Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
New EWTN Special on J.R.R. Tolkien

News from Bree
spymaster@theonering.net

Apr 5 2011, 10:15am

Post #1 of 13 (1373 views)
Shortcut
New EWTN Special on J.R.R. Tolkien Can't Post

Tolkien biographer Joseph Pearce and artist Jef Murray have collaborated on a new EWTN TV special on J.R.R. Tolkien that will be broadcast this week!. The production will include dozens of Jef's illustrations of Tolkien’s The Lord of the Rings, and it will focus on the Catholicity of Tolkien’s magnum opus. Air dates for the show, which should be accessible worldwide over EWTN and online, are Wednesday, April 6 at 10pm EST, Friday, April 8 at 1pm EST, and Saturday, April 9 at 5am EST. For more information, see the EWTN website . [Click here]

Eruonen
Tol Eressea

Apr 5 2011, 8:26pm

Post #2 of 13 (282 views)
Shortcut
"Tol keen" not Tolkin..... [In reply to] Can't Post

In German the second vowel is long.

squire
Valinor

Apr 5 2011, 10:17pm

Post #3 of 13 (274 views)
Shortcut
Catholicity (universalism) - or Catholicism (of the Roman church)? [In reply to] Can't Post

Pearce's book is more like a literary biography or extended critical essay, rather than a full-featured biography. Carpenter's Tolkien: An Authorized Biography (1977) has never been surpassed as a narrative biography (Scull and Hammond's Tolkien Chronology is a fairly marvelous new work, by the way), and probably won't be until more of Tolkien's papers enter the public domain.

Pearce's Tolkien: Man and Myth (1999) is well-reviewed on its own terms, of course. But it was actually comic for me to browse the Amazon book reviews and read in one:
"Traveling in Christian "fundamentalist" circles, I too often see Tolkien's name associated with occult and New Age activity. Of all criticisms leveled at the man and his works, I'm sure that these unfair allegations would hurt this devout Christian more than all others. Only a profound misunderstanding of the man and his myth ( and Myth, in general ) could lead to such a confused opinion." (Amazon.com, by "A Customer")
As some here may know, there is an ongoing discussion on the Off-Topic Board that takes exactly the opposite position! If there's one thing we can say about our favorite author, it's that he contains multitudes!

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Footeramas: The 3rd (and NOW the 4th too!) TORn Reading Room LotR Discussion; and "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
squiretalk introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Apr 5 2011, 11:38pm

Post #4 of 13 (263 views)
Shortcut
Great find! [In reply to] Can't Post

I wonder who this "A Customer" (if that is their real name) is?

On some points the philosophical divide between Roman Catholics and fundamentalist Christians is felt more acutely than between either one and any other religious tradition. A Customer's remarks are not surprising.

I really want to see this program but EWTN is not available in Canada. Anyone?

(This post was edited by SirDennisC on Apr 5 2011, 11:38pm)

kareniel
Lorien

Apr 5 2011, 11:41pm

Post #5 of 13 (253 views)
Shortcut
Catholicism with a capital "C" [In reply to] Can't Post

The show will explore the influence of Tolkien's Catholic faith on his writing. That influence is really obvious to me because I'm quite an enthusiastic Catholic. The Lord of the Rings just "feels" Catholic to me! Oh, and about the Amazon book reviewer's remarks: Catholicism is not a fundamendalist faith. The reviewer doesn't say as much, but it could easily be inferred by anyone reading his/her comments.

jrpipik
Rivendell

Apr 6 2011, 10:58am

Post #6 of 13 (218 views)
Shortcut
Tolkien and the Great War [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Pearce's book is more like a literary biography or extended critical essay, rather than a full-featured biography. Carpenter's Tolkien: An Authorized Biography (1977) has never been surpassed as a narrative biography (Scull and Hammond's Tolkien Chronology is a fairly marvelous new work, by the way), and probably won't be until more of Tolkien's papers enter the public domain.

I agree about Carpenter. "Tolkien and the Great War" is a terrific account of the TCBS years, though arguably more literary analysis than biography.

FantasyFan
Rohan

Apr 6 2011, 1:04pm

Post #7 of 13 (227 views)
Shortcut
Did any one else click on the EWTN lint and think [In reply to] Can't Post

that the writer of the program is missing the point entirely?

It sounds to me like he's going to propose LOTR as a giant allegory for Christian salvation history: the ring is sin, carrying it is carrying the cross, etc. I think Tolkien, who "detested" allegory as well as deliberately removing overt religiosity from his works, would disapprove.

I don't disagree that the work can be viewed as fundamentally Catholic, but for different reasons. It is Catholic in the Irish sense because all of Middle-earth is imbued with the power of the creator. It is also Catholic in its fundamental view of the goodness of created life (before the marring). It is Catholic before its time in its positive spin on death. Of course, those things may be in the program, but it doesn't sound like it from the teaser blurb.

"That is one thing that Men call 'hope.' Amdir we call it, 'looking up.' But there is another which is founded deeper. Estel we call it, that is 'trust.' It is not defeated by the ways of the world, for it does not come from experience, but from our nature and First Being. If we are indeed the Eruhin, the Children of the One, then He will not suffer Himself to be deprived of His own, not by any enemy, not even by ourselves. This is the last foundation of estel, which we keep even when we contemplate the End. Of all His designs the issue must be for His children's joy."
Finrod, Athrabeth Finrod ah Andreth, HoME X Morgoth's Ring

galadriel
The Shire

Apr 7 2011, 3:33am

Post #8 of 13 (200 views)
Shortcut
Just saw this program on EWTN ... [In reply to] Can't Post

And I thought it was really wonderful! I hope it will be first in a series ... as Joseph Pearce said, there's so much else he could have discussed ... and we hope this could become a whole series!

galadriel

peleowyn
Rivendell

Apr 7 2011, 3:44am

Post #9 of 13 (195 views)
Shortcut
Wonderful program! [In reply to] Can't Post

This show was a real treat - it discussed many of the Christian parallels in LOTR - some of which I was aware of, and some I hadn't picked up on - it was a wonderful little tribute to Tolkien's faith... and how his faith shone through in his writing ... Thank you, Joseph Pearce!

"Look! There is light, and beauty up there, that no Shadow can touch!"

peleowyn
Rivendell

Apr 7 2011, 3:47am

Post #10 of 13 (197 views)
Shortcut
Dear Sir Dennis C ... [In reply to] Can't Post

You can order DVD's of this show by calling 800-854-6316 (we copied that number, which was shown at the end of the program) ...it was really nice!

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Apr 7 2011, 5:20am

Post #11 of 13 (226 views)
Shortcut
Thank you [In reply to] Can't Post

Sorry I missed the broadcast but glad to hear you enjoyed it. Was it a recording of a lecture or something with higher production values?

Just about a year ago some interesting ideas on a similar topic came up in the Reading Room here: http://newboards.theonering.net/...i?post=253968#253968

peleowyn
Rivendell

Apr 7 2011, 3:14pm

Post #12 of 13 (181 views)
Shortcut
Thank you so much for the link, [In reply to] Can't Post

Sir Dennis! It was a little low-budget production with some artwork... an actor portraying Tolkien (and another as C.S. Lewis towards the beginning) and reading from his letters, etc... and little clips of reading from his works, all narrated by Joseph Pearce, who is walking through a forest :) He makes some very interesting points ... Actually I just called EWTN and they don't have the DVD's available yet,but they will soon, so I will keep checking, and can let you know when they're being sold!
I will head now to check out the link - and thank you - I have never checked out the reading room before, and look forward to this!

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Apr 11 2011, 4:05pm

Post #13 of 13 (174 views)
Shortcut
I finally got to watch it.... [In reply to] Can't Post

and it was really very good! The debate between CS Lewis and Tolkien was great!

Thanks for the heads up. I really enjoyed it :)

sample sample

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists
Unused Scenes

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.