Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Casting News! Thranduil and Fili
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

taekotemple
Grey Havens

May 1 2011, 1:04am

Post #51 of 96 (993 views)
Shortcut
Ah! I remember him now! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for the pic! I knew that something would jog my memory.

It's probably a smart casting move that they chose him. He's done combat in film before, so it could be an easier training process for him, so he could be prepared faster for when it comes time to film him.

sharku
Rivendell

May 1 2011, 1:11am

Post #52 of 96 (996 views)
Shortcut
Ages [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

In Reply To
While Pace is two years younger than Bloom, I would say that he looks older than him.

Honestly two years is not even a noticeable age difference. Yeah, when you are 3 years old it's a huge difference, but when you're in your 30s it really doesn't make a difference.

It makes even less difference when one guy (Thranduil) is over 3000 years-old and the other (Legolas) is anywhere between 500 and 3000.

[source: http://lotr.wikia.com/wiki/Thranduil]

Demosthenes
Sr. Staff

May 1 2011, 1:37am

Post #53 of 96 (1040 views)
Shortcut
the confirmation you're having when you're not quite having one [In reply to] Can't Post

The idea that Hugo Weaving "just dropped by" is almost farcical. It's a very nod-wink nudge-nudge say-no-more situation.

TheOneRing.net Senior Staff
IRC Admin and HOF moderator
----
Words With Pictures

Amigo
The Shire

May 1 2011, 2:44am

Post #54 of 96 (1012 views)
Shortcut
He's technically not the first American... [In reply to] Can't Post

...since Elijah Wood has already been cast as Frodo.

Speak "friend" and enter.

Eruthurin
Rivendell

May 1 2011, 3:13am

Post #55 of 96 (914 views)
Shortcut
:O ! [In reply to] Can't Post

I insist!.... hot dwarves!... actually i thought at first O'Gorman was abtou to play Thranduil and Lee Fili !.... not the other way around!!!!..... :O

:: All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you ::

willowing
Lorien

May 1 2011, 4:04am

Post #56 of 96 (960 views)
Shortcut
Hello To Dean O'Gorman and Lee Pace.. [In reply to] Can't Post

When the casting first began for the lead roles in The Hobbit, I had my misgivings about some of the actors selected for the dwarf roles and Bilbo Baggins. As The Hobbit has gone into full swing with filming and regular updates appearing on different websites and forums this has silenced my doubts.

Peter made the right choices back then, and I will agree with his choosing of Dean and Lee to take on the roles of Fili and Thranduil respectively.

All the best to Dean, you will have no problems fitting into the role of Fili.

I have never heard of Lee Pace before this...but he does seem to have the looks and the physique to portray a character like Thranduil.

Laugh

duats
Grey Havens

May 1 2011, 5:21am

Post #57 of 96 (901 views)
Shortcut
The cherry on top of this news [In reply to] Can't Post

With Thranduil cast, this leaves Bill Nighy open for Smaug Smile.

pandoraziki
Rivendell

May 1 2011, 5:29am

Post #58 of 96 (898 views)
Shortcut
I loved Lee Pace in Pushing Daisies! [In reply to] Can't Post

Still miss that quirky whimsical show.

Bryan
Bree

May 1 2011, 5:57am

Post #59 of 96 (865 views)
Shortcut
When was Treebeard's voice announced? [In reply to] Can't Post

I have a feeling that Smaug will be a mystery for at least another whole year.

duats
Grey Havens

May 1 2011, 6:28am

Post #60 of 96 (912 views)
Shortcut
Another upside to Pace [In reply to] Can't Post

He has an almost flawless British accent.

Check it out in Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day and Ceremony.

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 1 2011, 8:02am

Post #61 of 96 (812 views)
Shortcut
Those are like MY eyebrows... well, almost [In reply to] Can't Post

That's the first thing I thought of when I saw him Evil

Bound
Rohan

May 1 2011, 8:25am

Post #62 of 96 (818 views)
Shortcut
Interesting casting news... [In reply to] Can't Post

I have a copy of THE FALL but have yet to watch it, might dig it out and give it a look today... Glad they cast Fili so quickly, i'm guessing this guy was there number two choice...

The man in black fled across the desert and the gunslinger followed

Bound
Rohan

May 1 2011, 8:28am

Post #63 of 96 (2077 views)
Shortcut
Robert Kazinsky comments on his replacement... [In reply to] Can't Post

From his twitter account :

Would like to wish Dean O'Gorman the very best on the incredible journey he's about to join, great actor will do a great job.

That's pretty gracious and polite and all above board i would say, well played Rob. Best of luck with the health and future work.

Garfeimao
Rohan

May 1 2011, 9:10am

Post #64 of 96 (842 views)
Shortcut
Well played by Rob [In reply to] Can't Post

I was almost right, I guessed Fili would be recast by Friday, and instead, it was Saturday. Oh well.

I liked O'Gorman in Young Hercules and know he's done lots of stunt fighting before so he should be able to jump right in. In fact, he had a black belt by the time he was 10, so he's had lots of fight training and will probably get to be a featured fighter in the films.

As for Lee, loved him in Pushing Daisies (such an adorably quirky show) and Mrs. Pettigrew lives for a Day. Need to see The Fall, always intended to see it in the theaters, but then it wasn't out that long, so I guess it's Netflix for me right now. He's so tall and lean, and he's got a really mellow delivery most of the time, so I'm guessing he'll have no problems with playing a monarch.

Peace, Love and Rock & Roll,

Garfeimao
The orange stripey One

Cruise to Middle-earth

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

May 1 2011, 10:15am

Post #65 of 96 (804 views)
Shortcut
Now that is class. [In reply to] Can't Post

Good on you Rob - what a gentleman you are.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Flagg
Tol Eressea

May 1 2011, 12:21pm

Post #66 of 96 (809 views)
Shortcut
All right [In reply to] Can't Post

It's difficult for me to get excited about the casting of a couple of actors whom I've neither seen nor heard of – they would not be my first choices at all. I'm sure they'll do a capable job (Peter Jackson has generally chosen appropriate actors in the past), but as with the countless other announcements of 'unknown' actors for these films I find myself feeling a little disappointed.

Maiarmike
Grey Havens

May 1 2011, 12:34pm

Post #67 of 96 (755 views)
Shortcut
It's easy to feel that way. [In reply to] Can't Post

I remember saying that about 99% of the actors in LotR, with the exception of Elijah, Sean Astin, and Ian Holm. I even remember thinking that there was no way Sir Ian McKellen would be any good because I had never heard of him before X-Men and LotR. It's clear that at this point, PJ casts based on how well actors read for the parts and not by familiarity or fame. He could get anybody he wants considering the high-profile nature of this production. Honestly, I'm glad they're not going the Harry Potter route, and trying to get every big named actor they can, it ruins the illusion for me.

"I'm just a happy camper! Rockin' and a-rollin!"

RoseCotton
Lorien

May 1 2011, 1:07pm

Post #68 of 96 (743 views)
Shortcut
A much better guess than mine... [In reply to] Can't Post

<I was almost right, I guessed Fili would be recast by Friday, and instead, it was Saturday. Oh well.>

As stated elsewhere, I didn't think PJ would announce Fili's replacement so quickly. I had imagined he'd give a new actor in that role a bit of 'seasoning' time before making it official to be doubly sure that there'd not need to be a replacement replacement later.

I suppose it's not all that likely for actors to drop out after accepting a role -- especially in such a high-profile movie -- so I suppose that means two successive actors having to quit would be particularly unlikely.

Crunchable Birdses
Rohan

May 1 2011, 1:35pm

Post #69 of 96 (825 views)
Shortcut
One thing about Dean O'Gorman [In reply to] Can't Post

I notice he's a New Zealand actor. Before he was announced I was thinking about the logistics involved in casting another British or American actor, who would have to be able to move to New Zealand (and stay for a long time) with basically zero notice. With the unusual situation of Fili's emergency recasting, do you think the team were pretty much forced to only consider local talent?

* crunch *

rings7
Rohan

May 1 2011, 1:54pm

Post #70 of 96 (749 views)
Shortcut
Where you around in 1999? [In reply to] Can't Post

I remember 90% of actors in the LOTR trilogy were unknown to me.

It's kinda difficult to cast only superstars/world wide known actors for a big franchise project. Usually these types of movies are mostly used to "introduce" actors into the mainstream arena. And not the other way around.

(This post was edited by rings7 on May 1 2011, 1:56pm)

Oiotári
Tol Eressea

May 1 2011, 2:31pm

Post #71 of 96 (670 views)
Shortcut
That made me smile // [In reply to] Can't Post

..The land of long-forgotten name:
......no man may ever anchor near;
..No steering star his hope may aim,
......for nether Night its marches drear,
..And waters wide no sail may tame,
......with shores encircled dark and sheer.

..O! Haven where my heart would be!
......the waves beat upon thy bar
..For ever echo endlessly,
......when longing leads thy thought afar

dwarf_girl
The Shire

May 1 2011, 3:23pm

Post #72 of 96 (701 views)
Shortcut
The King seems a little young but Fili is hoooot! [In reply to] Can't Post

In here he seems more elvish...

http://www.thecinemasource.com/blog/interviews/lee-pace-interview-for-the-fall/attachment/Lee_Pace-6-The_Fall/

I agree he's maybe too young to play the king. Although I love the cast for Fili, I like him more than the other.

http://

(This post was edited by dwarf_girl on May 1 2011, 3:29pm)

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

May 1 2011, 3:56pm

Post #73 of 96 (597 views)
Shortcut
Is that like an owl? // [In reply to] Can't Post

Kangi Ska Resident Trickster & Wicked White Crebain
Life is an adventure, not a contest.

At night you can not tell if crows are black or white.
Photobucket

rings7
Rohan

May 1 2011, 4:00pm

Post #74 of 96 (712 views)
Shortcut
So it was health issues? [In reply to] Can't Post

the official note was that it was personal issues, i didn't know it was stated as health.Unsure

Bound
Rohan

May 1 2011, 4:03pm

Post #75 of 96 (719 views)
Shortcut
well... [In reply to] Can't Post

Health issues can be personal issues if you don't want to disclose details. Rob sent a message on twitter to a friend saying it was a health issue.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.