Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Two New Images of Bilbo and Gandalf from Empire magazine.
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

DamienEngland
Rivendell

Jun 26 2011, 9:12am

Post #1 of 32 (3701 views)
Shortcut
Two New Images of Bilbo and Gandalf from Empire magazine. Can't Post

http://www.empireonline.com/.../story.asp?NID=31328

(This post was edited by DamienEngland on Jun 26 2011, 9:13am)

mulubinba
Rivendell

Jun 26 2011, 9:24am

Post #2 of 32 (1550 views)
Shortcut
sounds good ... [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for posting. A visit to the set!! I hope someone has the edition so we can have a peep. Smile

Rufus
Bree

Jun 26 2011, 9:31am

Post #3 of 32 (1499 views)
Shortcut
sounds great [In reply to] Can't Post

This sounds good I love that the Dwarves walk about the set like they own the place as I have been worried about all the LOR characters who are returning whether they are in the hobbit or not. This is Bilbo and the Dwarves story after all.

I'm just waiting for Dr Death to get upset about the "excotic dwarf "quote WinkEvil

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jun 26 2011, 9:50am

Post #4 of 32 (1553 views)
Shortcut
Hmmm...so [In reply to] Can't Post

the dwarves are going to be "sneered at" by the Elves of Rivendell upon arrival? I suppose they're going to emphasize the poor Elf/Dwarf relations all the way through..first at Rivendell, then when they are imprisoned by the Elves of Mirkwood, and the Bof5A and carrying right on into LOTR with Legolas/Gimli. Not surprising really, but I guess this means that either there will be no "Tra-la-la-lally" or it will have a definite "neener neener" quality to it.

Silverlode

"Of all faces those of our familiares are the ones both most difficult to play fantastic tricks with, and most difficult really to see with fresh attention. They have become like the things which once attracted us by their glitter, or their colour, or their shape, and we laid hands on them, and then locked them in our hoard, acquired them, and acquiring ceased to look at them.
Creative fantasy, because it is mainly trying to do something else [make something new], may open your hoard and let all the locked things fly away like cage-birds. The gems all turn into flowers or flames, and you will be warned that all you had (or knew) was dangerous and potent, not really effectively chained, free and wild; no more yours than they were you."
-On Fairy Stories

LoremIpsum
Lorien

Jun 26 2011, 9:55am

Post #5 of 32 (1447 views)
Shortcut
Can't wait to get my copy [In reply to] Can't Post

Love the new photos Cool, though Gandalf does not look younger despite what they say on the cover.

bookgirl13
Lorien

Jun 26 2011, 11:05am

Post #6 of 32 (1484 views)
Shortcut
Well they were mocked by the elves [In reply to] Can't Post

When they arrived at Rivendell, IIRC the elves did mock them for their long beards and say that Bilbo should stay outside with them rather than continuing into the Homely House with the dull dwarves.

Sounds a lot like sneering to me - with a bit more laughter and less curled lip.

Pipe Dream
Gondor

Jun 26 2011, 11:09am

Post #7 of 32 (1423 views)
Shortcut
I knew there would be more! [In reply to] Can't Post

We have to wait four more days to find out what.

"There is a long road yet," said Gandalf. "But it is the last road," said Bilbo.

Maiarmike
Grey Havens

Jun 26 2011, 11:16am

Post #8 of 32 (1404 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for this! [In reply to] Can't Post

Can't wait to get the full story! Indeed this may very well be a "good-luck charm" of sorts to have Empire once again feature The Hobbit. Ian looks spectacular on the cover, properly grungy and dirty, and always smoking. He's The Dude of Middle-Earth.

"I warn you, if you bore me, I shall take my revenge"
--J.R.R. Tolkien

"Smokey, this is not 'Nam. This is bowling. There are rules."
--Walter Sobchak

DrDeath153
Lorien

Jun 26 2011, 11:17am

Post #9 of 32 (1511 views)
Shortcut
I'm actually quite optimistic [In reply to] Can't Post

'Exotic' isn't exactly a dirty word, in fact i would think the dwarves should look a bit 'exotic' within the middle-english surroundings of the Shire, and in the refined world of Rivendell they would look even more out of place. Just so long as it isn't kind of 'greasy italian waiter' exoticLaugh.

From what little we get from those comments i'm very much encouraged by PJ's comments about the tone of it- he seems to have 'updated' or at least made the nature of the tonal shift a bit more mature than some toothless infantilism. You can kind of imagine that rather than the grandiose and reverential entrances of the participants in the Council of Elrond, Thorin and company would be bundled into the back entrance as a kind of embarrassment. PJ mentioned that we'll be seeing parts of Rivendell that we haven't before, and if he means that in the sense of the House of Elrond then i notice on the miniature from LotR that there's a rather spacious, low domed type of gazebo that might serve well as accommodation for the dwarves. The mention in this article too of them having a 'healthy disregard for the icons of Middle-earth' coupled with PJ's 'old friend' in the first production video suggests we're likely to see a bit of a reprise of the Boromir/Aragorn moment from Fellowship of the Ring over the Shards of Narsil- i imagine something along the lines of Thorin taking a similar tour round the gallery and when faced with the mural of mankind's finest moment snorting in derision in the kind of 'You call that heroic? Piece of piss' fashion while rolling his eyes. They could go as far as having Thorin use one of the shards to pick a fingernail or trim a bit of hair that's annoying him but that would probably be a bit more than i'd like and be kind of bordering on the sacrilegious.

Of course all of this is pure speculation but it's the kind of direction PJ could go in reconciling the lightness of The Hobbit with the more adult developed Middle-earth of LotR.

Dr Death

Maiarmike
Grey Havens

Jun 26 2011, 11:20am

Post #10 of 32 (1460 views)
Shortcut
LOL...that would be priceless comedy. [In reply to] Can't Post

Laugh

"I warn you, if you bore me, I shall take my revenge"
--J.R.R. Tolkien

"Smokey, this is not 'Nam. This is bowling. There are rules."
--Walter Sobchak

FarFromHome
Valinor

Jun 26 2011, 12:24pm

Post #11 of 32 (1445 views)
Shortcut
The tra-la-lally [In reply to] Can't Post

in the book is mockery. At least, that's how it's always come across to me.
"Well, well!” said a voice. "Just look! Bilbo the hobbit on a pony, my dear! Isn’t it delicious!" ... Then off they went into another song as ridiculous as the one I have written down in full.
If that's not sneering and mockery, I don't know what is! (It's rather precious, Oxford-tinged mockery, I admit. There are a couple of great examples of this in the early Oxford-set episodes of Brideshead Revisited - the novel and the TV adaptation at any rate, I can't remember whether they make it into the recent movie. I'm far from sure that Jackson will keep quite that tone, but I think he's picked up on something important and I'll be looking forward to seeing what he does with it.)

They went in, and Sam shut the door.
But even as he did so, he heard suddenly,
deep and unstilled,
the sigh and murmur of the Sea upon the shores of Middle-earth.
From the unpublished Epilogue to the Lord of the Rings

eralkfang
Lorien

Jun 26 2011, 3:54pm

Post #12 of 32 (1253 views)
Shortcut
Tra-la-lally… [In reply to] Can't Post

I have no idea what they'll do in the film with it, but man, that song is grating—they are definitely mocking them. I think it was the Tolkien Professor who pointed out that Bilbo and the dwarves are in pretty bad condition while the elves are content to poke fun at them.

Ruijor
Rohan

Jun 26 2011, 3:58pm

Post #13 of 32 (1354 views)
Shortcut
What I understand from Peter´s words... [In reply to] Can't Post

“The tone is actually the part of it I’m enjoying the most,” he laughs, casting a fond eye upon his rabble of exotic dwarves, clattering about set like they own the place. “They have a healthy disregard for the icons of Middle-earth.

Isn´t Peter stating that he will introduce a more lither tone than LOTR? I just hope we don´t get too much dwarven comic relief.

About the pictures... I have to say once again: Bilbo looks too young, I wish Martin Freeman could blend a little better with the looks of Ian Holm as Bilbo. Regarding Gandalf I can´t see where he looks any younger than before, he seems even ragged and dirty...

Bombadil
Half-elven

Jun 26 2011, 4:48pm

Post #14 of 32 (1248 views)
Shortcut
Well, my take on this.... [In reply to] Can't Post

The MORE innocent and somewhat childish and confused Bilbo is at the First, then his Growing up and becoming a true Brave Burgler is exactly Right. I expect that it will be very funny in BagEnd, and with each adventure we will see his Maturity growing....until he is pretty Wise to the Ways of MiddleEarth!
by the End of H2. Along with him we see all of....the Seriousness of the Events happening in this Third Age.

Just as "We grew into the Adulthood?" when we read it the first time.

Eventually when we get to see all 5 Movies in a row, on Bly-ray down the Long road, the Over-all ARC of Development of the 5 will make perfect sense!

(Then we all can Sail into the West, knowing PJ&CO did his best, to please the Professor...JRRT would be proud of them!) xoxoxOB

(This post was edited by Bombadil on Jun 26 2011, 4:50pm)

seelbach
The Shire

Jun 26 2011, 5:06pm

Post #15 of 32 (1262 views)
Shortcut
older younger gandalf [In reply to] Can't Post

I think it looks like they are really playing up the grizzled and crustiness of Gandalf, which doesn't help him look younger.. I would have thought he could take somewhat better care of himself than that! Anyway, the only cue to him being younger is his hair being darker grey. In FOTR his hair was more silver.
Not that Ian McKellan can help aging a bit in the last decade.
Also it kind of works with the story, in that he is shown as looking pretty old, and then after the balrog fight and rebirth, he looks younger and fitter. Gandalf has a vague ageless quality.

rings7
Rohan

Jun 26 2011, 5:20pm

Post #16 of 32 (1216 views)
Shortcut
i hope it has pics of the dwarfs. [In reply to] Can't Post

and the elves.

Wraith Buster
Gondor

Jun 26 2011, 5:37pm

Post #17 of 32 (1190 views)
Shortcut
Next time I'm in Borders [In reply to] Can't Post

or Barnes and Noble around August I'm going to snag that and take a look. Angelic

Pedich Edhellen? Lau? Hria cuilë.

End of line.

duats
Grey Havens

Jun 26 2011, 5:41pm

Post #18 of 32 (1191 views)
Shortcut
You won't have to wait that long [In reply to] Can't Post

The August issue of Empire will be out in July.

eralkfang
Lorien

Jun 26 2011, 6:03pm

Post #19 of 32 (1128 views)
Shortcut
Delays? [In reply to] Can't Post

I know Empire is a British magazine, but I don't know how they handle overseas publishing—I mean, I've obviously seen them in US stores, but I'm wondering if there might not be a delay in it coming over here. An American on tumblr mentioned that her local newsstand doesn't get them until a month later, which means August for US Ringers.

In conclusion, British Ringers, we await your scans. :)

rings7
Rohan

Jun 26 2011, 6:14pm

Post #20 of 32 (1139 views)
Shortcut
They always put scans on a blog i go to [In reply to] Can't Post

It'll be available sooner on the net than on stores for sure.

willowing
Lorien

Jun 26 2011, 6:20pm

Post #21 of 32 (1140 views)
Shortcut
Empire magazine [In reply to] Can't Post

Here's hoping they will do justice to the front cover and give the readers more than just 1 or 2 pages(front/back) of news.Wonderful covershot too.Unimpressed

redgiraffe
Rohan

Jun 26 2011, 7:46pm

Post #22 of 32 (1123 views)
Shortcut
Something about Gandalf does look different [In reply to] Can't Post

With the EW mag pics and now these empire mag pics something does look different about Gandalf. I don't know if it's the color of his hair or costume but I know it's definitely the color of something.

that seems strange because he looked EXACTLY the same as he did in FOTR when we saw the pic of him the the 3d glasses on. Anyone else agree with me or have thoughts on this?

Also, I'm not complaining, I'm just trying to make an observation.

-Sir are you classified as human
-Negative, I am a meat-popsicle

DrDeath153
Lorien

Jun 26 2011, 8:10pm

Post #23 of 32 (1071 views)
Shortcut
I think it's just the way they've shot that photo [In reply to] Can't Post

Much like the publicity shot of Bilbo and the dwarves, these photos are not as they will appear in the film. I'm not a photography expert but they appear to have taken it in such a way as to emphasise the different textures on gandalf- the wrinkled skin, the rough woolen robe, the strands of hair and so the colours have also been desaturated- his skin looks more brown than a fleshy colour. I wouldn't worry really.

Dr Death

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Jun 26 2011, 8:31pm

Post #24 of 32 (1065 views)
Shortcut
I'm loving the shot of Gandalf! [In reply to] Can't Post

Looks dirtied up. I like dirty. Smile

Mad Hatter of Middle-Earth
Lorien

Jun 26 2011, 8:47pm

Post #25 of 32 (1024 views)
Shortcut
Love it! [In reply to] Can't Post

Martin freeman is the perfect bilbo! Gotta love the elves for their "haughty" personality! I can't wait to see more pics (especially the White Council) and hear Gandalf's classic humor in the Hobbit.

All you have to decide is what to do with the time that has been given to you...

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.