Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
New York Times: Jackson to direct 'The Hobbit'
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

News from Bree
spymaster@theonering.net

Oct 1 2010, 10:48pm

Post #1 of 100 (3805 views)
Shortcut
New York Times: Jackson to direct 'The Hobbit' Can't Post

The New York Times is busting out major headlines today: First with the revelation that 'The Hobbit' films will be filmed in 3-D, and now, all but confirming Peter Jackson will direct the two 'prequels.' (Woo Hoo!!! - Sorry, had to get that in there) According Michael Cieply's article, an announcement to this affect will be coming in the next few days.
Mr. Jackson, who is a producer and writer of the two "Hobbit" films, agreed also to become their director after Mr. del Toro left the project earlier this year, citing the delays. Mr. Jackson's agreement to direct the movies has been in place but hasn't formally closed because it depends on the studios' willingness to begin production soon, according to people briefed on his status.

The first "Hobbit" film is expected to be released in mid-December 2012, the second a year later. Mr. Jackson has said he can direct the films only if those release dates can be met.

There are some other great details about the production in the full article over at The New York Times. [Read More]

(This post was edited by Altaira on Oct 2 2010, 4:07am)

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Oct 2 2010, 4:06am

Post #2 of 100 (2238 views)
Shortcut
Just when things seemed they couldn't get any worse, now it seems they can't get any better [In reply to] Can't Post

Not that I'm complaining. Nope. Not one complaint. Okay, maybe one...

I'm going to get hoarse going: WAAAHOOOO all weekend, lol!!! LaughLaughLaughCoolHeartSmile

Okay, maybe one more...

I'm afraid to go to sleep tonight because I'm afraid I'm going to wake up and find out today was all a dream. *drinks coffee and waits for 'greenlight' headline* WinkCool

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

TORn Calendar

Leviathan's Bane
Rivendell

Oct 2 2010, 4:08am

Post #3 of 100 (2154 views)
Shortcut
Can it be true?!! [In reply to] Can't Post

There are so many things I want to say right now, but for now I will simply post this: Angelic!

"So knights are mythical!" said the younger and less experienced dragons. "We always thought so."

- J.R.R. Tolkien, "Farmer Giles of Ham"

tiamy
Rivendell

Oct 2 2010, 4:11am

Post #4 of 100 (2110 views)
Shortcut
Can't believe it.. [In reply to] Can't Post

After a series of low points in these past few days regarding the production (the union, the fire), I was a bit surprised about this news.

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Oct 2 2010, 4:15am

Post #5 of 100 (2197 views)
Shortcut
Still no fat lady: [In reply to] Can't Post

I ain't going to buy it until it is officially official.

Kangi Ska

Make the Hobbit Happen Now!

Photobucket

Leviathan's Bane
Rivendell

Oct 2 2010, 4:29am

Post #6 of 100 (2197 views)
Shortcut
I agree, *but*... [In reply to] Can't Post

But I can experience cynicism any day of my mundane week. Unmitigated geek bliss, not so much! Wink Here's to Sir Jackson and the Quest which lies before him! *raises pint* Godspeed Sir Jackson! We who were about to die, salute you!

"So knights are mythical!" said the younger and less experienced dragons. "We always thought so."

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Oct 2 2010, 4:41am

Post #7 of 100 (2094 views)
Shortcut
No cynicism [In reply to] Can't Post

Just cautious: Don't want to get up to be let down...again. When the official announcement(s) come I will race you to the nearest bar.

Hopes Crushed TOO Many Times;
KS

Kangi Ska

Make the Hobbit Happen Now!

Photobucket

Leviathan's Bane
Rivendell

Oct 2 2010, 4:58am

Post #8 of 100 (2113 views)
Shortcut
*pats KS on the back* Aye, lad, I'll meet you in the Green Dragon... [In reply to] Can't Post

Or the Prancing Pony...or the Bird and the Baby. Whatever floats your ferry!

(This post was edited by Leviathan's Bane on Oct 2 2010, 4:59am)

Tim
Tol Eressea

Oct 2 2010, 5:11am

Post #9 of 100 (2119 views)
Shortcut
Well two big papers and Finke... [In reply to] Can't Post

say PJ is lined up to direct so I believe it, MGM just needs to pull through as reported then I'm setting up a Green Dragon right here yeah baby yeah.

King Arthur: Who are you who can summon fire without flint or tinder?
Tim: There are some who call me... Tim.

Voorhas
Lorien

Oct 2 2010, 5:13am

Post #10 of 100 (2098 views)
Shortcut
We shall see... [In reply to] Can't Post

...I imagine they'll wait on an official announcement until the news cycle begins again on Monday.

The 3D-ness isn't very appealing to me, but I suppose it's inevitable in these days of diminishing box-office returns. Gotta fill those seats.

Hope everything sorts itself out, anyway!

(This post was edited by Voorhas on Oct 2 2010, 5:14am)

Doriath
Rivendell

Oct 2 2010, 6:28am

Post #11 of 100 (2062 views)
Shortcut
Bitter sweet [In reply to] Can't Post

Hooray P.J. !
Big old Boo to 3D!
Guess I'll have to settle for that version but it won't be the kind of film it deserves to be with that gimmick tacked on. I mean, would the book be improved if it was reprinted in pop-up format? I'll try hard not to go on about the 3D thing but for the record, it's really a shame in my mind.
On a different note, who's up for a TORN/green light party in Vegas!?!

The Trees will have their revenge!

(This post was edited by Doriath on Oct 2 2010, 6:36am)

thesithempire
Rivendell

Oct 2 2010, 6:37am

Post #12 of 100 (2039 views)
Shortcut
Wow [In reply to] Can't Post

Well, I have to admit that I wasn't initially onboard with the idea of Jackson directing any more Tolkien-penned books. ROTK had so completely soured me (and on several levels), that I began to feel that FOTR was a fluke, and that Jackson was eminently unqualified to interpret Tolkien on film.

Now, however, I oddly enough feel that Jackson, after every hurdle he's had to overcome these past few years to get The Hobbit off the ground, is in a unique position to undersand Bilbo Baggins in a way that few others really could. He's had to deal with Thorin-like greed, Spider-like snares, even Smaug-like fires! Like Bilbo's dwarves, his entire mission to see this thing to completion was sabotage and hijacked before even reaching the foothills of the mountain! And heck, Ganda--er--Guillermo was forced to go off to tackle other dark matters! But through it all, Jackson emerged with the ring in hand.

So, I say "Congrats, Peter"! Your struggles and tenacity have won me over. I seriously believe these two films will be the greatest of your career!

Frodosfriend
Rivendell

Oct 2 2010, 6:54am

Post #13 of 100 (2045 views)
Shortcut
Best news ever [In reply to] Can't Post

and to the person above me... what the hell was wrong with ROTK?

thesithempire
Rivendell

Oct 2 2010, 7:00am

Post #14 of 100 (2035 views)
Shortcut
Don't get me started... [In reply to] Can't Post

... I'm feeling positive vibes for PJ right now, and I don't want to sour them by rehashing the fiasco of a film that was ROTK. If you're really interested, however, PM me, and I'll give you a rundown. Otherwise, the short version: the screenplay, production choices, directing choices, and editing. Shame too b/c I think FOTR is one of the all-time great films, and ROTK is to me practically unwatchable (an opinion I'd hoped would soften over time -- but I'd hoped in vain.)

xy
Rohan

Oct 2 2010, 7:08am

Post #15 of 100 (2045 views)
Shortcut
Good and bad both in the same news [In reply to] Can't Post

1) Good . PJ being back. I said a while ago the longer we didn't have a director, he would be doing it.

2) Bad: The gimmicky 3-D. I hope this means there will be both the standard 2-D version and 3-D will be in exclusive theatres only...

LoremIpsum
Lorien

Oct 2 2010, 7:12am

Post #16 of 100 (2011 views)
Shortcut
It feels like the universe is back in it's proper order [In reply to] Can't Post

YAY FOR PJ AND NZ

Though I had a bit of hope for the Mortal Engines to be done firstTongue

Patty
Immortal

Oct 2 2010, 8:13am

Post #17 of 100 (2002 views)
Shortcut
Absolutely! [In reply to] Can't Post

Out of all of these frustrations comes the best news possible. I'm so happy he took it on.

Permanent address: Into the West

Must. Have. The Precious! Give us the Blu-ray Ultimate Box Set!

Patty
Immortal

Oct 2 2010, 8:18am

Post #18 of 100 (2006 views)
Shortcut
"...I can experience cynicism any day of my mundane week. Unmitigated geek bliss, not so much!" [In reply to] Can't Post

So true. And while I regret for the many others who are less than cheerful about it, I scream hurray for the 3D, too. I'll be buying the blu-rays in 2D, though.

Permanent address: Into the West

Must. Have. The Precious! Give us the Blu-ray Ultimate Box Set!

Nesse
Lorien

Oct 2 2010, 8:43am

Post #19 of 100 (1982 views)
Shortcut
At last a glimmer of hope [In reply to] Can't Post

I used to post quite a lot back in the days of 'who will play Bilbo and the rest' but since things have went belly up regarding TH I've been almost scared to check the forum. I've went from about 4 or 5 times per day to twice, each day hoping and praying for some good news....and this looks like it, although I wont be celebrating till its official (puts champagne on ice). There was a time when I really though PJ was gonna say f*** it no movie is worth this hassle, but he's hanging in there and us with him. Hurrah for PJ and TH Smile

Elven
Valinor

Oct 2 2010, 8:58am

Post #20 of 100 (1961 views)
Shortcut
Punches air!! .... [In reply to] Can't Post

I'll pull up a beanbag and sit with you Altaira - my legs have gone from dancing around the room.
I can't wait till the official announcement - I just have always thought it would happen, and now ... just a few days to wait ....
Let It Be PJ!!!
Let It Be PJ!!!
Let It Be PJ!!!

Laugh

dormouse
Half-elven

Oct 2 2010, 9:09am

Post #21 of 100 (1973 views)
Shortcut
Oh, pleeeeeeeeeease.... [In reply to] Can't Post

Daren't celebrate yet until it's actually announced...... *Wonders how long a person can hold their breath*

Vangalad
Lorien

Oct 2 2010, 10:03am

Post #22 of 100 (1942 views)
Shortcut
What a relief! [In reply to] Can't Post

I hope the source is correct and the official announcement comes soon!
Let's get the party started! Wink

Silmaril
Rohan

Oct 2 2010, 10:51am

Post #23 of 100 (1949 views)
Shortcut
please, let this be true! [In reply to] Can't Post

the_argonath
Lorien

Oct 2 2010, 11:07am

Post #24 of 100 (1971 views)
Shortcut
Fabulous news indeed!!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

After reading the recent headlines I (along with everyone else) was v. worried, but now if all this is true then it seems things are heading in the right direction!! Definitely brightened up my day!!
Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh

~*Haudh-en-Ndengin the Elves named it, the Hill of Slain, and Haugh-en-Nirnaeth, the Hill of tears... the earth beneath which the swords of the Eldar and the Edain crumbled into rust*~

(This post was edited by the_argonath on Oct 2 2010, 11:09am)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Oct 2 2010, 12:26pm

Post #25 of 100 (1950 views)
Shortcut
*turns blue holding breath* omg... [In reply to] Can't Post

My ears are ringing with SPIKING BLOODPRESSURE!!! I'm waiting to hear it from Peter. But OMG!!!!!!!!!

The delays were meant to be to put the filmmmaking into Peter's timeframe of do-able. I'm so scared and thrilled and panicked.... *tearing* I know that GdT would have done a wonderful job, and I'm sincerely sorry it didn't work out for him to direct these. It's right and good that he's still involved and his contributions/development will still be a part of this project. But having Peter directing these is so right, imho. I knew he wouldn't let this fall apart. I knew his reverence and belief in Tolkien's work and these films would break any barriers... but to see it hopefully coming together is so overwhelming.

Thank you for hanging in there, Peter... and Wingnut... and Weta... but I hope you think twice about the 3D. Keep the look of the films consistent, please.

*polishes green lightbulb... holds breath* This is so freaky!!!

sample sample

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists
Unused Scenes

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.