Confirmed: Ngila Dickson NOT Working on Hobbit Costumes
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

News from Bree
spymaster@theonering.net

Feb 27 2011, 4:37pm

Post #1 of 35 (3531 views)
Shortcut
Confirmed: Ngila Dickson NOT Working on Hobbit Costumes Can't Post

Since production of The Hobbit began ramping up we have been getting emails from curious fashionistas about costume designer Ngila Dickson, will she be continuing stunning her work on The Hobbit? Our answer has always been 'we'll let you know as soon as we know!'. Well the answer now comes in the form of a 'Reel Late with Kate' interview. Moa hunter brings us the news: "Reel Late with Kate [TV3-NZ] last night included an interview with Ngila Dickson. At the end of the programme the presenter (Kate Rodger) said that Ngila Dickson would not be working on The Hobbit because of existing contractual obligations."

Sad news indeed! So, who do you think should get the gig? Post on our Message Boards!

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Feb 27 2011, 10:24pm

Post #2 of 35 (2098 views)
Shortcut
It's a shame [In reply to] Can't Post

But I'm sure whomever they found to head their costume department will do a fine job. Can't wait to see the cast in costume!

My LiveJournal
My Costuming Site
TORn's Costume Discussions Archive

Milknut
Rohan

Feb 27 2011, 11:13pm

Post #3 of 35 (1997 views)
Shortcut
:(// [In reply to] Can't Post

The cake is a lie.
The cake is a lie.
The cake is a lie.
The cake is a lie.
The cake is a lie___

Faenoriel
Tol Eressea

Feb 28 2011, 1:13am

Post #4 of 35 (1991 views)
Shortcut
What a shame [In reply to] Can't Post

I was about to make a thread about this just earlier this day... oh what ever. Ngila is such a genious, but I'm who ever steps into her shoes is cabable of filling them. In PJ I trust. That guy knows how to collect talented people around him.

Steerpike
Bree

Feb 28 2011, 4:05am

Post #5 of 35 (2033 views)
Shortcut
Probably for the best [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm sure some of the old costume designs and themes will carry over to the new movies - Rivendell, Galadriel, hobbits - but this is a great chance to mix things up a little and bring in some fresh ideas for the Mirkwood elves, Laketown, goblins, dwarves, etc.

(This post was edited by Steerpike on Feb 28 2011, 4:06am)

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 28 2011, 6:09am

Post #6 of 35 (1934 views)
Shortcut
I'm quite sad... [In reply to] Can't Post

... but I don't think it's the end of the world. I mean, it's not like ALL of the folks at Weta who worked on LOTR are working on TH... many have moved on! I'm happy just to know the production is in capable hands Smile

I will miss Ngila Dickson though Frown

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Feb 28 2011, 6:22am

Post #7 of 35 (1982 views)
Shortcut
And we all know that costume designers never have new ideas after 10 years of working on other movies... [In reply to] Can't Post

Ngila Dickson is one of the most versatile designers in film, imho. Her work on LOTR was unparalleled, also imho. She brought together different races and different cultures and managed to make each look different while still designing each to look like they were part of a greater whole. Do you truly believe she would not have been able to do the same for the new cultures in The Hobbit?

My LiveJournal
My Costuming Site

Owain
Tol Eressea

Feb 28 2011, 6:52am

Post #8 of 35 (1960 views)
Shortcut
I didn't take SteerPike's post to imply... [In reply to] Can't Post

That Ngila Dickson was incapable... just that it would be interesting to see a fresh perspective... much like Guillermo Del Toro was to be.

Middle Earth is New Zealand!

"Question everything, embrace the bad, and hold on to the good."

Steerpike
Bree

Feb 28 2011, 7:00am

Post #9 of 35 (1927 views)
Shortcut
I didn't say that she couldn't [In reply to] Can't Post

and I have no doubt that she could. Please excuse my optimism, but I don't see this as too great a tragedy, as I'm sure there are other designers who can take things in new and interesting directions, that Ngila, despite her experience, may never have considered, and yet still fit within the greater framework of Peter Jackson's take on Middle Earth. In the same way, I look forward to seeing Guillermo Del Toro's designs, which I'm sure will still fit within the greater whole and yet take things in new directions that the earlier design team would have probably never considered, despite their continuing experience in the field.

_V_
Lorien

Feb 28 2011, 7:08am

Post #10 of 35 (1907 views)
Shortcut
This leaves me sad and confused [In reply to] Can't Post

ReVolution of Evangelion

"Pleased to meet you, hope you guessed my name, but what's puzzling you, is the nature of my game"

Formerly known on TORN as "Draug the Unspeakably Violent"

Owain
Tol Eressea

Feb 28 2011, 7:09am

Post #11 of 35 (1925 views)
Shortcut
Ngila did a fantastic job on the trilogy... [In reply to] Can't Post

she hasn't really done anything of note during/since, save Blood Diamond and The Last Samurai.

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Feb 28 2011, 7:10am

Post #12 of 35 (1914 views)
Shortcut
I see your point more clearly post-edit [In reply to] Can't Post

And I hope that you'll forgive me for jumping to conclusions after your original post. I don't believe that I did call this a tragedy and I certainly never meant to imply it. You're right that there are certainly other designers who will do a great job with this film.

When GDT was named as director to these movies I was all for the change in view. I guess I'm finally getting a taste of what the PJ supporters were feeling then. While I'm excited to see what this unnamed designer comes up with, and I've known for a long while that Ngila wouldn't be on these films, I feel a certain sense of disappointment that I won't get to see Ngila's designs in exchange for seeing these others.

Again, thank you for clarifying your position.

My LiveJournal
My Costuming Site

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Feb 28 2011, 7:19am

Post #13 of 35 (1913 views)
Shortcut
I would toss The Illusionist on that pile too, personally [In reply to] Can't Post

But I'm rather partial to some of the costumes from that film.

My LiveJournal
My Costuming Site

Owain
Tol Eressea

Feb 28 2011, 7:24am

Post #14 of 35 (1913 views)
Shortcut
Yeah... I thought The Prestige was a way better film... [In reply to] Can't Post

which came out around the time of The Illusionist. I don't really recall the costumes in that film because I didn't really think the film was that great... I digress.

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Feb 28 2011, 7:36am

Post #15 of 35 (1889 views)
Shortcut
Ah, I see [In reply to] Can't Post

Different definitions of notable I suppose. The film may not have been well-received, but the costumes were superb :-)

I've yet to watch The p*restige. My Netflix queue is out of hand as it is!

My LiveJournal
My Costuming Site

Owain
Tol Eressea

Feb 28 2011, 7:39am

Post #16 of 35 (1888 views)
Shortcut
Cool... in any event, an amazing designer, to be sure. [In reply to] Can't Post

And she is more than capable of the task that is The Hobbit films. Too bad she won't be on this go around.

stormcrow20
Gondor

Feb 28 2011, 7:39am

Post #17 of 35 (1919 views)
Shortcut
Disappointing. [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm sad to see this. I was hoping as many of the "Rings" family would be returning as possible. With so many of the great actors and other behind-the-scenes artists already confirmed to return, it looked as if that would happen. Ngila's work was complete and beautiful perfection. I am optimistic for the new talent this will bring, but I am definitely disappointed that we won't be seeing more of Middle-earth from Ngila. At least the newcomers will have her styles as guidelines to start from.

Hopefully they will use one of Ngila's original "Grey" costumes from LotR for Gandalf, with a just few minor touches added (such as a silver scarf).

A greenlight from the shadows shall spring!

duats
Grey Havens

Feb 28 2011, 7:46am

Post #18 of 35 (1909 views)
Shortcut
I'd love... [In reply to] Can't Post

To see Gandalf the Grey's costume tweaked to fit more with Tolkien's description/s.

...an old man with a staff. He had a tall pointed blue hat, a long grey cloak, a silver scarf over which a white beard hung down below his waist, and immense black boots

Gandalf's hat was wide-brimmed [..] with a pointed conical crown, and it was blue; he wore a long grey cloak, but this would not reach much below his knees. It was of an elven silver-grey hue, though tarnished by wear - as is evident from the general use of grey in the book... But his colours were always white, silver-grey, and blue - except for the boots he wore when walking in the wild...Gandalf even bent must have been at least 5 ft. 6... Which would make him a short man even in modern England, especially with the reduction of a bent back

I also would have loved to see Gandalf the Grey with the massive beard, but I guess they'd deem that too outlandish/cartoonish for live action.

(This post was edited by duats on Feb 28 2011, 7:48am)

Rosie-with-the-ribbons
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 28 2011, 11:07am

Post #19 of 35 (1856 views)
Shortcut
That's sad [In reply to] Can't Post

I totally loved what she has done for LOTR. Giving a distinct feel to all the various races, all fitting with the design of other parts for them.

Now I'm curious who will get the job and what they will come up with, although a lot is probably copied from LOTR.

Alientraveller
Lorien

Feb 28 2011, 11:11am

Post #20 of 35 (1862 views)
Shortcut
They dubbed it the Santa beard [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I also would have loved to see Gandalf the Grey with the massive beard, but I guess they'd deem that too outlandish/cartoonish for live action.

As I recall in the making of books the make-up artists (both named Peter) saw McKellen was struggling with such an enormous beard.

It's a shame Ngila Dickson can't work on The Hobbit, I hope she's ok if it's due to family issues because I can't see why PJ wouldn't ask her back. I loved Ngila's approach from the documentaries and books, where she talked about ageing all the clothes to make them authentic.

DrDeath153
Lorien

Feb 28 2011, 11:14am

Post #21 of 35 (1867 views)
Shortcut
It's a real disappointment to be sure [In reply to] Can't Post

Ngila Dickson was obviously extremely good at what she did even if it was less in the limelight than the great work done by Weta and other parts of the design team. I also found Ngila in the interviews she gave to be a very appealing person- a real gutsy kind of woman with a dry sense of humour, so yes, i'm very sad to discover she won't be involved.

Whoever they have got to replace her (and i imagine they've already been hired- even before you start fitting costumes to actors there's a lot of work that already must have had to be done: hiring of the rest of the department, gathering the raw materials, designing the costumes alongside Weta etc) i daresay will do well enough- i don't think there'll be a perceivable drop in quality, but obviously they won't have the same flair as Ngila.

Oh and duats- no thanks. Immense black boots? Cloaks which ride comically short brushing against his calves? Do you want eyebrows that stick out beyond the brim of his hat too? Personally i prefer to go with what looks right rather than what Tolkien necessarily says- it's the image he evokes rather than the words he says which make Tolkien such a good writer and the design team on LotR by and large knew exactly when to deviate- Tolkien was not a costume designer and i think we should always acknowledge his limitations in those elements. Then again, i do with they had stuck more to his descriptions of Fangorn rather than turning it into some sub-tropical jungle- when it came to landscapes and forests that man did know what he was talking about.

Dr Death

Darkstone
Immortal

Feb 28 2011, 2:38pm

Post #22 of 35 (1859 views)
Shortcut
Sad. [In reply to] Can't Post

One might argue that the work of a new designer might inherently give a sense of the 60 year gap. However, Ms. Dickson ably showed such would not be a hurdle for her.

As for a replacement, I'd suggest eight time Oscar nominated, three time winner Sandy Powell. She has a very impressive portfolio: Rob Roy, The Crying Game, Shakespeare in Love, Interview with the Vampire, Gangs of New York, Shutter Island, and Young Victoria to name a few. I especially loved her work on Orlando.

Pippin: "When you guys fall in the forest, does it make a sound?"
Bregalad: "Are you kidding? Scott fell last week and he hasn't shut up about it since!"

WilliamJESnider
Bree

Feb 28 2011, 4:41pm

Post #23 of 35 (1834 views)
Shortcut
Bummer [In reply to] Can't Post

Her work on The Lord of the Rings was phenomenal, and I'm confident that he work will be honored by whoever follows in her footsteps, but I can't imagine anyone else being able to do quite as good a job.

admin of http://www.facebook.com/pages/Martin-Freeman-should-portray-Bilbo-Baggins/101180775324

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Feb 28 2011, 4:43pm

Post #24 of 35 (1842 views)
Shortcut
Richard Taylor? [In reply to] Can't Post

Weta's Richard Taylor is also credited with costume design for all three LOTR films. I'm sure that he will be involved with costuming for The Hobbit in some capacity.

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Feb 28 2011, 4:46pm

Post #25 of 35 (1822 views)
Shortcut
I believe his work was mostly with the armor designs // [In reply to] Can't Post

My LiveJournal
My Costuming Site

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.