TORN Exclusive: Guillermo Del Toro departs “The Hobbit”
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next page Last page  View All

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 31 2010, 11:50pm

Post #126 of 167 (6226 views)
Shortcut
You're probably right [In reply to] Can't Post

In that situation, MGM is still not making the decisions without approval from their creditors.

sample

geordie
Tol Eressea

Jun 1 2010, 12:17am

Post #127 of 167 (6526 views)
Shortcut
I agree [In reply to] Can't Post

- that is, I agree that it's not the end of the world. And, as Eldorion says, no-one has died
(I'm glad to say). Though the way Quickbeam began his podcast, I was beginning to wonder. But anyway; that's show-business, and life goes on. But there is one thing I'd like to mention -

"And just one little thing, If a Silmarillion movie ever gets made, please remember to come back to Middle Earth. "

The film rights to The Silmarillion belong not to the film-makers (thank goodness) but to the Tolkien family; and, as I don't suppose they will be selling them off any time soon, Mr del Toro would have a very long wait.

(This post was edited by geordie on Jun 1 2010, 12:18am)

Glaurung63
Lorien

Jun 1 2010, 12:27am

Post #128 of 167 (6262 views)
Shortcut
totally bummed [In reply to] Can't Post

heard this a couple hours ago and could not access TORn....am so bummed, because they were ready to roll and freakin' MGM's roadblock.....ahhhhh.....I can only imagine how frustrated GDT and PJ and company have been....my sister just visited Hobbiton and saw the work being done....I can totally understand GDT's schedule getting screwed by the MGM situation, and think he's great to stay involved with scripts and stuff....I hope if PJ directs eventually that we will see GDT's influences on screen.....and the good news is that PJ could direct...its one thing for GDT to pull up stakes and move to NZ, but PJ and company live there so no problem waiting it out, UNLESS that also conflicts with PJ's schedule.....ahhhhhhhh heck....crossing fingers.....swearing on the precious...

I raise a glass of ale to all, and thank everyone for their efforts on The Hobbit....thanks GDT

Patty
Immortal

Jun 1 2010, 12:32am

Post #129 of 167 (6326 views)
Shortcut
and in a further attempt to be fair... [In reply to] Can't Post

their creditors deserve to be paid.

This is just a ..what's that "cat" word?A concatenation of bad events which culminates in The Hobbit being pushed back even further and the directorial loss of a talented person who was kind enough to come here and befriend us. I know this decision was difficult. I wish him much further success.

Permanent address: Into the West

Must. Have. The Precious! Give us the Blu-ray Ultimate Box Set!

Alassëa Eruvande
Valinor

Jun 1 2010, 1:10am

Post #130 of 167 (6333 views)
Shortcut
Thank you, Guillermo. [In reply to] Can't Post

I wish you nothing but the best. Thank you for all you've given us.

And suddenly the Ainur saw afar off a light, as it were a cloud with a living heart of flame.

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jun 1 2010, 1:13am

Post #131 of 167 (6829 views)
Shortcut
Yes [In reply to] Can't Post

Concatenation is a great word for this situation, Patty

sample

Owain
Tol Eressea

Jun 1 2010, 2:03am

Post #132 of 167 (6422 views)
Shortcut
To Guillermo Del Toro [In reply to] Can't Post

It was with much excitement that I received the news that The Hobbit would be made after the unfortunate events that occurred between New Line Cinema and Peter Jackson.

While not surprised (in light of the well documented MGM situation), I am greatly saddened to see that you will NOT be directing The Hobbit films. When I had heard that Peter Jackson was looking for a director, you were honestly the first name that came to mind. I was extremely happy to hear that he not only wanted you to direct, but also to write for the film. You are undoubtedly one of the most intelligent and visually stunning story tellers of our time.

I have enjoyed watching all of your films (and will continue to do so) as well as continue to read about your creative approach, enjoy your sketches, listen to your dvd commentaries; you are truly a creative force in the world.

I humbly admire you and have no doubt for your future success.

A sincere thanks for the time and effort you and your family have given.

Smile

"Question everything, embrace the bad, and hold on to the good."

ringer5150
The Shire

Jun 1 2010, 3:08am

Post #133 of 167 (6553 views)
Shortcut
I know there is sadness [In reply to] Can't Post

And wish none of it happened, but as a wise wizard once said:

"so do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."Evil

There are other forces at work in this world besides the will of mgm. Maybe GdT was meant to just write the hobbit and PJ was meant to direct it. And that is an encouraging thought.Wink

Donry
Tol Eressea

Jun 1 2010, 3:25am

Post #134 of 167 (7000 views)
Shortcut
Thanks so much... [In reply to] Can't Post

for what you have contributed thus far and for continually stopping by to keep us up-to-date or to say hello in your own unique way. Good luck with everything down the road.

What's the matter, James? No glib remark? No pithy comeback?"

Shondo

Jun 1 2010, 4:34am

Post #135 of 167 (6229 views)
Shortcut
Message for Guillermo [In reply to] Can't Post

Bueno pues es una noticia que cae como agua fría. Como te lo comenté, hace tiempo en un mail, para mi el hecho de que un mexicano estuviera dirigiendo esta fantástica historia era como un sueño hecho realidad. Era tanto el animo que quise dejar todo para ir allá y poder ser parte de ésta aventura. Ahora se vuelve una aventura destruida por una verdadera estupidez: política y dinero (porque no es mas que eso). Es la pesadilla de que los sueños vienen acompañados de gente que no cree en ellos mas alla del valor comercial que representan.

Por ello es una lastima que tengas que dejarlos por esto. Tú sabes que tienes todo el apoyo de tu país que te quiere y te respeta deseandote un futuro lleno de sueños cumplidos. (Y tal vez un poco de Lovecraft quiza ;) )

Saludos y que mañana sea un día mejor
Atte Roberto Núñez

sador
Half-elven

Jun 1 2010, 6:10am

Post #136 of 167 (6345 views)
Shortcut
Of course not. [In reply to] Can't Post

When people are in shock, they often react to the more petty and personal details. But not having an insider on board is absolutely the least bothersome part of this mess.

A fair warning: I am a nitpicker by taste, talents and profession.

"When Tolkien took me off on the big adventure I was enthralled. By the time he brought me back. I had returned home from Viet Nam and things had changed... at last things looked like they were going to change for the better. But my little town was gone. It was part of the world now."
- Kangi Ska.

Huan71
Lorien

Jun 1 2010, 10:30am

Post #137 of 167 (6303 views)
Shortcut
!!!???? Gutted...Please Help !!!!!???? [:¬( [In reply to] Can't Post

I am absolutely gutted! For me Guillermo was the perfect director and i was REALLY looking forward to seeing his vision of Middle Earth!
I completely understand his reasons for leaving the project....my anger..rage...is directed at MGM!!! How do i contact them so's i can let them know what i think of them? Don't worry, i'll not mention TORN!
I wish Guillermo all the best for the future and will definitely be keeping at least one eye out for his films!
In the mean time, can anyone offer me some counselling or even just a few words of consolation to ensure me that all will be well with this film? Because right now i'd not be surprised if a lot of the people involved were about to move on to more immediate employment!

the_argonath
Lorien

Jun 1 2010, 11:51am

Post #138 of 167 (6555 views)
Shortcut
Didn't see that coming!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

I can understand though, with all time it's taken up and nothing is yet set in stone. I was intrigued to see his vison of ME (but was slightly worried when I watched Hellboy - I'm not the biggest fan) but glad he's staying on to finish the script etc, and he's been so good to us all! Worried now about the choice of new director though, there are few out there who could carry off Tolkien's vision - although I'm liking the suggestion of Alfonso Cuaron! PJ obviously didn't want to direct before so not sure if he'd do it even now Crazy Although he's totally the perfect choice Wink
I regret to say that I think we must all remain confused/uncertain for a while....

~*Haudh-en-Ndengin the Elves named it, the Hill of Slain, and Haugh-en-Nirnaeth, the Hill of tears... the earth beneath which the swords of the Eldar and the Edain crumbled into rust*~

(This post was edited by the_argonath on Jun 1 2010, 11:53am)

Evernight
Rivendell

Jun 1 2010, 1:49pm

Post #139 of 167 (6216 views)
Shortcut
Una lástima... [In reply to] Can't Post

Guillermo, lamento mucho que te hayas visto forzado a tomar esta decisión, pero considerando el contexto y la situación es más que entendible. Te agradezco infinitamente la gentileza que has tenido estos años para con nosotros de tenernos siempre al tanto, y por la pasión que has demostrado tener por este proyecto. Ojalá que todo el tiempo, trabajo, dedicación (y más importante aun, el sacrificio en tu vida personal) que estos dos ultimos años volcaste trabajando tanto en los guiones, como en el diseño y demás puedan verse volcados en la pantalla grande, para bien de las peliculas y como homenaje a tu esfuerzo. Te deseo la mejor de las suertes en tus futuros proyectos, y en tu vida personal, y nuevamente te agradezco por tanta amabilidad.

May the wind under your wings bear you where the sun sails and the moon walks.

In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit...

(This post was edited by Evernight on Jun 1 2010, 1:51pm)

SteveDJ
Rivendell

Jun 1 2010, 4:15pm

Post #140 of 167 (6137 views)
Shortcut
Yes, it's not about us -- but that wasn't my entire point... [In reply to] Can't Post

I see more recent news that PJ may in fact take over " if it becomes the only way to ensure the US$150 milliom ... film is made". I do hope he gets to direct, otherwise I fear that some other director will be found without the same passion for Tolkein, and likewise has no desire/concern for fans like us - but instead just wants to make a Hollywood-ized blockbuster. :(

I figure that by having someone that would communicate with us, it would also mean they would 'listen' to us (as far as they legally could) and we would get the best possible movie. My calling such a person 'an insider for TORn' is just a simple way to express that having such a connection can only mean goodness to the picture. The fact that we get little inside tidbits was just a fringe benefit.

Doriath
Rivendell

Jun 1 2010, 6:31pm

Post #141 of 167 (5916 views)
Shortcut
Unless... [In reply to] Can't Post

Unless PJ picks up the pieces, I don't see the point of it continuing. Both he and GDT loved the books and "got it" when it came to middle earth. What chance is there of another director having that same love and understanding of the material? I don't think some of the folks here realize what has been lost. I don't want these movies to happen just to have something hit the screen. If the right people are not involved there's just too big a chance of having something lame.

The Trees will have their revenge!

Voorhas
Lorien

Jun 1 2010, 7:17pm

Post #142 of 167 (6244 views)
Shortcut
At the risk of sounding overly dramatic... [In reply to] Can't Post

...my interest in this project just took a massive nosedive.

Best of luck, GDT. Your decision is completely understandable.

Tampa Phil
Rivendell

Jun 1 2010, 8:28pm

Post #143 of 167 (6607 views)
Shortcut
Probably for the best. [In reply to] Can't Post

Wasn't a big fan of his Labyrinth movie - especially the decision to cast David Bowie as the Goblin King.

Given his track record of delivering projects on time and within budget, and with the minimum of fuss, I don't think there is any alternative to bringing in Terry Gilliam.

TP.

SteveDJ
Rivendell

Jun 1 2010, 8:30pm

Post #144 of 167 (5999 views)
Shortcut
Six years, instead of three? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
...says Executive Producer Peter Jackson. "The bottom line is that Guillermo just didn't feel he could commit six years to living in New Zealand, exclusively making these films, when his original commitment was for three years. ...

Could someone help me understand how this 6-year commitment maps out? I've probably missing something along the way... Is it because when he originally committed to the project, it was only going to be one film, and now having a second film added was part of that extension to 6-years? Or, was he seeing continued delays (that couldn't be commented on publicly?), on the order of 3+ years (!!)... :-(

CreativeWriter
The Shire

Jun 1 2010, 9:25pm

Post #145 of 167 (6296 views)
Shortcut
LOL [In reply to] Can't Post

"Dance, magic dance. Jump, magic jump!"

Galadriel's ring
Rivendell

Jun 1 2010, 9:28pm

Post #146 of 167 (5875 views)
Shortcut
Oh no!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Well if I were in his shoes I wouldn't leave the hobbit if you paid
me! But I do understand his reasons for going, my only worry is
that if the filmmakers (or who ever picks the director) pick someonewho's ideas or visions don't exactly collaborate well with the input that GDT has had, it will make for a somewhat muddled film. I'm very sure that my fears are unfounded though, because the mostlikely person (I think) to be put up for the job it peter Jackson, andi know That for me the way he made the lotr films was amazing and
I think that if he does them the same way again, they will be just as
good (or maybe even better) than the lotr films.
I don't think that noone else can do the job as well as pj or gdt, there
are plenty of brilliant directors out there, but I just think that if we
can't have peter jackson then we should have GDT and if we can't have
him we should have peter Jackson, if we can't have either of them then
they should all have a good look around and see who will do the job well, and put their own stuff into it, but still keeping sort of parallel to the ideas that all the writers had whilst developing the script.

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Jun 2 2010, 12:06am

Post #147 of 167 (5988 views)
Shortcut
Where did the following come from? [In reply to] Can't Post

"...especially the decision to cast David Bowie as the Goblin King."

Kangi Ska

At night one cannot tell if crows are black or white.

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jun 2 2010, 12:26am

Post #148 of 167 (6017 views)
Shortcut
The source [In reply to] Can't Post

is Tampa Phil's crazy, crazy alternate world. (Hint: His avatar is actually a photo of TP.)

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jun 2 2010, 12:52am

Post #149 of 167 (5994 views)
Shortcut
Thank you, sir. [In reply to] Can't Post

It's been such a delight to have you here with us. What a pity things didn't turn out as we all hoped. All the best to you in your future projects!

Silverlode

"Of all faces those of our familiares are the ones both most difficult to play fantastic tricks with, and most difficult really to see with fresh attention. They have become like the things which once attracted us by their glitter, or their colour, or their shape, and we laid hands on them, and then locked them in our hoard, acquired them, and acquiring ceased to look at them.
Creative fantasy, because it is mainly trying to do something else [make something new], may open your hoard and let all the locked things fly away like cage-birds. The gems all turn into flowers or flames, and you will be warned that all you had (or knew) was dangerous and potent, not really effectively chained, free and wild; no more yours than they were you."
-On Fairy Stories

Glaurung63
Lorien

Jun 2 2010, 1:37am

Post #150 of 167 (6353 views)
Shortcut
thanks for my fav quote! [In reply to] Can't Post

good elven lord, that is just what I needed to hear....my fave quote from Gandalf (Ian) in the movie...and your adaptation of it is inspiring!!!!

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.