Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
TORn Exclusive: Did Master Titi capture Martin Freeman as Bilbo??
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

News from Bree
spymaster@theonering.net

Mar 30 2011, 8:12am

Post #1 of 42 (2792 views)
Shortcut
TORn Exclusive: Did Master Titi capture Martin Freeman as Bilbo?? Can't Post

Master Titi, the spy that send the set pics exclusive to TheOneRing.net yesterday, has sent in a new batch of images today. In this latest set, we get to see some actors in costume, and in one particular image, it sure looks like he might have captured the first pic of Martin Freeman as Bilbo Baggins! Click on the images below for a larger version and let the conversations begin!  (Don't forget, to click the 'discuss' link on this story to share your thoughts with over 6000 Tolkien fans, or find us on Facebook to interact with 20,000+!)

Pipe Dream
Gondor

Mar 30 2011, 1:45pm

Post #2 of 42 (1038 views)
Shortcut
It doesn't look like Freeman to me... [In reply to] Can't Post

...but hey, what do I know?, I just post here. Tongue Maybe they are trying to narrow down where the spy is by showing strategic peeks to triangulate his or her position.

Photobucket
<<<<There is a long road yet>>>>

DamienEngland
Rivendell

Mar 30 2011, 2:19pm

Post #3 of 42 (996 views)
Shortcut
Few things really .... [In reply to] Can't Post

1) The second photo (of a hobbit's back) is clearly the same guy and wearing exactly the same outfit, so if pic 1 is Freeman ....

2) The production team will NOT be happy with this dude scooping what Bilbo looks like and will likely want those taken down.

3) Only 2 replies in just under an hour to (potentially) the biggest Hobbit movie scoop so far? Has to be the slowest forum response I've ever witnessed and I find that kinda comical in its own way. Tongue

(This post was edited by DamienEngland on Mar 30 2011, 2:26pm)

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Mar 30 2011, 2:24pm

Post #4 of 42 (944 views)
Shortcut
Exactly the same outfit? [In reply to] Can't Post

Waistcoats don't count, eh? Cool

My LiveJournal
My Costuming Site
TORn's Costume Discussions Archive

Garfeimao
Rohan

Mar 30 2011, 2:25pm

Post #5 of 42 (932 views)
Shortcut
is security zeroing in on the TORn spy? [In reply to] Can't Post

Pic 4 certainly looks like someone has noticed the spy.

Personally, these spy pics are fun, but I'd much rather be surprised by the completed film, or at least the officially release images myself, so no guessing of whom is whom from me.

Peace, Love and Rock & Roll,

Garfeimao
The orange stripey One

Cruise to Middle-earth

DamienEngland
Rivendell

Mar 30 2011, 2:37pm

Post #6 of 42 (898 views)
Shortcut
Well, imho ... [In reply to] Can't Post

It's clearly the same guy, AD - same trousers, same shirt, the waistcoat would be concealed by that blue robe. Tongue

Personally, I'm just gobsmacked, if it IS Freeman, that whoever is taking these appears to be getting away with it and the images are remaining on TORN without some kind of legal hoo-ha regarding their removal.

I kinda like the fun of all the espionage, but whoever The Scarlet Pimpernel is, he's gonna mess things up for PJ is he scoops a better shot of Bilbo before an official photo is released.

It's why I said the only way to go was with an official shot of the cast in costume to coincide with the start of filiming. Every time big movies delay it and every time this happens.

(This post was edited by DamienEngland on Mar 30 2011, 2:40pm)

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Mar 30 2011, 2:50pm

Post #7 of 42 (832 views)
Shortcut
And imho we can't be sure [In reply to] Can't Post

One guy in brown trousers and a linen shirt looks a lot like a second guy in a similar outfit, and all hobbits wear similar outfits. The pants look a different tone to me, which could just be a trick of the light but if so why didn't the shirt change in the same way (it's clearly changed with the lighting but not in the same manner has the pants have). Is that a belt in the first picture and where did it go in the second picture? And what is that waistcoat made of if a bathrobe is enough to pull it off his abdomen? Maybe he's just taken it off, but my point is we can't be sure.

I'm not saying they're definitely different people; I'm just saying I'm not convinced the outfits are "exactly" the same.

My LiveJournal
My Costuming Site

thehobbitftw
Rivendell

Mar 30 2011, 2:53pm

Post #8 of 42 (846 views)
Shortcut
Way to spoil my first look at Bilbo Titi [In reply to] Can't Post

Mad

(This post was edited by thehobbitftw on Mar 30 2011, 2:56pm)

DamienEngland
Rivendell

Mar 30 2011, 2:57pm

Post #9 of 42 (794 views)
Shortcut
Hmph! [In reply to] Can't Post

Now see, AD, you've spoiled all my fun! Tongue

Besides which, Bilbo prefers a red waistcoat does he not .....?

Nah, you're right of course - I can't be certain ....

..... IT'S CLEARLY HIM!!!! Laugh

(This post was edited by DamienEngland on Mar 30 2011, 3:02pm)

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 30 2011, 3:02pm

Post #10 of 42 (784 views)
Shortcut
This is too awesome for words! [In reply to] Can't Post

Picture 3 definitely shows a dwarf with prosthetic forehead and ears. Woohoo! I am *so* excited just to have a look-see and imagine what must be going on down there Sly

Carne
Tol Eressea

Mar 30 2011, 3:05pm

Post #11 of 42 (783 views)
Shortcut
Bilbo? [In reply to] Can't Post

Doesn't really look like Marting Freemans's left jaw/mouth area to me Tongue

The guy in the third pic does seem to have some dwarf ear prosthetics, probably taking a break or going off to get the rest applied.

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Mar 30 2011, 3:22pm

Post #12 of 42 (779 views)
Shortcut
It's a yellow waistcoat, if I recall correctly [In reply to] Can't Post

At least, yellow when he meets Gandalf in chapter one. I don't remember if it's described after that other than having lots of brass buttons. The second pic looks like a green and yellow waistcoat to me. I could be old Bilbo!

My LiveJournal
My Costuming Site

(This post was edited by Arwen's daughter on Mar 30 2011, 3:22pm)

Pipe Dream
Gondor

Mar 30 2011, 3:39pm

Post #13 of 42 (774 views)
Shortcut
Probably. [In reply to] Can't Post

Is security zeroing in on the TORn spy?

I would imagine they will put up tarps, or enforce the robe policy. It's been in the 62-66 deg. F. range so the robes shouldn't be too hot right now. As for legality of pics taken, as long as it's not on their property, I'd guess they can't do a thing about it, other then ask to have them taken down. I don't think they can force someone to take them down. If it were me, I'd work a deal to take down images only if I could get exclusive content in the future. Wink These images aren't that revealing anyway.

Photobucket
<<<<There is a long road yet>>>>

(This post was edited by Pipe Dream on Mar 30 2011, 3:41pm)

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Mar 30 2011, 4:38pm

Post #14 of 42 (781 views)
Shortcut
Our correspondent caught up with Rob Kazinsky [In reply to] Can't Post

doubling as a set dresser between takes. We asked him: "How much does a bale of dwarf beards weigh?"

"Not that much," says Rob, "the bulk makes it awkward is all."

He continued, "it'd be easier if you could just move junk around using your camera phone...course you'd have no idea where it'd end up. I guess that's a pretty dumb idea."

(This post was edited by SirDennisC on Mar 30 2011, 4:39pm)

rings7
Rohan

Mar 30 2011, 4:42pm

Post #15 of 42 (712 views)
Shortcut
Allright this is getting too stalkerish now lol [In reply to] Can't Post

and that's either Freeman or his double. The other big-eared one looks like James Nesbit.

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Mar 30 2011, 4:47pm

Post #16 of 42 (661 views)
Shortcut
Actually [In reply to] Can't Post

The robe and face put me in mind of the robed cell phone user from the last set. Especially because of the face, which we see more of today, I would say they are both of Ryan Gage/Drogo (with thanks to duats for pointing him out yesterday).

The second image could be Bilbo, in partial dress, from behind (obviously). The hair colour seems about right.

DamienEngland
Rivendell

Mar 30 2011, 4:47pm

Post #17 of 42 (673 views)
Shortcut
Yep, yep [In reply to] Can't Post

It was yellow, AD, you're right. I'm thinking red because of Ian Holm predominantly wears it in FOTR.

Oh and I may have been wrong about that second pic being Freeman, but I'd bet my life savings that dwarf is NOT William Kircher.

It's James Nesbitt.

The complexion & lower jaw visible beneath the prosthetics are unmistakenably his. Plus, he's wearing the same black robe he is pictured wearing on a cell phone in the first set of pics. So I'm like, um .... 51% certain this time, innit?

Who's with me? Tongue

Anybody? Crazy

============

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Mar 30 2011, 4:51pm

Post #18 of 42 (658 views)
Shortcut
Ah, his double... an intriguing idea. [In reply to] Can't Post

though the jaw and nose do bear a marked similarity to Ryan Gage:

Carne
Tol Eressea

Mar 30 2011, 4:53pm

Post #19 of 42 (641 views)
Shortcut
Ryan Gage [In reply to] Can't Post

You know what, it does look like Mr.Gage. Based on the little we can see of his face, if you compare it to other photos of the actor it seems to match.

Garfeimao
Rohan

Mar 30 2011, 5:06pm

Post #20 of 42 (645 views)
Shortcut
Can't be a Hobbit double [In reply to] Can't Post

Cause all the doubles are scale doubles, hence they are little people, and none of these look to be in the 4 foot range of height.

Peace, Love and Rock & Roll,

Garfeimao
The orange stripey One

Cruise to Middle-earth

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Mar 30 2011, 5:11pm

Post #21 of 42 (621 views)
Shortcut
Scale vs. Stunt doubles? [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't remember for LOTR, but it's possible for TH they'll need 'regular' sized doubles for some of the stunts? It would depend on how the sets are constructed and who else is in the scene, I suppose.

My LiveJournal
My Costuming Site

duats
Grey Havens

Mar 30 2011, 5:12pm

Post #22 of 42 (662 views)
Shortcut
Couple of thoughts [In reply to] Can't Post

While I'm pretty sure that is not Bilbo, and I positively certain that is NOT William Kircher.

The guy looks alot like James Nesbitt.

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Mar 30 2011, 5:17pm

Post #23 of 42 (606 views)
Shortcut
Those are some big ears i have to say... // [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
The guy in the third pic does seem to have some dwarf ear prosthetics, probably taking a break or going off to get the rest applied.

Magpie
Immortal

Mar 30 2011, 5:36pm

Post #24 of 42 (600 views)
Shortcut
but couldn't it be a stand in... or even stunt double [In reply to] Can't Post

(although I wonder that they would use stunt doubles so quickly)

sorry, reading in flat mode for once so I didn't catch A.d.'s reply.

LOTR soundtrack website
magpie avatar gallery ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

(This post was edited by Magpie on Mar 30 2011, 5:37pm)

dormouse
Half-elven

Mar 30 2011, 6:21pm

Post #25 of 42 (543 views)
Shortcut
I'm coming into this rather late in the day.... [In reply to] Can't Post

...but it seems to me that hobbit (presumably hobbit) covered by the blue robe isn't wearing a waistcoat at all... The way I read the photo (probably quite wrongly, but that's life!) whoever he is he's wearing brown trousers with braces over a lighter coloured shirt. The one in the other photo has trousers of a different colour, shirt and waistcoat...

Can't say whether it's the same person or not but I agree that the clothes look different.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.