Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
KEY ROLES FILLED BY STUART TOWNSEND, SAIORSE RONAN FOR THE HOBBIT

News from Bree
spymaster@theonering.net

Apr 1 2011, 6:50am

Views: 3965
Shortcut
KEY ROLES FILLED BY STUART TOWNSEND, SAIORSE RONAN FOR THE HOBBIT Can't Post

Wellington, NZ, April 1, 2011—Production is underway in Wellington, New Zealand, on "The Hobbit," filmmaker Peter Jackson's two film adaptation of J.R.R. Tolkien's widely read masterpiece.

Set in Middle-earth, "The Hobbit" takes place 60 years before Tolkien's "The Lord of the Rings," which Jackson and his filmmaking team brought to the big screen in the blockbuster trilogy that culminated with the Oscar-winning "The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King."

Joining the all-star cast is actor Stuart Townsend as the grim and heroic Bard. Bard is a skilled archer from the town of Dale, who finds himself holding the fate of his people on the string of his bow. Stuart is no stranger to Middle-earth as he was originally cast as Aragorn in the Oscar-winning "The Lord of the Rings" Trilogy but left the production for personal reasons. "This is a great chance for Stuart to return to Middle-earth and bring his immeasurable talents to the production," said casting director Thomas Williams.

Saiorse Ronan also joins the cast in the role of Itaril, a quick and lithe Silvan elf who is dedicated to protecting the Elf King of Mirkwood. Ms. Ronan was previously directed by Peter Jackson in 2009's critically acclaimed 'The Lovely Bones.'

"The Hobbit" cast already includes Martin Freeman (Bilbo Baggins) and Ian McKellen (Gandalf). The Dwarves are played by Richard Armitage (Thorin Oakenshield), Ken Stott (Balin), Graham McTavish (Dwalin), William Kircher (Bifur) James Nesbitt (Bofur), Stephen Hunter (Bombur), Rob Kazinsky (Fili), Aidan Turner (Kili), Peter Hambleton (Gloin), John Callen (Oin), Jed Brophy (Nori), Mark Hadlow (Dori) and Adam Brown (Ori). Reprising their roles from “The Lord of the Rings” trilogy are Cate Blanchett as Galadriel, Andy Serkis as Gollum and Elijah Wood as Frodo. Further announcements are expected.

"The Hobbit" films are co-produced by New Line Cinema and MGM, with New Line managing production. Warner Bros Pictures is handling worldwide theatrical distribution, with select international territories as well as all international television licensing being handled by MGM. The two films are planned for release in late 2012 and 2013, respectively.

ABOUT NEW LINE CINEMA:

New Line Cinema continues to be one of the most successful independent film companies. For more than 40 years, its mission has been to produce innovative, popular, profitable entertainment in the best creative environment. A pioneer in franchise filmmaking, New Line produced the Oscar-winning "The Lord of the Rings" trilogy, which is a landmark in the history of film franchises. New Line Cinema is a division of Warner Bros.

ABOUT PETER JACKSON/WINGNUT FILMS:

Peter Jackson is one of the world's most successful filmmakers. His monumental achievement co-writing, co-producing and directing The Lord of the Rings trilogy (with fellow Academy Award winners and frequent collaborators Fran Walsh and Philippa Boyens) earned a total of 30 Academy Award nominations and 17 Academy Awards. Jackson and Walsh received their first Oscar nomination for Best Original Screenplay for their acclaimed film Heavenly Creatures. Jackson, through his New Zealand-based Wingnut Films banner, also was responsible for the globally successful 2005 remake of King Kong which earned over $500 million worldwide and 3 Academy Awards. Jackson most recently directed the Academy Award nominated The Lovely Bones; an adaptation of the acclaimed best-selling novel by Alice Sebold, which to date has earned nearly $100 million worldwide; and produced the global sensation, District 9, which received an Academy Award nomination for Best Picture. He is also developing a trilogy of films with Steven Spielberg based on Tintin, the world renowned comic book series by Herge. In 2010 he received a Knighthood for his services to film.

ABOUT METRO-GOLDWYN-MAYER STUDIOS INC.

Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Studios Inc. is actively engaged in the worldwide production and distribution of motion pictures, television programming, home video, interactive media, music, and licensed merchandise. The company owns the world's largest library of modern films, comprising around 4,100 titles. Operating units include Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Studios Inc., Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Pictures Inc., United Artists Films Inc., MGM Television Entertainment Inc., MGM Networks Inc., MGM Distribution Co., MGM International Television Distribution Inc., Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Home Entertainment LLC, MGM ON STAGE, MGM Music, MGM Consumer Products and MGM Interactive. In addition, MGM has ownership interests in domestic and international TV channels reaching over 130 countries. For more information, visit www.mgm.com. What is the date again?

(This post was edited by Silverlode on Apr 1 2011, 7:09pm)

Subject User Time
KEY ROLES FILLED BY STUART TOWNSEND, SAIORSE RONAN FOR THE HOBBIT News from Bree Send a private message to News from Bree Apr 1 2011, 6:50am
    APRIL FOOLS! // macfalk Send a private message to macfalk Apr 1 2011, 12:22pm
        Yes! Alex Maglor Send a private message to Alex Maglor Apr 1 2011, 12:33pm
            Um, welllllllllll ..... DamienEngland Send a private message to DamienEngland Apr 1 2011, 12:41pm
                Yes, the last years prank upset me greatly, because TH was on the verge of getting cancelled that time macfalk Send a private message to macfalk Apr 1 2011, 12:56pm
            Yup, Hope its an april fools, including Itaril Peter Send a private message to Peter Apr 1 2011, 1:36pm
    I don't know what to hope. AlatarVinyamar Send a private message to AlatarVinyamar Apr 1 2011, 12:39pm
    It would certainly be ironic if it was indeed the case. Groppe Send a private message to Groppe Apr 1 2011, 12:52pm
        It's not the case. DamienEngland Send a private message to DamienEngland Apr 1 2011, 12:58pm
            That said, I have a feeling .... DamienEngland Send a private message to DamienEngland Apr 1 2011, 1:05pm
                I also hope the double bluff possibility proves right in some way. farmer maggot Send a private message to farmer maggot Apr 1 2011, 1:23pm
                    Not cool smokerings Send a private message to smokerings Apr 1 2011, 1:26pm
                        I doubt very much Stuart knows or cares. Annael Send a private message to Annael Apr 2 2011, 11:57pm
                    Agreed Brandybuckled Send a private message to Brandybuckled Apr 1 2011, 4:54pm
    I hate to admit it, but you got me for a sec. Pipe Dream Send a private message to Pipe Dream Apr 1 2011, 1:00pm
        no shame in being got... nobofthepony Send a private message to nobofthepony Apr 1 2011, 2:11pm
            Same here Lausus Send a private message to Lausus Apr 1 2011, 2:47pm
    Poor taste April Fool's joke or... andyiomoon Send a private message to andyiomoon Apr 1 2011, 1:01pm
        You haven't been here long enough Ainu Laire Send a private message to Ainu Laire Apr 1 2011, 1:55pm
            True, but Owlyross Send a private message to Owlyross Apr 1 2011, 2:16pm
                Pranks by their very nature are cruel. Kangi Ska Send a private message to Kangi Ska Apr 1 2011, 2:24pm
                well, it wouldn't be a TORn April Fools prank ... Magpie Send a private message to Magpie Apr 1 2011, 2:25pm
    This is in poor taste... Avnar Send a private message to Avnar Apr 1 2011, 1:20pm
    Nice one! Snaga Send a private message to Snaga Apr 1 2011, 1:25pm
    So, it's true... Malveth The Eternal Send a private message to Malveth The Eternal Apr 1 2011, 1:28pm
        Angry much? R11 Send a private message to R11 Apr 1 2011, 8:38pm
    Aw, this actually makes me feel bad for him. The Party Tree Send a private message to The Party Tree Apr 1 2011, 1:33pm
    The shift key must a got stuck on that subject line.// Kangi Ska Send a private message to Kangi Ska Apr 1 2011, 1:39pm
    I must admit, you tricked me for a second. Ainu Laire Send a private message to Ainu Laire Apr 1 2011, 1:53pm
    hahahahaha! you are mean guys!...... Eruthurin Send a private message to Eruthurin Apr 1 2011, 1:56pm
    The worst part... Lindele Send a private message to Lindele Apr 1 2011, 1:59pm
    I almost started to cry, then noticed it was April Fools Day. // deej Send a private message to deej Apr 1 2011, 2:01pm
        I totaly agree. glorinfidell Send a private message to glorinfidell Apr 1 2011, 2:54pm
    Gah! Carne Send a private message to Carne Apr 1 2011, 2:07pm
        Same here! Bombadil Send a private message to Bombadil Apr 1 2011, 2:18pm
    A very cruel prank Crunchable Birdses Send a private message to Crunchable Birdses Apr 1 2011, 2:34pm
        My understanding is that it was "creative differences." RosieLass Send a private message to RosieLass Apr 1 2011, 3:19pm
            Yeah. I heard that it was kind of that he wasn't in essence a "team player" Patty Send a private message to Patty Apr 1 2011, 5:03pm
    Has anyone noticedt hat they changed everyones titles? glorinfidell Send a private message to glorinfidell Apr 1 2011, 3:00pm
        Well there is a thread on feedback about it Hengist Send a private message to Hengist Apr 1 2011, 3:08pm
            Ok. i guess it was pretty obvious why they changed the titles. glorinfidell Send a private message to glorinfidell Apr 1 2011, 3:28pm
        Yeah... I noticed and commented on it in a different thread... Owain Send a private message to Owain Apr 1 2011, 6:11pm
    I admit duats Send a private message to duats Apr 1 2011, 3:02pm
        Want answers...Now I'm in Gollum's Forbidden Pool? Bombadil Send a private message to Bombadil Apr 1 2011, 3:08pm
            COOL! Pipe Dream Send a private message to Pipe Dream Apr 1 2011, 4:22pm
    Yikes SMB_BOOKS Send a private message to SMB_BOOKS Apr 1 2011, 3:06pm
        It's been 10 years Ainu Laire Send a private message to Ainu Laire Apr 1 2011, 4:07pm
            on the stuart townsend sensetivity... sauget.diblosio Send a private message to sauget.diblosio Apr 1 2011, 4:18pm
                Indeed. It's no worse than the jokes made at his expense by posters here any other day of the year, IMO.// Eowyn of Penns Woods Send a private message to Eowyn of Penns Woods Apr 1 2011, 6:10pm
                    Exactly Oiotri Send a private message to Oiotri Apr 1 2011, 10:00pm
            Tough call SirDennisC Send a private message to SirDennisC Apr 1 2011, 7:05pm
    Yes, I admit, I got pranked for a minute there... Ruijor Send a private message to Ruijor Apr 1 2011, 3:07pm
    Townsend Mithrandr Send a private message to Mithrandr Apr 1 2011, 3:43pm
    That is just evil.... diedye Send a private message to diedye Apr 1 2011, 3:49pm
    I fell for it. Good job! // Tim Send a private message to Tim Apr 1 2011, 4:20pm
    soon it won't be joke Symbelmine Send a private message to Symbelmine Apr 1 2011, 4:33pm
    For those saying it's bad taste... Bound Send a private message to Bound Apr 1 2011, 5:12pm
        I'm not really sure why people are reacting... Owain Send a private message to Owain Apr 1 2011, 6:21pm
            *tuts* Ref Send a private message to Ref Apr 1 2011, 10:42pm
                Well, then why stop with Townsend? RosieLass Send a private message to RosieLass Apr 1 2011, 11:26pm
    This is my favorite part... Arwen's daughter Send a private message to Arwen's daughter Apr 1 2011, 5:20pm
        My only thought is that... Patty Send a private message to Patty Apr 1 2011, 5:24pm
        Love it! :D / Ataahua Send a private message to Ataahua Apr 1 2011, 6:59pm
    M-m-m-m...Wenchy! // Kangi Ska Send a private message to Kangi Ska Apr 1 2011, 5:39pm
    Rats! hamlet Send a private message to hamlet Apr 1 2011, 5:50pm
    I've figured this for an April fool from the start. AinurOlorin Send a private message to AinurOlorin Apr 1 2011, 6:23pm
        Everyone needs to lighten up a little bit... Owain Send a private message to Owain Apr 1 2011, 6:31pm
            Agreed Ruijor Send a private message to Ruijor Apr 1 2011, 7:18pm
    Well played! SirDennisC Send a private message to SirDennisC Apr 1 2011, 7:01pm
    *Giggles* Maiarmike Send a private message to Maiarmike Apr 1 2011, 7:39pm
    I think Stuart Townsend has thicker skin than this, and would probably laugh at it himself, now. Patty Send a private message to Patty Apr 1 2011, 8:05pm
        On a scale of 1 to 10... Eowyn of Penns Woods Send a private message to Eowyn of Penns Woods Apr 1 2011, 8:15pm
            Half a Blue Wizard--LOL Patty Send a private message to Patty Apr 1 2011, 8:39pm
                Did someone mention whips? Ufthak Send a private message to Ufthak Apr 1 2011, 9:16pm
                    Ufthak, you've been studying at the Kyriel School of Art again. Patty Send a private message to Patty Apr 1 2011, 9:23pm
                        What can I say? Ufthak Send a private message to Ufthak Apr 1 2011, 9:32pm
                    You and your whip have been sorely missed, too. // Eowyn of Penns Woods Send a private message to Eowyn of Penns Woods Apr 1 2011, 9:33pm
                        I bet you say that to all the orcs Ufthak Send a private message to Ufthak Apr 1 2011, 9:38pm
                            *snirt* Eowyn of Penns Woods Send a private message to Eowyn of Penns Woods Apr 1 2011, 9:52pm
                                Heh. Ufthak Send a private message to Ufthak Apr 1 2011, 10:08pm
    No doubt Ronan will actually be in the Hobbit LoremIpsum Send a private message to LoremIpsum Apr 1 2011, 8:34pm
        Maybe it's not a joke? SirDennisC Send a private message to SirDennisC Apr 1 2011, 8:52pm
    To clarify... SMB_BOOKS Send a private message to SMB_BOOKS Apr 1 2011, 9:09pm
        For the record... I haven't taken any pot shots... Owain Send a private message to Owain Apr 1 2011, 9:36pm
        I was here at the time Silverlode Send a private message to Silverlode Apr 2 2011, 3:24am
            lots of interesting stuff here Magpie Send a private message to Magpie Apr 2 2011, 3:47am
                Well... Silverlode Send a private message to Silverlode Apr 2 2011, 4:01am
                    gotcha (as in, I understand.. not as in.. I found you out) :-) // Magpie Send a private message to Magpie Apr 2 2011, 4:02am
            I've just been reading Ataahua Send a private message to Ataahua Apr 2 2011, 4:33am
                And that was only Silverlode Send a private message to Silverlode Apr 2 2011, 4:44am
    So, it looks like it's second time lucky for the Irishman... willowing Send a private message to willowing Apr 1 2011, 9:19pm
        Interested in what other sites are reporting this. SirDennisC Send a private message to SirDennisC Apr 1 2011, 10:12pm
            Here are 2 dave_lf Send a private message to dave_lf Apr 1 2011, 10:21pm
                Cool SirDennisC Send a private message to SirDennisC Apr 1 2011, 10:39pm
                movies.ie Steerpike Send a private message to Steerpike Apr 2 2011, 6:45am
            Key the words Movies.ie into your google search engine and click the News tab willowing Send a private message to willowing Apr 2 2011, 6:38am
                And what are we supposed to see?// Owain Send a private message to Owain Apr 2 2011, 7:41am
                    The previous response was to "Sir DennisC" request as to what willowing Send a private message to willowing Apr 2 2011, 9:54am
                        Hmmm.... Typed in your keywords Owain Send a private message to Owain Apr 2 2011, 1:39pm
                            I'm probably not following this sub thread completely Magpie Send a private message to Magpie Apr 2 2011, 4:12pm
                                Aww, that's not fun. Ataahua Send a private message to Ataahua Apr 2 2011, 9:04pm
                            Referring back to the "news" tab on Movies.ie, there is a list at the right side of the page willowing Send a private message to willowing Apr 2 2011, 7:50pm
    Those who didn't think it was a joke rings7 Send a private message to rings7 Apr 1 2011, 10:17pm
        Apart from the vague-ish last line SirDennisC Send a private message to SirDennisC Apr 1 2011, 10:46pm
            Indeed. Maiarmike Send a private message to Maiarmike Apr 1 2011, 10:57pm
            Except for context... Owain Send a private message to Owain Apr 2 2011, 3:12am
    hmm nenyacaster Send a private message to nenyacaster Apr 2 2011, 12:59am
        Nasty? Owain Send a private message to Owain Apr 2 2011, 3:23am
            Completely OT here SirDennisC Send a private message to SirDennisC Apr 2 2011, 3:51am
                Aeon Flux Magpie Send a private message to Magpie Apr 3 2011, 6:34pm
                    Yep, that was Stuart... Patty Send a private message to Patty Apr 3 2011, 10:33pm
                        Checked the db too SirDennisC Send a private message to SirDennisC Apr 3 2011, 11:37pm
    was not fooled one iota hutch Send a private message to hutch Apr 2 2011, 7:41pm
    I'm really glad that this DID turn out to be an April Fool's joke. MissBaggins Apr 3 2011, 6:27pm
        What should have been a tip-off... Otaku-sempai Send a private message to Otaku-sempai Apr 3 2011, 7:49pm
            Well, maybe not... Otaku-sempai Send a private message to Otaku-sempai Apr 3 2011, 8:09pm
                my choice for Bard Eldaria Send a private message to Eldaria Apr 3 2011, 9:23pm
                    I had seen him as one of the dwarves awhile back... Owain Send a private message to Owain Apr 3 2011, 9:25pm
                        Fassbender is perfect for the role.... Eruthurin Send a private message to Eruthurin Apr 4 2011, 2:24pm
    not cool bowencm Send a private message to bowencm Apr 4 2011, 2:45pm
    I think Stuart Townsend should be in The Hobbit Symbelmine Send a private message to Symbelmine Apr 4 2011, 8:00pm
        I am not impressed with Mr. Townsend's acting. Kangi Ska Send a private message to Kangi Ska Apr 4 2011, 8:06pm
        Who would want to work with someone who said this about you? jrpipik Send a private message to jrpipik Apr 4 2011, 8:08pm
            wow Symbelmine Send a private message to Symbelmine Apr 4 2011, 8:15pm
                I know it's reading between the lines... jrpipik Send a private message to jrpipik Apr 4 2011, 9:28pm
                    reading between the lines Magpie Send a private message to Magpie Apr 4 2011, 10:33pm
                        That doesn't surprise me. jrpipik Send a private message to jrpipik Apr 5 2011, 2:06am
                    Yeah, I thought I remembered reading that he was hard to get along with... Patty Send a private message to Patty Apr 5 2011, 2:14am
            Who'd want to work with someone who talks publicly like this about anyone? Gwytha Send a private message to Gwytha Apr 5 2011, 2:16am

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.