Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Exclusive: Dual Hobbit Film Titles Revealed?
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

News from Bree
spymaster@theonering.net

Mar 2 2011, 5:49pm

Post #1 of 117 (4953 views)
Shortcut
Exclusive: Dual Hobbit Film Titles Revealed? Can't Post

Ringer Spy Mr. Underbelly monitors movie titles that are registered by major film studios. Mr. Underbelly noticed that New Line has recently registered the following two film titles:

The Hobbit: There and Back Again

and...

The Hobbit: An/The Unexpected Journey

This is the first indication of what the 'official' titles will be of the two Hobbit films. What are your thoughts? Remember, this is not confirmed officially, but it is a relatively good indication of what the two film titles could be. Share your thoughts in our forum, comments and on Facebook!

Allanon
The Shire

Mar 2 2011, 11:15pm

Post #2 of 117 (2327 views)
Shortcut
Which way round? [In reply to] Can't Post

Looking at those two titles, I would assign An/The Unexpected Journey to the first film as it deals with the start of the journey and There and Back Again with the second film as it deals with them getting to the end of their journey and then going home.

Maiarmike
Grey Havens

Mar 2 2011, 11:17pm

Post #3 of 117 (1653 views)
Shortcut
Cool! [In reply to] Can't Post

That's pretty much what I was hoping for, to see titles that stick close to the words used to describe Bilbo's journey in the book. I like Unexpected Journey as a subtitle, and There and Back Again was an expected title I think by most fans. I think There and Back Again should be the title of the 2nd film as well though. I would expect that to be the case, because it would make sense. I can just see it now, the Howard Shore music slowly building as "The Hobbit" pops up on the screen just as "The Lord of the Rings" did, and then the shire music takes over as "An Unexpected Journey" pops up while Hobbits work diligently in the spring weather.

(This post was edited by Maiarmike on Mar 2 2011, 11:26pm)

Jettorex
Lorien

Mar 2 2011, 11:19pm

Post #4 of 117 (1941 views)
Shortcut
Agree [In reply to] Can't Post

I like them. But a gree with you. should be the other way around.

- "I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Mar 2 2011, 11:21pm

Post #5 of 117 (1618 views)
Shortcut
Interesting... [In reply to] Can't Post

the later title is a nice take-off of "an unexpected party", and the Red Book...and I agree, it'll probably be the name of the first installment...

Samuel L. Jackson for Bilbo, Woody Allen for Thorin, Lewis Black for Bard and Gilbert Gottfried for Smaug!

MAKE IT HAPPEN, PETER!!!

(This post was edited by Captain Salt on Mar 2 2011, 11:30pm)

One Ringer
Tol Eressea

Mar 2 2011, 11:25pm

Post #6 of 117 (1896 views)
Shortcut
Beat me to it... [In reply to] Can't Post

I think it's pretty evident that that's the proper order. If it isn't, my faith might start to die just a little bit.

"Oh, the cleverness of me."

Vangalad
Lorien

Mar 2 2011, 11:32pm

Post #7 of 117 (1959 views)
Shortcut
Not thrilled from titles [In reply to] Can't Post

I would just prefer part 1 and part 2 ,generally something plain and minimal...

All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

carrioncrow
Lorien

Mar 2 2011, 11:34pm

Post #8 of 117 (1707 views)
Shortcut
spoilers [In reply to] Can't Post

obviously, they should be the other way round.

I can find no fault with them other wise. a clever bit of borrowing.

and yet another clue that Film One will surely end before the company arrives at Erebor

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Mar 2 2011, 11:47pm

Post #9 of 117 (1860 views)
Shortcut
"Part 1 and Part 2" are so plain and unimaginative... [In reply to] Can't Post

Glad they're giving the films subtitles...this approach will help the new duology blend in the LotR trilogy to form a complete "Middle-earth Pentology".

Samuel L. Jackson for Bilbo, Woody Allen for Thorin, Lewis Black for Bard and Gilbert Gottfried for Smaug!

MAKE IT HAPPEN, PETER!!!

chrismortega
Bree

Mar 2 2011, 11:49pm

Post #10 of 117 (1564 views)
Shortcut
Appropriate [In reply to] Can't Post

'An Unexpected Journey' seems exquisitely appropriate given Jackson's last minute role shift, not to mention it totally makes sense in reference to the story. I do prefer 'an' over 'the' as an homage to 'An Unexpected Party'.

"NEVER TRUST AN ELF!"

duats
Grey Havens

Mar 2 2011, 11:49pm

Post #11 of 117 (1592 views)
Shortcut
I agree to an extent [In reply to] Can't Post

I was in the "Part I and Part II" camp, but I surprisingly find myself not minding these subtitles - so long as they are reversed for the films.

An Unexpected Journey should be for Part I, and There and Back Again should be for Part II.

The order that they're in now doesn't make much sense.

(This post was edited by duats on Mar 2 2011, 11:50pm)

Snaga
Lorien

Mar 2 2011, 11:52pm

Post #12 of 117 (1574 views)
Shortcut
I like these a lot [In reply to] Can't Post

Almost exactly as I envisioned it (kinda sorta) back when they announced there was going to be two movies.

"Alas for Boromir! It was too sore a trial!"

-Faramir

rings7
Rohan

Mar 3 2011, 12:18am

Post #13 of 117 (1670 views)
Shortcut
AGREE. [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm happy with the titles. I was expecting Part 1 and 2, but i'm glad they're putting more "emotion" to the titles.

SteveDJ
Rivendell

Mar 3 2011, 12:29am

Post #14 of 117 (1538 views)
Shortcut
Who said that was the order? [In reply to] Can't Post

Nothing in the original story suggests what the order is - just that here are the two titles. In fact, if you ignore the (An/The) as typical, these titles are just sorted alphabetically (There comes before Unexpected).

There is just no way they would put these titles on backwards.

LordMaximus
Rivendell

Mar 3 2011, 12:30am

Post #15 of 117 (1760 views)
Shortcut
I don't think it worked very well for... [In reply to] Can't Post

Deathly Hallows. Would just make it look like they can't be bothered coming up with something more creative. I think the names suit pretty well and are the perfect length.

What is the longest/Worst film title you have seen?. First one that comes to mind is "Laura Croft: Tomb Raider: Cradle of Life"

SteveDJ
Rivendell

Mar 3 2011, 12:34am

Post #16 of 117 (1754 views)
Shortcut
Here is a long title, fairly recent... [In reply to] Can't Post

"Borat: Cultural Learnings of America for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan". Never saw the movie, but from what I heard, it may not have been all that bad...??? But it certainly has to be up there in the "long titles" category. :)

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Mar 3 2011, 1:01am

Post #17 of 117 (1433 views)
Shortcut
Probably... [In reply to] Can't Post

"AVP: Alien VS Predator"

"AVP-R: Aliens VS Predator - Requiem" (both actual movies that were given theatrical release, unfortunately)...

"X-Men Origins: Wolverine" (especially as "X-Men Origins" failed to catch-on as its own brand)

"Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol"

and

"Don't be a Menace to South Central While Drinking Your Juice in the Hood"

MAKE IT HAPPEN, PETER!!!

Vangalad
Lorien

Mar 3 2011, 1:02am

Post #18 of 117 (1568 views)
Shortcut
Thats a hell of a title [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
"Borat: Cultural Learnings of America for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan". Never saw the movie, but from what I heard, it may not have been all that bad...??? But it certainly has to be up there in the "long titles" category. :)

After seing this title there shouldn't be any more complaints.Sly
Certainly The Hobbit title says it all, so any other made up title seems like a minor issue to me...though there and back again if chosen will be something original from Tolkien's text , fitting nicely, but I guess whichever is decided will get used to from all...

All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Mar 3 2011, 1:11am

Post #19 of 117 (1469 views)
Shortcut
titles [In reply to] Can't Post

...should be far more intersting than "Part one...Part two...

There and Back Again has a wonderful droll English humor to it... a sort of opposite to the complex heroics of the actual journey.

AN Unexpected Journey. The is just too... like it's the only one.

Go outside and play...

duats
Grey Havens

Mar 3 2011, 1:16am

Post #20 of 117 (1537 views)
Shortcut
This brings me to my question [In reply to] Can't Post

Putting the order of the titles aside, which do you guys prefer?

An Unexpected Journey or The Unexpected Journey?

I'm going with the former. "The" just seems a bit too typical.

(This post was edited by duats on Mar 3 2011, 1:18am)

Ainu Laire
Tol Eressea

Mar 3 2011, 1:36am

Post #21 of 117 (1367 views)
Shortcut
Completely agree [In reply to] Can't Post

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey, coming to theatres Wednesday, December 19, 2012!
and
The Hobbit: There and Back Again, coming to theatres Wednesday, December 18, 2013!

(Why Wednesday? LOTR's three films were all released on Wednesdays... and that Friday in 2012 is End of the World Day, so I'll be busy partying to that :D)

My LiveJournal ~ My artwork and photography

NARF since age 8, when I refused to read the Hobbit because the cover looked boring and icky.

Maiarmike
Grey Havens

Mar 3 2011, 1:42am

Post #22 of 117 (1350 views)
Shortcut
Yup! [In reply to] Can't Post

Can't wait for the first film to be released, seeing how it will be most likely the last film we all see until December 21st when the world ends...lol. It better deliver. Cool

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Mar 3 2011, 1:43am

Post #23 of 117 (1427 views)
Shortcut
But [In reply to] Can't Post

that Borat title is intriguing, no? It says a lot about the movie it's attached to (and in a more creative way than did Snakes on a Plane).

Another long, though snore-inducing, long title is The Englishman Who Went up a Hill but Came Down a Mountain (shortened to 'The Englishman' on cinema screening boards).

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Garfeimao
Rohan

Mar 3 2011, 1:47am

Post #24 of 117 (1422 views)
Shortcut
I prefer 'An' [In reply to] Can't Post

"The" Unexpected Journey sounds like it's the only one that is or ever will be, which is not very Hobbit-like. "An" Unexpected Journey follows nicely one the heels of the chapter it is paying homage to.

And There and Back Again is what Bilbo called his own text of the same story and is therefore most appropriate.

Well done, if these are the actual film subtitles.

Peace, Love and Rock & Roll,

Garfeimao
The orange stripey One

Cruise to Middle-earth

Ruijor
Rohan

Mar 3 2011, 1:54am

Post #25 of 117 (1375 views)
Shortcut
Well... [In reply to] Can't Post

There And Back Again is unmistakably good. When we had The Hobbit story compressed in only one movie back in the day I used to think this was the only title suitable for it and they could use a more generic LOTR related title for the bridge film. As stated by others, I think this should be the title of the second movie.

Now I don´tknow what to think about An Unexpected Journey; sounds okay I guess but... is it the best title to sell the movie to worldwide audiences? Just a thought...

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.