Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
An interview with Hama (aka John Leigh)

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

May 1 2010, 1:37am

Post #1 of 8 (3002 views)
Shortcut
An interview with Hama (aka John Leigh) Can't Post

John Leigh is about to take on the role of New Zealand author Ronald Hugh Morrieson in the stage show Horseplay, and the NZ Herald caught up with him for a chat.

The full story is here (and it's a fascinating peek into the workings of Leigh's mind), but there are two LOTR-related snippets from him:

He is a very good mimic (although perhaps his John Rowles needs a little finessing.) He does a terrific Sir Ian McKellen. "I did not travel 4000 miles to trade words with a witless worm!"

He did an exchange with Christopher Lee on a The Lord of the Rings set. "I said, 'I used to watch all your films'. And he said, 'Oh yes. And who are you playing?' I said, 'I'm playing Hama, he's a Rohan ...' And he said, 'I'm sorry to have to tell you that your character dies.' And I said, 'A lot of my characters seem to die.' He said, 'That happens to me, too - but what can you do?' and swept away."

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

May 1 2010, 3:28am

Post #2 of 8 (709 views)
Shortcut
Great Interview [In reply to] Can't Post

What a stream-of-consciousness sort of person! I can't imagine trying to interview someone like that--reminds me of a couple of my violin students (off-topic is the topic.)

I loved the vignette of C. Lee. "Swept" sounds exactly right! He was the only actor in the movies that looked precisely like I'd pictured him from reading the books. Gandalf was close, though, but not quite--like laying a tranparent image over another one and having it not quite match (remember the old overhead projectors in school 'way back, anyone?). Not a criticism of course. It's just interesting how definite a picture we can form by means of little black and white symbols.

The part of the interview where Leigh says, "I've got my scarf on. I don't know why. It's not cold" and the whole picture the article paints of how he dresses reminds me of a story about C.S. Lewis (I think from the forward to his published letters) where a visitor is walking with him through the grounds of Oxford, and happens to mention an odd looking, water-logged lump on one of the bushes. Lewis said, "That looks like my hat." When they got closer, he said "It is my hat," grabbed, put it on his head and kept on walking. Sly

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 1 2010, 4:25am

Post #3 of 8 (776 views)
Shortcut
We're going to that play! [In reply to] Can't Post

Looking forward to it.

After seeing John Leigh as "Sparky" in "Outrageous Fortune", I have even more respect for his range:-)

The Passing of Mistress Rose
My historical novels

Do we find happiness so often that we should turn it off the box when it happens to sit there?

- A Room With a View

ZeddZulZorander
The Shire

May 1 2010, 2:23pm

Post #4 of 8 (667 views)
Shortcut
Sad [In reply to] Can't Post

I feel depressed after reading that interview. I feel sorry for the guy. I really liked how he played Hama in the Two Towers.

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

May 1 2010, 9:21pm

Post #5 of 8 (634 views)
Shortcut
Yes! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
After seeing John Leigh as "Sparky" in "Outrageous Fortune", I have even more respect for his range:-)

His Sparky was disturbingly real (or really disturbing - either would be accurate!).

Would you post a review of the show? I'd love to know how he does.

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

May 1 2010, 9:22pm

Post #6 of 8 (645 views)
Shortcut
Ha! Love it! :D / [In reply to] Can't Post

Ataahua's stories

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

May 1 2010, 9:28pm

Post #7 of 8 (673 views)
Shortcut
I thought it was fascinating [In reply to] Can't Post

to see how his creative mind isn't constrained by *anything* - not the least straight lines of thought. But then I am fascinated by how our minds work anyway: How people with pretty much the same brain structure can get to similar (or better, or more insightful) conclusions by completely different paths.

A while back I was reading about a high-functioning Aspergus teen who was a genius at maths. He explained that he didn't think in numbers but in colour: Each number had its own colour and when he thought of a maths problem, he'd come to a new colour - and the number that colour represented was the correct answer.

There is no reason why that method should work - but for him, it did.

Ataahua's stories

grammaboodawg
Immortal

May 3 2010, 9:08am

Post #8 of 8 (720 views)
Shortcut
Now There's someone [In reply to] Can't Post

who would make an Awesome Dwarf!!! Just not Fili, Kili or Thorin please ;)

sample

sample sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."
~Hug like a hobbit!~

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.