Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
CNN: Peter Jackson stands up for his 'Bones'

News from Bree
spymaster@theonering.net

Apr 20 2010, 4:14pm

Post #1 of 7 (2717 views)
Shortcut
CNN: Peter Jackson stands up for his 'Bones' Can't Post

(CNN) -- Before "The Lovely Bones," the aughts had been a charmed decade for Peter Jackson.

It began with the one-two-three punch of the "Lord of the Rings" trilogy, a juggernaut that grossed almost $4 billion worldwide at the box office and won 17 Oscars -- 11 of those, including best picture and best director, for the final chapter, "The Return of the King."

Jackson followed "Rings" with his 2005 remake of "King Kong," which was another huge success both at the box office and with critics. He donned his producer's hat for 2009's "District 9," a low-budget South African film that made $200 million worldwide and was nominated for best picture. [Read Full Story]

moreorless
Gondor

Apr 21 2010, 3:17pm

Post #2 of 7 (474 views)
Shortcut
I still think alot of the problem was expectations... [In reply to] Can't Post

I'v not read the book but given the subject matter I like I'd guess alot of critics expected a "serious realistic drama"with some supernatural elements. What we got though was much closer to LOTR or Kong with larger than life pretty archetypical characters. People are used to seeing that in fantasy but tend to associate it with poor quality "daytime" filmkaing with this kind of subject matter, personally I think its just very tough to get right. There were definately more misteps here than in LOTR or Kong (the boyfriend and the physic girl for example) but as he says in that interview much of the film was sucessful for me because it didnt try to use the archetypical characters and situations to gain false emotion.

(This post was edited by moreorless on Apr 21 2010, 3:19pm)

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Apr 21 2010, 11:45pm

Post #3 of 7 (476 views)
Shortcut
It was better than the book. [In reply to] Can't Post

I believe that no matter what movie Peter made at that point in his career it would have been attacked. A lot of people just want the winner to fail. I personally would have went for the grittier adaptation of the story but Peter did not want that distracting from the other elements of the story.

Kangi Ska

There is no place like the Shire...There is no place like the Shire...There is no place like the Shire...

At night one cannot tell if crows are black or white.

alt="Photobucket">
Man on Fire

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Apr 22 2010, 12:18am

Post #4 of 7 (413 views)
Shortcut
Interesting. [In reply to] Can't Post

CNN calls King Kong a 'huge success both at the box office and with critics', but I remember the film being criticised for not being good enough by the director of LOTR, and only bringing in an enormous amount at the box office rather than the gargantuan amount that it 'should' have done.

It's nice to see PJ getting plaudits for King Kong but the reinterpretation of the critics' comments of the time, to support CNN's angle, is a bit annoying.

One thing I like about PJ as a creative force is that he has a clear image of what he wants from a film, and he makes sure he gets that - and then stands by it, regardless of the surrounding commentary. I think that sometimes films are shaped in an effort to appeal to a perception of the masses, rather than the focus being on making *a good film*. PJ does the latter. He's said of LOTR, King Kong and The Lovely Bones that he made them into his version of the stories, rather than trying for a single purist version - and the result is a series of films that feel fresh and stand strongly on their own merits.

Needless to say, I thought he did a great job with TLB.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

holydiver
The Shire

Apr 22 2010, 12:53am

Post #5 of 7 (447 views)
Shortcut
Unforgivable [In reply to] Can't Post

Regardless of people WANTING Peter Jackson to fail, The Lovely Bones was an unforgivably awful piece of garbage. Colossal waste of 11 dollars. To be honest, I think Peter Jackson losing all the weight and getting rid of the glasses caused him to lose his touch. I mean, just look at how AWFUL he looks now, when before he was a total badass. That's why I'm happy with Guillermo directing The Hobbit. PJ would have ruined it anyway with his love of gritty realism and his hatred of magic and whimsy. Now Gandalf can use some crazy spells and all of the animals can talk! Yay!

Imladris18
Lorien

Apr 22 2010, 6:00am

Post #6 of 7 (431 views)
Shortcut
-- [In reply to] Can't Post

I really hope you're being sarcastic >_>

ShyElf
Lorien

Apr 22 2010, 4:28pm

Post #7 of 7 (458 views)
Shortcut
I read the book... [In reply to] Can't Post

... and it was a difficult read for me, especially the beginning - when at one point I didn't think I could continue reading the book. When I was reading it, my daughter was 14. Back in 1973, I was a 16 year old, so I could relate with the era and the naivete of Suzy. So it was hard to read. The father reminded me of my husband, and he reacted how I think my husband would react. The mother made me angry with her reaction, but then again, she was faced with a horrible situation and I never want to know what I would do in her shoes. I found it a very emotional book.

That said - I made the conscious decision that I would not go to see the movie in the theatres (even though I love Peter Jackson films). I really didn't think I could sit through it. However, I will most likely rent the DVD and watch it sometime.

Cheers!

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.