Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Exclusive: Ringer Spy Mr. Anderson Shares Miramar Shots
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

News from Bree
spymaster@theonering.net

Feb 19 2011, 9:22am

Post #1 of 63 (3512 views)
Shortcut
Exclusive: Ringer Spy Mr. Anderson Shares Miramar Shots Can't Post

Ringer Spy Mr. Anderson sends along these exclusive pics of The Hobbit sets being built in Miramar, NZ. If you look closely at some of the pictures, you'll notice that the architecture seems to resemble that of Moria. I'm sure we can all draw our own conclusions, but could this be a flashforward sequence for Moria? Maybe we are getting a peak into the Lonely Moutain? Or maybe it has nothing to do with Dwarves at all! Share your thoughts and click the 'continue reading' below for the full gallery.

Got a tip or spy report?
Send it in!

Welsh hero
Gondor

Feb 19 2011, 3:28pm

Post #2 of 63 (1040 views)
Shortcut
Amazing [In reply to] Can't Post

http://www.facebook.com/hobbitnz

macfalk
Valinor

Feb 19 2011, 3:36pm

Post #3 of 63 (1070 views)
Shortcut
Definately not Moria, I'd say [In reply to] Can't Post

Those brick-like walls looks like the exterior for a city like Laketown, though it looks a bit odd.

One thing that concerns me is that PJ maybe over-use studio-shooting against a green screen which he did in King Kong. Because, despite how good the studio set is, 99/100 you can spot that it's studio built and not a real location which is not good.

The greatest adventure is what lies ahead.

(This post was edited by macfalk on Feb 19 2011, 3:38pm)

Flagg
Tol Eressea

Feb 19 2011, 4:05pm

Post #4 of 63 (991 views)
Shortcut
Interesting [In reply to] Can't Post

It doesn't look much like Moria to me, and I don't think it's Laketown either – Laketown should be more wood-based. Judging by the sturdy stone doorways and delapidated arches, I would say this is the ruined interior of Erebor. That's the only location visited in the story which this set somewhat resembles. Unless it's an area exclusive to the film... surely not Dol Guldur, but perhaps some unknown new place?

Faenoriel
Tol Eressea

Feb 19 2011, 4:12pm

Post #5 of 63 (1097 views)
Shortcut
Not Dwarves - they have no round shapes. [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd say they're from Thranduil's halls. They resemble architechture of the Grey Havens miniature, which was made to be like Rivendell, but made out of stone.

B.R.n
The Shire

Feb 19 2011, 4:27pm

Post #6 of 63 (989 views)
Shortcut
dale? [In reply to] Can't Post

Dale?

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Feb 19 2011, 4:41pm

Post #7 of 63 (991 views)
Shortcut
I think you have nailed it. Definately Elvish.// [In reply to] Can't Post

Kangi Ska Resident Trickster & Wicked White Crebain
Life is an adventure, not a contest.

At night you can not tell if crows are black or white.
Photobucket

Pipe Dream
Gondor

Feb 19 2011, 4:54pm

Post #8 of 63 (965 views)
Shortcut
EEEK! [In reply to] Can't Post

I think they should have sat on these pics a bit longer. It's going to make them sit up and take notice of a security problem. It definitely looks like dwarvish stuff to me with other mixed in. Some straight lines and some rounded, but only pieces of a sets, not complete. I bet after this, the sets will have tighter security and far less pictures.

Photobucket
<<<<There is a long road yet>>>>

(This post was edited by Pipe Dream on Feb 19 2011, 5:03pm)

dormouse
Half-elven

Feb 19 2011, 4:55pm

Post #9 of 63 (953 views)
Shortcut
That's what I thought... [In reply to] Can't Post

.. seeing those fluted columns. Elves underground, using stone, not wood.

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 19 2011, 4:58pm

Post #10 of 63 (966 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, the moment I saw rounded stone arches... [In reply to] Can't Post

... I thought "Thranduil's Halls" Cool

Ruijor
Rohan

Feb 19 2011, 5:10pm

Post #11 of 63 (948 views)
Shortcut
I will go with the elven architecture possibilty as well... [In reply to] Can't Post

Flagg
Tol Eressea

Feb 19 2011, 5:41pm

Post #12 of 63 (965 views)
Shortcut
Thranduil's halls [In reply to] Can't Post

For some reason, I always expected the Halls of the Elvenking to be a bit more... woody. A bit like Rivendell and Lothlórien. It seems strange for an Elven construction to be so stark and stony – not to mention delapidated. We'll see.

Cagliostro
The Shire

Feb 19 2011, 5:41pm

Post #13 of 63 (909 views)
Shortcut
Hmm... [In reply to] Can't Post

Well, if it is Moria, that's good news. I wasn't much of a fan of the Silmarillion - I found it dead boring. But, I really enjoyed the bit about the dwarves losing Moria. I never really felt for the dwarves in the Hobbit - I thought they were just being greedy when I read it as a young tyke, and never shook it until I read about that. So if this is Moria, and we get to see it overrun, my confidence in this production has just gone up considerably.

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 19 2011, 6:06pm

Post #14 of 63 (933 views)
Shortcut
Did anyone notice the tree stump and the tree trunk behind it? [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm thinking there's a very high probability we're looking at Thranduil's Halls. As Elves who love nature, they're bound to have trees (or rather trees carved of stone) within their stone halls. I wouldn't be surprised if the designs for Thranduil's Halls were based on the detailed descriptions of Menegroth provided in the Silmarillion and the HoME books.

Ruijor
Rohan

Feb 19 2011, 6:17pm

Post #15 of 63 (886 views)
Shortcut
I did notice the trees... [In reply to] Can't Post

...and that´s one of the reasons I believe it´s related to the elves.

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Feb 19 2011, 6:26pm

Post #16 of 63 (885 views)
Shortcut
Dale would be another good option. It would have a strong Numenorian influence.// [In reply to] Can't Post

Kangi Ska Resident Trickster & Wicked White Crebain
Life is an adventure, not a contest.

At night you can not tell if crows are black or white.
Photobucket

RaoulJ
Rivendell

Feb 19 2011, 6:47pm

Post #17 of 63 (959 views)
Shortcut
Well... [In reply to] Can't Post

I think we have seen this tree and these 'stones' before. Check the noldorblog - 14th of february. http://nznoldor.blogspot.com/...s-to-have-begun.html
We may have the secret name of the 2 Hobbit movies: Cardinal!

No scouts this time...

RaoulJ
Rivendell

Feb 19 2011, 7:00pm

Post #18 of 63 (881 views)
Shortcut
Just thinking [In reply to] Can't Post

Ofcourse it could be that it's vice versa:these pictures are of the game 'cardinal'. After all it was reported that the set was made by Weta. And now they are stored in the studios, after filming was done.

Has anybody seen the shoot of the ingamefilm? It was in the Kaitoke Park (Rivendell), apparently shot by Lee Tamahori.

Maiarmike
Grey Havens

Feb 19 2011, 7:05pm

Post #19 of 63 (860 views)
Shortcut
Hmm [In reply to] Can't Post

Interesting. Those halls look pretty cool. But they could just be getting them ready with paint, etc. and they haven't assembled anything yet. The stone set with trees to the left looks like something from Gondor, maybe they just had it stored somewhere, and are going to re-use parts of it and make it look different. Nice to see that this movie is becoming a reality after all though. Smile

Bound
Rohan

Feb 19 2011, 7:32pm

Post #20 of 63 (857 views)
Shortcut
Agreed... [In reply to] Can't Post

I think you are right.. there is a stong possibilty that these are picutres from that Cardinal Game. No proff that they from the hobbit.

the man in black fled across the desert and the gunslinger followed

RaoulJ
Rivendell

Feb 19 2011, 7:53pm

Post #21 of 63 (840 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, [In reply to] Can't Post

but the designs look Hobbit/lotr-like. Ofcourse nowadays almost every fantasygame or movie tries to incorparate a LOTR-feel... And with the Weta-link it is probably even more apparent.

But especially the (blue) blocks (on the left) do have this dwarven-feel. And the archs too. I can't find a picture of the three doors/gates where Gandalf is using his nose but what did the keystone look like? Because the arch in the back reminds me of something....

Bound
Rohan

Feb 19 2011, 7:58pm

Post #22 of 63 (817 views)
Shortcut
I agree... [In reply to] Can't Post

That they look like LotR design but as you said with Weta designing stuff for the computer game it's obvious that stuff would look the same.

I also agree, having played alot of RPG games since LotR came out - most borrow from their design templates !

the man in black fled across the desert and the gunslinger followed

WilliamJESnider
Bree

Feb 19 2011, 8:07pm

Post #23 of 63 (801 views)
Shortcut
I agree [In reply to] Can't Post

I agree. It looks a lot like how I imagined Mirkwood elves palaces.

admin of http://www.facebook.com/pages/Martin-Freeman-should-portray-Bilbo-Baggins/101180775324

WilliamJESnider
Bree

Feb 19 2011, 8:08pm

Post #24 of 63 (800 views)
Shortcut
Thank you! [In reply to] Can't Post

I almost pooped my pants with excitement.

admin of http://www.facebook.com/pages/Martin-Freeman-should-portray-Bilbo-Baggins/101180775324

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Feb 19 2011, 8:14pm

Post #25 of 63 (770 views)
Shortcut
Thank goodness excitement is not indelible. / [In reply to] Can't Post

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.