #1 of 76 (4288 views)
Shortcut
Frame by Frame: Production Video Number 2 Can't Post

With Peter Jackson's release of the second production video from The Hobbit on Facebook, we found ourselves with a lot of new visuals from the upcoming films. Among the highlights are Hugo Weaving as Elrond, a peek at Legolas's costuming, Goblin-town and more! We are taking a look at each picture individually and have offered our comments and suggestions. Like you, we are purely speculating! Each pic has a number associated with it, and you can click on it for the super high res version. We'd love to hear your thoughts and opinions - just comment on this post, on Facebook and in our Forums! Reference the number when you comment, as we plan on updating this post with your thoughts as well. Oh yea, there be SPOILERS ahead!

Click on the header links to see the full-screen version.

1. Image 01 - Wrap of Filming

Shooting wraps on the first 54 days of filming. Peter Jackson with the first unit on the left, in what looks to be a set for Goblintown. Andy Serkis with the second unit on the right, also on a set that looks like Goblin-town.

2. Image 02 - Wrap of Filming

Just another look at the suspected Goblin-town sets. The set design implies evil - pointy objects, skulls, some kind of caged animal.

3. Image 03 - Andy on Goblin-town Set?

Larger view of the suspected Goblin-town set. Second unit directory Andy Serkis announcing the wrap of the first phase of filming.

4. Image 04 - Peter at Bilbo's Desk in Bag End

A wonderful shot of Peter Jackson at Bilbo's desk in Bag End, Hobbiton. Check out the high res for all the little details!

5. Image 05 - Peter and Andy at Bilbo's Desk in Bag End

Andy joins Peter in the Bag End set. Love the hair-do and beard Andy!

6. Image 06 - PJ and Andy are shown to be in a very small Bag End set

Notice the screen caps on the right? Sure looks to us like screen caps from The Fellowship of the Ring for reference.

7. Image 07- Martin Freeman and Andy Serkis in Gollum's Cave

A great peek at the Gollum's Cave set. Andy is sneaking towards Bilbo as they play Riddles in the Dark.

8. Image 08 - Andy Serkis as Gollum in Motion Capture

Andy Serkis playing Gollum on the Gollum Cave set. He completed most of his filming before taking over as Second Unit director.

9. Image 09 - Woodland Location

This appears to be some type of wooded scene. Based on the actor in the motion capture suit, this could be the stone roll sequence? The monitors seem to show a campground type layout.

10-11. Images 10 & 11 - Woodland Scene Part 2

We see what looks to be bags/gear that would be carried by Dwarves here. This could be a sister shot to the one previous, or it could be the campground near the entrance to Goblin-town.

12. Image 12 - Hugo Weaving as Elrond and Martin Freeman as Bilbo Baggins in Rivendell

One of the most exciting shots from this video...here we see Hugo Weaving as Elrond and Martin Freeman as Bilbo Baggins. Unless there are some significant changes to the story, this is in Rivendell.

13. Image 13 - Bilbo and Elrond in Rivendell

A view from the back as Elrond and Bilbo take direction from PJ.

14. Image 14 - Andy Serkis Motion Capture

A view behind the scenes as we see a close-up on Gollum aka Andy Serkis

15. Image 15 - More Goblin-town?

Peter Jackson wearing the '200 Days to Go' shirt (soon to be an Ebay hot item!) on the set of Goblin-town?

16. Image 16 - More filming in Goblin-town?

Possibly more of Goblin-town

17. Image 17 - And once more...Goblin-town?

The crew anxiously awaiting wrap on the first phase of filming. Probably another Goblin-town set.

18. Image 18 - Ann Maskrey with Legolas Costume Sketches and more...

In the background we can see a few new costume designs for Orlando Bloom as Legolas, as well as various buttons, decorations, buckles, etc. Most of them look dwarvish.

19. Image 19 - Tami Lane with Orc/Goblin in Background

Check out the image posted on the mirror. Looks like a fighting Uruk-hai, but could possibly be photo reference for the 'new' Goblins? Or are they Orcs? Come to think of it...will we get 'Orc-town' now? Hrm....

20. Image 20 - Peter King with Dwarven Beards

Peter King with various Dwarven beards and prosthetics in the background.

21. Image 21 - PJ Reviewing Footage

While its rather blurry, the scene on the monitor seems to be a camp/woodland type scene. Possibly the final footage from the scenes we saw earlier.

22. Image 22 - Bilbo walking around...

We can definitely see Martin Freeman as Bilbo on the screen, but are unsure of the character that appears on the 'bridge' type element in the background. Maybe he is sneaking around Goblin-town? Or Mirkwood? Or possibly Lake-town? Your guess is as good as ours!

23. Image 23 - The All-Stars

We've got a lot of folks in this shot including Alan Lee (left) and John Howe (right). We see a lot of concept sketches on the walls and table. You'll also notice the set mock-ups in the foreground are similar to what we saw in the footage above. What do you think we see? Is that the Lonely Mountain aboveĀ Dan Hennah's head?

24. Image 24 - Richard Taylor shows some Cool Stuff!

There is a lot to take in with this picture as well. Along the back wall we see a Goblin head? Near Richard Taylor's right shoulder it looks like a headless Troll maquette?

======================================

We hope you enjoyed this look at the images from PJ's production video. If you have comments or suggestions, please do not hesitate to leave them in our comments or on Facebook or in our forums! We'll be updating this post pretty often with your thoughts as they come in.

(This post was edited by Silverlode on Jul 9 2011, 7:07pm)

Bombadil
Half-elven

Jul 9 2011, 6:07pm

Post #2 of 76 (1050 views)
Shortcut
I'm clicking on Each and am NOT getting a HighRES image? [In reply to] Can't Post

Maybe tweak your HTML...since it's not working? xoxoxOB

Morok Cloudkeeper
Rohan

Jul 9 2011, 6:24pm

Post #3 of 76 (1026 views)
Shortcut
Scroll down [In reply to] Can't Post

You need to scroll down and click on the bigger photos for high-res images.

Power can be held in the smallest of things...

Morok Cloudkeeper
Rohan

Jul 9 2011, 6:32pm

Post #4 of 76 (1073 views)
Shortcut
Image 14 [In reply to] Can't Post

Does anyone know on Image 14 what this high-tech equipment with red buttons is used for? I'm quite interested. Hehe,and Andy's face in this photo.Smile

(This post was edited by Legos on Jul 9 2011, 6:34pm)

R11
Lorien

Jul 9 2011, 6:45pm

Post #5 of 76 (1008 views)
Shortcut
Nothing [In reply to] Can't Post

Clickable anywhere for me either...

ron

Morok Cloudkeeper
Rohan

Jul 9 2011, 6:52pm

Post #6 of 76 (979 views)
Shortcut
Open up another tab [In reply to] Can't Post

Open up another tab then click continue reading on the topic and then scroll down all the way to the bottom to see the bigger photos.

PattyJB
Rivendell

Jul 9 2011, 6:54pm

Post #7 of 76 (983 views)
Shortcut
Clickable links are on ToRN homepage article [In reply to] Can't Post

There are no links to the pictures in the post, but if you go here: http://www.theonering.net/...number-2/#more-45874 and scroll down to the bottom of the article, there are pics there you can click on for the hi-res versions.

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 9 2011, 6:56pm

Post #8 of 76 (992 views)
Shortcut
Their gallery link didn't work. [In reply to] Can't Post

Give me a few minutes to play with the formatting and see if I can get some clickable links working.

Silverlode

"Of all faces those of our familiares are the ones both most difficult to play fantastic tricks with, and most difficult really to see with fresh attention. They have become like the things which once attracted us by their glitter, or their colour, or their shape, and we laid hands on them, and then locked them in our hoard, acquired them, and acquiring ceased to look at them.
Creative fantasy, because it is mainly trying to do something else [make something new], may open your hoard and let all the locked things fly away like cage-birds. The gems all turn into flowers or flames, and you will be warned that all you had (or knew) was dangerous and potent, not really effectively chained, free and wild; no more yours than they were you."
-On Fairy Stories

Bombadil
Half-elven

Jul 9 2011, 6:57pm

Post #9 of 76 (1025 views)
Shortcut
RED is the Opposite Color.... of Green, so my thought is it is a... [In reply to] Can't Post

Distancing referenceing that is needed for the 3D techies in their Montiors....

just like Andy's Mo-Cap with the White Dots all over his Body.
3D tweaks on the scenery later as they Edit...
to make is accurate.
Cinema History is something to see in See-imas soon, and
we TORNians get to be,
IN on it,
WAY Beyond Awesome!. xoxoOB

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 9 2011, 7:08pm

Post #10 of 76 (967 views)
Shortcut
Done. Click on each photo title to see the full-screen version. // [In reply to] Can't Post

Silverlode

"Of all faces those of our familiares are the ones both most difficult to play fantastic tricks with, and most difficult really to see with fresh attention. They have become like the things which once attracted us by their glitter, or their colour, or their shape, and we laid hands on them, and then locked them in our hoard, acquired them, and acquiring ceased to look at them.
Creative fantasy, because it is mainly trying to do something else [make something new], may open your hoard and let all the locked things fly away like cage-birds. The gems all turn into flowers or flames, and you will be warned that all you had (or knew) was dangerous and potent, not really effectively chained, free and wild; no more yours than they were you."
-On Fairy Stories

Morok Cloudkeeper
Rohan

Jul 9 2011, 7:19pm

Post #11 of 76 (981 views)
Shortcut
Image 17 [In reply to] Can't Post

What could possibly be in that cage in image 17? A large bird maybe? Or one of Smeagol's relatives?

Bombadil
Half-elven

Jul 9 2011, 7:24pm

Post #12 of 76 (934 views)
Shortcut
Silverload Thank you since I didn't want to go Our Home page and then Jump.. [In reply to] Can't Post

Back the to Forums to comment...You Rock!

"It's Working" (Merry)..."I know it's workding" (Pippen) xoxoOB

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 9 2011, 7:24pm

Post #13 of 76 (1038 views)
Shortcut
Goblin-town or Dol Guldur? [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm not convinced that all these sets are Goblin-town. We've got lots of roots going in all directions, which you wouldn't expect to see deep under the mountain. Also Sylvester McCoy was filming in this block, which means that they likely have been shooting some scenes at Rhosgobel or Dol Guldur. Some of those shots look more to me like Dol Guldur, which may have the look of a fortress being reclaimed by the forest.

Silverlode

-On Fairy Stories

(This post was edited by Silverlode on Jul 9 2011, 7:26pm)

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Jul 9 2011, 7:26pm

Post #14 of 76 (1011 views)
Shortcut
Pony [In reply to] Can't Post

I've gone through the scene many times, i'm pretty sure that in the back is a pony or a horse.

22. Image 22 - Bilbo walking around...

We can definitely see Martin Freeman as Bilbo on the screen, but are unsure of the character that appears on the 'bridge' type element in the background. Maybe he is sneaking around Goblin-town? Or Mirkwood? Or possibly Lake-town? Your guess is as good as ours!

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 9 2011, 7:30pm

Post #15 of 76 (957 views)
Shortcut
I think you're right. [In reply to] Can't Post

There also seems to be some greenery on the right side of the shot, so I'm thinking a camp scene.

Silverlode

-On Fairy Stories

duats
Grey Havens

Jul 9 2011, 7:32pm

Post #16 of 76 (981 views)
Shortcut
Look at the photo with Richard Taylor [In reply to] Can't Post

There are quite a few goodies in there.

In the background, you can see a bunch of maquettes up on the shelf. I think I spy a warg, possibly Beorn's bear form, and a character wielding a mace.

Also, right behind Taylor on the table, could that be a maquette of The Great Goblin?

Bombadil
Half-elven

Jul 9 2011, 7:35pm

Post #17 of 76 (999 views)
Shortcut
Silverloade is Right, if Silvester McCoy has been there for some time.... [In reply to] Can't Post

he wouldn't have been in NZ........just studying his lines?

The sets of GoblinTown & DolGuldur could easily be reassembled & Lit differently, & Even Color-Graded? to NOT look like the Same Poly-styreen...
and I wouldn't call THAT? Aaaaaa....BUDGET-CUT
...it's what they do all the TIME!
AS we saw LATER in the Video Bog...concerns on the Location Scouting,
much was made
about HOW to get people into Shots
the most Efficiently as possible
.....I see this all the time
in our Theatres here in Denver, Colorado
xoxoOB

(This post was edited by Bombadil on Jul 9 2011, 7:37pm)

Bombadil
Half-elven

Jul 9 2011, 7:47pm

Post #18 of 76 (949 views)
Shortcut
Don't you Groovey Guys and Gals ever use " Zoomed View" in your Browser? [In reply to] Can't Post

I TOOK that picture to 400% and THEN Plus keyed (+) it... agian...OPINION only...I think it a Test-Shot of the Trolls or maybe Bilbo's Test Shot with the Biggest Spider. It doesn't look like a Pony? at 800%...Just saying...xoxoOB

TheRealBeren
Rivendell

Jul 9 2011, 7:51pm

Post #19 of 76 (987 views)
Shortcut
Image 23 [In reply to] Can't Post

Above, on the wall:"CITY OF DALE" and "FIVE ARMIES"?

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Jul 9 2011, 7:59pm

Post #20 of 76 (927 views)
Shortcut
Zooming only makes the picture blurier... [In reply to] Can't Post

Again, i'm pretty sure i can make out the horse, its mane, its muzzle. Bilbo reacts to it as if he wanted to say "quiet!" or maybe he got startled by it. Then he looks up to the right, is there something in the trees perhaps, or a big troll?

namarie
Rohan

Jul 9 2011, 8:06pm

Post #21 of 76 (946 views)
Shortcut
yes I thought so too [In reply to] Can't Post

When I looked at the video I thought those sets were for Dol Guldur.
They resemble a drawing that Peter was looking at, in the first video blog, (a drawing in pencil with some ruins and there was a human form on the drawing- The Necromancer or The Which King) and probably was a drawing of Dol Guldur.

I didn't saw Sylvester McCoy on the set I have to watch the video again :)

There is always hope

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 9 2011, 8:07pm

Post #22 of 76 (919 views)
Shortcut
I wasn't talking about the center mass. [In reply to] Can't Post

But behind Bilbo you can see a horse's neck facing right, with his head mostly obscured behind Bilbo's head. The center part doesn't look so much like ponies to me, although it could be two, side by side facing the camera. Or it might be something else. But there's definitely a pony in the background.

Silverlode

-On Fairy Stories

chrismortega
Bree

Jul 9 2011, 8:08pm

Post #23 of 76 (921 views)
Shortcut
Looks like a pony and two dwarves to me [In reply to] Can't Post

I just watched it again. In the video you can very clearly see that it is a pony. And there seem to be two characters standing next to it. One looks like he might be fiddling with gear on the pony's back. When he turns you can make out what looks like axes on his back, although that could just be what I want to see. So yeah, to me it looks like a pony and two dwarves. But why Bilbo would be sneaking around behind them I don't know.

"It was deliberate, it was deliberate..."

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 9 2011, 8:10pm

Post #24 of 76 (959 views)
Shortcut
Sylvester McCoy [In reply to] Can't Post

wasn't shown on set, but he was in the "what are you going to do over the break?" segment, which means he's been there working.

Silverlode

-On Fairy Stories

namarie
Rohan

Jul 9 2011, 8:18pm

Post #25 of 76 (899 views)
Shortcut
ah ok, thanks [In reply to] Can't Post

Initially I interpreted wrong

Also Sylvester McCoy was filming in this block

Now I know what you meant :)

There is always hope

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.