Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Video-interview with Guillermo del Toro on Youtube about Die Saat (The Strain) with new revelation about The Hobbit:

Theodred
Lorien

Nov 8 2009, 11:24pm

Post #1 of 24 (21346 views)
Shortcut
Video-interview with Guillermo del Toro on Youtube about Die Saat (The Strain) with new revelation about The Hobbit: Can't Post

A new video on Youtube has been placed with Guillermo del Toro, with a German voice-over translated interview, in which Guillermo del Toro revealed new information about The Hobbit (From 03:35):

Comment voice-over: "Everything's a big secret, but there's something he still wants to reveal nonetheless."
Guillermo del Toro (translated): "In The Hobbit I will play a small monster. I will transform myself in a small creature, not an important monster, just a type 'background'."

He also said he will take with him to New Zealand duplicates from 350 books of his library, that he always takes with him. Besides, he will take 3000 movies with him that he wants to see, no matter what, because they are his favorite movies.

You can watch the video here:

Code

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLCUzA6KMEw
http://www.ladyofrohan.com/funeralsong.wav

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 8 2009, 11:54pm

Post #2 of 24 (16346 views)
Shortcut
Now *that's* how you do a cameo! [In reply to] Can't Post

But I wonder, will viewers be able to spot the Guillermo critter or will GDT be too transformed for us to tell?

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Nov 9 2009, 12:40am

Post #3 of 24 (16555 views)
Shortcut
Might we have a pleasantly plump Goblin in our future...? [In reply to] Can't Post

Or will he have mandibles hanging off of his face as a lovably rotund Spider of Mirkwood? Tongue

Hellmistress
Lorien

Nov 9 2009, 1:11am

Post #4 of 24 (16153 views)
Shortcut
He's done this before ... [In reply to] Can't Post

... as a Halloween dragon in HELLBOY, and he used to do makeup and play monsters back in the day. So keep your eyes peeled ... ;)

HM

Steelsheen
The Shire

Nov 9 2009, 7:15am

Post #5 of 24 (16183 views)
Shortcut
a Goblin PA? [In reply to] Can't Post

initially i thought GDT could be one of the dwarfs (looking pretty dwarfish himself Tongue) but he did say creature, could he play one of the sub-goblins of the Goblin King?

speaking of cameo appearances, what about good 'ol PJ? wouldnt want to break tradition and not be in an LOTR (related) movie.

Elven
Valinor

Nov 9 2009, 4:49pm

Post #6 of 24 (16231 views)
Shortcut
I remember him saying ... [In reply to] Can't Post

(tongue in cheek) he and Peter would be running around in the background with their T-shirts over their heads - and I was REALLY hoping to see that! Please do that in the blooper/outake reel.

But it does make me think he might cameo 'with' PJ! That would be cool!

.. and here's GdT and Mike Mignola in the Hellboy cameo Smile

(Oversized image removed - sorry Elven. Ataahua.)

Swishtail.

Tolkien was a Capricorn!!
Russell Crowe for Beorn!!

Avatar: Liberace - The other Lord of the Rings.

Quote of The Week: The thing is I always write in the morning, and I know that if I go to the Net I won’t write ... you can start in the most scholarly website and end up at Paris Hilton dot com .. GdT

(This post was edited by Ataahua on Nov 9 2009, 5:50pm)

dormouse
Half-elven

Nov 9 2009, 6:39pm

Post #7 of 24 (16173 views)
Shortcut
It's a pity... [In reply to] Can't Post

... the Argonath doesn't appear in The Hobbit Wink

(psst... I'm only joking!)

Elven
Valinor

Nov 9 2009, 7:17pm

Post #8 of 24 (16198 views)
Shortcut
LOL!!! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Swishtail.

Quote of The Week: The thing is I always write in the morning, and I know that if I go to the Net I won’t write ... you can start in the most scholarly website and end up at Paris Hilton dot com .. GdT

Guillermo
Rivendell

Nov 9 2009, 9:45pm

Post #9 of 24 (19516 views)
Shortcut
Creature [In reply to] Can't Post

I had a hand on the design of the creature and I will personally sculpt the appliances that will be applied on my face and hands. I used to sculpt the creatures for NECROPIA (my FX company) and I miss it a bit.

I will have a line or two and die quickly.

G

Theodred
Lorien

Nov 9 2009, 10:01pm

Post #10 of 24 (16175 views)
Shortcut
Thank you Guillermo, [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm looking forward to find out which creature you are. Maybe it's possible to wave, to make it a bit easier for us? Tongue
But anyway, since you're playing in The Hobbit yourself, you're officially now a member of the cast, so there's one more actor to add to the list on IMDB: Smile

Code

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLCUzA6KMEw
http://www.ladyofrohan.com/funeralsong.wav

PettyMim
Rivendell

Nov 9 2009, 10:17pm

Post #11 of 24 (16017 views)
Shortcut
Souns like fun.... [In reply to] Can't Post

we could have used your skills at halloween - my daugher was supposed to look like a vampire but she ended up looking more like a clown!

Mark Sommer
Rivendell

Nov 10 2009, 2:26am

Post #12 of 24 (15932 views)
Shortcut
Goblin? [In reply to] Can't Post

Look for the Goblin with a Hispanic accent.Smile

Mark Sommer
Hollywood Jesus The Hobbit Whole

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 10 2009, 2:51am

Post #13 of 24 (15994 views)
Shortcut
Speak, fiend, and expire! [In reply to] Can't Post

But what fun - thank you for the heads-up! Smile

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

"It struck me last night that you might write a fearfully good romantic drama, with as much of the 'supernatural' as you cared to introduce. Have you ever thought of it?"
-Geoffrey B. Smith, letter to JRR Tolkien, 1915

mae govannen
Tol Eressea

Nov 10 2009, 3:28am

Post #14 of 24 (16117 views)
Shortcut
Psst, Guillermo!... About that 'New Argonath' drawing [In reply to] Can't Post

with you and PJ as the two statues:
as you expressed the wish to get a copy of it, you'll find it waiting for you in that thread about 'Total Film' (and your interview for it) where you wrote an answer, 'the Ladies', to a post of mine, and then declared that 'New Argonath' drawing on my posts to be 'Beautiful!'.
I have had the idea for it, and TORnsib grammaboodawg drew it, so both of us have posted there for you some background documentation, along with the real size drawing by gramma.
We are glad and honored to present this little fun gift to you and PJ!...

'Is everything sad going to come untrue?'
(Sam, 'The Field of Cormallen', in 'The Return of the King'.)

Glorfindel
Rivendell

Nov 10 2009, 4:59am

Post #15 of 24 (15976 views)
Shortcut
Gotta be spiders, no? [In reply to] Can't Post

I can't figure out how to do the fancy quoty thing but here's what Mr GDT said in the Totalfilm article.

"Well, they are the progeny of Shelob, but Shelob was quite a promiscuous girl [laughs]. She mated with many partners. And insects and spiders are incredibly adaptable creatures. There will be spiders… [Laughs]
That sounds like a Paul Thomas Anderson sequel: There Will Be Spiders! But they are visually quite striking and in a different way to Shelob.

I wish I could tell you more but I would be spoiling it again. They are very different. They are more creatures of the shadow, more creatures of the deep forest. They are not earth nesting. They are nesting in the canopies so physically they have adapted to that environment."

Oooh, oooh.... and he also says in his post that he personally crafted the appendages (or something) that go on his face and hands and if the spiders are nesting in the canopies they need claws to climb the trees. Did you know that all spiders have two claws on their feet but web-spinning ones have three? As if they weren't creep enough already. And Mr GDT is afraid of spiders so maybe this is a way of overcoming his fear.

Or maybe I'm just spinning a web of lies...

orcbane
Gondor

Nov 10 2009, 6:10am

Post #16 of 24 (15862 views)
Shortcut
Monster ? [In reply to] Can't Post

I like the idea of the people behind the camera (or computer) getting to be in the movie. It seems a nice reward for the work you don't see.

But 'Monster' has me puzzled.

It could mean a Goblin, or Spider, or Warg, etc. (or 'Hobgoblin' which is meantioned in the book & I would like to see interpreted) And I am kind of really hoping it does mean one of those.

Not sure newly invented creatures, outside of the flora and fauna of Middle Earth will work for me.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Notice: Due to financial difficulties, The West has been sold and its Valinor branch closed. Interested parties should go on the Web, to IntotheEast.com for further information.

Elven
Valinor

Nov 10 2009, 10:57am

Post #17 of 24 (15842 views)
Shortcut
Cant wait for that ... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I had a hand on the design of the creature and I will personally sculpt the appliances that will be applied on my face and hands. I used to sculpt the creatures for NECROPIA (my FX company) and I miss it a bit.

I will have a line or two and die quickly.

G

Sounds like more fun!
Speculation time ... I was thinking Spider (like others here) - but that might rule out a double cameo with PJ, as he would might scare himself to death - nothing screams louder, sweats more, or runs faster than an aracnofobe in a spiders costume trying to get away from its self ... maybe thats a good thing - PJ could faint at the end of it and you can call 'cut' Wink

Im so looking forward to seeing what you have come up with.
Cheers GdT
Elven

and ppls - here's the smaller version of GdT (Dragon) and Mike Mignola (Knight) in Hellboy cameo mode - sorry the last one was a bit big...

Swishtail.

Woodyend
Gondor

Nov 10 2009, 5:09pm

Post #18 of 24 (15830 views)
Shortcut
"I can't figure out how to do the fancy quoty thing" [In reply to] Can't Post

Here you go.

First highlight what you’d like in quotations, then click this button found just under the subject window.

May your beer be laid under an enchantment of surpassing excellence for seven years!
~~~~~~~~Gandalf~~~~~~~

Listen. Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony!

Jazmine
Tol Eressea

Nov 10 2009, 6:07pm

Post #19 of 24 (15744 views)
Shortcut
Oooh I'll look forward to that! [In reply to] Can't Post

It'll be fun looking out for you!

Idril Celebrindal
Tol Eressea

Nov 10 2009, 8:44pm

Post #20 of 24 (15660 views)
Shortcut
Even better! [In reply to] Can't Post

Could Guillermo be one of the three trolls? Or the Great Goblin? I guess we'll just have to wait and see! Cool

As for wargs, I'm totally jazzed that they are going to be beautiful, sinister, and wolfish. Couldn't abide the hyena wargs.

With caffeine, all things are possible.

The pity of Bilbo will screw up the fate of many.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Glorfindel
Rivendell

Nov 10 2009, 10:28pm

Post #21 of 24 (15766 views)
Shortcut
Thank you! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm a bit of a luddite when it comes to these things. Should get my 13 year old to post instead!

Cass
The Shire

Nov 11 2009, 12:39am

Post #22 of 24 (15650 views)
Shortcut
... [In reply to] Can't Post

Well at least its something. :P

When you left, you left an empty void in my heart that I can't fill, no matter how hard I try.

deej
Tol Eressea

Nov 11 2009, 1:28pm

Post #23 of 24 (15599 views)
Shortcut
Then I guess you're not going to be playing Smaug? [In reply to] Can't Post

Wink That would be pretty cool, though.

Looking forward to seeing what you and the rest of the team have come up with!

"...and back again."

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Nov 12 2009, 5:28pm

Post #24 of 24 (15463 views)
Shortcut
That'll be fun! [In reply to] Can't Post

a mini-Hellboy-gollumesque-gobliny thing? ;)

I think cameos are a hoot! They become one of the highlights I look for throughtout LotR!

I think Mike M & your cameos as a knight and a dragon in Hellboy I was very prophetic ;)

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."
~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.