Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Further Hobbit Filming Location Discussion from NZ Herald
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

News from Bree
spymaster@theonering.net

Feb 12 2011, 12:06pm

Post #1 of 28 (1869 views)
Shortcut
Further Hobbit Filming Location Discussion from NZ Herald Can't Post

The NZ Herald has two stories (one featured below) on the real life locations that are expected to play a role in filming of 'The Hobbit' films. This latest article reveals that a popular destination, Aratiatia Rapids, will be closed for four days during the peak tourist season for filming. The story further discusses other rumored and confirmed filming locations. We'd love to get your feedback on the choice of filming locations and what scene you think would fit with each. Sound off in our forums, comments or on Facebook! [Read More]

DamienEngland
Rivendell

Feb 12 2011, 5:39pm

Post #2 of 28 (609 views)
Shortcut
hmmm [In reply to] Can't Post

HAS to be for the dwarves escaping in barrells sequence, surely?

debo
Rohan

Feb 12 2011, 6:51pm

Post #3 of 28 (534 views)
Shortcut
Thats exactly what I thought!! [In reply to] Can't Post

I've been there- its a fantastic location- lots of swirling white water. It will look fantastic!!

Frodo; "What I chiefly need now is courage . . ."

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Feb 12 2011, 6:56pm

Post #4 of 28 (576 views)
Shortcut
The Anduin near Carrock in Beorn country. [In reply to] Can't Post

Way too rough for barrel rafting.

Kangi Ska Resident Trickster & Wicked White Crebain
Life is an adventure, not a contest.

At night you can not tell if crows are black or white.
Photobucket
Smaug Small

debo
Rohan

Feb 12 2011, 7:03pm

Post #5 of 28 (533 views)
Shortcut
Yes [In reply to] Can't Post

I was thinking how on earth you could get even stunties in the water for the barrel sequence!!

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Feb 12 2011, 7:21pm

Post #6 of 28 (546 views)
Shortcut
While "Mt Taranaki could be the Lonely Mountain", [In reply to] Can't Post

neither the local council nor the region's film venture body has been approached by PJ's production company about film access.

I think The Lonely Mountain will be CGI.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

debo
Rohan

Feb 12 2011, 7:28pm

Post #7 of 28 (546 views)
Shortcut
Yes they can't show real mountains anyway [In reply to] Can't Post

on film because the Maori Iwi object. Anyway CGI is sooooo much better:)

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Feb 12 2011, 7:39pm

Post #8 of 28 (515 views)
Shortcut
Depends on the tribe. [In reply to] Can't Post

There have been plenty of photos and film of Mt Taranaki over the years so I can't see it being a problem for The Hobbit, if it came to it.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

debo
Rohan

Feb 12 2011, 8:03pm

Post #9 of 28 (484 views)
Shortcut
Yes you're right [In reply to] Can't Post

It was in The Last Samurai too wasn't it??

duats
Grey Havens

Feb 12 2011, 8:51pm

Post #10 of 28 (542 views)
Shortcut
Am I the only one concerned with this? [In reply to] Can't Post

Unlike the Lord of the Rings trilogy, much of The Hobbit will be filmed at Wellington's Stone Street Studio

duats
Grey Havens

Feb 12 2011, 8:54pm

Post #11 of 28 (479 views)
Shortcut
Eh... [In reply to] Can't Post

I hope not.

Bound
Rohan

Feb 12 2011, 9:37pm

Post #12 of 28 (450 views)
Shortcut
They shot at Mt. Taranaki [In reply to] Can't Post

According to Wikipedia:

Filming took place in New Zealand, with Japanese cast members and an American Production crew. Views of Mount Fuji were superimposed using CGI of Mount Fuji as seen from Yokohama

That being said, having been at Mt.Taranaki - I think it could be used as a great starting point for the lonley mountain.

the man in black fled across the desert and the gunslinger followed

Alientraveller
Lorien

Feb 12 2011, 9:38pm

Post #13 of 28 (474 views)
Shortcut
You mean a virtual background made of photographs like the Pelennor fields? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
neither the local council nor the region's film venture body has been approached by PJ's production company about film access.

I think The Lonely Mountain will be CGI.

I'd hate for a totally CG background.

Maiarmike
Grey Havens

Feb 12 2011, 9:43pm

Post #14 of 28 (418 views)
Shortcut
Indeed [In reply to] Can't Post

They're going to get creative most likely. I believe on Avatar, Cameron had a designer go to China to take reference shots of the Guilin range, in order to create a basis for the Hallelujah Mountains in the film. Or they'll simply just film at Mt. Taranaki barring any prohibitive action from local governments, who most likely want the extra tourism from the films.

LoremIpsum
Lorien

Feb 12 2011, 9:47pm

Post #15 of 28 (451 views)
Shortcut
Not surprised [In reply to] Can't Post

Remeber that article about Del Toro and his ideas for the Hobbit, he wanted to use a lot of CGI backgrounds and artificial trees to give the movie a painterly feel, that's probably why there is going to be less location shooting... and maybe PJ wanted a more realistic natural approach and started looking for locations (that's why I think the scouting for filming locations is so late)

Maiarmike
Grey Havens

Feb 12 2011, 9:51pm

Post #16 of 28 (454 views)
Shortcut
I didn't think about that [In reply to] Can't Post

That's entirely believable, and very possible. I think a lot of those scenes in natural locations might get shuffled off to later in the year near the end of the shoot, because of that.

OiotŠri
Tol Eressea

Feb 12 2011, 10:22pm

Post #17 of 28 (397 views)
Shortcut
That popped out at me too [In reply to] Can't Post

but I'm not sure what to make of it, as far as reliability goes...

..The land of long-forgotten name:
......no man may ever anchor near;
..No steering star his hope may aim,
......for nether Night its marches drear,
..And waters wide no sail may tame,
......with shores encircled dark and sheer.

..O! Haven where my heart would be!
......the waves beat upon thy bar
..For ever echo endlessly,
......when longing leads thy thought afar

duats
Grey Havens

Feb 12 2011, 10:29pm

Post #18 of 28 (426 views)
Shortcut
I just don't want the Fangorn effect [In reply to] Can't Post

Despite being beautifully designed and built, Fangorn Forest looked like a movie set, and not a real forest.

I don't want The Hobbit to suffer from that same closed-off and artificial feel.

(This post was edited by duats on Feb 12 2011, 10:32pm)

Carne
Tol Eressea

Feb 12 2011, 10:30pm

Post #19 of 28 (430 views)
Shortcut
Stunties, barrels and river [In reply to] Can't Post

They wouldn't need any stuntmen to be shown though. Just throw in a couple of barrels and a mix of CGI. Or just strap the stunties to some zipwire thus giving them a controlled route down the river.

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 12 2011, 10:30pm

Post #20 of 28 (431 views)
Shortcut
Well, interior locations would include.... [In reply to] Can't Post

Bag End interior, trolls cave (discovery of Glamdring and Orcrist), Rivendell, the Goblin's cave and Gollum's cave, Beorn's house (possibly some Eagles' aerie as well), Thranduil's halls, Laketown interiors, and Lonely Mountain/Smaug's lair interiors. All those would have been studio shot anyway. Overall, I suppose The Hobbit might well have more time spent "indoors" than LOTR anyway, since the Hobbit journey is a bit more direct and then the dwarves hole up in their mountain for a good space of time at the end of the story.

But it is possible that PJ is now adding more location shooting than originally planned. I'm all for that, as I loved the feel that location shooting gave to LOTR.

Silverlode

"Of all faces those of our familiares are the ones both most difficult to play fantastic tricks with, and most difficult really to see with fresh attention. They have become like the things which once attracted us by their glitter, or their colour, or their shape, and we laid hands on them, and then locked them in our hoard, acquired them, and acquiring ceased to look at them.
Creative fantasy, because it is mainly trying to do something else [make something new], may open your hoard and let all the locked things fly away like cage-birds. The gems all turn into flowers or flames, and you will be warned that all you had (or knew) was dangerous and potent, not really effectively chained, free and wild; no more yours than they were you."
-On Fairy Stories

dormouse
Half-elven

Feb 12 2011, 10:50pm

Post #21 of 28 (409 views)
Shortcut
No, you're not the only one.... [In reply to] Can't Post

I just hope it's not true. The scenery of New Zealand is one of the stars of the LotR films for me. I'd hate to think they'd throw that advantage away, especially after campaigning so hard to keep the film in NZ.

Just think of Edoras.... There's no way they could have achieved anything like that in a studio.

(This post was edited by dormouse on Feb 12 2011, 10:52pm)

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Feb 12 2011, 11:01pm

Post #22 of 28 (479 views)
Shortcut
According to Richard Armitage -- [In reply to] Can't Post

from duats video in the Dominion thread -- use of CGI and real locations would be split about 50/50. (Or was it Freeman that said that?) Regardless, many location shoots were "enhanced" using matte painting and CGI in LOTR.

(This post was edited by SirDennisC on Feb 12 2011, 11:08pm)

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Feb 12 2011, 11:08pm

Post #23 of 28 (391 views)
Shortcut
Perhaps [In reply to] Can't Post

If people were inspired to visit the wind swept rock where Edoras was built, how much more would they wish to visit The Lonely Mountain, if possible. Good point.

titanium_hobbit
Rohan

Feb 13 2011, 3:02am

Post #24 of 28 (363 views)
Shortcut
Carrock. [In reply to] Can't Post

Because Gandalf had to walk ages to find a place to cross so he could follow Beorn's tracks.

Hobbit firster, Book firster.

duats
Grey Havens

Feb 13 2011, 7:32am

Post #25 of 28 (327 views)
Shortcut
About Mt. Taranaki [In reply to] Can't Post

That article gave me the impression that they have scouted Mt. Taranaki.

Without the option of using the central North Island mountains, the moviemakers could instead fall back on Mt Taranaki and the Southern Alps. Location scouts have visited Taranaki, and Jackson is said to have flown into Queenstown recently to inspect the mountain-ringed Lake Wanaka.

Perhaps PJ hasn't settled on a mountain yet, which is why the local council and region's film venture body haven't been approached by the production company.

I wouldn't rule Taranaki out just yet.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.