Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
TORn Exclusive: an interview with Stephen Hunter/Bombur

News from Bree
spymaster@theonering.net

Oct 31 2010, 10:43pm

Post #1 of 19 (2260 views)
Shortcut
TORn Exclusive: an interview with Stephen Hunter/Bombur Can't Post

He's a Tolkien fan with a talent for comedy - so what better Hobbit role could there be for Stephen Hunter than food-loving, clumsy and loveable Bombur? I recently had the good fortune of catching a few minutes of Stephen's time to ask him about his first reactions to being cast in a major role in the upcoming, two-film adaptation of "The Hobbit."

"The Hobbit is my first job in fantasy - in fact this is my first big-budget film," he says. "In most of the TV commercials I've done I've been the comedic relief. I'm only assuming that with Bombur there may be some comedy. Being cast in The Hobbit is really exciting and really an honour. I auditioned for the original Lord of the Rings way back when I signed with my agent in New Zealand. When I saw the films I thought, 'Man, I so want to do The Hobbit'. "I'm just going to throw everything I've got into it. If I don't come out the other end absolutely exhausted then I haven't done my job."

Stephen is a Kiwi who had a career in radio on both sides of the microphone before opting for acting, where he has worked in commercials and voice-overs and on New Zealand and Australian TV shows. He first read The Hobbit as a kid, then cracked open The Lord of the Rings in his late 20s - it took him a year to read it but he fell in love with Tolkien's world.

"I just love how real it is - it's got its own history. I did history in New Zealand as a kid - the Manchurian wars, the US social welfare system - but we should have done Tolkien! It would have been just as relevant because there are some great themes to his writings, drawn from his life experiences and his thoughts on war. It's amazing how he came up with his own world."

When Stephen steps into that world he will join 12 others who will be working under Dwarven facial prosthetics which, as John Rhys Davies (Gimli) can attest, can prove difficult.

"Obviously, working through prosthetics will be a challenge but looking at some of the other guys that are cast as well, they're looking for a bit of depth in the actors - they still want to be able to get as much out of us as possible. That's going to be interesting. For any role, even a Dwarf and especially a character role, the way that I approach it is to work out ways of personalising it so that on camera it looks real and not acted - trying to find the truthful performance."

"Personally I see Gimli as a really good term of reference, but I'll have to work out my own story and what I'm doing with Bombur and the challenges he has. I want to do my own thing. Bombur's not a small Dwarf - but I've never been a small man myself! - so there's the physical challenges that come with the role. I did ask, 'Does this mean I can start eating pies now?' I love a good pie! I'm about to go to the gym now actually, but you've got to have balance."

Stephen is particularly looking forward to working with such a large ensemble cast for a long period of time.

"I really like being part of a team; as a voice artist you're on your own a bit whereas I can see this is very collaborative. Watching the behind the scenes stuff from the Rings DVDs, the vibe was really good. That's what attracted me to really chase this role - I wanted to be part of that family. It's going to be pretty surreal, working with these incredibly talented and well known actors. It's going to be great, but daunting, stepping up there with people who are so accomplished in what they do. But, I'm really looking forward to doing what I love to do at a very high level."

Also joining Stephen on the journey to The Lonely Mountain are fellow Kiwis Mark Hadlow (Dori), Peter Hableton (Gloin) and John Callen (Oin). "I'm excited to get to work with them," says Stephen. "Mark Hadlow is incredible. I'm familiar with Peter Hambleton, and Kiwis would know John Callen's voice anywhere because he's the god of the voiceover world."

It's been nine years since The Fellowship of the Ring hit cinema screens around the world, kicking off a trilogy of films that earned billions of dollars, won several Oscars and Baftas (and numerous other awards), and turned actors such as Elijah Wood, Dominic Monaghan and Miranda Otto into household names.

Is Stephen ready for the immense attention that's coming his way?

"I guess I'm still living in the realm of being a voice artist and TV actor, and we're just about to have a family shortly - within a week - so there's a lot happening which is going to be a nice grounding experience to go with all the madness," he says. "Just stepping into that unknown, I'll just be me and try to be humble and really enjoy the experience. I'm really excited though - I've been like a kid at Christmas time, and that feeling will probably continue. It's going to be hard work but I'm totally up for it!"

ENDS.

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Nov 1 2010, 4:40am

Post #2 of 19 (1495 views)
Shortcut
Great interview, Ataahua. Welcome to the fold and best of luck, Stephen! [In reply to] Can't Post

Stephen, you sound like a perfect fit for Bombur: a well-balanced mix of a Tolkien fan/LOTR Movie fan/comedic actor.

I hope you're ready to steal some scenes! You'll have some great opportunities to do just that, as well as some fighting (what little Bombur actually does Wink) and some somber acting moments as well. We're looking forward to seeing you on the big screen in 2012/13!!

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

TORn Calendar

(This post was edited by Altaira on Nov 1 2010, 4:41am)

mae govannen
Tol Eressea

Nov 1 2010, 4:47am

Post #3 of 19 (1481 views)
Shortcut
Inside as outside, just the right [In reply to] Can't Post

feel for Bombur!...
Very nice interview, thanks, Altaira!

'Is everything sad going to come untrue?'
(Sam, 'The Field of Cormallen', in 'The Return of the King'.)

Nienna
Rohan

Nov 1 2010, 5:05am

Post #4 of 19 (1450 views)
Shortcut
Great interview - thank you // [In reply to] Can't Post

Ainu Laire
Tol Eressea

Nov 1 2010, 5:09am

Post #5 of 19 (1498 views)
Shortcut
A Tolkien fan, hmm? Maybe he lurks on TORn [In reply to] Can't Post

Wink

Definitely sounds wonderful for Bombur! Cannot wait to see him in action!

My LiveJournal ~ My artwork and photography

Photobucket
NARF since age 8, when I refused to read the Hobbit because the cover looked boring and icky.

Mooseboy018
Grey Havens

Nov 1 2010, 5:35am

Post #6 of 19 (1497 views)
Shortcut
Things keep getting better and better! [In reply to] Can't Post

This was a great interview. I'm really looking forward to seeing his performance, and how he and the other cast members will form a new family in the behind the scenes documentaries.Smile

mulubinba
Rivendell

Nov 1 2010, 5:48am

Post #7 of 19 (1460 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for the interview [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you so much for bringing us this interview. I also will look forward to seeing Stephen as Bombur Smile

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Nov 1 2010, 6:02am

Post #8 of 19 (1492 views)
Shortcut
This is the bit that got me: [In reply to] Can't Post

Watching the behind the scenes stuff from the Rings DVDs, the vibe was really good. That's what attracted me to really chase this role - I wanted to be part of that family.

He gets the 'family' element of the cast and crew of these films, and he's jazzed - as both an actor and as a Tolkien fan - to be part of The Hobbit. I think he'll be a *fantastic* Bombur.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Nov 1 2010, 6:04am

Post #9 of 19 (1443 views)
Shortcut
That bit makes me quite envious of him :) // [In reply to] Can't Post

Smile

"All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds awake to find that it was vanity; But the dreamers of day are dangerous men. That they may act their dreams with open eyes to make it possible."
- T.E. Lawrence

MrCere
Sr. Staff

Nov 1 2010, 6:06am

Post #10 of 19 (1453 views)
Shortcut
Ataahua - Well done! [In reply to] Can't Post

Your time and talent are much appreciated.

I have no choice but to believe in free will.

The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie

My blog

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 1 2010, 6:06am

Post #11 of 19 (1447 views)
Shortcut
Great interview... [In reply to] Can't Post

... thanks Ataahua. It's so comforting to know that PJ's choosing actors not just based on their looks and acting caliber but also on the attitude they'll be bringing to the set. What a lovely soul to have as Bombur. A very sweet guy... and so humble! Smile

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 1 2010, 8:40am

Post #12 of 19 (1410 views)
Shortcut
Great interview, and I'm sure Stephen will be a fine Bombur! Thanks, both. // [In reply to] Can't Post

The Passing of Mistress Rose
My historical novels

Do we find happiness so often that we should turn it off the box when it happens to sit there?

- A Room With a View

macfalk
Valinor

Nov 1 2010, 8:54am

Post #13 of 19 (1422 views)
Shortcut
This guy sounds perfect. Good interview. // [In reply to] Can't Post

The greatest adventure is what lies ahead.

dormouse
Half-elven

Nov 1 2010, 9:36am

Post #14 of 19 (1439 views)
Shortcut
He sounds really nice, and just right // [In reply to] Can't Post

Flagg
Tol Eressea

Nov 1 2010, 1:43pm

Post #15 of 19 (1371 views)
Shortcut
It's good to know [In reply to] Can't Post

that Stephen is a Tolkien fan, and he does sound pretty enthusiastic about the part. I hope he's prepared to eat plenty of pies though, as he doesn't look quite as... rotund as I imagined Bombur to be. Smile

PJ chose well. I don't think we've had anyone not pleased about this casting. (Good interview, by the way!)

R4W13Y
Bree

Nov 1 2010, 1:54pm

Post #16 of 19 (1389 views)
Shortcut
Thank you so much for this amazing interview! [In reply to] Can't Post

I am so excited to see him as BomburSmile He is so sweet, humble, and enthusiastic - a perfect fit! I really enjoyed reading this, and love that he's a Tolkien fan willing to work as hard as possible to bring a heart and soul (and some jolly laughs) to Bombur!

dormouse
Half-elven

Nov 1 2010, 2:00pm

Post #17 of 19 (1381 views)
Shortcut
He has quite a round face... [In reply to] Can't Post

... and can always wear padding! Wink

Tim
Tol Eressea

Nov 1 2010, 3:41pm

Post #18 of 19 (1342 views)
Shortcut
Good interview Ataahua! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm very excited about the casting so far, it's unexpected and fresh so it adds more "zing" to the "what's PJ going to do?" factor of The Hobbit.

King Arthur: Who are you who can summon fire without flint or tinder?
Tim: There are some who call me... Tim?

Garfeimao
Rohan

Nov 1 2010, 8:07pm

Post #19 of 19 (1326 views)
Shortcut
Same here [In reply to] Can't Post

We know PJ cast a collaborative family for LOTR, so it's nice that Stephen has gotten that bit right off the bat. He sounds like he's going to be perfect for Bombur and for this Company of Dwarves.

Peace, Love and Rock & Roll,

Garfeimao
The orange stripey One

My page in the Traveling Journal

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.