Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Dominus Anulorum: LOTR in Latin!

Michaeles Nagoda

Jan 13 2010, 9:42pm

Post #1 of 13 (4244 views)
Shortcut
Dominus Anulorum: LOTR in Latin! Can't Post

Hi everyone my name's Mike. I've been a long time Tolkien fan and TORN visitor. I used to go by Smeagol7 in Barliman's ages ago. Anyways, I've decided to embark on a project that will last me the rest of my life more than likely. After taking two years of Latin, I decided that with no official Latin translation of LOTR around (and one what seems to be abandoned attempt by someone else: http://www.eldalie.ch/~earendilyon/), I decided to do it myself. I'm asking all Tolkien fans who are knowledgable with their Latin and know the language quite well on TORN if they could provide criticism and feedback of my translation (in English please!). My project site can be found here:

http://dominus-anulorum.blogspot.com

Thanks and any help is appreciated!

Mike

silneldor
Half-elven

Jan 13 2010, 10:13pm

Post #2 of 13 (1955 views)
Shortcut
Sanctus scomber!\\ [In reply to] Can't Post

Knew i had that eng./lat. dictionary somewhere.

''Sam put his ragged orc-cloak under his master's head, and covered them both with the grey robe of Lorien; and as he did so his thoughts went out to that fair land, and to the Elves, and he hoped that the cloth woven by their hands might have some virtue to keep them hidden beyond all hope in this wilderness of fear...But their luck held, and for the rest of that day they met no living or moving thing; and when night fell they vanished into the darkess of Mordor.'' - - -rotk, chapter III

May the grace of Manwë let us soar with eagle's wings!

In the air, among the clouds in the sky
Here is where the birds of Manwe fly
Looking at the land, and the water that flows
The true beauty of earth shows
With the stars of Varda lighting my way
In all the realms this is where I stay
In the realm of Manwë Súlimo

L. Ron Halfelven
Grey Havens

Jan 13 2010, 10:51pm

Post #3 of 13 (1965 views)
Shortcut
Haha! That was proper MCDXX, that was!/ [In reply to] Can't Post

Compa_Mighty
Tol Eressea

Jan 14 2010, 12:19am

Post #4 of 13 (1944 views)
Shortcut
Quite a project! [In reply to] Can't Post

I finished second in a national Latin ethymology contest when I was in high school... but it was just that: ethymology, no practical phrase construction or syntaxis.

I wish you all the best though! Wink

Here's to Del Toro becoming the Irvin Kershner of Middle Earth!

Essay winner of the Show us your Hobbit Pride Giveway!

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Jan 14 2010, 2:10pm

Post #5 of 13 (1915 views)
Shortcut
I would love to be able to help [In reply to] Can't Post

but I fear that this would only be possible if you were working on a Pig-Latin translation and even that would be tough. Good luck.

Kangi Ska

At night one cannot tell if crows are black or white.

Loresilme
Valinor

Jan 14 2010, 6:07pm

Post #6 of 13 (1892 views)
Shortcut
Sure!! I have the 2010 "One Latin Phrase a Day" desk calendar!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Will that help Sly???

Seriously, that is an awesome undertaking! I'm sorry I can't *really* help, but I will check out your progress and cheerlead! Good luck Smile!

digger

Jan 15 2010, 12:02am

Post #7 of 13 (1907 views)
Shortcut
Latin and Greek [In reply to] Can't Post

Great idea. I also thought about doing a Latin translation, but I'm more familiar with ancient Greek.

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Jan 15 2010, 12:23am

Post #8 of 13 (1854 views)
Shortcut
Very cool [In reply to] Can't Post

Sadly, it's been years since I last dusted off my Latin dictionary. Still, I'd love to watch your progress. Smile

My LiveJournal
My Costuming Site
TORn's Costume Discussions Archive
The Screencap of the Day Schedule for January

Eowyn of Penns Woods
Valinor

Jan 15 2010, 2:55am

Post #9 of 13 (1824 views)
Shortcut
Well... [In reply to] Can't Post

if it's anything like the English Christmas carols my Latin teacher converted for his students...it should be pretty hilarious. ;)

Michaeles Nagoda

Jan 15 2010, 7:59pm

Post #10 of 13 (1758 views)
Shortcut
thankyou! [In reply to] Can't Post

Everyone thanks so much for the encouragement and emails I've been getting! I already have one person who wants to help me translate, so this may become a joint effort! It'll be slow, but if you're willing to wait thirty years I'll still be here :P Keep em coming, I hope to start on page two sometime next week!

the_argonath
Lorien

Jan 15 2010, 10:41pm

Post #11 of 13 (1793 views)
Shortcut
It's strange how.... [In reply to] Can't Post

... there's a Harry Potter book in Latin, which is only 10 years old, and yet after all these years an official Latin LotR has not been published Crazy
I tried learning Latin during my study year in France last year... but to no avail Frown

~*Haudh-en-Ndengin the Elves named it, the Hill of Slain, and Haugh-en-Nirnaeth, the Hill of tears... the earth beneath which the swords of the Eldar and the Edain crumbled into rust*~

_V_
Lorien

Jan 16 2010, 1:09am

Post #12 of 13 (1783 views)
Shortcut
While I do know Latin, [In reply to] Can't Post

this would take some time

ReVolution of Evangelion

"Pleased to meet you, hope you guessed my name, but what's puzzling you, is the nature of my game"

Formerly known on TORN as "Draug the Unspeakably Violent"

Arwen_Undomiel
Lorien

Jan 16 2010, 3:00am

Post #13 of 13 (1810 views)
Shortcut
Ego would exsisto laetus [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm no expert, but I know Latin basically. How can I help?

“I want to be a role model for maybe that kid that feels he’s a little weird or she’s a little weird. The kid in school that doesn’t quite fit the mold, someone that wants to be different…” - Adam Lambert, top 13 interview.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.