Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
"The Hobbit" Set Pieces Spotted On NZ Highway?

News From Bree
spymaster@theonering.net

May 31 2011, 5:12am

Post #1 of 12 (1754 views)
Shortcut
"The Hobbit" Set Pieces Spotted On NZ Highway? Can't Post

Our friend Jack down in New Zealand who frequently posts Hobbit-related news on his "Noldor Blog" had a stroke of luck while driving out towards Rivendell/Kaitoke Regional Park. He noticed an open truck carrying along what looked like set pieces for a film, most probably The Hobbit, and he managed to snap more than a few high resolution pictures from a couple of different angles.

Here follows an excerpt from his blog (but don't forget to head over to The Noldor Blog to read Jack's entire account and have a look-see at those high resolution pictures we mentioned above.)
We were driving on State Highway 2, heading towards Upper Hutt, and the Kaitoke Regional Park where the Rivendell set was based for LOTR, when in the distance, I couldn't help but notice an interesting cargo on the back of one of the trucks in front of us.

The pictures appear to show a piece of very nice "stone" masonry, with curved tiles on a fairly large wooden base. Also, underneath some camo plastic, there were what appeared to be pre-fabricated wooden fences of some sort.

Have an opinion about which set the pictures show? Our message boards are just the place to discuss with fellow fans!

Wraith Buster
Gondor

May 31 2011, 1:12pm

Post #2 of 12 (621 views)
Shortcut
From what little I can see [In reply to] Can't Post

The fences could be for Bag End(?). At first I thought it could be a Dale set but the more I look at it the more I think it's probably for Moria.
That's cool that he was able to get a picture of it. Knowing me that would be be the ONE day I didn't have my camera on me.Tongue

Pedich Edhellen? Lau? Hria cuil.

End of line.

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

May 31 2011, 1:31pm

Post #3 of 12 (581 views)
Shortcut
Why would Moria be in the Hobbit? [In reply to] Can't Post

Other than the outside eastern door.

Kangi Ska Resident Trickster & Wicked White Crebain
Life is an adventure, not a contest.

At night you can not tell if crows are black or white.
Photobucket

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 31 2011, 1:32pm

Post #4 of 12 (591 views)
Shortcut
Someone on Facebook commented that... [In reply to] Can't Post

... those stick-like things in the back could be an eagle's nest. I'd never have thought of that! Cool

Crunchable Birdses
Rohan

May 31 2011, 2:22pm

Post #5 of 12 (573 views)
Shortcut
all the backstory with Thror and Thrain and Azog etc [In reply to] Can't Post

which is confirmed to be in it.

* crunch *

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

May 31 2011, 3:32pm

Post #6 of 12 (503 views)
Shortcut
None of the story goes inside Moria.// [In reply to] Can't Post

Kangi Ska Resident Trickster & Wicked White Crebain
Life is an adventure, not a contest.

At night you can not tell if crows are black or white.
Photobucket

The Grey Wanderer
Lorien

May 31 2011, 4:34pm

Post #7 of 12 (513 views)
Shortcut
The stone work has curves in it, so not dwarvish... [In reply to] Can't Post

all the dwarvish stone work is deliberately straight lines if I recall correctly. The curves are more reminisent of the armor worn by the elves in the prologue to FOTR.

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

May 31 2011, 4:42pm

Post #8 of 12 (483 views)
Shortcut
This was my thought as well [In reply to] Can't Post

and it seems to elegant to be part of Dol Guldur. Could this be a part of the Elvenking's halls?

My LiveJournal
My Costuming Site
TORn's Costume Discussions Archive

SteveDJ
Rivendell

May 31 2011, 8:24pm

Post #9 of 12 (448 views)
Shortcut
The wall has wheels [In reply to] Can't Post

And one thing I thought was interesting to see was the wheels on the wall, to make it so much easier to move around on set! :) Nice little extra behind-the-scenes tidbit... loved it!

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Jun 1 2011, 2:48am

Post #10 of 12 (389 views)
Shortcut
There are other underground locations. [In reply to] Can't Post

No Moria, but there are the caverns in the Lonely Mtn as well as the underground halls of the Mirkwood Elves.

Sign up now to lead a chapter discussion in LotR "The Return of the King" Book V! Discussions start June 5!

Elizabeth is the TORnsib formerly known as 'erather'

Sunflower
Valinor

Jun 1 2011, 3:40am

Post #11 of 12 (371 views)
Shortcut
I thought of Dale too... [In reply to] Can't Post

seeing those Edoras-like "bundles of thatch" floating free from the packed wood Iit would be cool indeed to see traces of Rohirric archictecture in Lake-town) but Im really stumped. Rivendell probably...but the fence?

Maybe the entrance to Thranduil's Halls?
Thenagain, if this is Rivendell, interesting that this is being done right after the video diary went up, leading people to believe Rivendell was going to be all an indoor set...if this is true, nice try keeping it secret, Peter

Maiarmike
Grey Havens

Jun 1 2011, 3:48am

Post #12 of 12 (463 views)
Shortcut
My guess would be... [In reply to] Can't Post

...Dale or possibly Esgaroth.

"I warn you, if you bore me, I shall take my revenge"
--J.R.R. Tolkien

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.