Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
LOTR producer plans Muhammad biopic

News from Bree
spymaster@theonering.net

Nov 2 2009, 6:06pm

Post #1 of 12 (1191 views)
Shortcut
LOTR producer plans Muhammad biopic Can't Post

barrieosborne.jpgBarrie Osborne, part of the Oscar-winning team behind the Lord of the Rings films, says the new production 'will educate people about the true meaning of Islam.' Producer Barrie Osborne cast Keanu Reeves as the messiah in The Matrix and helped defeat the dark lord Sauron in his record-breaking Lord of the Rings trilogy. Now the Oscar-winning American film-maker is set to embark on his most perilous quest to date: making a big-screen biopic of the prophet Muhammad. [Read More]

L. Ron Halfelven
Grey Havens

Nov 2 2009, 6:00pm

Post #2 of 12 (615 views)
Shortcut
A biopic in which the subject does not appear is... unusual./ [In reply to] Can't Post

"Boe ammen A-Rod veriad lÓn. Andelu Yankees i ven!"

"Merin le Mo Rivera telim. Henio, anŪron 44 saves boe ammen 1.76 ERA i dulu lÓn!"

"Andelu A-rod ven."

Idril Celebrindal
Tol Eressea

Nov 3 2009, 2:59am

Post #3 of 12 (609 views)
Shortcut
Gutsy ... [In reply to] Can't Post

No matter how he approaches this movie, vast swaths of people will be ticked off at him.

With caffeine, all things are possible.

The pity of Bilbo will screw up the fate of many.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 3 2009, 3:19am

Post #4 of 12 (614 views)
Shortcut
Also, maybe it's just me but... [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't trust any biopic to present the "real", let alone a complete or unbiased story about anyone. The need to present a "good story" has a way of overwhelming mere facts.

Silverlode

"Of all faces those of our familiares are the ones both most difficult to play fantastic tricks with, and most difficult really to see with fresh attention. They have become like the things which once attracted us by their glitter, or their colour, or their shape, and we laid hands on them, and then locked them in our hoard, acquired them, and acquiring ceased to look at them.
Creative fantasy, because it is mainly trying to do something else [make something new], may open your hoard and let all the locked things fly away like cage-birds. The gems all turn into flowers or flames, and you will be warned that all you had (or knew) was dangerous and potent, not really effectively chained, free and wild; no more yours than they were you."
-On Fairy Stories

Morthoron
Gondor

Nov 3 2009, 3:29am

Post #5 of 12 (594 views)
Shortcut
Yes...very odd. [In reply to] Can't Post

"In accordance with Islamic law, the prophet will not actually be depicted on screen."

Perhaps he will appear as a great, flaming lidless eye atop a tower. Oh, sorry, wrong fictional allegoric characterization. Hmmm...it seems there are plenty of depictions of Muhammed from the Middle-Ages, many of which appear in early Korans: http://zombietime.com/...ive/islamic_mo_full/

Touchy subject, I guess. I wonder if they ever lifted the fatwa (death sentence) against Salman Rushdie for being blasphemous against Islam. I wonder if Barrie Osborne ever considered that perhaps he may find himself under a fatwa as well. Well, it's publicity, I suppose, and it will sell theater tickets.

"Of course, America had often been discovered before Columbus; but it had always been hushed up." --Oscar Wilde

Sunflower
Valinor

Nov 3 2009, 5:41am

Post #6 of 12 (601 views)
Shortcut
Huh? [In reply to] Can't Post

I know that in traditional Islamic art, Mohommed was depicted as a figure with a veil over his face. His body was depicted, it's not like he wasn't allowed to be seen. So how so we go from that, to a more "modern" attitude in which it would be sacreligious to depict him in any way at all? Why can't Osborne be allowed to do what Western film-makers used to do with onscreen depictions of Jesus--have him shown from a distance, a back angle, etc, from the chest down, etc, as long as we don't see his face.

That's just one of the many headaches. I applaud Osborne for seemingly "covering his tracks" in advance, but methinks he is walking into a minefield here that will make Scorcese's "Last Temptation of Christ" pale in comparison.

1)Sunni/Shiite dispute:
--The Quataris, Osbornne's patrons for the project, are Sunni, as is most of the Islamic world. The Iranians, upon whom no love is lost for many in the Islamic world as their (Shiite) power grows geopolitically, may take issue with...um, some parts of the film. I trust Osborne will do his best to steer clear of the whole theological source of the Sunni/Shiite split (who was Mohommed's real successor), but even if he does...depending on the amount of screen time he gives for certain characters surrounding the Prophet, who in future would be involved in the dispute...I mean, these were family members so it's not like he'll be able to avoid talking about them...oh boy.

2)Christians and Jews....considering that (correct me if I'm wrong, I read the Koran a LONG time ago, and it was difficult for me to get through at first), tradition has it that Mohommed didn't really "die", but ascended to Heaven upon a white horse--from the spot in Jerusalem where the Al-As'qua mosque now stands...thus justifying the site's spot as the third-holiest site in Islam....the article says he means to go up to the Prophet's death...how could he possibly depict this without setting off a firestorm? Not gonna win him many friends in certain places!

3)There may be the usual cries of "Why should a Christian make this...much less an American" etc (the fact that Osborne gave up his US citizenship won't matter much to some people).

I wish him all the best...he will need every scrap of luck and blessing he can get. Such a film would have been controversial 10 yrs ago...but in this current volatile era....

(as this is promising to be a "political" subject...I will humbly bow out of this thread in future...but thought I'd share my thoughts.Smile

(This post was edited by Sunflower on Nov 3 2009, 5:44am)

Annael
Half-elven

Nov 3 2009, 4:20pm

Post #7 of 12 (565 views)
Shortcut
no [In reply to] Can't Post

The fatwa against Rushdie is still in force - apparently only the person who issues a fatwa can rescind it, and the Ayatollah Khomeni is dead. But no one seems to be actually pursuing it & Rushdie has said he doesn't worry about it.

The way we imagine our lives is the way we are going to go on living our lives.

- James Hillman, Healing Fiction

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

the_Big_X
The Shire

Nov 3 2009, 8:28pm

Post #8 of 12 (574 views)
Shortcut
Good God [In reply to] Can't Post

He better get bodyguards.

This has already been done before - The Message (1976) with Anthony Quinn - and that was highly controversial. I can imagine with things as they are now, a movie like this would just be throwing gasoline on the fire.

I don't know what the Muslims will find more offensive: that they're portraying Muhammad, or that they're casting Keanu Reeves as him.

The Midnight Gang's Assembled...

(This post was edited by the_Big_X on Nov 3 2009, 8:36pm)

Morthoron
Gondor

Nov 5 2009, 4:03am

Post #9 of 12 (531 views)
Shortcut
Ummm.... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I don't know what the Muslims will find more offensive: that they're portraying Muhammad, or that they're casting Keanu Reeves as him.

I think you misread the article. Keanu Reeves will not be playing Muhammad. I would be offended if Keanu Reeves had that role, and I'm not a Muslim.

"Of course, America had often been discovered before Columbus; but it had always been hushed up." --Oscar Wilde

Farawyn
Rohan

Nov 6 2009, 4:04pm

Post #10 of 12 (524 views)
Shortcut
I'm offended that Keanu Reeves has a career! [In reply to] Can't Post

KIDding!!!
(kinda)

Disclaimer: The author of this message does not guarantee correct grammar, spelling or English usage. No responsibility can be accepted for the use of this message as a guide to written English.
Discuss:
Photobucket

Morthoron
Gondor

Nov 7 2009, 2:42am

Post #11 of 12 (515 views)
Shortcut
Me too...kinda... [In reply to] Can't Post

'I'm offended that Keanu Reeves has a career!'

Yet another fine graduate of the William Shatner School of Emoting.

the_Big_X
The Shire

Nov 7 2009, 6:07am

Post #12 of 12 (506 views)
Shortcut
Oh, yeah [In reply to] Can't Post

I did in fact misread the article. I thought that was kind of weird.

The Midnight Gang's Assembled...

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.