Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
TORN Exclusive: Guillermo Del Toro departs “The Hobbit”
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next page Last page  View All

Magpie
Immortal

May 31 2010, 2:21pm

Post #101 of 167 (3837 views)
Shortcut
Links to pertinent entries on Doug Adams' blog [In reply to] Can't Post

I thought some of you might want to read some of Doug's entries on this matter. First, he has some peripheral connection with the production of both LOTR and The Hobbit (through his association with Howard Shore). Second, he suffered his own setback last fall when legal issues that needed to be hashed about between various entities not only stalled his book project (discussing the music of the LOTR films) but almost killed it completely. I thought of how hard that was for him and extrapolated that immediately onto what Guillermo must be feeling.

I can't get the link feature nor Basic Editor to load and the links directly to the blog entries are too long to post as raw links (TORn tends to shorten them, making them non-functional).

So... visit the main page: http://themusicofthelordoftheringsfilms.blogspot.com/

and look for three blog entries (with comments from followers):
  • The Departure of Del Toro - in which Doug posted the press release for his followers to read when TORn went down
  • The Departure of Del Toro Pt. 2 - in which Doug links to the deadline.com article that maintains PJ will not direct The Hobbit
  • A Fool's Hope - in which Doug gets personal and shares some of his experience with the issues his book faced, how hard it is to feel one is disappointing fans, and how good things can come from the worst circumstances. - a definite read, IMO.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ May 2010 : ROTK Lyrics Update!
magpie avatar gallery ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Magpie
Immortal

May 31 2010, 2:23pm

Post #102 of 167 (3453 views)
Shortcut
Regardless of how inarticulate you might feel, that was well said indeed. // [In reply to] Can't Post

Magpie
Immortal

May 31 2010, 2:24pm

Post #103 of 167 (3494 views)
Shortcut
another wonderfully put sentiment // [In reply to] Can't Post

SteveDJ
Rivendell

May 31 2010, 2:56pm

Post #104 of 167 (2987 views)
Shortcut
No more TORn insider for the Hobbit ??? [In reply to] Can't Post

While I don't really have any opinion about how GTD would have done making the film(s), I'm really more concerned that we've lost the "insider". Will whoever is selected as director be as forthcoming here on TORn about events/details/whatever as they happen? I think that is the greater loss here. :(

Uruk-Hai
The Shire

May 31 2010, 2:57pm

Post #105 of 167 (3310 views)
Shortcut
Let's Boycott MGM [In reply to] Can't Post

Let MGM_Studios know how bothered you are by their feet dragging by sending nasty messages to their twitter, facebook pages and EVERY related article!!!!!

(This post was edited by Uruk-Hai on May 31 2010, 3:00pm)

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

May 31 2010, 3:05pm

Post #106 of 167 (3131 views)
Shortcut
How did it come to this? [In reply to] Can't Post

Lament For Eorl The Young
Where now is the horse and the rider? Where is the horn that was blowing?
Where is the helm and the hauberk, and the bright hair flowing?
Where is the hand on the harpstring, and the red fire glowing?
They have passed like rain on the mountain, like a wind in the meadow;
The days have gone down in the West behind the hills into shadow.
Who shall gather the smoke of the deadwood burning,
Or behold the flowing years from the Sea returning?

Kangi Ska

At night one cannot tell if crows are black or white.

What can I say...

deej
Tol Eressea

May 31 2010, 3:25pm

Post #107 of 167 (3182 views)
Shortcut
Thank you, sir, and we hope you stay in touch! [In reply to] Can't Post

The best of luck to you on your future projects, and I hope that you'll be able to stop by the boards from time to time to say hi. Smile

"...and back again."

Steelsheen
The Shire

May 31 2010, 4:01pm

Post #108 of 167 (2962 views)
Shortcut
[frodo scream]GUILLERMOOOOO!!!!!!![/frodo scream] [In reply to] Can't Post

NO!:( NO!:( NO!:( NO!:( NO!:( NO!:( NO!:( NO!:( NO!:( NO!:( NO!:( NO!:( NO!:( NO!:( NO!:( NO!:( NO!:( NO!:( NO!:( NO!:( NO!:( NO!:( NO!:( NO!:( NO!:( NO!:( NO!:( NO!:( NO!:( NO!:( NO!:( NO!:( NO!:( NO!:( NO!:( NO!:( NO!:( NO!:( NO!:( NO!:(

why Guillermo why?!?! its not permanent is it? i mean once MGM gets their act together and The Hobbit finally gets a greenlight the whole dream team will be back right?

please? PLEASE?!?!?!?!?

*cries and crawls to fetal position*

Compa_Mighty
Tol Eressea

May 31 2010, 5:35pm

Post #109 of 167 (3248 views)
Shortcut
Thank you for dropping by [In reply to] Can't Post

Again, all the best wishes. I'll be looking forward to your later post and work!

Here's to Del Toro becoming the Irvin Kershner of Middle Earth!

Essay winner of the Show us your Hobbit Pride Giveway!

Ermanatar
The Shire

May 31 2010, 6:36pm

Post #110 of 167 (3793 views)
Shortcut
I just spit out my Honeycomb cereal!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm absolutely dumbfounded. I don't think there will be another director like Del Toro for us. I, like so many others, was amazed at how humble he was with us here at TheOneRing forums and I'm just crushed. I feel grateful, however to have had him with us for what short a time it was. You will be missed, mate. Good luck with ALL your future endeavors.

Below is a copy and paste of the email I sent to MGM upon reading this news this morning. Thanks to Shadow and Flame for the link! I encourage ALL here on the forums to flood this email account IMMEDIATELY! We need to be heard!

comments@mgm.com

Dear Sirs, The recent news of Mr. Del Toro leaving the Hobbit project has left me absolutely sick. He will be terribly missed and the world will have to miss out on what could've been a truly wonderful set of films. I'm absolutely disgusted with the apparent greed that has shown itself here. I speak for myself, but I know that there are literally LEGIONS of Tolkien fans out there that are of like mind and are equally upset about this unfortunate turn of events. How shameful! This represents a failure to acknowledge the value of the creative side of the business. I realize that MGM is in massive debt, but didn't WB offer a good enough deal for you people? The Hobbit films stand to make a killing at the box office (if they ever get made, that is), so why have the films not been given a greenlight already? Seriously, what is the hold-up? Websites like TheOneRing.net are literally locked up with internet traffic because of this news. There are millions of fans out there that have been waiting (very patiently, I might add) for SOMETHING to happen. Please, if you have ANY love for the art and the films that you make (and not just the money that you make), PLEASE consider ALL of the options you have on the table for these films. You are sitting on a gold mine here. We all know that the James Bond franchise has been put on hold indefinitely, so The Hobbit film project is all you have now. Please, don't screw up the one trump card you have left.

PLAY LOTRO!!! Find me, Ermanatar Silverleaf of Dale on the Silverlode server!!!

Istari68
The Shire

May 31 2010, 6:50pm

Post #111 of 167 (3893 views)
Shortcut
Orcish news... [In reply to] Can't Post

Some foul-craft of the Nercomancer is at work here. The orcs have triumphied today with this news.

The White Council must met and place the bane of Isildur in the hands of Mr. Peter Jackson. This is now his task.

Doriath
Rivendell

May 31 2010, 7:03pm

Post #112 of 167 (3414 views)
Shortcut
Too late [In reply to] Can't Post

They have already screwed it up royally. Also, this article is interesting. Wonder if James McAvoy knew this was all going down in flames so he went for X-Men?

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/herocomplex/2010/05/guillermo-del-toro-.html

The Trees will have their revenge!

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

May 31 2010, 7:47pm

Post #113 of 167 (3228 views)
Shortcut
Or we could be more mature than that [In reply to] Can't Post

and send a *polite* message hoping that MGM doesn't lose more of the talent - artists, technicians - through more delays. Let's show that Tolkien fans are of a higher calibre than a petulant mob.

I don't forget that it was MGM who kept Peter in the game when Shaye barred him from having anything to do with New Line or its products ever again. The company is trying to find a deal that will work, and I have everything crossed that a good solution will come quickly.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Patty
Immortal

May 31 2010, 8:21pm

Post #114 of 167 (3177 views)
Shortcut
*mods up to the stratosphere* // [In reply to] Can't Post

Permanent address: Into the West

Must. Have. The Precious! Give us the Blu-ray Ultimate Box Set!

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 31 2010, 9:08pm

Post #115 of 167 (2790 views)
Shortcut
It's not about us [In reply to] Can't Post

There are hundreds of people working on the films who are dealing with a significant loss, and Guillermo had to make a life-changing decision that he really, really did not want to make. Losing our occasional insider glimpses into the films is a minor issue compared to what these folks are dealing with.

sample

macfalk
Valinor

May 31 2010, 9:12pm

Post #116 of 167 (2981 views)
Shortcut
Still [In reply to] Can't Post

They are to blamed for countless of lost talent already. Or to put it more simple:

MGM = Sauron

Oiotári
Tol Eressea

May 31 2010, 10:04pm

Post #117 of 167 (3038 views)
Shortcut
I sincerely hope [In reply to] Can't Post

that you will keep posting on the boards, if not as the director of TH, then as our friend.

I respect your decision, it must have been harder than many of us can imagine. It takes a good man to come and post something like that, especially so soon after stepping down; you could have so easily just disappeared.

Please stay in touch and know that there are no hard feelings (for my part at least, I do not pretend to speak for others)

Faithless is he who says farewell when the road darkens

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 31 2010, 10:12pm

Post #118 of 167 (2947 views)
Shortcut
MGM is in bankruptcy [In reply to] Can't Post

which means that the Courts are approving all decisions. MGM is not necessarily the bad guy here - if anything, it's their creditors who refuse to accept the deals that have been offered.

In reality, there are no bad guys in this scenario. Everyone involved is trying to find the best solution that works for as many interested parties as possible.

I realize that we are all disappointed, but despite knowing a lot about what's been happening, we don't know everything. Pointing fingers might make us feel better for the moment, but the solution won't get here any faster.

sample

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

May 31 2010, 10:30pm

Post #119 of 167 (3038 views)
Shortcut
I may be wrong but [In reply to] Can't Post

MGM never filed bankruptcy and the courts are not involved. Instead its creditors have taken over control of the company after an attempt auction it failed to bring what they thought was a large enough bid.

Kangi Ska

At night one cannot tell if crows are black or white.

What can I say...

Eldorion
Rohan

May 31 2010, 10:40pm

Post #120 of 167 (3014 views)
Shortcut
Why should we harass MGM? [In reply to] Can't Post

I can appreciate people being disappointed, but it's MGM's creditors who are determining things now, and sending angry e-mails isn't going to bring GDT back. It's only going to make Tolkien fans look ignorant and immature. If there's something substantive to be said we can do so politely.

There's a feeling I get, when I look to the West...
My Tolkien site

hobbitcheese

May 31 2010, 10:52pm

Post #121 of 167 (3111 views)
Shortcut
Sad but not a total loss [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm with you BlueMan, it's very disheartening to have GDT leave The Hobbit. I thought he was the perfect choice for this project, a visionary with talent, and I think he would have been more resistant to including typical Hollywood-style gimmicks (e.g. Legolas action sequences). Cuaṛn is a very good guess imo and would certainly fill the shoes well. While I would love to see PJ reprise his Director role, more so I would like to see another passionate and creative Director take the helm and I think Jackson would rather find another Director as well. Replacing GDT won't be easy, I just hope the films survive the process.

Nazguy
Bree

May 31 2010, 11:05pm

Post #122 of 167 (3327 views)
Shortcut
Nooooooooo :( [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't know what else to say, really. Such a shame. I'm racking my brains to think of another director who could fill his shoes but I'm not having much luck.

Ainu Laire
Tol Eressea

May 31 2010, 11:13pm

Post #123 of 167 (3588 views)
Shortcut
I wish you the best [In reply to] Can't Post

Wherever you end up and whatever project you end up doing next.

My LiveJournal ~ My artwork and photography

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
NARF since age 8, when I refused to read the Hobbit because the cover looked boring and icky.

Empedocles
Rivendell

May 31 2010, 11:25pm

Post #124 of 167 (3538 views)
Shortcut
Sad, Sad, Sad [In reply to] Can't Post

I remember being so happy when I found out Guillermo had been chosen to direct the Hobbit, that I guess it's normal being so sad at his departure.

I mean, it's not the end of the world, but directors who truly immerse in the world they're creating (or re-creating for that matter) and that protect the source as much as Guillermo does with all his projects are hard to find. If you add that to the fact that he takes time to keep us posted about things, that he seems to be a wonderful human being and that he does the most incredible pictures I've seen in the last few years, then the chances to find someone similar are near impossible. I hate the fact that we're probably going to be ever wondering how the movie would have been if Guillermo had directed it.

The only thing positive about this is that maybe Guillermo will get to direct Hellboy 3, Saturn and the End of Days, Drood and maybe At the Mountain of Madness.

Regarding other directors, Peter is of course my first choice, and probably the only choice that would diminish the feeling of losing someone like Guillermo.
I don't like Sam Raimi, I don't think the Spider-Man movies are standing the pass of time that well, although it is true that his style seems to be close to Peter's. I would go with Alfonso Cuaron, or maybe JJ Abrams.

Guillermo, I wish you the best of luck for all your future endeavours, with the full knowledge that they're going to be great and that I will hopefully be there to watch them (or read them :)

And just one little thing, If a Silmarillion movie ever gets made, please remember to come back to Middle Earth.
Maybe it won't be Smaug but Glaurung the dragon you can put on our screens.

Thanks again Sr., un abrazo desde Argentina.

Please, give us back Glorfindel!!!

Theodred
Lorien

May 31 2010, 11:37pm

Post #125 of 167 (4144 views)
Shortcut
Many thanks, Guillermo [In reply to] Can't Post

First of all, I have to say I'm totally understanding and respecting his decision, but at the same time I'm really sad, because in his posts you could feel his enthousiasm for this movie project when you're reading between the lines, so I'm certain he would have made TH an awesome and epic movie. I probably might have done the same thing if I were standing in his shoes, but when you're considering all the work, time and effort he has put into the preproduction of TH, wouldn't it be better if he might reconsider his decision? I know, it will be highly unlikely he would ever do that, and I understand his commitment to the other movies he also has to make, but I wonder, when he's looking back on his life in a few decades time, wouldn't he regret it big time he has made this decision to retreat as the director of The Hobbit? It's not too late to reconsider ( Wishful thinking...Blush) When TH will eventually be made, it almost for sure will be one of the most iconic movies in movie history, and if he would have been the director of it, he will always be remembered for that. Other movies he will make probably will also be something special, as he is a great director, but TH is a movie that's on beforehand "an epic and classic movie".

'This might be strange to say, but I'm really hoping the green light for TH will not come within the next few weeks, otherwise it would give me the feeling they have waited on purpose until GdT has retreated as director (I know, ofcourse, that's not the case).

Anyway, there are two things I'm afraid of:
- The first one is that the time they need for finding a new director who might also want to rewrite the script to match his personal style, will cost a lot of time, maybe even delaying the release of TH with one, two or even more years...Unsure

- The second one is that cast and crew involved in TH or have an agreement to sign a contract as soon as there's a green light, like Ian McKellen, will also decide to retreat , because of their age, their roles in other film projects, tired of waiting, etc

When TH eventually is made, we probably will always ask the questions: What if Guillermo would have made TH, and how would GdT's version have been compared with the version of the new director, but ofcourse those are questions that probably will never be answered...

I'm really hoping that in the "behind the scenes of TH" on the DVD that eventually will come out, we will see his work, his enthousiasm and how he was involved in the preproduction of TH, as some kind of tribute to Guillermo.

I'm wishing you all the best with your future projects, and want to thank you for all you have done. I hope you'll keep visiting the boards every now and then in the (near) future!

http://dehobbithyve.hyves.nl/

(This post was edited by Theodred on May 31 2010, 11:45pm)

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.