Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Hobbiton Construction Photos!

News from Bree
spymaster@theonering.net

Mar 26 2010, 6:46am

Post #1 of 21 (2775 views)
Shortcut
Hobbiton Construction Photos! Can't Post

The great folks from Red Carpet Tours (redcarpet-tours.com) have sent along this report and imagery from the Hobbiton set near Matamata, New Zealand:
At last - work on the set at Hobbiton is under way in earnest ! A team of 60 people have begun building Hobbit holes. Three of those under construction are new and rather large. Does that mean we'll be able to step inside them? Check out the photos below.

Click an image for a larger version

Anteor
Bree

Mar 26 2010, 12:03pm

Post #2 of 21 (1675 views)
Shortcut
thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

thanks for the pics News From Bree! I gotta say though progress like this does seem rather hollow when the fact that this movie is currently stuck in thw quagmire as it were.

if more of us valued food and good cheer above gold and jewels. it would be a merrier world.

DiveTwin
Rohan

Mar 26 2010, 1:46pm

Post #3 of 21 (1624 views)
Shortcut
Great! [In reply to] Can't Post

Despite the green light delays, think provides some positive hope that we'll start getting news soon. And always great to see Hobbiton come back to life.

"Do not come between the Nazgul and his prey"

rings7
Rohan

Mar 26 2010, 3:31pm

Post #4 of 21 (1578 views)
Shortcut
Holy cow [In reply to] Can't Post

Awesome!!Smile

Gothmog The Mighty
The Shire

Mar 26 2010, 4:06pm

Post #5 of 21 (1616 views)
Shortcut
Greenlight 'on the quiet'? [In reply to] Can't Post

60 man work crew is quite an extensive job. I really do wonder if something has happened behind the scenes that has kicked everything into high gear?

Mirabella_Bunce
Rivendell

Mar 26 2010, 4:43pm

Post #6 of 21 (1540 views)
Shortcut
Printed these out! [In reply to] Can't Post

I've been trying for years to get my husband to agree to let me build a hobbit hole in the slope overlooking our pond. Maybe these photos will convince him and he'll finally green-light funding for backhoe rental! Sly

Come! Tra-la-la-lally!
Come back to the Valley!

macfalk
Valinor

Mar 26 2010, 5:15pm

Post #7 of 21 (1547 views)
Shortcut
haha! [In reply to] Can't Post

good luck, mirabella! Cool

Rosie-with-the-ribbons
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 26 2010, 5:20pm

Post #8 of 21 (1550 views)
Shortcut
Those numbers [In reply to] Can't Post

Do they stand of the actual numbers of Hobbit holes they are building? Because I see a 7, 35 and 40. So if that means 40 Hobbit holes, wow!

And I'm really glad they started building, means there is something happening Smile

macfalk
Valinor

Mar 26 2010, 5:23pm

Post #9 of 21 (1534 views)
Shortcut
Me too [In reply to] Can't Post

I was suprised and overwhelmed by these magnificent photos.

Rivendell

Mar 26 2010, 5:46pm

Post #10 of 21 (1522 views)
Shortcut
It's such a beautiful area! // [In reply to] Can't Post

"Something, something, something Darkside. Something, something, something complete."

Elafacwen
The Shire

Mar 26 2010, 5:57pm

Post #11 of 21 (1517 views)
Shortcut
Woohoo! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm so exited! Thanks for the wonderful update!!
I just hope Hobbiton is still open for tourism in November when I am there Unsure

>>---------->

Jazmine
Tol Eressea

Mar 26 2010, 6:56pm

Post #12 of 21 (1508 views)
Shortcut
So exciting to see stuff going on there! [In reply to] Can't Post

We were there on a tour yesterday and took many of the same photos. Of course, the guide wasn't allowed to tell us anything, but it was pretty clear just by looking!

I'm really glad we got to go see this, it was great to actually get to see something happening!

Patty
Immortal

Mar 26 2010, 7:17pm

Post #13 of 21 (1525 views)
Shortcut
This is wonderful! [In reply to] Can't Post

60 people working on them does sound like it is really underway.

Permanent address: Into the West

Huan71
Lorien

Mar 26 2010, 9:30pm

Post #14 of 21 (1461 views)
Shortcut
Great news indeed!! [In reply to] Can't Post

So good to see something tangible going on!
It would seem a lot has been going on behind the scenes....well, it would be good to think so anyway! lol

Artanis
Rohan

Mar 26 2010, 11:43pm

Post #15 of 21 (1449 views)
Shortcut
These are the sorts of photos I like to see!!!! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Artanis

Leviathan's Bane
Rivendell

Mar 27 2010, 6:37pm

Post #16 of 21 (1406 views)
Shortcut
Possible PJ sighting... [In reply to] Can't Post

If you look closely at the top of the fourth construction picture with Hobbit-Hole #7, I believe Peter Jackson can be seen trotting up the hill.

Patty
Immortal

Mar 27 2010, 6:40pm

Post #17 of 21 (1386 views)
Shortcut
Ha! Cute thought. [In reply to] Can't Post

But I seriously doubt that's him.

Permanent address: Into the West

Sunflower
Valinor

Mar 28 2010, 5:04am

Post #18 of 21 (1392 views)
Shortcut
I agree [In reply to] Can't Post

If WB thinks it can "scare" or sway the MGM shareholders into softening their positions now that they know a major film is appearing to be "going ahead" as it were, between this and Ian McKellan's "filming in June" statement, it will not work. It didn't work in the fall, or at Christmas.... WB has tried this before, allowing fan sites and news outets to spread reports of major production getting underway in attempts to get MGM shareholders to back down, but it did not move them one wit.

There was a time I would have looked at these pics and rejoiced. Now it seems hollow...as if they just gave the order to go ahead as if the film were being shot as planned, in the attempts at raising morale after the long intertia. In case anyonr forgot, we were supposd to be filming by May. We should have known at least Bilbo by now.

Obama getting health care through Congress is beginning to look easy next to this impasse..Unsure

(This post was edited by Sunflower on Mar 28 2010, 5:07am)

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Mar 28 2010, 12:44pm

Post #19 of 21 (1362 views)
Shortcut
You seem to forget that Mr. P Jackson and Company are involved. [In reply to] Can't Post

Right now the New Zealand group has a lot to say about The Hobbit despite the three ringer going on elsewhere. They can not settle the mess but I would bet that they believe it will be settled. Peter (as Executive Producer) has been systematically moving his pieces onto the board i strong strategic positions so as to leap forward with a moments notice. This MGM mess could clear at any time.

Kangi Ska

The Hobbit Deserves More Respect!

At night one cannot tell if crows are black or white.

Photobucket

Deni
Rivendell

Mar 28 2010, 2:21pm

Post #20 of 21 (1353 views)
Shortcut
cool...:DDDD can`t wait to see the Hobbit! [In reply to] Can't Post

Is it he?! NICE! :D
->and he needs no helicopter trotting up the hillTongue (like he said in the SEE on the set of Rohan Wink)

" Those were the MOVIES that stayed with you. That meant something, even if you were too small to understand why."

roygbiv
The Shire

May 10 2010, 9:12pm

Post #21 of 21 (1257 views)
Shortcut
I want to live in one!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

They should make them real complete, furnished hobbit dwellings and rent them out after filming.

Hop along, my little friends, up the Withywindle!
Tom's going on ahead candles for to kindle.
Down west sinks the Sun: soon you will be groping.
When the night-shadows fall, then the door will open,
Out of the window-panes light will twinkle yellow.
Fear no alder black! Heed no hoary willow!
Fear neither root nor bough! Tom goes on before you.
Hey now! merry dol! We'll be waiting for you!

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.