Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Dwarf and Hobbit Trainer Identified

News from Bree
spymaster@theonering.net

Feb 24 2011, 8:26am

Post #1 of 10 (1801 views)
Shortcut
Dwarf and Hobbit Trainer Identified Can't Post

We've heard a lot from a few Hobbit actors about the 'training' they are undergoing for 'The Hobbit' films. Thanks to this story in the Calgary Herald (sent in by Ringer Hobbitonmayor), we may have a clearer picture on just who might be training them: Veteran stuntman, film producer and martial arts expert Steve McMichael. Follow the link to read the full story.  [Read on]

ceti
The Shire

Feb 24 2011, 5:34pm

Post #2 of 10 (720 views)
Shortcut
Ahem!.... [In reply to] Can't Post

sphdle1
Gondor

Feb 24 2011, 5:49pm

Post #3 of 10 (695 views)
Shortcut
Interesting article - A bombing -25 in Calgary today...things are heating up// [In reply to] Can't Post

sphdle1

"You shall not pass!"

bookgirl13
Lorien

Feb 24 2011, 5:52pm

Post #4 of 10 (699 views)
Shortcut
If this is accurate [In reply to] Can't Post

I knew that hobbits were good wrestlers, so perhaps for the same reasons, dwarves are too. It casts an interesting light on how the dwarves (and hobbit) are perhaps going to be portrayed. Steve McMichael's combat style is very athletic and flowing, which means that the dwarves are possibly not going to be as hampered with equipment and beards as Gimli was in LotR.

It also explains why the cast are spending so many hours training and are saying that it is very hard, physical work. The younger range of actors is also more understandable now.

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Feb 24 2011, 9:34pm

Post #5 of 10 (672 views)
Shortcut
Fighting hobbits??? [In reply to] Can't Post

Fighting dwarves I can see, and elves, and orcs, and Men. But hobbits??? I can only hope that whoever wrote the article is unfamiliar with the the story and assumed that a movie called The Hobbit with fights would have fighting hobbits, rather than any specific info.

Join us in the Reading Room for chapter discussions of LotR The Two Towers, Book III!

Elizabeth is the TORnsib formerly known as 'erather'

bookgirl13
Lorien

Feb 24 2011, 9:52pm

Post #6 of 10 (657 views)
Shortcut
Dwarves surely [In reply to] Can't Post

As we know that the cast of dwarves and Martin Freeman are undergoing training, I think you are right in thinking that this was an example of sloppy journalism, or editing.

At least, I hope we're not subjected to a total rewrite of The Hobbit to include the Battle of Six Armies, as a valiant troop of hobbits travel from the Shire to support their favourite uncle Bilbo in his tussle with the forces of evil - and to make sure Thorin reinstates him as the 'bestist hobbit and burglar in ME'. After all PJ brought elves to Helm's Deep! Wink

Squashed_into_Jelly
Bree

Feb 24 2011, 11:08pm

Post #7 of 10 (668 views)
Shortcut
The Spiders [In reply to] Can't Post

Bilbo beat up on those spiders saving the dwarves.

KAOS82
Rohan

Feb 25 2011, 12:26am

Post #8 of 10 (622 views)
Shortcut
true [In reply to] Can't Post

Bilbo has more action scenes than Frodo or other hobbits; but we have also to remember when he fought spiders he has the ring on so we should not see him but just Sting...

TÚRIN TURAMBAR DAGNIR GLAURUNGA & NIENOR NÍNIEL

sphdle1
Gondor

Feb 25 2011, 12:31pm

Post #9 of 10 (584 views)
Shortcut
I don't remember much about the play [In reply to] Can't Post

but when I was in elementary school, I was both a dwarf and a goblin in the play. I didn't like where the green/purple tights, but did enjoy rolling barrels and dying in the fight scene. I'm sure it's just Bilbo as far as hobbits fighting, but not having read the books, I can't imagine LOTR TTT without the elves showing up...I think it was awesome to see them unite once more.

sphdle1

"You shall not pass!"

bookgirl13
Lorien

Feb 25 2011, 12:56pm

Post #10 of 10 (663 views)
Shortcut
Ninja Hobbits [In reply to] Can't Post

It is just Bilbo in The Hobbit - my tongue was firmly in my cheek when I suggested an army of hobbits descending onto Erebor to save the day. Smile

Though from Pippin's comment in LotR, wrestling - which is part of McMichael's speciality if I understood Wikipedia right - is the hobbits' preferred fighting method, apart from slinging stones. So, wrestling ninja hobbits?

And the image that passes through my mind is of the Tae Kwon Dodos in the Ice Age movie. Cool

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.