Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
PJ: "No green light yet"
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

almas_sparks
Rohan

Dec 1 2009, 2:13pm

Post #51 of 60 (676 views)
Shortcut
Than I hope the studio will put the kibosh on favorism in major roles [In reply to] Can't Post

I don`t care if friends play creatures in heavy prostetics but they should not be cast in major roles and that includes voice of Smaug. Because they don`t fit. And because some people don`t want to see the same faces over and over again in similar roles. seriously, there is Ron Perlman overkill out there! Almost every direct-to-DVD genre movie has Ron Perlman. That`s so boring. Last thing I need is Ron Perlman in yet another fantasy movie. Like, enough is enough. Not to mention that he and Jones and Goss are from Hellboy movies. Sorry but no. There are other nice people out there who happen to be better actors and more suitable for major roles. Nice, talented people who didn`t star in Uwe Boll movie for crying out loud.

almas_sparks
Rohan

Dec 1 2009, 2:18pm

Post #52 of 60 (683 views)
Shortcut
In all due respect, Jones and Perlman aren`t Jimmy Stewart [In reply to] Can't Post

Jimmy was a major leading man. Masses wanted to see him and studios wantd him to headline movies. Not the same thing with Jones and Perlman. At all.

But was it boring? Oh, yeah. When a director keep working with the same people it gets tedious no matter how great collaboration turns out.

(This post was edited by almas_sparks on Dec 1 2009, 2:19pm)

almas_sparks
Rohan

Dec 1 2009, 2:27pm

Post #53 of 60 (750 views)
Shortcut
WB is just smarting up from The Watchmen brouhaha [In reply to] Can't Post

They greenlit that movie while the rights still belonged to Fox. Fox waited for the movie to be complete and than pressed charges. Now, since The Hobbit is much bigger player than The Watchmen, you bet WB doesn`t want to go through court settlement or profit sharing with MGM or Fox again if Fox succeeds in buying MGM over Warners. The Hobbit will be greenlit when there`s 100% no doubt that the studio has all the rights to make the movie under their logo and rake in money accordingly. That`s about it.

(This post was edited by almas_sparks on Dec 1 2009, 2:28pm)

olipowell
Bree

Dec 1 2009, 2:50pm

Post #54 of 60 (738 views)
Shortcut
If that's the case... [In reply to] Can't Post

and MGM go into Full administration the accountants in charge of the administration will want to sell off the parts quickly and where easiest. The company will be split up, not just sold as a whole. Ergo the percentage of rights MGM holds would surely go to Warner over Fox or anyone else as it makes the most sense...Fox/other studios may be after other aspects, the huge MGM archive, the logo etc etc. At the point where a business is going bust its a case of doing what makes sense, so where MGM already have some sort of deal RE: Hobbit rights with Warner I think it would be a major coup for anyone else to just come along and steal them. It's a bit diff to the Watchmen case really. and I dont think the financial adjudicators would be actively seeking a bidding war but rather get things resolved as quickly as poss?

Having said that, I don't think MGM are officially in administration at this point so again we probs wont find out until it's all done.

Do we know who has been paying for The Hobbit development costs up until this point? Surely Weta isn't covering these costs...? They must have spent close a few mil already...

almas_sparks
Rohan

Dec 1 2009, 3:02pm

Post #55 of 60 (639 views)
Shortcut
if they hired casting directors now... [In reply to] Can't Post

"Talent agents all over town are abuzz with word that casting directors for The Hobbit have been hired in London and L.A."(Hollywood Insider, see the link in the post above)

I`m a bit confused as whether casting agents are looking for Bilbo and other actors or other actors while Bilbo is cast and waiting in the dark. This is because GDT said long time ago that they narrowed down their casting choice to one but nothing was set in stone. Then, PJ said no casting before the script is finished. Afterwards, ian McKellen said he knew who would play BIlbo and that fans would be pleased. Now PJ confirmed that the first script is finished and Entertainment Weekly (pretty reliable source) says industry is abuzz about The Hobbit casting agents opening offices in LA and London. So it started but question is if they are looking for Bilbo or Bilbo is already done deal waiting for the right moment to be revealed. Or, as it usually happens, there was the first choice but that fell through and they have to find another.

(This post was edited by almas_sparks on Dec 1 2009, 3:04pm)

PettyMim
Rivendell

Dec 1 2009, 3:23pm

Post #56 of 60 (667 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for the reminder! [In reply to] Can't Post

Of course, Born of Hope! Can't wait to see it Wink I don't think that map has a specific name other than Thrors map. I could never get my head round how East was at the top.

olipowell
Bree

Dec 1 2009, 3:55pm

Post #57 of 60 (705 views)
Shortcut
Realistically... [In reply to] Can't Post

The Casting Director will be used primarily for smaller roles this time around I would have thought...I doubt they are using a CD for Bilbo and main dwarfs for example but the Casting directors will issue breakdowns for the smaller dwarf roles and then the elves and main goblins etc...

on LOTR I think all of the characters had a breakdown issued for them but I can't see that happening now since there will already be front-runners as you say and realistically I think Bilbo now knows who he is...

Then very small roles though (actors only on set for a few days) will probs all be cast from NZ or at a push Oz...purely for the logistical and cost reasons of having to fly people over from US or UK for only a few days, and sorting work visa's etc...

My agent seems to know who the London CD is but I'm waiting confirmation before I say it...just in case it's wrong and I make a tit of myself...haha

Eldorion
Gondor

Dec 1 2009, 6:53pm

Post #58 of 60 (710 views)
Shortcut
There's PJ himself [In reply to] Can't Post

Who referenced the green light himself a few months ago (sometime around Comic-Con if I recall correctly). Since neither he nor GDT have - to my knowledge - made any statements to the contrary since then I trust this article.

My cat takes after me:

almas_sparks
Rohan

Dec 1 2009, 7:04pm

Post #59 of 60 (685 views)
Shortcut
keep us posted [In reply to] Can't Post

I don`t want Bilbo to be already cast because it`s scary to look at actor`s schedule and go "Dang, this one that I really don`t like has nothing lined up in 2010 and that one that I really like is booked." But if he isn`t cast and the casting has started recently, than there`s hope.

(This post was edited by almas_sparks on Dec 1 2009, 7:05pm)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Dec 2 2009, 2:06am

Post #60 of 60 (621 views)
Shortcut
Of course not. [In reply to] Can't Post

I was only pointing out that other directors like using people they're comfortable with. :)

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."
~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.