Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Are you short or tall enough for 'The Hobbit'?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

News from Bree
spymaster@theonering.net

Nov 18 2010, 5:14am

Post #1 of 38 (1389 views)
Shortcut
Are you short or tall enough for 'The Hobbit'? Can't Post

Fans in the Auckland area will be delighted to find that the shortest and tallest among them are wanted for work on "The Hobbit," films according to the link sent in by spy Moahunter. Of course the candidates must be New Zealanders or have a work permit and fit all the requirements but if you are very tall or quite short, you should check out this job listing.

PotbellyHairyfoot

Nov 18 2010, 2:34pm

Post #2 of 38 (790 views)
Shortcut
Casting Call? [In reply to] Can't Post

Why would they post a casting call in the rough NZ equivalent of Kijiji or Craigslist? Looks like nonsense to me

PotbellyHairyfoot

Nov 18 2010, 2:52pm

Post #3 of 38 (805 views)
Shortcut
Casting Call- It's not even April !st yet [In reply to] Can't Post

I was right- like the other ads, this one was just withdrawn by the administrator.
All you have to do to run an ad on that board is register, and then you can make up any ad you want.

PotbellyHairyfoot

Nov 18 2010, 3:07pm

Post #4 of 38 (802 views)
Shortcut
Nonsense casting call [In reply to] Can't Post

Good luck finding building 202 at Unitec
http://www.unitec.ac.nz/?7A987896-EA22-419A-B4EF-13763BDE7066
http://www.unitec.ac.nz/maps/map.cfm

macfalk
Valinor

Nov 18 2010, 4:18pm

Post #5 of 38 (753 views)
Shortcut
Elaborate please // [In reply to] Can't Post

The greatest adventure is what lies ahead.

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Nov 18 2010, 5:54pm

Post #6 of 38 (745 views)
Shortcut
TradeMe [In reply to] Can't Post

is one of the busiest websites in New Zealand, and as you can see it has a dedicated 'jobs' section.

I don't know if this item is legitimate or not but it's par for the course for jobs to be listed on TradeMe.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

dave_lf
Gondor

Nov 18 2010, 5:58pm

Post #7 of 38 (741 views)
Shortcut
They're not looking for tall women [In reply to] Can't Post

so I suppose that means Itaril doesn't go to Hobbiton. Wink

shadowdog
Rohan

Nov 18 2010, 6:57pm

Post #8 of 38 (734 views)
Shortcut
OK I'm confused [In reply to] Can't Post

Why would anybody post a fake want ad???? What do they get out of it????Tongue

TheGoblinKing
Rohan

Nov 18 2010, 6:58pm

Post #9 of 38 (725 views)
Shortcut
No Not A Hobbit [In reply to] Can't Post

But maybe a a fatish Bombour type Dwarf. At 5/8 would be the biggest Dwarf ever

Rivendell

Nov 18 2010, 8:18pm

Post #10 of 38 (701 views)
Shortcut
Time to bust out my 6" platform shoes.// [In reply to] Can't Post

"I Told you I was Freaky"

"I can see through Metal boys, and that's no lie."

K (I was going to carve an E, but it was too many letters.)

Moahunter
Rohan

Nov 18 2010, 8:29pm

Post #11 of 38 (717 views)
Shortcut
The other 3 calls for the Matamata filming in Feb. 2011 [In reply to] Can't Post

were also on trademe earlier this week.
And the Auckland "Short & Tall" ad. is still there.

(This post was edited by Ataahua on Nov 18 2010, 8:30pm)

PotbellyHairyfoot

Nov 18 2010, 9:16pm

Post #12 of 38 (717 views)
Shortcut
I think the ad was just someone pulling a prank. [In reply to] Can't Post

1)The Ad was posted by 'The Hobbit" rather than a studio or film company.
2) The Building listed in the ad, Building 202, doesn't exist according to the Unitec Map. Do studios hold casting calls at colleges?
3 )I question the ad running on Trade-me' rather than in a newspaper or through an employment center
If it wasn't so far away I'd call Unitec and ask them at the college

BTW I was wrong about the ad being withdrawn. I mistakenly clicked the link to one of the earlier ads

Idril Celebrindal
Tol Eressea

Nov 18 2010, 10:09pm

Post #13 of 38 (670 views)
Shortcut
Rats! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm tall as it is. I had my skyscraper-high platform heels all picked out and was lining up a hairdresser for a nice, big, Texas-style bouffant hairdo. The combo would have easily gotten me another foot of height, enough to make the casting call if I were a man. But nooooooo.....!

What's a girl gotta do to get into this movie? Pirate

With caffeine, all things are possible.

The pity of Bilbo will screw up the fate of many.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Patty
Immortal

Nov 18 2010, 10:33pm

Post #14 of 38 (680 views)
Shortcut
Yours is one of the best nicks around, PotbellyHairyfoot! / [In reply to] Can't Post

Permanent address: Into the West

Must. Have. The Precious! Give us the LotR EE Blu-ray Ultimate Box Set!

Moahunter
Rohan

Nov 19 2010, 2:21am

Post #15 of 38 (669 views)
Shortcut
Why are you so sceptical? [In reply to] Can't Post

The first call for "Short & Tall" was held at a Drama College here in Wellington.
I can't explain the mystery of Building 202, could be a typo.

AranNZ
The Shire

Nov 19 2010, 4:28am

Post #16 of 38 (666 views)
Shortcut
Building 202 does exist [In reply to] Can't Post

Go to this website: http://www.unitec.ac.nz/...9A-B4EF-13763BDE7066
Enter "1" in the building number search box and a map will appear with building 1 indicated with a red arrow. Building 202 is next to building 1 (and also next to buildings 203, 204, 205 etc.).

As Ataahua mentioned TradeMe is a very legitimate place for job ads now. It is the local equivalent of Ebay (as opposed to Craigslist) and has separate job and realestate websites that are very popular.

With all that said I have no idea if the ad is legitimate or not, but it seems like a pretty bizarre prank to pull if it is not legit.

PotbellyHairyfoot

Nov 19 2010, 12:26pm

Post #17 of 38 (648 views)
Shortcut
Okay the building does exist [In reply to] Can't Post

"At present, there is no information for building 202." doesn't mean that it doesn't exist. I was wrong about that
We'll find out tomorrow if the ad was legit.
BTW I came up with the nickname back in the days of the old Decipher LOTR Fan Club, and use it on a couple of forums.

RobNZ
Bree

Nov 19 2010, 2:37pm

Post #18 of 38 (628 views)
Shortcut
Legit [In reply to] Can't Post

In my opinion I believe all 4 casting calls were legitimate. The initial 3 were listed for about 2 days. That was enough time for any interested parties to glean the details. Once the information was printed in the newspapers and featured internationally they probably saw no reason to retain them on trademe.
Trademe is like NZ's equivalent of Ebay, its NZ'ers most visited website, not just for auctions, but jobs, in addition to being an online community. They can acheive far more exposure on Trademe than if they had an advert printed in any singular city newspaper.
I believe they acheived the desired exposure and asked trademe to remove those three out of four listings. They probably only wanted to alert Matamata/Hamilton and Waikato locals.
In all likelihood they are probably still lacking in their short and tall files which is why the fourth listing for Auckland still remains.
Either way I will be proved right or wrong on the 23rd and 24th when the Matamata/Hamilton and Waikato auditions are scheduled to take place.

(This post was edited by RobNZ on Nov 19 2010, 2:40pm)

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 19 2010, 2:46pm

Post #19 of 38 (585 views)
Shortcut
By the way... [In reply to] Can't Post

... I see that you're in NZ. Are you going to attend one of these? Smile

RobNZ
Bree

Nov 19 2010, 3:02pm

Post #20 of 38 (593 views)
Shortcut
Sure [In reply to] Can't Post

Definitely one of them, thats for sure. I am a media major at University here in Wellington, so it would be great practical experience in the industry I have been studying and working towards for two years. I have even put my University studies on hold throughout 2011 just on the off chance of being involved, so that I will be available at any time. I am 5ft 11 so not suitable for the four currently, but count me in for any Wellington ones!
Im not holding my breath, but you have got to give it a shot, havent you.

(This post was edited by RobNZ on Nov 19 2010, 3:04pm)

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 19 2010, 3:05pm

Post #21 of 38 (624 views)
Shortcut
5'11'' [In reply to] Can't Post

Wasn't there a requirement for men of that height as well? I'm pretty sure I saw that in the "Tall and Short" casting call. I'll have to check to make sure though (what with disappearing casting calls and all Crazy).

ETA: No. I was wrong. The "tall" height requirement is 6'11". Yikes!

(This post was edited by Earl on Nov 19 2010, 3:08pm)

RobNZ
Bree

Nov 19 2010, 3:22pm

Post #22 of 38 (608 views)
Shortcut
I think [In reply to] Can't Post

I think it was (6ft 11 and taller) and (5ft 6 and smaller) for men from memory. I believe they are only for Auckland, Bay of Plenty and Waikato locals so far.
Ive got no pretentions that I will get anywhere. If anything I am happy to just to watch the films; but as its a good chance to get involved and gain experience in the industry I am working towards as well as a good opportunity for employment as an full time student without a paycheck (who has put studies on hold), It would be a great opportunity. Consciously I would be 100% focused on the task given to me, but subconsciously I would be testing my theoretical knowledge, wondering what techniques they would use etc... It would be a great personal learning experience, thats for sure. Its only a matter of time before I get involved in that industry at the end of my studies anyway.

(This post was edited by RobNZ on Nov 19 2010, 3:30pm)

RobNZ
Bree

Nov 19 2010, 3:40pm

Post #23 of 38 (600 views)
Shortcut
Really tall [In reply to] Can't Post

6 foot 11 is really tall. They must be a rarity in NZ for starters, and secondly they would have to be available and not occupied with something else throughout 2011. This casting call in Auckland is really just an extension of their Wellington short and tall casting session.
I can imagine its far more common to have shorter people turn up to these calls than taller people.

(This post was edited by RobNZ on Nov 19 2010, 3:41pm)

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Nov 19 2010, 5:13pm

Post #24 of 38 (920 views)
Shortcut
From the Home Page: Scan of Official Hobbit Casting Call - Tauranga [In reply to] Can't Post

Above is a scan of the official Hobbit extras casting call ad as it appeared in the Bay of Plenty Times. Thanks to the Tauranga Library!

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

TORn Calendar

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Nov 19 2010, 5:20pm

Post #25 of 38 (553 views)
Shortcut
Good luck, Rob [In reply to] Can't Post

I hope you get to do something. It sounds like it would be a really valuable experience for you!

'But very bright were the stars upon the margin of the world, when at times the clouds about the West were drawn aside.'

www.arda-reconstructed.com

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.