Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Peter Jackson Then and Now
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

News from Bree
spymaster@theonering.net

Mar 21 2011, 8:18am

Post #1 of 48 (3458 views)
Shortcut
Peter Jackson Then and Now Can't Post

How cool is this pic!? On the left is Peter Jackson from 'Women's Day' magazine June 14th 2001 sitting in Bag End. Now, nearly 10 years later, on the right, Peter Jackson at the start of filming for The Hobbit films. Again sitting in a revitalized and appropriately different Bag End. As you can tell, a few things have changed on the physical set, but that is to be expected since we are looking at Bag End 60 years earlier on the right. We'd like to thank our facebook buddy  David V. for posting a version of this pic on our wall and inspiring the large version above. [Download Large Version]

chrismortega
Bree

Mar 21 2011, 2:17pm

Post #2 of 48 (1864 views)
Shortcut
PJ - same as always [In reply to] Can't Post

Obviously fame and fortune have not changed his watch preferences!

"NEVER TRUST AN ELF!"

pandoraziki
Rivendell

Mar 21 2011, 2:53pm

Post #3 of 48 (1776 views)
Shortcut
or his footwear preferences// [In reply to] Can't Post

Darkstone
Immortal

Mar 21 2011, 2:58pm

Post #4 of 48 (1780 views)
Shortcut
Wastin' Away in JRR Tolkienville [In reply to] Can't Post

Think how much more thin he's going to be after he finishes The Hobbit! Will there be any Jackson left?

From IMDB trivia:

"A scene was cut from the finished film that showed Eowyn (Miranda Otto) stripping away her regular clothes and then dressing herself in the armor of a Rohan warrior."

*Darkstone bangs head against wall*

Labrynian Rebel
The Shire

Mar 21 2011, 3:07pm

Post #5 of 48 (1759 views)
Shortcut
Jackson is probably [In reply to] Can't Post

starting to feel thin, like butter scraped over too much bread.

Darkstone
Immortal

Mar 21 2011, 3:17pm

Post #6 of 48 (1751 views)
Shortcut
With his success.... [In reply to] Can't Post

...probably more like caviar over too much Melba toast.
Wink

From IMDB trivia:

"A scene was cut from the finished film that showed Eowyn (Miranda Otto) stripping away her regular clothes and then dressing herself in the armor of a Rohan warrior."

*Darkstone bangs head against wall*

nobofthepony
Lorien

Mar 21 2011, 3:27pm

Post #7 of 48 (1724 views)
Shortcut
He not only lost weight...he SHRANK :-0 // [In reply to] Can't Post

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Mar 21 2011, 3:31pm

Post #8 of 48 (1688 views)
Shortcut
I think PJ looks great! // [In reply to] Can't Post

My LiveJournal
My Costuming Site
TORn's Costume Discussions Archive

Boromirlives
The Shire

Mar 21 2011, 3:38pm

Post #9 of 48 (1710 views)
Shortcut
Eat a sandwich PJ!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

He looks like a totally different person.

I want the pudgy PJ version back. The old version of PJ, you could picture at any sci-fi convention. The new PJ has gone Hollywood. It was one of the reasons I was happy GDT was originally directing, he fit into the genre of what a sci-fi geek wants as director.

Based on what I have seen to date on this production, the ol' PJ is back. I just dont want to see Hobbits eating wheat germ and energy bars. No, they need to stick with the program. Lots of Po-Ta-Toes!!!! :)

(This post was edited by Boromirlives on Mar 21 2011, 3:40pm)

chrism628
Bree

Mar 21 2011, 3:39pm

Post #10 of 48 (1697 views)
Shortcut
No kidding! [In reply to] Can't Post

Looks to me like the same shoes. Could they be the very same pair since 2001? hah

Pipe Dream
Gondor

Mar 21 2011, 3:56pm

Post #11 of 48 (1688 views)
Shortcut
Funny! [In reply to] Can't Post

This is what I came to realize when I lost 40 lbs. People say your fat and need to lose weight when your fat, and when you lose all that weight and finally feel good about yourself the way you are, thin and skinny, people begin to say your too skinny and need to put on weight. Where is the happy median? It doesn't exist. People just want to have something to gripe about. The man is where he needs to be. Morbidly obese is never the answer.

Photobucket
<<<<There is a long road yet>>>>

Patty
Immortal

Mar 21 2011, 3:59pm

Post #12 of 48 (1725 views)
Shortcut
I feel so dumb asking this, but... [In reply to] Can't Post

is the set on the left the man-size version from LotR and the one on the left the hobbit-size version (from The Hobbit)?

Permanent address: Into the West

Must. Have. The Precious! Give us the LotR EE Blu-ray Ultimate Box Set!

Boromirlives
The Shire

Mar 21 2011, 4:02pm

Post #13 of 48 (1669 views)
Shortcut
Nice crispy bacon... [In reply to] Can't Post

Haha!!! It is true... I'm just concerned that PJ went Hollywood. I've seen many people lose weight and physically, he looks good, but does he think like a Hobbit anymore? When he was on the set for LOTR, he was eating like a Hobbit. I want him to keep thinking like a Hobbit, thats all. Smile

Its all just a bit of fun... Wink But you're right.... Its in an envelope on the mantle.... Sly

To me, nothing beats the Shire in beginning of Fellowship.

Pipe Dream
Gondor

Mar 21 2011, 4:02pm

Post #14 of 48 (1678 views)
Shortcut
Good point. [In reply to] Can't Post

I think the left is man-sized scale (smaller) and the right is the larger hobbit-sized scale. I'd guess it's probably PJ's Bag End on the right, at his home.

Photobucket
<<<<There is a long road yet>>>>

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Mar 21 2011, 4:07pm

Post #15 of 48 (1695 views)
Shortcut
His body, his choices [In reply to] Can't Post

PJ literally worked his butt off to get down to the size he has for his own personal reasons. If he feels better at this size, has more energy, more confidence, or just wants to fit in with Hollywood, then good for him!

Personally, I don't find body policing to ever be "just a bit of fun." So many different emotions and compulsions are tied up with why we eat or don't eat or what we eat that sometimes all it takes is a comment or a misplaced Snickers bar in our diet to throw everything out of whack.

My LiveJournal
My Costuming Site

WilliamJESnider
Bree

Mar 21 2011, 4:17pm

Post #16 of 48 (1643 views)
Shortcut
Best day I've had in a long time thanks to this [In reply to] Can't Post

I do believe that The Hobbit commencing filming today is a gift from God to me, its been a rough year, and this really cheers me up!

admin of http://www.facebook.com/pages/Martin-Freeman-should-portray-Bilbo-Baggins/101180775324

WilliamJESnider
Bree

Mar 21 2011, 4:17pm

Post #17 of 48 (1636 views)
Shortcut
I love that he's actually smoking the pipe this time. [In reply to] Can't Post

I love that he's actually smoking the pipe this time. He is a hobbit incarnate.

admin of http://www.facebook.com/pages/Martin-Freeman-should-portray-Bilbo-Baggins/101180775324

Boromirlives
The Shire

Mar 21 2011, 4:29pm

Post #18 of 48 (1660 views)
Shortcut
Fit in with Hollywood??? [In reply to] Can't Post

No one, under any circumstance, should, or in a right state of mind, would want to fit into what Hollywood is. Part of PJ's success is that he was so far removed and dissociative of the typical Hollywood mindset.

It's great he lost the weight. Good for him. You missed the point I was making, which was I hope he keeps the mindset that Hobbits enjoy food, pipe weed, peace, quiet, and good tilled earth, and love all things that grow...

(This post was edited by Boromirlives on Mar 21 2011, 4:31pm)

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Mar 21 2011, 4:34pm

Post #19 of 48 (1621 views)
Shortcut
I got the point you were making [In reply to] Can't Post

I simply disliked the way you were making it.

My LiveJournal
My Costuming Site

mendil
Rivendell

Mar 21 2011, 4:42pm

Post #20 of 48 (1677 views)
Shortcut
I miss the old PJ ... and, no, it's not because I'm critical his lifestyle! [In reply to] Can't Post

PJ can live however he wants to, and I would never say otherwise.

And when I say that I miss old, hobbity PJ, I am still abiding by that. Several people have posted that having a preference for the way PJ used to be is tantamount to being critical of his lifestyle, and I think it's worth a word or two to explain why that is an unwarranted opinion of that sentiment.

Simply put ... I've grown fond of him as I have known him in the past. Fond as a fan, not as a personal acquintance, of course. He's become an iconic figure among my love of Tolkien. So in once sense, seeing him changed is like seeing a blonde Clark Kent, like having Indiana Jones switching to a baseball cap.

I just miss the way he was. I am not saying he should not have changed. I am just saying I've grown attached to how he appeared before.

And part of that attachment has grown out of watching how the LOTR movies got made, both before and after. Which is as important for me as the movies themselves. How Jackson was the center of it all. And certainly his appearance was a matter of note. The fact that he was unpreposessing. That he didn't wear shoes. That he wasn't professionally styled for Hollywood appearances. He was good at his game without playing "the" game. His image included his lack of concern for image.

And it didn't stop there. This image was in turn tied to his approach to making LOTR. He was a nerd making films for nerds. He was a hobbit making films about hobbits. etc. At that time], there was no end to people making the connection between his appearance and his approach to LOTR - not a logical connection, but a poetic one. A karmic one, if you will.

Under the circumstances, I think it's actually IMPOSSIBLE to have PJ change his appearance and not expect some kind of reaction from fans of LOTR.

Furthermore, the more one has sold oneself on the idea that PJ's image was attached, by some mystical means, to how he makes movies, then it's only common sense that when he changes his image one wonders if he's meddling with a successful formula.

I miss the old PJ's looks. Because for me they are tied to the whole movie experience. I would never try to say that the man should not have lost weight or got contacts or straightened his hair or changed his wardrobe - who am I to judge what he does? But that doesn't mean I can't be affected by it nonetheless. I'm a fan. My sentiments aren't based on what his rights may be. They're based on what I have become attached to.

"... But of bliss and glad life there is little to be said, before it ends; as works fair and wonderful, while still they endure for eyes to see, are their own record, and only when they are in peril or broken for ever do they pass into song."

(This post was edited by mendil on Mar 21 2011, 4:43pm)

smokerings
Rivendell

Mar 21 2011, 4:53pm

Post #21 of 48 (1603 views)
Shortcut
LOve what I am seeing [In reply to] Can't Post

Something many of us are totally missing in these pics - which is a huge indicator on PJ's understanding of The Hobbit and the differences between the LoTR and TH and the way he will develop Bilbo.....In the LoTR pic you can see how Bilbo and Frodo lived - everything was a mess and lots of artifacts from his adventures, books stacked up everywhere......Now look at this weekends pic (sans a newer PJ) and you will see how clean, proper, and even OCD-like everything is in Bilbo's home. It is just amazing that we are going to see Bilbo transform into a true hero - a Hobbit that stayed away from all adventures and mostly attended to afternoon tea and a wee bit of the Old Toby for a smoke before he tended to his flowers.

I can imagine in the 2nd movie, Bilbo coming home (or the scene where he comes home at the end) is going to be quite magical and emotional - almost like he comes home to a different person staring at him from the shadows of his home. He may feel that he lost a bit of innocence and may actually now be a little uncomfortable in the way he left Bag End.

Eruonen
Valinor

Mar 21 2011, 5:12pm

Post #22 of 48 (1599 views)
Shortcut
He looks great and hopefully his health is on the upswing... [In reply to] Can't Post

I love the design of Bag End and would love to live in such a place....the "new" old Bag End actually looks richer in coloration with the deep green/black shadowing and floor. A warm honey / amber tone that is very inviting.

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Mar 21 2011, 5:52pm

Post #23 of 48 (1548 views)
Shortcut
Sub-thread removed - please keep the discussion friendly and avoid getting personal. Thanks // [In reply to] Can't Post

Smile

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

TORn Calendar

Patty
Immortal

Mar 21 2011, 5:56pm

Post #24 of 48 (1549 views)
Shortcut
Ah, thanks, pipedream... [In reply to] Can't Post

if that's the case, then other than the rugs, they look pretty similar.

Permanent address: Into the West

Must. Have. The Precious! Give us the LotR EE Blu-ray Ultimate Box Set!

Oden
Rivendell

Mar 21 2011, 6:04pm

Post #25 of 48 (1550 views)
Shortcut
Thought the same thing when I first saw them side by side. [In reply to] Can't Post

The left photo being "wizard" scale and the right being "hobbit" scale.

The height of the mantel above the fireplace in the background, they size of the table and bench as well as even the size of the ceiling tiles/bricks compared to Peter's head all show the difference between the two scales that were built.

I wonder if there will need to be a third scale built - "dwarf" scale?

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.