Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Northern Mine Barrage :
Exclusive: Barrel-Riding Test Photos at Aratiatia Rapids
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

News from Bree
spymaster@theonering.net

Feb 26 2011, 7:30am

Post #1 of 53 (1942 views)
Shortcut
Exclusive: Barrel-Riding Test Photos at Aratiatia Rapids Can't Post

A few weeks back, we posted a story from the NZ Post about how the Aratiatia Rapids, a popular tourist destination, would be shut down for four days during peak tourist season for The Hobbit filming. Adding further credit to that report are these images from Ringer Spy Hobbitwatch. In the photos, you can see a crew performing some kind of tests with pink barrels at the Falls. Here is the full report from Ringer Spy Hobbitwatch:
Just sending you a few pics of the activity going on at the Aratiatia Rapids where they have started filming for the barrell scenes in The Hobbit, they had heaps of safety people there as pretty dangerous stuff, mostly all wound up when I took the pics, but shows the barrels they were using for when the Bilbo Baggins and the dwarves, rode the rapids in barrels to get away from the orcs I think it was. the barrels are pink so as to allow for them being digitalized apparently. the hyab truck was in place to maybe film up the rapids, anyway, they used both ends of the rapids to do the job, as you will see. there are big barrels on the truck, plus a small one, I guess for scaling for Hobbit size?? A couple of pics also of the crew, both safty and filming by the looks of it having smoko.

Dont' forget to see all the photos after the break!

(This post was edited by calisuri on Feb 26 2011, 1:14pm)

Pipe Dream
Gunner

Feb 26 2011, 1:39pm

Post #2 of 53 (869 views)
Shortcut
COOL! [In reply to] Can't Post

Neat to see. I bet those holes fill water into a chamber to keep the barrel down weighted so it won't roll over.

Photobucket
<<<<There is a long road yet>>>>

Bound
Rigger

Feb 26 2011, 1:49pm

Post #3 of 53 (825 views)
Shortcut
Awesome... [In reply to] Can't Post

I reckon the fear that there will be too much stage work can disappear ... I reckon they'll try shoot as much on location !

the man in black fled across the desert and the gunslinger followed

Faenoriel
Sailing Master

Feb 26 2011, 1:53pm

Post #4 of 53 (799 views)
Shortcut
Yay! Thanks for the pics! // [In reply to] Can't Post

macfalk
Quartermaster

Feb 26 2011, 1:53pm

Post #5 of 53 (807 views)
Shortcut
The last picture is awesome // [In reply to] Can't Post

The greatest adventure is what lies ahead.

Snulle
Powder Monkey

Feb 26 2011, 2:01pm

Post #6 of 53 (840 views)
Shortcut
Agree [In reply to] Can't Post

The last picture gave me goosebumps! Heart
I love this time with spy photos and preproduction news. Sly

smokerings
Cabin Boy

Feb 26 2011, 3:09pm

Post #7 of 53 (795 views)
Shortcut
very, very, very [In reply to] Can't Post

COOL! Anyone else making some loose assumptions with the pink barrels? Are these for motion capture, CG in post, or do you think they will CG Bilbo on one? Or this may simply be testing where they will CG in post to see the limits that WETA has Evil

If you look closely, you will see a smaller scale barrel (most likely for perspective) as well as some actual real barrels in elvish wood!

rings7
Rigger

Feb 26 2011, 3:37pm

Post #8 of 53 (805 views)
Shortcut
I'm confused [In reply to] Can't Post

Isn't Bilbo wearing the ring at that point and does not need to get into a barrel and just sent the dwarfs? I need to read the book again. Evil

Crunchable Birdses
Rigger

Feb 26 2011, 3:44pm

Post #9 of 53 (757 views)
Shortcut
Yeah [In reply to] Can't Post

All of the above I think. I see the pink barrels have black triangles stamped on them, which look like reference markers so they can track the motion accurately for the CG barrels that they will replace them with in post.

* crunch *

grammaboodawg
Captain

Feb 26 2011, 3:44pm

Post #10 of 53 (755 views)
Shortcut
*frantic geeky hand-clapping* OMG! Here we go! [In reply to] Can't Post

I know we've had a few other pics here and there... but this is SO WAY AWESOME!!!! OMG!!!! *spins in chair* What a great location!!! TRUCKS OF BARRELS!! WOOHOOO!!!!!! :D

sample sample

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists
Unused Scenes

Kangi Ska
First Mate

Feb 26 2011, 3:50pm

Post #11 of 53 (758 views)
Shortcut
Lets hope they don't put Bilbo in a barrel. [In reply to] Can't Post

He rides on top. Who is going to let them all out if not Bilbo? Maybe they were just checking the action on a smaller model barrel.

Kangi Ska Resident Trickster & Wicked White Crebain
Life is an adventure, not a contest.

At night you can not tell if crows are black or white.
Photobucket

Carne
Sailing Master

Feb 26 2011, 4:00pm

Post #12 of 53 (755 views)
Shortcut
Bilbo and barrels [In reply to] Can't Post

I really hope they don't leave Bilbo with the ring on throughout the whole barrel ride. I'd rather get to see him, instead of the camera focusing on a barrel. Maybe have him almost lose the ring as the barrel ride starts, then he puts in on before they get to land?

And I'm assuming the small barrel is so they can make the surroundings look bigger.

macfalk
Quartermaster

Feb 26 2011, 4:01pm

Post #13 of 53 (751 views)
Shortcut
Riding a barrel [In reply to] Can't Post

I agree Kangi but, could that not be pretty dangerous for the actor (Freeman)? I mean Viggo almost drowned (true) when he was floating in the river

The greatest adventure is what lies ahead.

Flagg
Sailing Master

Feb 26 2011, 4:04pm

Post #14 of 53 (741 views)
Shortcut
Why not both? [In reply to] Can't Post

Why not show Bilbo wearing the ring while on the barrel? They showed Frodo wearing the ring plenty of times in the trilogy.

Kangi Ska
First Mate

Feb 26 2011, 4:21pm

Post #15 of 53 (741 views)
Shortcut
Well It could be dangerous [In reply to] Can't Post

But I would think they would not put an actor (or even perhaps a stuntman) on the barrel. They ca do that by digital insertion for the long shots and put Bilbo/Martin on a barrel top against a green screen for closeups.

Kangi Ska Resident Trickster & Wicked White Crebain
Life is an adventure, not a contest.

At night you can not tell if crows are black or white.
Photobucket

(This post was edited by Kangi Ska on Feb 26 2011, 4:21pm)

Vellamo
Cabin Boy

Feb 26 2011, 4:32pm

Post #16 of 53 (709 views)
Shortcut
I wonder what the real barrels are there for? // [In reply to] Can't Post

Rosie-with-the-ribbons
Terror of the Seas / Moderator

Feb 26 2011, 4:47pm

Post #17 of 53 (718 views)
Shortcut
Woohoo [In reply to] Can't Post

How cool to say they are working on the movie.

And what a gorgeous location. They sure know how to pick the best spots in NZ.

Auraran
Able Seaman

Feb 26 2011, 5:06pm

Post #18 of 53 (739 views)
Shortcut
Is this a clue where the movies divide? [In reply to] Can't Post

I and several others before me have always felt that the logical dividing place between the two movies is when Bilbo and the dwarves are escaping from the Elves' prison with the dwarves inside barrels, and Bilbo riding on top of one. Then, just before they arrive at Laketown, the movie shows Bilbo looking up at the distant and foreboding Lonely Mountain, where the next part of their adventure will take place in the second movie.

Maybe not, but there has to be some reason why PJ is starting off doing filming tests on the barrels scene, which occurs quite late in the book.

I realize that they don't need to film the movie in any particular sequence, and maybe this is simply tech stuff can be done without actors, but still, doing the prep work on filming the barrels scene at such an early date makes me wonder if for some reason they're doing a test run on the last scene of the first movie.

Earl
Terror of the Seas / Moderator

Feb 26 2011, 5:25pm

Post #19 of 53 (699 views)
Shortcut
WHEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeeee! [In reply to] Can't Post

I feel like going out and riding a barrel Tongue This is the most substantial and definitely-Hobbit spy pic we've got to date. And how awesome is the location!? Cool

Daisy Gold
Swabbie

Feb 26 2011, 5:37pm

Post #20 of 53 (678 views)
Shortcut
Pink Barrels? [In reply to] Can't Post

Does this mean the elven king enjoys rose wine? Maybe one with redcurrant and strawberry fruit flavours!!!!Wink

Eruonen
Sailing Master

Feb 26 2011, 5:39pm

Post #21 of 53 (668 views)
Shortcut
Just glad to see work starting! [In reply to] Can't Post

Captain Salt
Sailing Master

Feb 26 2011, 5:54pm

Post #22 of 53 (683 views)
Shortcut
I looks like... [In reply to] Can't Post

they're not filming anything and just testing the mechanics of getting barrel-shaped objects down the river...thus, the barrels in the film probably won't be CGI...

Anyhoo, very cool too see the early stages of the production commencing!

Samuel L. Jackson for Bilbo, Woody Allen for Thorin, Lewis Black for Bard and Gilbert Gottfried for Smaug!

MAKE IT HAPPEN, PETER!!!

rings7
Rigger

Feb 26 2011, 7:00pm

Post #23 of 53 (653 views)
Shortcut
I know [In reply to] Can't Post

I was thinking that. I was like "yay! we'll get to see the barrels scene in the first movie!" Wink

Captain Salt
Sailing Master

Feb 26 2011, 8:02pm

Post #24 of 53 (638 views)
Shortcut
The don't film a movie(s) in chronological order... [In reply to] Can't Post

The Gray Heavens was the second scene Ian McKellan shot on the production. They shoot scenes according to when actors, sets, locations and effects are available, not when the scenes take place in the story...IE, we still have no idea whether the barrel-riders will appear in Film 1 or 2.

Logically, if they end Film 1 that late then Film 2 won't have enough for Bilbo and the Dwarves to do. My money's on Film 1 ending soon after the escape from the Eagles...

Samuel L. Jackson for Bilbo, Woody Allen for Thorin, Lewis Black for Bard and Gilbert Gottfried for Smaug!

MAKE IT HAPPEN, PETER!!!

Captain Salt
Sailing Master

Feb 26 2011, 8:20pm

Post #25 of 53 (611 views)
Shortcut
"ON the Eagles" [In reply to] Can't Post

unless the 1970's musical group will be appearing as antagonists in some capacity...

MAKE IT HAPPEN, PETER!!!

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.