Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of the Rings:
update on Complete Recordings of ROTK , et. al.

Magpie
Immortal

Jul 3 2007, 12:21am

Post #1 of 9 (667 views)
Shortcut
update on Complete Recordings of ROTK , et. al. Can't Post

Doug has just posted an update on moviemusic.com. News from him might cover the CR-ROTK, his upcoming book with multimedia content, and a post CR-ROTK release of rare and unused music from the movie.

Highlights from his post (direct quotes):

• the plan still calls for both Arwenís Song and Sisselís song to be included on this set. As for placement and / or editing, Iím afraid I still have no comment only because the decision hasnít yet been made.
  • I just got back from NY yesterday afternoon from a genuinely amazing trip to Shoreís offices. He and I took a good four to five hours and ran through the entire current edit for ROTK in the listening room. It is shaping up amazingly. Thereís still one last bit of unused music waiting to be tracked down, but decisions are now being made about specific track breakdowns, etc. Itís really close now, and itís ridiculously affecting and beautiful.
  • The rest of my time was dedicated to sorting through the unused music archives. This is a genuinely massive task. There are thousands of CDs worth of materialÖ and about 3 months worth of continuous audio. Everything recorded was saved for all three films.
  • there are alternate versions of nearly everything! Now some of these alternates have nothing more than one crescendo changed, which is interesting as a curiosity, but not really worthy of disc space. But there are some revelatory differences in the alternates as well; radically different approaches to mood, orchestration and thematic structure. In some cases there are entirely different compositions that matched different edits of the films.
  • There is SO much material that Iím just trying to figure out how best to present it. This past weekend I felt like I heard LOTR 4Ö or maybe 4 and 5. Iím quite certain you will all feel the same elationÖ
  • I just wanted to share my glee from this past weekend. Despite the fact that I canít go into details, some of these discoveries made my heart pound.

A Magpie's Nest Soundtrack Site has been updated with new lyric information for TTT.

(This post was edited by Magpie on Jul 3 2007, 12:22am)

weaver
Half-elven

Jul 3 2007, 1:56am

Post #2 of 9 (272 views)
Shortcut
this sounds grand... [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for posting these tidbits and keeping us updated on the soundtrackes in general...

LOTR 4 or 5?? Yep, I could go for that. I forget that it wasn't only visuals that were left on the cutting room floor, but lots of beautiful music, too.

Do you think they'll really do a disc with music that wasn't used? I 'd love to hear what Howard Shore came up with for the wedding scene that was filmed between Eowyn and Faramir...among many other things!

Weaver

Magpie
Immortal

Jul 3 2007, 2:14am

Post #3 of 9 (275 views)
Shortcut
unused music [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Do you think they'll really do a disc with music that wasn't used?

From what I can tell, the chances are very good that will happen.

A Magpie's Nest Soundtrack Site has been updated with new lyric information for TTT.

weaver
Half-elven

Jul 3 2007, 2:54am

Post #4 of 9 (261 views)
Shortcut
ah, that makes my day! Thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

I listen to the combined two complete soundtracks pretty regularly and as anxious as I am to add the ROTK one to my collection, it was making me sad to think that that was going to be "the end of all things" -- good to know that something else is on the horizon! There is no such thing as too much of Howard Shore's music for these films...

Weaver

Patty
Immortal

Jul 3 2007, 5:20pm

Post #5 of 9 (252 views)
Shortcut
Yeah! I'm hoping that... [In reply to] Can't Post

we'll get to see this scene some day, and the music edited in would be priceless.

Until then, I'll be glad to have just the music at whatever point we get it. Thanks, Magpie.

Riding with the Rohirrim!

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Jul 3 2007, 7:11pm

Post #6 of 9 (251 views)
Shortcut
All right! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm anticipating the RotK music as avidly as I anticipated the first two sets. But putting out CDs of the unused music? Great glory and splendor!

Thanks, Magpie.

Loresilme
Valinor

Jul 4 2007, 4:52pm

Post #7 of 9 (240 views)
Shortcut
Wonderful [In reply to] Can't Post

Oh, I can't wait. I've been listening to my plain old vanilla CD's of the films til they're about worn out. The ones that just have the basic music. There are just so many different version of the films, music, books, everything ... I've been restraining myself from buying additional LOTR 'stuff', trying to stay within a budget!

But this is amazing. I think it's soon going to be time to 'upgrade' to the complete recordings.

Thanks so much for the update, Magpie!

Lossefalme
Gondor

Jul 5 2007, 5:01pm

Post #8 of 9 (235 views)
Shortcut
Thank you, thank you, thank you! [In reply to] Can't Post

If I smile any more, my face will hurt! What a wonderful update. I can't tell you how much I have been anticipating this CD; more than any other. It must be really incredible if Doug is about to burst with excitement. He's gotten me excited, that's for sure! Thank you so much for posting this, Magpie. You made my day!

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Join us every Thursday in the Movie Discussion Forum for GOLD Nuggets, an exploration of the Geeky Observation Lists maintained by our very own grammaboodawg.

elentari3018
Rohan

Jul 14 2007, 2:57pm

Post #9 of 9 (223 views)
Shortcut
Thanks so much for this post! [In reply to] Can't Post

I think i will cross-post this since i'm so psyched for the latest update. Thanks sooooo much for this news-- any news anticipating RotK Complete Recordings is precioussssssssssssss.
But there's no news of when exactly it's coming out right?

"By Elbereth and Luthien the fair, you shall have neither the Ring nor me!" ~Frodo

"And then Gandalf arose and bid all men rise, and they rose, and he said: 'Here is a last hail ere the feast endeth. Last but not least. For I name now those who shall not be forgotten and without whose valour nought else that was done would have availed; and I name before you all Frodo of the Shire and Samwise his servant. And the bards and the minstrels should give them new names: Bronwe athan Harthad and Harthad Uluithiad , Endurance beyond Hope and Hope Unquenchable.." ~Gandalf, The End of the Third Age , from The History of Middle Earth series

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.