Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Hobbit Casting Director Spills Beans About Saoirse Ronan?
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next page Last page  View All

News from Bree
spymaster@theonering.net

Jan 27 2011, 2:57pm

Post #1 of 135 (4621 views)
Shortcut
Hobbit Casting Director Spills Beans About Saoirse Ronan? Can't Post

Merie sends this in: From iftn.ie - "Ros Hubbard is a world renowned casting director having worked on hugely successful films such as ‘The Commitments’, ‘The Lord of the Rings’ trilogy and ‘Father Ted’ with her family. IFTN caught up with the Irish talent spotter to talk about casting hobbits and dwarves for Peter Jackson, her trouble finding thin Irish children and ‘Father Ted’ bringing out her catholic guilt!" She basically confirmed that Saoirse Ronan has a part in "The Hobbit". More..

(This post was edited by Altaira on Jan 27 2011, 8:06pm)

LoremIpsum
Lorien

Jan 27 2011, 8:08pm

Post #2 of 135 (2396 views)
Shortcut
woohoo if true [In reply to] Can't Post

she is like a young Cate Blanchett and I can't wait to see her in the HOBBIT

ryan3650

Jan 27 2011, 8:16pm

Post #3 of 135 (2423 views)
Shortcut
She's perfect... [In reply to] Can't Post

Moahunter
Rohan

Jan 27 2011, 8:20pm

Post #4 of 135 (2351 views)
Shortcut
Spills beans???? [In reply to] Can't Post

How many beans make five?
There's b.....all in this story .
I hope the amount of info. reflects the screentime devoted to this totally spurious and irrelevant character.

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Jan 27 2011, 9:14pm

Post #5 of 135 (2296 views)
Shortcut
I am sure that an actress of her caliber [In reply to] Can't Post

will contribute something awesome to the film, even if it is only a supporting part. I really do not care if the role is not in the book as long as it works in the movie.

Kangi Ska Resident Trickster & Wicked White Crebain
Life is an adventure, not a contest.

At night you can not tell if crows are black or white.

Photobucket

Smaug Small

Elladan
Rivendell

Jan 27 2011, 9:22pm

Post #6 of 135 (2270 views)
Shortcut
I agree Kangi [In reply to] Can't Post

But I still cant see what role they could have possibly found for her. Teenagers dont seem to fit very well into middle earth.

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Jan 27 2011, 9:29pm

Post #7 of 135 (2336 views)
Shortcut
Hav you seen her dressed up lately? [In reply to] Can't Post

She will fit. A beautiful woman...and the best young actress since Natalie Portman.

Photobucket

Smaug Small

Flagg
Tol Eressea

Jan 27 2011, 9:35pm

Post #8 of 135 (2171 views)
Shortcut
Ros Hubbard worked on Father Ted? [In reply to] Can't Post

Then I trust her. Father Ted is perhaps the best thing ever to come out of Ireland. I am heavily biased in favour of anyone that had any involvement in the series whatsoever.

dave_lf
Gondor

Jan 27 2011, 10:01pm

Post #9 of 135 (2211 views)
Shortcut
Casting is done? [In reply to] Can't Post

More interesting to me is that he says casting is done and pretty much everyone is in NZ.

Elentari03
Rivendell

Jan 27 2011, 10:16pm

Post #10 of 135 (2191 views)
Shortcut
That was my thought. [In reply to] Can't Post

Does she mean casting for Irish actors is done, or casting for all parts is done? If all parts are done, when can we expect an announcement? And who will it include? Personally, I hope to hear about Hugo Weaving/Elrond, the Elvenking, and Bard pretty soon. And by hope to hear about Elrond, I expect to hear that Weaving is back.

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Jan 27 2011, 10:44pm

Post #11 of 135 (2081 views)
Shortcut
DRINK! [In reply to] Can't Post

I miss Jack Hackett...and Mrs. Doyle!

Anyhoo, here we go with fall-out over the casting of the "Elf-Wench"! Angelic

Samuel L. Jackson for Bilbo, Woody Allen for Thorin, Lewis Black for Bard and Gilbert Gottfried for Smaug!

MAKE IT HAPPEN, PETER!!!

dormouse
Half-elven

Jan 27 2011, 10:45pm

Post #12 of 135 (2156 views)
Shortcut
She'll probably turn out to be Primula.... [In reply to] Can't Post

... just because it's not what everyone's expecting!

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Jan 27 2011, 10:48pm

Post #13 of 135 (2126 views)
Shortcut
She does not strike me as being particularly Hobbit like [In reply to] Can't Post

but then the guy they picked to play Thorin is not a Dwarf.

Photobucket

Smaug Small

dormouse
Half-elven

Jan 27 2011, 10:49pm

Post #14 of 135 (2142 views)
Shortcut
It's amazing what you can achieve.... [In reply to] Can't Post

.. with a big curly wig!!! Wink

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Jan 27 2011, 10:51pm

Post #15 of 135 (2137 views)
Shortcut
Thorin would look interesting with an Afro (as they were called back in the 70s)// [In reply to] Can't Post

Photobucket

Smaug Small

Brandybuckled
Lorien

Jan 27 2011, 11:10pm

Post #16 of 135 (2153 views)
Shortcut
I think she'll be Dain [In reply to] Can't Post

complete with a beard!

NAArP since 2011*

*Not An Ardent Purist

Ainu Laire
Tol Eressea

Jan 27 2011, 11:28pm

Post #17 of 135 (2131 views)
Shortcut
If she is, I just hope they don't use the name "Itaril" [In reply to] Can't Post

Bad, bad name! Not at all Sindarin. XD Please consult a Sindarin expert, guys!

She is a great actress though. Definitely see her going places.

My LiveJournal ~ My artwork and photography

NARF since age 8, when I refused to read the Hobbit because the cover looked boring and icky.

duats
Grey Havens

Jan 27 2011, 11:29pm

Post #18 of 135 (2082 views)
Shortcut
Sigh [In reply to] Can't Post

Bring on the unnecessary, forced-in elf love angle, I guess.

Unless PJ wised up, cut the character of Itaril, and Ronan was cast as Primula Baggins - which I could at least stomach.

(This post was edited by duats on Jan 27 2011, 11:30pm)

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Jan 27 2011, 11:42pm

Post #19 of 135 (2028 views)
Shortcut
They will change that. ..too much airplay.// [In reply to] Can't Post

Photobucket

Smaug Small

Finrod
Rohan

Jan 28 2011, 12:22am

Post #20 of 135 (2125 views)
Shortcut
It's Quenya, not Sindarin [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Bad, bad name! Not at all Sindarin. XD Please consult a Sindarin expert, guys!

She is a great actress though. Definitely see her going places.

Youre right: Itaril is not Sindarin, its Quenya! Idril is the words corresponding Sindarin form. Idril Celebrindals name in Quenya was Itarill, which means sparking brilliance.

I can certainly see a Wood-elf taking up the ancient name of the esteemed mother of the Great Intercessor whose plea brought an end to Thangorodrim.

And Ill bet anything shes a blonde. Idril was no raven-haired Sindar, nor some firey beauty of the Noldor. At more than half Vanyarin, her locks were of fairest gold.

Care to withdraw your protest about the unsuitability of the name?

…all eyes looked upon the ring; for he held it now aloft, and the green jewels gleamed there that the Noldor had devised in Valinor. For this ring was like to twin serpents, whose eyes were emeralds, and their heads met beneath a crown of golden flowers, that the one upheld and the other devoured; that was the badge of Finarfin and his house.
The Silmarillion, pp 150-151
while Felagund laughs beneath the trees
in Valinor and comes no more
to this grey world of tears and war.
The Lays of Beleriand, p 311

The Party Tree
Lorien

Jan 28 2011, 1:15am

Post #21 of 135 (1989 views)
Shortcut
I agree [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm not a big fan of adding original characters just for the sake of getting a gratuitous "female love-interest" in the movie.

With those blue eyes...I could see her as Frodo's mom, but she's a bit young. Depending on what Primula and Drogo are going to be doing in the story, that may or may not work.

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Jan 28 2011, 1:45am

Post #22 of 135 (1967 views)
Shortcut
Ha! Great linguistic tidbit Finrod [In reply to] Can't Post

We'll have to wait until the DVD special features come out to see if that's where they got the name. I'll be gobsmacked if it is. WinkLaugh

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

TORn Calendar

squire
Half-elven

Jan 28 2011, 1:58am

Post #23 of 135 (2057 views)
Shortcut
Why would a Wood-elf have a Quenya name? [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for that linguistic update! I had no idea "Itaril" was Quenya.

If I remember, the King of the Wood-elves (Thingol) in the Silmarillion put a ban on Quenya once he heard about how Quenya-speakers had slaughtered fellow-elves to steal their ships and defy the gods to come to Middle-earth and stir up endless war with Morgoth over the stolen Silmarils. After that, if I understand the mainline history, Quenya ceased to be spoken except in private ceremonial situations among the "exiled" Noldor Elves. And the Wood-elves of Mirkwood are far removed from the remaining High Elves of the Third Age, who linger in the Western lands. Except for the Elf-King himself (aka Thranduil) and Galadriel, no Elf east of the Misty Mountains would speak Quenya or give their offspring a Quenya name.

So I suppose this means that "Itaril" is an High Elf-lass warrior from Rivendell, where Quenya is still spoken by some, whom Elrond assigns to guide the Dwarves across Wilderland to their goal?

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Footeramas: The 3rd (and NOW the 4th too!) TORn Reading Room LotR Discussion; and "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
squiretalk introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

duats
Grey Havens

Jan 28 2011, 2:54am

Post #24 of 135 (1955 views)
Shortcut
Please.. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
So I suppose this means that "Itaril" is an High Elf-lass warrior from Rivendell, where Quenya is still spoken by some, whom Elrond assigns to guide the Dwarves across Wilderland to their goal?

Don't give them ideas Unsure.

Tseluyu

Jan 28 2011, 4:09am

Post #25 of 135 (1930 views)
Shortcut
Agreed as well [In reply to] Can't Post

Admittedly, the thought of a made-up elf-maiden didn't sit well with me at first, as she had begun to sound more and more like a typical LOTR Mary-Sue... But thinking about it now, I guess it's sort of necessary to add in a few more elves. After all, "The Hobbit" didn't have too many named elven characters. I just really hope they take out the unnecessary romance, if they still intend on including it.

Also hoping that the movies doesn't start to focus too much on this "Itaril" character, though given the lengths of these films, it looks like they just might...
I'd be satisfied if her role was similar to that of Haldir's in the FoTR, who wasn't given too much screentime, but enough to be memorable. Hell, anyone remember Figwit? He appeared for less than a minute but ended up becoming a "one-scene wonder."

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.