Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Voice of Gollum Finalists!

News from Bree
spymaster@theonering.net

Sep 15 2009, 5:16pm

Post #1 of 14 (1479 views)
Shortcut
Voice of Gollum Finalists! Can't Post

Trying to make Comic-Con a bit more Tolkien-centric, and to have a little extra fun and the world's biggest celebration of pop-culture, we (TheOneRing.net) brought in the crowds at Comic Con in San Diego for a fun competition. With no space at the convention to call our own, we went to Weta for an assist and they provided a perfect setting to hold a "Voice of Gollum," contest.

A collection of fun-loving convention attendees and some awesome Gollum impersonators stepped in front of the Slaveboy Films' cameras and impressed TORn, Weta and everybody stopping to look on. We asked Weta to choose the best entries, and the guys at Slaveboy Films have put together a fantastic video of the Top Ten.

Weta has also agreed to donate 20 Weta Dollars (worth US$20 dollars) to each of the Top Ten entries. Now it's your turn. Weta are going to assist TORn with the voting. Out of these 10 masterful impersonators, only one can be said to possess the true voice of Gollum and therefore be allowed to take home a swag-bag of extra goodies; a TORn T-shirt, a Weta T-shirt, 30 more Weta Dollars, a Weta keyring and a Lord of the Rings Location Guide book. Who is it going to be? Vote Today!

weathertop
Rohan

Sep 15 2009, 5:44pm

Post #2 of 14 (746 views)
Shortcut
aww...can't see the results? [In reply to] Can't Post

calisuri
PTB

Sep 15 2009, 7:11pm

Post #3 of 14 (674 views)
Shortcut
Not Yet! [In reply to] Can't Post

The Mysterious Calisuri

Nesse
Lorien

Sep 15 2009, 7:13pm

Post #4 of 14 (713 views)
Shortcut
Awesome [In reply to] Can't Post

I closed my eyes when I listened to them some of them were amazing (opened them ofc to see who it was)

Patty
Immortal

Sep 15 2009, 7:36pm

Post #5 of 14 (714 views)
Shortcut
Fantastic! Oh man, I can't decide!~ [In reply to] Can't Post

how long do we have? I've got to listen again several times.

Permanent address: Into the West

Glaurung63
Lorien

Sep 16 2009, 2:34am

Post #6 of 14 (633 views)
Shortcut
what have I got in my pockets...es.... [In reply to] Can't Post

On my facebook, too fantastic not to share....I can't make my voice do anything close to these dudes....

Thorgaz

Sep 16 2009, 4:34am

Post #7 of 14 (618 views)
Shortcut
nice! [In reply to] Can't Post

Fascinating! I love what Serkis did with Gollum's voice! After watching this I wanted to hear more so I hit up youtube in search of more Gollum impressions. Some were good, some were really bad. What do ya'll think of this one?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3iuy_YetZg

MrCere
Sr. Staff

Sep 16 2009, 5:58am

Post #8 of 14 (643 views)
Shortcut
Best costume ever! [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't know if very many of you will pick up on it but the guy named Obi-Shawn is dressed as a Steve Sansweet. It is a brilliant costume as Sansweet is a spokesman for Lucasfilm who does a lot of promotional work at places like Comic-Con.

His critics call him a shill for Lucasfilm and there are others glad to hear him do Lucas Film commercials live at Comic-Con. I met and talked to him in an elevator once and he was nice enough.

For me the costume is so great because it looks like him and because the idea of the costume is so original and funny. Below is the real guy. I don't think he will win but I voted for him anyway because he is so funny. The day we filmed all the contestants I just couldn't stop laughing about Steve Sansweet. Thought I better share.

I did really like his Yoda speech pattern insert into his Gollum voice and he did sound pretty good.

I am curious, really really curious, who will win.

I have no choice but to believe in free will.

The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie

My blog

(This post was edited by MrCere on Sep 16 2009, 6:01am)

stormcrow20
Gondor

Sep 16 2009, 7:25am

Post #9 of 14 (624 views)
Shortcut
Look out, Andy! [In reply to] Can't Post

You've got some serious competition! Laugh

"Expect me when you see me."

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 16 2009, 2:32pm

Post #10 of 14 (623 views)
Shortcut
Wow! That was hard to choose from! [In reply to] Can't Post

Those guys are AWESOME! Uh... no Smeagirl/Girllums outside of TORn, eh? ;)

*applause* Well Done!

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."
~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists

Dwana
The Shire

Sep 16 2009, 4:53pm

Post #11 of 14 (606 views)
Shortcut
Thank you [In reply to] Can't Post

for explaining that. I thought he just couldn't figure out which one he was trying to mimic.

DarthNeeson
The Shire

Sep 16 2009, 9:41pm

Post #12 of 14 (621 views)
Shortcut
Anything they can do, I can do better... [In reply to] Can't Post

If I had gone to Comic Con, I totally would have won this competition. Not only can I do a spot-on Gollum impersonation, but I can also do the Joker, Yoda, Sean Connery, and others. Check it out!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dy-HKEWmrpQ

Ainu Laire
Tol Eressea

Sep 17 2009, 12:47am

Post #13 of 14 (584 views)
Shortcut
These were great [In reply to] Can't Post

Some were better than others, but they all were really well done. I limited it to three the first go around, and was able to choose one finally at the end.

When will the voting end?

My LiveJournal ~ My artwork and photography ~ My LOTR fan fiction

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
NARF since age 8, when I refused to read the Hobbit because the cover looked boring and icky.

mattforce7

Nov 17 2009, 6:24am

Post #14 of 14 (531 views)
Shortcut
Hrmmm....Not to boast... [In reply to] Can't Post

Im pretty sure i do a much more convincing gollum and smeagol impression. I will post it up soon. I used to have a website, Gollums Precious, stopped updating years ago, originated to host my impressions.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.