Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
TORn Exclusive: First Pics from The Hobbit Set
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

News from Bree
spymaster@theonering.net

Mar 29 2011, 7:59am

Post #1 of 40 (2835 views)
Shortcut
TORn Exclusive: First Pics from The Hobbit Set Can't Post

Nothing too groundbreaking here folks, but we do have some of the first pics from the set of The Hobbit! Just like during the production of The Lord of the Rings, folks are out there trying to capture any tidbit of information related to the The Hobbit and enthusiastic to share it with the world! The images in this article come to use from Master Titi who captured a few actors and crew as they prepped for their roles in the film. Among the imagery you will see Andy Serkis in his motion capture suit for Gollum, Adam Brown (Ori) coming out of his trailer, James Nesbitt (Bofur) on a cell phone and some other cast/crew hanging out. So if you didn't believe production had begun, now we at least have proof that something is happening! Also, if you think you can identify the other crew/actors in these pics, please leave a comment or share your thoughts in our forum!

Junesong
Rivendell

Mar 29 2011, 1:30pm

Post #2 of 40 (1031 views)
Shortcut
Actor # 3 [In reply to] Can't Post

The unknown actor in the blue robe and hood talking on the phone might be Martin Freeman - I was looking pretty close and it's possible that if he was all done up as Bilbo they would be careful to keep him covered when going from A to B out side.

Great to see Andy back in a lycra suit! Can't wait for this movie!

"Tim... Canterbury... Canterbury Tales... Chaucer... Shakespeare."

Magpie
Immortal

Mar 29 2011, 1:41pm

Post #3 of 40 (927 views)
Shortcut
cool :-) // [In reply to] Can't Post

LOTR soundtrack website
magpie avatar gallery ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Pipe Dream
Gondor

Mar 29 2011, 1:42pm

Post #4 of 40 (962 views)
Shortcut
Hummm... [In reply to] Can't Post

If Andy is there, then that means they are filming...er, capturing x 2 (mocap and digitally recording) Gollum stuff, or at the very least he's possibly performing another CG character, say the trolls or something? Perhaps the hood is to hide ears? It could also just be a crew member.

Photobucket
<<<<There is a long road yet>>>>

(This post was edited by Pipe Dream on Mar 29 2011, 1:47pm)

Legalize_Athelas
Lorien

Mar 29 2011, 2:02pm

Post #5 of 40 (929 views)
Shortcut
Justin Timberlake?? // [In reply to] Can't Post

Got Necroquestions? I'll give you Necromanswers.

Play LOTRO with us!

DamienEngland
Rivendell

Mar 29 2011, 2:09pm

Post #6 of 40 (940 views)
Shortcut
Interesting ..... [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm about 51% sure the guy in the green hood is Ryan Gage in costume as Drogo Baggins, complete with blondish/tawny wig. That sure ain't Freeman's nose, and he wouldn't be wearing a prosthetic when his hooter is by far the most hobbity thing about him.Cool

Oversized picture removed. Feel free to re-post a smaller picture. Thanks! -- Altaira

2.20 How do I add a picture to a post? There are several ways to add a picture to your post. You may upload a picture stored on your PC as an attachment (See 2.21 below) or you may link to an image on your own website if you have one, or to a free image hosting service such as http://photobucket.com/ or http://villagephotos.com. To link to a picture on your own website or to a free hosting service, Insert the image URL by cutting and pasting the URL your hosting site provides for you into your post, clicking on the picture icon on the Advanced Editor toolbar and pasting the URL into the box provided, or using image tags using the Basic Editor (See [Get Markup Help]). Please do not hot-link directly to a picture on another internet site. See the Terms of Service rules for netiquette for more information on hot-linking. If you absolutely *must* direct people to a picture on another site, please do it by inserting a link that will take people to the picture on the site. That way the site owner gets hits for their site.

The specific guidelines for posting pictures within the message body of your post are as follows: the maximum size of any picture posted should be 525 wide x 400 pixels high (or a better measure is: 210,000 pixels squared - width x height), but no wider than 670 pixels. The maximum file size per picture should be 45k. The cumulative file size of all pictures in one post should not exceed 225k (5 pictures of the maximum filesize of 45k, 10 pictures of a filesize of 22.5k, etc.). These guidelnes apply to pictures hosted on other sites as well as to pictures posted as attachments to your post. For more detailed help on posting within a message body, check out Magpie's step-by-step TORn Image Posting Guide.

(This post was edited by Altaira on Mar 29 2011, 3:32pm)

The White Lady

Mar 29 2011, 2:21pm

Post #7 of 40 (918 views)
Shortcut
Bofur or Fili? [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm not so sure that's James Nesbitt - it looks a lot more like Rob Kazinsky to me (though at that resolution it is difficult to tell). But still - woo hoo, production is in full swing!

Eruonen
Tol Eressea

Mar 29 2011, 2:46pm

Post #8 of 40 (929 views)
Shortcut
In regard to the motion capture suit....hasn't technology [In reply to] Can't Post

improved quite a bit in 11-12 years? The suit seems to only have a few key tracking points. I would have expected a much more complex suit with data points all over it, but then, I don't know the technology.
The suit looks identical to what he wore in 1999-2000.

Pipe Dream
Gondor

Mar 29 2011, 3:37pm

Post #9 of 40 (840 views)
Shortcut
It has, but the human body hasn't changed. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
In regard to the motion capture suit....hasn't technology improved quite a bit in 11-12 years? The suit seems to only have a few key tracking points. I would have expected a much more complex suit with data points all over it, but then, I don't know the technology.
The suit looks identical to what he wore in 1999-2000.

So, the suit should be the same. The thing that has improved is the ability to capture facial animation. This would have to be applied by someone other the Andy just like make-up. Here is an Empire story with a picture of Andy in the facial capture set-up with PJ and Spielberg: http://www.empireonline.com/.../story.asp?NID=24608

Photobucket
<<<<There is a long road yet>>>>

(This post was edited by Pipe Dream on Mar 29 2011, 3:45pm)

renzn
Bree

Mar 29 2011, 4:16pm

Post #10 of 40 (793 views)
Shortcut
Motion Capture body suit [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't have the time to search for pictures of Andy with the motion capture suit he wore during the filming of the LOTR movies; however, I wondered if the LOTR suit and the new Hobbit suit are either basically the same suit type, or are they different because of newer technology or the filming in 3-D?

Welsh hero
Gondor

Mar 29 2011, 4:33pm

Post #11 of 40 (772 views)
Shortcut
omg omg omg [In reply to] Can't Post

SmileSmileSmileSmile

I want more, more more (goes mad)

Twitter: @IrfonPennant

rings7
Rohan

Mar 29 2011, 4:41pm

Post #12 of 40 (742 views)
Shortcut
Squeeeee! [In reply to] Can't Post

Love the candids! And i see they're already filming Gollum?

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Mar 29 2011, 5:12pm

Post #13 of 40 (749 views)
Shortcut
Recreating Gollum will be a long process. [In reply to] Can't Post

There is a lot of computer work involved.

Kangi Ska Resident Trickster & Wicked White Crebain
Life is an adventure, not a contest.

At night you can not tell if crows are black or white.
Photobucket

Photobucket

Carne
Tol Eressea

Mar 29 2011, 5:24pm

Post #14 of 40 (682 views)
Shortcut
Well [In reply to] Can't Post

The design of Gollum was probably finished months ago, but if you're talking about mo-cap, then yes.

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Mar 29 2011, 5:35pm

Post #15 of 40 (750 views)
Shortcut
First image of one of the 13 cloaks? [In reply to] Can't Post

Either that is the worst fitting robe in history or the subject is wearing something bulkier than regular clothes under it. Is that a spaulder from light elven armour changing the line of the left sleeve? Have no idea who it could be. Hayden Christensen knew how to wear a robe.

The last picture: Robert Pattinson or some guy telling the gaffers to get back to work. On second thought the chin makes me think it's Adam Brown just back from a make over.

Thanks for the pics.Smile

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Mar 29 2011, 5:41pm

Post #16 of 40 (708 views)
Shortcut
TiTi has a big lense and a high vantage point. [In reply to] Can't Post

I have a good guess where he/she was shooting from but I ain't talkin' as I want more snaps.

Kangi Ska Resident Trickster & Wicked White Crebain
Life is an adventure, not a contest.

At night you can not tell if crows are black or white.
Photobucket

Photobucket

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Mar 29 2011, 5:45pm

Post #17 of 40 (698 views)
Shortcut
Well there's no grassy knolls around there [In reply to] Can't Post

must be on a roof top, a high ridge near the studio lot, or using a kite camera.

duats
Grey Havens

Mar 29 2011, 5:50pm

Post #18 of 40 (688 views)
Shortcut
Whoever he is [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm guessing he's wearing a costume underneath. Hence the robe.

If I were to venture a guess, I'd say that that is Ryan Gage. But I've never seen him from a side profile, so I can't be sure.

The other guy looks just like Justin Timberlake.

dormouse
Half-elven

Mar 29 2011, 5:52pm

Post #19 of 40 (700 views)
Shortcut
It's really interesting to see Andy Serkis.... [In reply to] Can't Post

.. because as far as I remember, his casting has still to be officially confirmed. I've just checked on the cast page and he is still 'rumoured'.

No surprise, obviously, but it does confirm my feelings that others - including Elrond, maybe? could have been cast but just not announced.

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Mar 29 2011, 5:58pm

Post #20 of 40 (659 views)
Shortcut
Danged edit window! [In reply to] Can't Post

Wherever it is the photog has a line on a makeup trailer. Lots of actor traffic, lots of photo ops.

duats
Grey Havens

Mar 29 2011, 5:58pm

Post #21 of 40 (690 views)
Shortcut
He was confirmed in the recent press release [In reply to] Can't Post

http://www.facebook.com/...it/10150168211921558

Martin Freeman takes the title role as Bilbo Baggins and Ian McKellen returns in the role of Gandalf the Grey. The Dwarves are played by Richard Armitage (Thorin Oakenshield), Ken Stott (Balin), Graham McTavish (Dwalin), William Kircher (Bifur) James Nesbitt (Bofur), Stephen Hunter (Bombur), Rob Kazinsky (Fili), Aidan Turner (Kili), Peter Hambleton (Gloin), John Callen (Oin), Jed Brophy (Nori), Mark Hadlow (Dori) and Adam Brown (Ori). Reprising their roles from The Lord of the Rings trilogy are Cate Blanchett as Galadriel, Andy Serkis as Gollum and Elijah Wood as Frodo. Jeffrey Thomas and Mike Mizrahi also join the cast as Dwarf Kings Thror and Thrain, respectively. Further casting announcements are expected.

dormouse
Half-elven

Mar 29 2011, 5:59pm

Post #22 of 40 (639 views)
Shortcut
Oh, sorry - didn't spot that. // [In reply to] Can't Post

duats
Grey Havens

Mar 29 2011, 6:02pm

Post #23 of 40 (662 views)
Shortcut
I also wonder [In reply to] Can't Post

It's safer to assume that he is getting ready to shoot for Gollum in that photo, but I wonder if he's actually getting ready to provide the mo-cap for the three trolls.

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Mar 29 2011, 6:05pm

Post #24 of 40 (660 views)
Shortcut
That's two votes for [In reply to] Can't Post

both those names already (though I know the JT vote is a joke). You are right about Actor03 looking like Gage -- the tilt of the head, the protruding lips, the shape of the nose. The blond hair says SR but I'd be willing to bet there's a man under that robe.

painjoiker
Grey Havens

Mar 29 2011, 6:13pm

Post #25 of 40 (628 views)
Shortcut
Andy was confirmed at the same time as Gandalf ;) [In reply to] Can't Post

the ONLY actor from LotR that still need confirmation is Elrond :)

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.