Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
MTV Movie Blog talks to Saoirse Ronan on 'The Hobbit'
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

News from Bree
spymaster@theonering.net

Apr 8 2011, 9:47am

Post #1 of 89 (2174 views)
Shortcut
MTV Movie Blog talks to Saoirse Ronan on 'The Hobbit' Can't Post

While there isn't a lot of new information, this might be the first time some of you are seeing Saoirse in person talking about her possible 'Hobbit' role:

Check out the full article at the MTV Movie Blog [Read more]

sphdle1
Gondor

Apr 8 2011, 3:35pm

Post #2 of 89 (622 views)
Shortcut
I didn't know she was Irish [In reply to] Can't Post

Love the accent!

sphdle1

"You shall not pass!"

Owain
Tol Eressea

Apr 8 2011, 4:03pm

Post #3 of 89 (611 views)
Shortcut
Same wording as her Cinema Blend, Screen Rant, and WonderCon... [In reply to] Can't Post

interviews; as well as confirmation that she would like to be an elf and not a hobbit... again.

Middle Earth is New Zealand!

"Question everything, embrace the bad, and hold on to the good."

(This post was edited by Owain on Apr 8 2011, 4:03pm)

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Apr 8 2011, 4:09pm

Post #4 of 89 (562 views)
Shortcut
Because they keep asking her the same questions... again. // [In reply to] Can't Post

Owain
Tol Eressea

Apr 8 2011, 4:16pm

Post #5 of 89 (563 views)
Shortcut
I'm not complaining [In reply to] Can't Post

Just pointing out that the wording is consistent.

Middle Earth is New Zealand!

"Question everything, embrace the bad, and hold on to the good."

Pipe Dream
Gondor

Apr 8 2011, 6:03pm

Post #6 of 89 (559 views)
Shortcut
It seems to me that she is grasping at straws... [In reply to] Can't Post

...trying to get a role through publicity. I do love her accent though, it reminds me of this girl I once knew while in Germany, Fiona was her name...(before Apple arrived on the scene) she had a far thicker accent then Saoirse. It usually took me a few moments to figure out what she was saying. Cool

Photobucket
<<<<There is a long road yet>>>>

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Apr 8 2011, 6:16pm

Post #7 of 89 (545 views)
Shortcut
Grasping? I don't think so... [In reply to] Can't Post

I think she absolutely knows whether or not there is a role for her. She is not yet in a position to publicly confirm it. On the other hand, the "I wouldn't want to be a hobbit" schtick could be a ruse to throw fans off the trail if she is going to portray Primula Brandybuck.

By the way, isn't Saoirse almost too old to play a 20/21 year-old hobbit? I would think that a 14 or 15 year-old actress would be closer to the mark. I suppose that could be chalked up to artistic licence.

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Apr 8 2011, 6:21pm)

duats
Grey Havens

Apr 8 2011, 6:24pm

Post #8 of 89 (522 views)
Shortcut
I hope that's the case [In reply to] Can't Post

But I'm not reading too far into his comment one way or another.

It's fine that she has a preference, but I'd bet my house that she'd take a hobbit role in a heartbeat.

Symbelmine
Rohan

Apr 8 2011, 6:25pm

Post #9 of 89 (545 views)
Shortcut
unconfirmed casting call for Primula: [In reply to] Can't Post

[PRIMULA BRANDYBUCK] Primula is a bright, lively and pretty young Hobbit. She is considered to be ‘wayward’ and ‘not proper’. But PRIMULA doesn’t care. Prone to letting words and thoughts tumble out of her mouth without pause, PRIMULA can also be acutely observant. Kind hearted with a loving nature, she is the type of person who can light up a room
LEAD. AGE: 18-27

I know everyone say S.Ronan has to play an elf but as I watched this MTV interview she would fit for the role of Primula.

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Apr 8 2011, 6:29pm

Post #10 of 89 (525 views)
Shortcut
Well, that's it then... [In reply to] Can't Post

I guess that 'artistic licence' it is. Either Primula is going to look slightly older than her given age (they do say that girls mature faster!) or Jackson is going to tweak Tolkien's timeline once again.

duats
Grey Havens

Apr 8 2011, 6:30pm

Post #11 of 89 (501 views)
Shortcut
And let me put this another way [In reply to] Can't Post

Ronan said that PJ wanted her in The Hobbit during the production of The Lovely Bones, and that he had a specific role in mind.

Now I admit my bias against Itaril, but I have a heard time believing that PJ had a made-up character like Itaril in mind three years ago.

Now, Primula Baggins (the mother of LoTR protagonist Frodo Baggins) on the other hand...

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Apr 8 2011, 6:30pm

Post #12 of 89 (519 views)
Shortcut
Momma always said [In reply to] Can't Post

"If you don't have anything nice to say..."

A few years from now I really want to be the guy who says, "I'm quite surprised by how much SR brought to the films. I was wrong about her, what a talent!"

Until then all I can wonder is when did charisma stop being an essential ingredient of stardom?

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 8 2011, 6:32pm

Post #13 of 89 (502 views)
Shortcut
I've thought that for a while [In reply to] Can't Post

If she really had a part, but was not able to discuss it, she would decline to answer the questions. Instead she talks as if she had the part, but reading her words carefully, you can see the hedging. She "would love to be in New Zealand again", not she's "looking forward to be in New Zealand" again.

If she had a role, but wasn't able to announce it, she would not be talking about whether she's prefer to be an elf or a hobbit.

When actors are still in negotiations, they don't talk about it. It's bad form to negotiate through the press, and casting directors don't appreciate the pressure being applied through the publicity.

Symbelmine
Rohan

Apr 8 2011, 6:33pm

Post #14 of 89 (513 views)
Shortcut
Did she say that PJ had specific role in his mind??? [In reply to] Can't Post

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Apr 8 2011, 6:35pm

Post #15 of 89 (492 views)
Shortcut
Well... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Now I admit my bias against Itaril, but I have a heard time believing that PJ had a made-up character like Itaril in mind three years ago.

Now, Primula Baggins (the mother of LoTR protagonist Frodo Baggins) on the other hand...

I don't find it hard to believe at all that 'Itaril' or some other new character was already floating around in Jackson's mind three years ago.

Let me just add that it is possible that Ms. Ronan could play more than one roll.

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Apr 8 2011, 6:39pm

Post #16 of 89 (506 views)
Shortcut
2PM Eastern Standard Time USA July 3, 1986 [In reply to] Can't Post

charisma was dropped from the list of necessary attributes for actors.

Kangi Ska Resident Trickster & Wicked White Crebain
Life is an adventure, not a contest.

At night you can not tell if crows are black or white.
Photobucket

(This post was edited by Kangi Ska on Apr 8 2011, 6:46pm)

LoremIpsum
Lorien

Apr 8 2011, 6:40pm

Post #17 of 89 (504 views)
Shortcut
Orlando Bloom [In reply to] Can't Post

seemed to be talking in exactly the same way about his involvement in the Hobbit. Lots of "I'd love to be in it" ... "if they asked me I would..." etc..

(This post was edited by LoremIpsum on Apr 8 2011, 6:41pm)

duats
Grey Havens

Apr 8 2011, 6:40pm

Post #18 of 89 (490 views)
Shortcut
I don't think so [In reply to] Can't Post

Jed Brophy, Lawrence Makoare, and Sala Baker had multiple roles, but they played characters that required prosthetics. Thus, their physical appearances could be changed.

Andy Serkis played multiple characters, but they were characters that only required voice work. Physically, Serkis was only Smeagol/Gollum.

John Rhys-Davies played two characters, but one was a CG creation that only required his voice.

So unless Ronan was going to have prosthetic work done, or provide her voice for something, I don't see her playing more than one role.

And the thought of PJ having this made-up elf character in his head three years ago is incredibly disheartening.

(This post was edited by duats on Apr 8 2011, 6:42pm)

Symbelmine
Rohan

Apr 8 2011, 6:51pm

Post #19 of 89 (473 views)
Shortcut
Why not? [In reply to] Can't Post

Even proper and professional make up and wig can change look of a person a lot.

I'm with you about Itaril. I don't want her to be in the movie and I would prefer if S.Ronan played Primula or some minor elf role or both.

(This post was edited by Symbelmine on Apr 8 2011, 6:53pm)

duats
Grey Havens

Apr 8 2011, 6:55pm

Post #20 of 89 (460 views)
Shortcut
Not enough to make her look like a completely different person [In reply to] Can't Post

Makeup wouldn't change her nose, nor her facial structure. Even in Hanna, where she was given a complete makeover, I can still see Ronan.

No thanks. I'd rather not have her in two roles.

Symbelmine
Rohan

Apr 8 2011, 6:59pm

Post #21 of 89 (455 views)
Shortcut
professional masquers can even change the look of a nose [In reply to] Can't Post

I would not recognize her in Hanna if I didn't know it's her. I wouldn't probably recognize her if I saw her completely without make up.
In my own experiences I know make up can make "miracles".

(This post was edited by Symbelmine on Apr 8 2011, 7:00pm)

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Apr 8 2011, 7:00pm

Post #22 of 89 (476 views)
Shortcut
I wasn't making a prediction... [In reply to] Can't Post

,,,just bringing up a possibility. Especially since the role of Primula might not even be a speaking part, but little more than a cameo itself. From the description, though, I would expect her to have at least a few lines.

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Apr 8 2011, 7:02pm)

Symbelmine
Rohan

Apr 8 2011, 7:02pm

Post #23 of 89 (452 views)
Shortcut
If the casting call wasn't fake [In reply to] Can't Post

it looks like Primula will have speaking parts.

Flagg
Tol Eressea

Apr 8 2011, 7:10pm

Post #24 of 89 (479 views)
Shortcut
Saoirse Ronan would make a heck of an interesting Necromancer... [In reply to] Can't Post

Speaking of which, is it true that PJ considered casting Kate Winslet as the Mouth of Sauron? Wikipedia says so, but it's a couple of years since I've listened to the director's commentary on the RotK EE.

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 8 2011, 7:12pm

Post #25 of 89 (463 views)
Shortcut
He hasn't been cast yet either [In reply to] Can't Post

He's seen a script, though, which is more than Ms. Ronan has said.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.