Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Saoirse Ronan talks 'Hobbit'

News from Bree
spymaster@theonering.net

Feb 14 2011, 9:21am

Post #1 of 22 (2454 views)
Shortcut
Saoirse Ronan talks 'Hobbit' Can't Post

In her first public statements about her rumored role in 'The Hobbit,' actress Saoirse Ronan told IrishTimes.com:
"No, nothing has actually been confirmed yet. I’d love to get a role in The Hobbit . I think everybody in the world would like a role in The Hobbit ."

It has been reported that Ms. Ronan is up for the rumored role of Itaril, a character created specifically for the two Hobbit films. Itaril is described as a Silvan Elf chosen to become part of the Woodland King's Guard. Thanks to Ringer Merielle for the heads up, and click the link for the complete details. [Read More]

(This post was edited by calisuri on Feb 14 2011, 2:30pm)

Welsh hero
Gondor

Feb 14 2011, 3:46pm

Post #2 of 22 (970 views)
Shortcut
So it's possible she's not in it then [In reply to] Can't Post

I need to see lovely bones if she it.

See her in it and to watch a PJ movie

http://www.facebook.com/hobbitnz

TheGoblinKing
Rohan

Feb 14 2011, 4:39pm

Post #3 of 22 (961 views)
Shortcut
I Think She Will Be. [In reply to] Can't Post

Its been a too long rumor really and Hobbit people have denied no rumors that have come true. Usually studios say right away when someone is not in a film. This says she is in negotiations and she is waiting for Peter to tell her.

Welsh hero
Gondor

Feb 14 2011, 4:40pm

Post #4 of 22 (946 views)
Shortcut
Come on Peter [In reply to] Can't Post

Announce the rest of the cast lol

You're home ill, not like you have anything better to do lol

http://www.facebook.com/hobbitnz

Pipe Dream
Gondor

Feb 14 2011, 5:00pm

Post #5 of 22 (910 views)
Shortcut
But of course! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
So it's possible she's not in it then

Anything is possible.

Photobucket
<<<<There is a long road yet>>>>

Peter

Feb 14 2011, 5:40pm

Post #6 of 22 (879 views)
Shortcut
I hope not. [In reply to] Can't Post

First off i have absolutely nothing against her as an actor, and shes obviously both very talented and very beautiful. I know the hobbit doesnt have many female characters and that there isnt a lovestory but thats the way it was written, and while some things probably cant be done the same way in both a book and a movie i cant see that a lack of a lovestory in this case would make it less of a movie. While a lovestory can certainly be very beautiful and great in a movie, or a book for that matter, The Hobbit doesnt necessarily NEED one for it to be a good movie, and even less if theyre actually going out of their way to incorporate it. It smacks of Hollywood catering for an even wider audience.

mendil
Rivendell

Feb 14 2011, 6:02pm

Post #7 of 22 (850 views)
Shortcut
Anyone who hasn't signed yet must say something like that. [In reply to] Can't Post

Probably Hugo Weaving would say the same thing right now.

"... But of bliss and glad life there is little to be said, before it ends; as works fair and wonderful, while still they endure for eyes to see, are their own record, and only when they are in peril or broken for ever do they pass into song."

Maiarmike
Grey Havens

Feb 14 2011, 6:30pm

Post #8 of 22 (802 views)
Shortcut
Probably [In reply to] Can't Post

I just wish if she were in it, they'd announce it now, so we can all worry about how big of a flub its going to be in the story, or whether it will work splendidly (very possible). WB needs to throw us a bone soon though, I'm surprised how little of the full cast we've gotten confirmed so far. It's not like we're ringing our hands waiting for Itaril to be confirmed. I would have actually thought that if she were in it, they would have confirmed her earlier on, but hey...

Patty
Immortal

Feb 14 2011, 7:05pm

Post #9 of 22 (812 views)
Shortcut
This is one rumor... [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm fairly anxious to have put to rest.

Permanent address: Into the West

Must. Have. The Precious! Give us the LotR EE Blu-ray Ultimate Box Set!

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Feb 14 2011, 7:09pm

Post #10 of 22 (784 views)
Shortcut
I feel fairly certain she will be cast in the Hobbit. [In reply to] Can't Post

What her role will be....

Kangi Ska Resident Trickster & Wicked White Crebain
Life is an adventure, not a contest.

At night you can not tell if crows are black or white.
Photobucket

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Feb 14 2011, 7:35pm

Post #11 of 22 (727 views)
Shortcut
Exactly [In reply to] Can't Post

Mendil wrote: "Anyone who hasn't signed yet must say something like that. Probably Hugo Weaving would say the same thing right now."

While I can think of at least one exception to that rule of thumb (Ian McKellen), I am sure that mendil has it right. The leak of Ms. Ronan's participation in The Hobbit does not constitute an official announcement; she is probably not to discuss the topic until such an annoucement is given.

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Feb 14 2011, 8:02pm

Post #12 of 22 (756 views)
Shortcut
silvan elf? [In reply to] Can't Post

I hope so, she looks exactly like what I'd expect to find in Mirkwood... elvish but down to earth.

She's what I wanted to be when I grew up....

Go outside and play...

Plurmo
Rohan

Feb 14 2011, 9:02pm

Post #13 of 22 (715 views)
Shortcut
I doubt. [In reply to] Can't Post

Welcome, Peter.Smile

I doubt the filmmakers would include Itaril as just another love story. To me her presence indicates their intention to explore elvish themes to a further extent. Finrod demonstrates that the name Itaril has too much weight to be used lightly. I believe this character will have a small but impacting role, a Haldir with a bit more screen time. Besides I think that PJ needs the emotional feedback from a few of his actors. The presence of Elijah Wood on the set will be a door for Peter to his former state of mind at the time of LOTR and the presence of Saoirse some guidance about the nature of the wood elves. PJ is a director who can validate his main choices through the performance of a few of his actors, but Freeman itself doesn't seem to be suited for emotional feedback.

Maiarmike
Grey Havens

Feb 14 2011, 9:15pm

Post #14 of 22 (726 views)
Shortcut
Hopefully you're right... [In reply to] Can't Post

but I'm struggling with being comfortable with PJ's pacing and characterization, especially after The Lovely Bones, which was horridly paced with no payoff. I'm sure he'll snap back into LotR mode though with The Hobbit.

Faenoriel
Tol Eressea

Feb 15 2011, 4:57am

Post #15 of 22 (662 views)
Shortcut
Itaril doesn't need to be huge thing to leave her mark on the movie [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd expect something like the little Rohan family subplot of TTT, or as has been said, like Haldir. None of those things were in the book TTT, but I wouldn't call them bad choices. They helped the audience to relate the suffering of the people during war time.

Lady Rose

Feb 15 2011, 6:01am

Post #16 of 22 (645 views)
Shortcut
Knew there was going to be a girl [In reply to] Can't Post

I know it's just a rumour right now, but I honestly won't be terribly surprised if she ends up being in it. Love story or not... films with pretty much nil in the way of female characters don't reach a wide enough audience. Just as long as she stays a nice subplot and doesn't turn into some arrow flinging super elf who decides to run along with the dwarves and help out or something. :P

(This post was edited by Lady Rose on Feb 15 2011, 6:01am)

dormouse
Half-elven

Feb 15 2011, 8:07am

Post #17 of 22 (629 views)
Shortcut
I'm placing bets on Primula.... [In reply to] Can't Post

... just to be awkward!

LoremIpsum
Lorien

Feb 15 2011, 6:25pm

Post #18 of 22 (584 views)
Shortcut
Well, I'm not worried [In reply to] Can't Post

The Lovely Bones might just be my favourite PJ movie besides FOTR so I'm very happy about Ronan potentially being in the Hobbit and I'm not worried at all about PJ's ability to deliver a bold and fascinating movie.

Lady Rose

Feb 19 2011, 11:49pm

Post #19 of 22 (468 views)
Shortcut
Good Idea! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
... just to be awkward!

Luindae
The Shire

Feb 20 2011, 2:28am

Post #20 of 22 (455 views)
Shortcut
Hope your right [In reply to] Can't Post

I have not read the Hobbit, so I don't have a problem with the 'Itaril' idea. However, I would prefer that she doesn't show up at the battle finale to fling herself in front of Legolas (or any elf lord) to save him from an arrow, or some other unrequited love tragedy scenario. Let Itaril be used to, as you say, "explore elvish themes to a further extent."

Plurmo
Rohan

Feb 20 2011, 8:02pm

Post #21 of 22 (446 views)
Shortcut
Welcome to TORn, Luindae! [In reply to] Can't Post

I expect her tale to be one of separation, more like lost Nimrodel or wounded Celebran. In any case a tale made to give a bit more insight into Arwen x Aragorn x Elrond. I expect her lover to be Glorfindel. Probably I'm wrong, but hope springs eternal that Glorfindel will do something in movie Middle-earth to justify his absence in LOTR.

I also have the secret hope that Itaril will be an observer at the Battle of Azanulbizar (we expect it to be shown in what we call the Dungeon Prologue) and be the only elf in Thranduil's realm who knows who are Thorin and Balin.

Luindae
The Shire

Feb 25 2011, 4:13pm

Post #22 of 22 (501 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for the welcome [In reply to] Can't Post

Isn't Glorfindel the elf hero who walks between two worlds? I could see where an elf maiden would be fascinated by him. I remember someone told me that the elf standing next to Elrond at Aragorn's coronation (in the last film) was meant to represent Glorfindel, so maybe.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.