Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Hobbit in 5 - Weta Auctions for NZ, Spy Shots, Dori, and More!
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

News from Bree
spymaster@theonering.net

Mar 4 2011, 12:16pm

Post #1 of 31 (2256 views)
Shortcut
Hobbit in 5 - Weta Auctions for NZ, Spy Shots, Dori, and More! Can't Post

On this week's episode of Hobbit in 5 we look at more ways to help New Zealand earthquake victims, Mikael Persbrandt wins and Oscar, more character studies, and Ringer Spy HobbitWatch gives us a glimpse of a very special Hobbit action sequence with Bilbo and the Dwarves. Hobbit in 5

SteveDJ
Rivendell

Mar 5 2011, 1:56am

Post #2 of 31 (761 views)
Shortcut
Riding barrels to get away from... what? [In reply to] Can't Post

Ok, has it been that long since I've read the books, that I'm forgetting this... or did the recent "Hobbit in 5" episode (#7) really have such a glaring mistake?!?

I could've sworn that they rode the barrels to get away from... Elves! (not Orcs). Check the video as it approaches the 3:00 mark...

...and if I'm wrong - I'll go read the book again! Wink

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Mar 5 2011, 3:17am

Post #3 of 31 (739 views)
Shortcut
Surprised by the news of an Oscar for MP. [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm sure I've seen him somewhere before but I had no idea Hollywood was paying such close attention. Or was this a gift to WB for their upcoming venture? (Still cynical since Viggo's Eastern Promises upset.)

Just a technical note: pacing, image framing, and the host's delivery are approaching top rate. Well done guys!

(This post was edited by SirDennisC on Mar 5 2011, 3:19am)

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Mar 5 2011, 4:00am

Post #4 of 31 (722 views)
Shortcut
Reporting media errors as if true [In reply to] Can't Post

There are two of them in this report. The escaping from the Orcs issue that you mention. And the mixing up of the Lonely Mountain with Mt. Doom, which we discussed in another thread. I'm disappointed to see these things reported as fact in the TORN-produced production, when they are certainly errors by the media. TORN should know better than that.

'But very bright were the stars upon the margin of the world, when at times the clouds about the West were drawn aside.'

www.arda-reconstructed.com

Kathy813

Mar 5 2011, 6:32am

Post #5 of 31 (685 views)
Shortcut
You're Right! [In reply to] Can't Post

You're right! The dwarves get in the barrels to escape from the dungeon in the castle of the woodland Elf-King Thranduil. The idea is to get to the town of the lake men.Wink

Kathy Blush

BlackCountry
Rivendell

Mar 5 2011, 8:58am

Post #6 of 31 (615 views)
Shortcut
Yes... [In reply to] Can't Post

a narrow mistake on her part unless she didn't want to say Elves for those that have never read The Hobbit.

And yes Mark Hadlow is a talented actor and for him to step into the shoes of Dori shows that he'll have quite the amount of screentime. Hope Sir PJ will stick to his heroism of Bilbo.

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Mar 5 2011, 10:11am

Post #7 of 31 (627 views)
Shortcut
From the bit beyond the Credits [In reply to] Can't Post

I wold say she misspoke when she said Orcs and they left it in.

Kangi Ska Resident Trickster & Wicked White Crebain
Life is an adventure, not a contest.

At night you can not tell if crows are black or white.
Photobucket

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Mar 5 2011, 5:46pm

Post #8 of 31 (605 views)
Shortcut
Hehe. No, you're right [In reply to] Can't Post

Error caught and it will be corrected in the next episode. Smile

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

TORn Calendar

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Mar 5 2011, 5:59pm

Post #9 of 31 (620 views)
Shortcut
How about the other error? [In reply to] Can't Post

The Mt. Doom/Lonely Mountain one.

'But very bright were the stars upon the margin of the world, when at times the clouds about the West were drawn aside.'

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Mar 5 2011, 6:03pm

Post #10 of 31 (658 views)
Shortcut
It would be really helpful [In reply to] Can't Post

...when media, or other errors are caught here on the boards, to help us out and send a quick email to Xoanon and/or me.

We do a reasonable amount of due diligence on stories we publish on the Home Page, but mostly related to getting the right source, but then we have to move on. We don't have the luxury of catching every media error in all the stories ourselves, especially nuanced ones like the Lonely Mountain one. Frankly, past experience suggests that errors in the stories we post are few and far between, plus this one was from 3foot7 whom we tend to trust. Nor do we have the luxury of scanning every thread here just to see if someone might be talking about an error in a Home Page story.

It's safe to assume that, if an error has made it to the Home Page, we didn't catch it and may never catch it unless some kind reader lets us know. I frankly resent the implication that we're purposely reporting falsehoods. These are simply honest mistakes that we'd happily correct if someone would send us a quick email rather than condemning us for not catching an error from a trusted source in the blur of stories, emails, troll attacks and other things that go on behind the scenes here.

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

TORn Calendar

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Mar 5 2011, 6:18pm

Post #11 of 31 (627 views)
Shortcut
My apologies [In reply to] Can't Post

Since the previous discussion that I had about this was with another member of the TORN team, Ataahua, and we had a laugh about together, I didn't think there would have been any need to bring it further to your attention. Moreover, I seemed like such a fundamental mistake that there shouldn't need to be any need to bring it to your attention. I wasn't implying that you were purposefully reporting falsehoods, I was just disappointed to see something that to me was so obviously wrong (unless the filmmakers are making a truly fundamental change) being perpetuated as fact by such a normally reliable source.

I'm sorry if that was the wrong attitude to take. It won't happen again.

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Mar 5 2011, 6:41pm

Post #12 of 31 (622 views)
Shortcut
No problem, V [In reply to] Can't Post

My feathers get a bit ruffled because i think, by and large, our reporting here has a pretty good record, and a few mistakes are regrettably inevitable. Believe me, we feel worse about them when we find them than you do!

As far as reliable sources, we (as in TORn) did the same thing - we took a normally reliable source (3foot7) and thought we could, well, rely on them. Though, I have to say I read your comment here, then went back and listened to Hobbit in 5, then went to the other thread, then went *back* to Hobbit in 5 before I finally caught the nuance myself. CrazyLaugh So, I think I can safely say that none of the people who report the news would have caught that one without help.

Speaking of nuances, there are many 'jobs' done around here by many people. With just a few exceptions, the people who report the news on the Home Page (and especially Hobbit in 5) have 'jobs' that are completely unrelated to moderating the boards, and vice versa. (putting the word 'jobs' in quotes, because we're all volunteers).

The best thing to do for Home Page stories would be to email the person who posted the story, Xoanon or spymaster @ theonering . net. For Hobbit in 5, email Xoanon and copy me. For anything board related (copyright issues, etc.) email or PM me or another Admin. Smile

TORn Calendar

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Mar 5 2011, 6:42pm

Post #13 of 31 (568 views)
Shortcut
See above // [In reply to] Can't Post

TORn Calendar

k8

Mar 6 2011, 11:57am

Post #14 of 31 (571 views)
Shortcut
Aragorn [In reply to] Can't Post

While Sir Peter Jackson is recovering, he can still go through the Hobbit book once again :) I know they've cast most of the characters but since it's a prequel to the Lord of the Rings, he shouldn't miss that Aragorn actually does appear in the Hobbit - I think he's the misterious man that comes to save the Lake city near the end of the book. How do you think, that may as well make a better connection between the two movies :)

Kyriel
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 6 2011, 1:29pm

Post #15 of 31 (540 views)
Shortcut
I'm thinking [In reply to] Can't Post

That one could probably be attributed to her reading someone else's quote. I assume "Mt. Doom" was in the original quote, and no one at TORN caught the error before Rebekah made her report.

Poor thing, no wonder she was groaning there at the end!

Those left standing will make millions writing books on the way it should have been. --Incubus

B.R.n
The Shire

Mar 6 2011, 6:11pm

Post #16 of 31 (531 views)
Shortcut
? [In reply to] Can't Post

Prequel?Aragorn? The Lord of the Rings is the sequel to The Hobbit and Aragorn had no business in the dragon affair.

(This post was edited by B.R.n on Mar 6 2011, 6:11pm)

Flagg
Tol Eressea

Mar 6 2011, 6:17pm

Post #17 of 31 (531 views)
Shortcut
Are you referring to Bard? // [In reply to] Can't Post

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Mar 6 2011, 6:40pm

Post #18 of 31 (535 views)
Shortcut
It is forgiveable at least [In reply to] Can't Post

to confuse the two. Bard and Aragorn do have similar character arcs. Many movie firsters will notice the similarities straight away, we are sure.

The question is, would it be possible to replace Bard with Aragorn? (I already know the answer but am wondering what others think.)

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Mar 6 2011, 6:57pm

Post #19 of 31 (510 views)
Shortcut
We? [In reply to] Can't Post

*looks closely*

Do you have anything that is preciousss to you?

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Mar 6 2011, 7:20pm

Post #20 of 31 (495 views)
Shortcut
It is the royal we.// [In reply to] Can't Post

Kangi Ska Resident Trickster & Wicked White Crebain
Life is an adventure, not a contest.

At night you can not tell if crows are black or white.
Photobucket

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Mar 6 2011, 8:34pm

Post #21 of 31 (518 views)
Shortcut
Thank you Kangi, that's correct... [In reply to] Can't Post

though Ataahua may not have strayed too wide of the mark. At least this time. Wink

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Mar 6 2011, 9:01pm

Post #22 of 31 (531 views)
Shortcut
I'm reminded of the ubiquitous Mark Twain: [In reply to] Can't Post

“Only kings, presidents, editors, and people with tapeworms have the right to use the editorial 'we'.”

A pity he wasn't around to read The Hobbit so he could modify his quote. :D

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Mar 7 2011, 1:40am

Post #23 of 31 (547 views)
Shortcut
Taking advantage of our delicate state eh? [In reply to] Can't Post

Me and the tapeworms (the tapeworms and I?) are not amused.

Besides, "we" sounds better for some reason. TongueSly

She wants us fighting fit precious, she said so.

k8

Mar 7 2011, 7:06am

Post #24 of 31 (466 views)
Shortcut
Mmm, I don't know... [In reply to] Can't Post

It is actually what happened before the story in the Lord of the Rings :) Read carefully the end of the Hobbit and you'll notice the character I think is Aragorn.

k8

Mar 7 2011, 7:08am

Post #25 of 31 (484 views)
Shortcut
Indeed [In reply to] Can't Post

I am, no one know where he came from and where he went after that so it makes me think it's actually Aragorn.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.