Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Crumbses and Tidbits: "Hobbit" Start Date, Casting, 3D Discussions
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

News from Bree
spymaster@theonering.net

May 23 2010, 4:13am

Post #1 of 124 (2498 views)
Shortcut
Crumbses and Tidbits: "Hobbit" Start Date, Casting, 3D Discussions Can't Post

Nikki Finke over at Deadline.com seems to have some new information that even the Eagles, ahem, the rest of the inerweb hasn't caught wind of yet. Reporting on Peter Jackson's plans for the new King Kong 360 3D attraction at the Universal Studios Hollywood studio tour, she digresses to update fans on a few things "Hobbit", all seeming to indicate that serious matters are ongoing even as we wait and watch and speculate.

On The Hobbit front, I'm told that both scripts are in, that discussions are underway right now to determine if they'll shoot in 3D. (I think it's inevitable). They will set everything in place in a New Zealand powwow next month, and then casting will begin for a November start.

There seems to be no indication that the uncertainty surrounding MGM's situation is impeding the progress on these films in any way (yet), but as reported recently by the Wall Street Journal and by our friend and messageboard member Kristin Thompson over at her blog The Frodo Franchise, MGM's creditors do indeed seem to be close to a plan to resolve the studio's financial woes.

Elladan
Rivendell

May 23 2010, 10:11am

Post #2 of 124 (1263 views)
Shortcut
At face value [In reply to] Can't Post

This seems like good news, right?

Though I am sure many people will be annoyed at the 3D prospect. Has GDT ever shot a film in 3D? How different is it to regular shooting? Do you need to synchronise multiple cameras? My main concern is how obvious the difference will be between the Hobbit and tLotR, I cant imagine retrospective 3D will ever be as good as using it from the word go. Still as long as the go with the Avatar approach and make it almost unnoticeable it should be a problem for the film as a stans alone entity.

So when they say casting after the "pow wow" do you think that means casting announcements, locking people in, or officially looking for people. Was the current casting process officially anounced or did it just kind of leak out?

RaoulJ
Rivendell

May 23 2010, 10:39am

Post #3 of 124 (1258 views)
Shortcut
Great news.. I guess.. [In reply to] Can't Post

Great news.. If it's real.. But about the 3d I'm not so happy.

Of course nothing is set in stone. We have received numerous mentions of shootingdates, never true.

But about the 3d, "Still as long as the go with the Avatar approach and make it almost unnoticeable it should be a problem for the film as a stans alone entity". Do you mean not to much jumping-out scenes? Because I can't imagine it being great. Avatar 'worked' because the movie was completely cg. When you look at the other 3d-movies, 3d sucks. Okay, most of them are post-3d'd (Alice, Titans) but that new danceflick 'Dance to the streets 3d' or something was terrible (and not just the story ;)). And that was filmed in 3d.

At this point; I don't want 3d.

Elladan
Rivendell

May 23 2010, 10:50am

Post #4 of 124 (1221 views)
Shortcut
Yeah I dont see the appeal of 3D [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
But about the 3d, "Still as long as the go with the Avatar approach and make it almost unnoticeable it should be a problem for the film as a stans alone entity". Do you mean not to much jumping-out scenes? Because I can't imagine it being great. Avatar 'worked' because the movie was completely cg. When you look at the other 3d-movies, 3d sucks. Okay, most of them are post-3d'd (Alice, Titans) but that new danceflick 'Dance to the streets 3d' or something was terrible (and not just the story ;)). And that was filmed in 3d.

At this point; I don't want 3d.

Yeah I meant without stuff flying at you. The only 3D part of Avatar I conciously noticed was the bits of floating detritus just in front of the screen, weather that was dust, blossom or leaves. The only other good thing I can think of with 3D is the fact the whole screen is in focus, so you can look anywhere. All though I have only seen avatar and nothing else so its possible I may be mistaken.

Leviathan's Bane
Rivendell

May 23 2010, 1:16pm

Post #5 of 124 (1276 views)
Shortcut
Every single epic movie... [In reply to] Can't Post

...worth any recognition has been filmed in 2D. Save 3D for the novelty flicks whose sorry storylines need candycoating in order to be "successful."

The Hobbit doesn't need that...

(This post was edited by Altaira on May 23 2010, 4:23pm)

dormouse
Half-elven

May 23 2010, 2:11pm

Post #6 of 124 (1171 views)
Shortcut
I agree with all three of you... [In reply to] Can't Post

If it becomes 3D it will be marketed as 3D rather than as Tolkien, and that seems a shame to me. Recent experience suggests that 3D is the one special effect which overwhelms every other consideration.

Besides, with a combination of Tolkien, Guillermo del Toro, Peter Jackson, Weta and actors so far unknown, 'The Hobbit' will be far too strong to need it and I'd love to see them stand out against the novelty and create a real, enduring adaptation using effects that don't push to the front and shout for attention.

Still, it really is good to feel that something is happening at last (and for a while I can go on hoping that 'I think it's inevitable' is only what Nikke Finke thinks.... ;) )

shadowdog
Rohan

May 23 2010, 2:16pm

Post #7 of 124 (1131 views)
Shortcut
Agree [In reply to] Can't Post

And what about those who can't watch 3D? Will they print special editions in 2D and will theaters show it in 2D with the higher prices they can charge for 3D?

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

May 23 2010, 2:29pm

Post #8 of 124 (1199 views)
Shortcut
The possible application of 3-D to the upcomming Hobbit films [In reply to] Can't Post

offers little in the way of real enhancement of the finished product. It is generally distracting for most and really problematic for a large percentage of the audience. Finally, the enhanced ticket prices for 3-D showings are an exploitation of the movie going audience. IMHO, if you want to make a lot of money making films do not rely on fads & gimcracks. Make great films with great scripts, great acting and great cinematography. Save the 3-D for cartoons, video games and totally computer enhanced and generated movies. The Hobbit which hopefully will be primarily a pair of live action films set to a large extent in a natural environment (as were the three Lord of the Rings films) will benefit little visually from being forced into a 3-D format.

Kangi Ska

There is no place like the Shire...There is no place like the Shire...There is no place like the Shire...

At night one cannot tell if crows are black or white.

Man on Fire

macfalk
Valinor

May 23 2010, 3:00pm

Post #9 of 124 (1106 views)
Shortcut
Exactly [In reply to] Can't Post

Watching Avatar in 3D was a distracting experience. When finally watching Hobbit for the first time, the last thing I want to do is to fiddle with the 3D-glasses.

I think people are already tired of 3D.

(This post was edited by macfalk on May 23 2010, 3:02pm)

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

May 23 2010, 3:10pm

Post #10 of 124 (1150 views)
Shortcut
A November Start: [In reply to] Can't Post

It would be really nice to get official confirmation of this or any other start date!

Kangi Ska

There is no place like the Shire...There is no place like the Shire...There is no place like the Shire...

Man on Fire

Oiotri
Tol Eressea

May 23 2010, 3:13pm

Post #11 of 124 (1121 views)
Shortcut
I will admit [In reply to] Can't Post

the first time I saw a 3D movie, I thought it was pretty cool... but that wore off pretty quickly

plus, if TH is in 3D what will gramma do about the price tag?

Faithless is he who says farewell when the road darkens

chrism628
Bree

May 23 2010, 3:26pm

Post #12 of 124 (1118 views)
Shortcut
Big deal... [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't understand all the fuss about 3-D. If they decided on making it 3-D, no problem because those who do not want to see it in 3-D can just as easily watch the non-3-D version. Cool

Magpie
Immortal

May 23 2010, 3:28pm

Post #13 of 124 (1144 views)
Shortcut
just keep in mind... that's *your* voice that you are crying out with... not *mine* [In reply to] Can't Post

The use of *our* is inappropriate. No one speaks for all fans.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ May 2010 : ROTK Lyrics Update!
magpie avatar gallery ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Voronw_the_Faithful
Valinor

May 23 2010, 3:31pm

Post #14 of 124 (1134 views)
Shortcut
Quite right [In reply to] Can't Post

And on this issue, there is hardly an overwhelming consensus either way. I think people are pretty much split evenly on it.

'But very bright were the stars upon the margin of the world, when at times the clouds about the West were drawn aside.'

www.arda-reconstructed.com

macfalk
Valinor

May 23 2010, 3:49pm

Post #15 of 124 (1133 views)
Shortcut
Actually we aren't split evenly on it [In reply to] Can't Post

We had a poll on this matter at the front page where the "no" side won with 70 % vs 30 % for the "yes" side. If I recall the numbers correctly, of course. Cool

Oiotri
Tol Eressea

May 23 2010, 3:55pm

Post #16 of 124 (1138 views)
Shortcut
so not evenly spilt, but hardly unanimous [In reply to] Can't Post

I get the impression that the pro-3D side just doesn't speak up as much

Oiotri
Tol Eressea

May 23 2010, 4:05pm

Post #17 of 124 (1090 views)
Shortcut
how about [In reply to] Can't Post

listen to our voices

you make a good point though

Elven
Valinor

May 23 2010, 4:16pm

Post #18 of 124 (1100 views)
Shortcut
Interesting - but I'll wait for confirmation before I start hyperventilating // [In reply to] Can't Post

Voronw_the_Faithful
Valinor

May 23 2010, 4:20pm

Post #19 of 124 (1141 views)
Shortcut
Based on comments made in the discussions [In reply to] Can't Post

People here are roughly evenly split. Regardless of what any poll on the front page said.

'But very bright were the stars upon the margin of the world, when at times the clouds about the West were drawn aside.'

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

May 23 2010, 4:23pm

Post #20 of 124 (1133 views)
Shortcut
That would be your opinion of course [In reply to] Can't Post

as it contradicts the only measurement we have.

Kangi Ska

Man on Fire

macfalk
Valinor

May 23 2010, 4:23pm

Post #21 of 124 (1143 views)
Shortcut
This thread has 20 replies - the poll had 10,000 votes~ [In reply to] Can't Post

Magpie
Immortal

May 23 2010, 4:42pm

Post #22 of 124 (1102 views)
Shortcut
Yep, and a poll on the front page must be the most scientific of all survey methods. // [In reply to] Can't Post

Magpie
Immortal

May 23 2010, 4:44pm

Post #23 of 124 (1065 views)
Shortcut
what he said. // [In reply to] Can't Post

Voronw_the_Faithful
Valinor

May 23 2010, 4:47pm

Post #24 of 124 (1120 views)
Shortcut
Final words [In reply to] Can't Post

First of all, I'm not talking about "this thread" but rather the extensive discussions that have gone on on this messageboard in the past few months about the subject, in which, contrary to Kangi's rather rude assertion, has objectively been roughly split between those in favor of 3-D and those against. I don't know whether you are correct or not as to whether there was a poll with 10,000 votes on the front page or what the result was, but in any event those anonymous votes don't speak for this community.

And I must say that exchanges like this make me much less interested in being a part of this community myself.

Oiotri
Tol Eressea

May 23 2010, 4:48pm

Post #25 of 124 (1066 views)
Shortcut
what who said? // [In reply to] Can't Post

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.