Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:

calisuri
PTB

Aug 20 2009, 7:29pm

Post #1 of 25 (1920 views)
Shortcut

Apple - Trailers - James Cameron_s AvatarThe much hyped and highly anticipated reveal of James Cameron's AVATAR trailer has just hit the web. Spielberg predicts it will be the biggest 3-D live-action film ever. The cost for this single film is said to overshoot the entire budget for the LOTR Trilogy. Check it out, and tell us what you think about it in our forum! BTW - you may be wondering...how is this fodder for TORn? Well, WETA was involved with the production! [AVATAR Trailer]

The Mysterious Calisuri

weathertop
Rohan

Aug 20 2009, 8:20pm

Post #2 of 25 (808 views)
Shortcut
holy heck [In reply to] Can't Post

thats a lot of CGI!

Patty
Immortal

Aug 20 2009, 8:29pm

Post #3 of 25 (787 views)
Shortcut
Oh man! [In reply to] Can't Post

Will THAT be a day at the show! This is something that WILL get me back in the theaters. It looks awesome. I hope it really shows up what 3 D can do, so that it might be considered for The Hobbit. This looks to be a real immersive experience.

Permanent address: Into the West

NarWilliams

Aug 20 2009, 10:06pm

Post #4 of 25 (765 views)
Shortcut
Gorgeous... [In reply to] Can't Post

I was fortunate enough to see the 25 minutes of screened footage at Comic-con. The geography and biology of the planet is so lush, colorful, and exotic, reminding me at times of Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind or my favorite illustrations from a Dungeons & Dragons rule book.

The teaser trailer is awesome. I am so ready for an aerial battle between dragon riders and mech suits!!!

Kyriel
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 20 2009, 10:18pm

Post #5 of 25 (794 views)
Shortcut
Huh, much less photo-realistic than I'd hoped [In reply to] Can't Post

So they spent more on this one movie than New Line did on all of LotR? Then why is it (especially after all the years that have passed) that these CGI characters only look half as convincing as Gollum did?

I do like the floating islands, though. Smile

Those left standing will make millions writing books on the way it should have been. --Incubus

MrCere
Sr. Staff

Aug 21 2009, 12:01am

Post #6 of 25 (779 views)
Shortcut
I am telling Weta! [In reply to] Can't Post

Like another poster, I saw 15 or 20 or 25 minutes of this at Comic-Con in 3D.

This trailer doesn't do it justice and I thought it was every bit as good as Gollum but on a larger scale. And, the story captivated me as well. I am completely hooked.

I have no choice but to believe in free will.

The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie

My blog

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 21 2009, 12:25am

Post #7 of 25 (791 views)
Shortcut
Beautiful, but [In reply to] Can't Post

I have no idea what the story is about. This teaser seemed to be focused on showing the high-quality production, but it did nothing to entice the casual observer to see the movie.

I'm a firm believer that the story should come first, but I can't escape the feeling in Avatar that the story is secondary to the WOW factor.

Each cloak was fastened about the neck with a brooch like a green leaf veined with silver.

`Are these magic cloaks? ' asked Pippin, looking at them with wonder.

`I do not know what you mean by that,' answered the leader of the Elves.

NARF since 1974.
Balin Bows

(This post was edited by entmaiden on Aug 21 2009, 12:26am)

Annael
Immortal

Aug 21 2009, 1:43am

Post #8 of 25 (694 views)
Shortcut
Looks very cool [In reply to] Can't Post

I'll probably go see it in the theater - looks like it has to be seen on the big screen.

The way we imagine our lives is the way we are going to go on living our lives.

- James Hillman, Healing Fiction

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

tiamy
Rivendell

Aug 21 2009, 2:59am

Post #9 of 25 (720 views)
Shortcut
Meh! [In reply to] Can't Post

I didn't find it visually arresting. It's like a CGI overload. I actually find the Lovely Bones' heaven sequences in the trailer a lot better.

I have high expectations for this movie that's why I ended up disappointed. It feels like I've seen this whole thing before..nothing new about it. Maybe the 3D thing is what will give this movie its wow factor. Someone has to be blamed for overhyping this movie.

Maybe we could get a better trailer soon..

Buchanicus
Lorien

Aug 21 2009, 8:08am

Post #10 of 25 (669 views)
Shortcut
Yes. [In reply to] Can't Post

I was much more "inspired/impressed" by The Lovely Bones FX as well.

That bewing said, I thought that the Avatar trailer looked very, very cool...but I was not blown away by what I saw in the way that it's been suggested that I might. It looked like really great CG work and epic moviemaking (which I love), but I think after all that's been hyped and that I've read, I guess I was expecting more...and perhaps upon release I will be blown away.

I will be fortunate enough to attend a "screening" of scenes from the film tomorrow night (or tonight depending how you look at it) at an IMAX theater in 3D. I for one am not sold, or even very much interested, in 3D. It's never THAT impressive to me, and I find wearing the glasses to be tedious and annoying, especially sionce I myself wear my own glasses. So, as far as that aspect of the film goes, I really need to be impressed.

TORn member formally known as ryan1976.

calisuri
PTB

Aug 21 2009, 11:40am

Post #11 of 25 (683 views)
Shortcut
My honest opinion... [In reply to] Can't Post

So James Cameron has not done a major motion picture since Titanic. And that - is why I consider this trailer (and eventually the movie) an epic failure.

1. The lesson of 'too much CG' was learned with the Star Wars Trilogy.
2. Maybe Cameron didn't watch the three LOTR films, where CG and real sets and characters combined seamlessly into an amazing series of films with multiple Oscars
3. I have a feeling Cameron has been in a cave working on this project for 10 years and the industry has passed him by.

Even if the story is good, I can't get over the video game nature of the footage. Its like Abe Sapien (from Hellboy) and the Clone Troopers in Star Wars are having a war!

I know a lot of people have a tough time accepting that Cameron can make something bad, and thus are giving him a chance - but you have to call a spade a spade. I hope when we see the first footage of Hobbit, I'll have the guts to call it as I see it. I have a sneaking suspicion that the Hobbit will not look like a video game. Thank God we don't have Cameron directing it!!!

*end rant*

The Mysterious Calisuri

Ainu Laire
Tol Eressea

Aug 21 2009, 12:15pm

Post #12 of 25 (662 views)
Shortcut
It looks like... CGI [In reply to] Can't Post

I remember the huge hype from everyone who saw the preview of Avatar at the Comic Con, so I was surprised to find that I was very... not blown away by this trailer. Gollum looked real. These creatures look like CGI.

I'll wait until the reviews come in...

My LiveJournal ~ My artwork and photography ~ My LOTR fan fiction

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
NARF since age 8, when I refused to read the Hobbit because the cover looked boring and icky.

eluv22

Aug 21 2009, 1:39pm

Post #13 of 25 (648 views)
Shortcut
I'd Rather See Avatar: The Last Airbender [In reply to] Can't Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0ZjjMBXMpk
I think this Avatar movie looks much better. Too bad Cameron wouldn't let them actually use the name Avatar!

weathertop
Rohan

Aug 21 2009, 3:00pm

Post #14 of 25 (613 views)
Shortcut
you'll have to let us know [In reply to] Can't Post

what you think, it might be good hearing from someone without rose-tinted glasses...they're not tinted are they?! Tongue

Garfeimao
Rohan

Aug 21 2009, 4:04pm

Post #15 of 25 (627 views)
Shortcut
There is a story, and real live actors as well [In reply to] Can't Post

I saw the footage at comic con as well and discovered that there is a story. I can't watch the trailer, my computer at work won't let me, so I'm not seeing what you guys are seeing, but I'm quite sure it's not as impressive as it could be because it's not in 3D on your computer screens. And while a complete 3D film experience hasn't really excited me in years, it's because of how it's been used up to now.

Most 3D films in recent years have been all about the gimmick, uses mostly in scifi and horror films. I mean, you can only have so many knives thrown out into the audience, or bad guys jump in your lap so many times before you tune out the gimmick. Very few 3D films have used the effect to enrich the film series, and it's mostly been done with the IMAX nature series. When Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix came out and used 20 minutes of 3D, it was to enhance the film experience for that big duel between the kids and the OoTP adults and the Death Eaters. It made sense and it served the story, and it's that kind of use of the 3D technology that might make me want to see a 3D film, not just the gimmicky nature of it.

That being said, what I saw at comic con did not involve gimmicks or tricks to excite the audience. The 3D aspect just seems to enrich the filmic experience the way that surround sound enriches the listening aspect. It draws you in and makes you feel like you are standing just off to the side of where the action is taking place, but does not detract from the story in any way.

Yes, the visuals are stunning and very CGI, but the entire film does not take place on the distant planet surface, some of it takes place in a lab with real actors in real sets too. I have no idea what the final mix will be, it's probably more to the Planet surface side than in the lab, but it's not all going to be CGI.

And to address the story, think of it as: Scientist want to explore and study this beautiful planet and the military feels very threatened by the native population and takes its job to protect the scientists very seriously, which will cause a conflict of some sort down the line. Our main character has a very real world motive for volunteering for the Avatar project, to connect his mind to a genetically enhanced body in order to explore the planet, but I'm not going to go into that. Oh, and Sigourney Weaver is the head scientist.

Personally, I was impressed with the footage I saw, and not because of James Cameron, because truth be told, I'm not a big fan of Titanic, I prefer Alien and the Abyss myself, but this footage I did see was quite breathtaking. And I hope to see more of the same tonight when I go to the Avatar Day screening.

Peace, Love and Rock & Roll,

Garfeimao
The orange stripey One

Cruise to Middle earth

Brandybuckled
Lorien

Aug 21 2009, 4:56pm

Post #16 of 25 (660 views)
Shortcut
As another one who saw the 20+ min 3D trailer at ComiCon, I agree... [In reply to] Can't Post

It looked incredible. Weta did a ****ing brilliant job with the planet.

The people who are complaining about the "too CGI" stuff, have any of you seen it in 3D on a large screen yet? Because if your opinion is based on a mid-res 2D viewing on [a section of] your computer's monitor, it's safe to say you really haven't seen what it's really like yet.

As for Cameron, let's take a look at some of what he's done to date:
Aliens, Abyss, Terminator, T2, Titanic...

Based on classic literature? No.
Cerebral? Perhaps not.
Oscar-winning [Titanic notwithstanding]? Maybe for the effects.
Michael Bay blow **** up with nothing else to show? **** no.
World-class popcorn-munching, geek entertaining movie? **** yes.

(This post was edited by Brandybuckled on Aug 21 2009, 5:00pm)

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 21 2009, 5:43pm

Post #17 of 25 (631 views)
Shortcut
I couldn't watch the teaser until just now... and... [In reply to] Can't Post

... I caught it on TV of all places. I was surprised when at 5 minutes to 23:00 a local cable show here in India (my dad was channel surfing Tongue) ended with the teaser for AVATAR.

I don't know what to say. I thought the avatars looked great, and the environment was mind-blowing... totally believable. However, the downside was that the roaring creatures and the flying (dragons?) looked corny and below the mark in comparison.

I think the point to take note of is that this is a 3D movie - it's made with the intent of being watched on 3D screens. So I guess I should only "judge" after watching it the way it's intended to be watched Smile

"Crows and Gibbets! What is the House of Eorl but a thatched barn where brigands drink in the reek and their brats roll around on the floor with their dogs! You are but a lesser son of greater sires."

_V_
Lorien

Aug 22 2009, 1:21pm

Post #18 of 25 (572 views)
Shortcut
All of the reports say this looks better in IMAX [In reply to] Can't Post

all the reports say this is a movie that HAS to be seen in IMAX, in the sense that it was FILMED that way with the new 3D camerawork they were doing, and the online trailers dont' do it justice

ReVolution of Evangelion

"Pleased to meet you, hope you guessed my name, but what's puzzling you, is the nature of my game"

Formerly known on TORN as "Draug the Unspeakably Violent"

_V_
Lorien

Aug 22 2009, 1:27pm

Post #19 of 25 (548 views)
Shortcut
Last Airbender has an all-white cast [In reply to] Can't Post

Last Airbender has an all-white cast even though the series its based on was an entirely asian-themed world. It's racist.

Notice that in the trailer you linked, Aang doesn't really take his hood off to show that he's white (save for a final moment at the end, when he's facing the floor so you can't really see his features)....they didn't want general audiences to realize this, but the casting information is all over the internets for months

Watch I explained it in my panel:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUHlFfhrHXs&featuret#t=2m48s

ReVolution of Evangelion

"Pleased to meet you, hope you guessed my name, but what's puzzling you, is the nature of my game"

Formerly known on TORN as "Draug the Unspeakably Violent"

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 22 2009, 5:28pm

Post #20 of 25 (597 views)
Shortcut
That's going to be a problem [In reply to] Can't Post

when the film is released. There's not as many 3-D theaters, and fewer than 500 with IMAX in the world. For a point of reference, the latest Harry Potter movie was released on approximately 3,500 theaters just in the US.

I saw the latest Harry Potter movie which has the opening 15 minutes in 3-D, and the quality wasn't that good. There was a lot of blurring and ghosting of the images, and I was more than ready to take off the glasses. I can't imagine an entire movie with those problems.

Each cloak was fastened about the neck with a brooch like a green leaf veined with silver.

`Are these magic cloaks? ' asked Pippin, looking at them with wonder.

`I do not know what you mean by that,' answered the leader of the Elves.

NARF since 1974.
Balin Bows

(This post was edited by entmaiden on Aug 22 2009, 5:31pm)

Buchanicus
Lorien

Aug 22 2009, 11:02pm

Post #21 of 25 (545 views)
Shortcut
Impressions after attending "Avatar Day" event. [In reply to] Can't Post

First of all, I'd like to say this was the most uneventful, event. (footage aside). There was nothing at my screening to make it special really. With all the hype and all the secrecy surrounding this project, and with the whole thing being tagged "Avatar Day", I expected a little more "hoopla". There wasn't really security (not that i'm objecting) monitoring anything. There was a warning about recording devices in the email, and I overheard a manager politely tell a coupol eof people individually that mobile devices were not allowed inside, but that was it, they didn't announce that to the whole crowd or even check (I've been to advance screeings before in which the "wands" were used to make sure no one was taking in their phone or recorder or whatevere). Once 6pm rolled around, an uncomfortable woman (who may or may not have worked for FOX) read a very short greeting from an email she apparently just received and hadn't read before right then..learning what Avatar was, what was happening and where she was all at the moment she read it on the sheet of paper, and basically all she said was "thanks for coming to Avatar Day", that was the extent of the information. And once the footage was over, no one said anything, in fact, everyone in the theater kinda had to guess that we should all get up and leave. No SWAG, no questionaires, no nothing. Now I'm not really complaing about the lack of all this stuff, I just thought it was eally weird, especially since the whole point of this was to hype the movie.

Now as far as what we saw...

There was 16 miutes of footage, I believe it was 5 scenes and about a minute and a half of montage/trailer footage at the end (It was basically all the footage from the trailer that hadn't beeen included within the completed scenes).

I thought that the movie and FX and environments and design and all that were very, very cool. I'm excited about seeing this movie, and learning what the story is, and immersing myself into this new world. Based on all those elements, I think this movie truly has potential to be one of the SciFi/Fantasy greats.

But as far as the 3D/IMAX experience...I was truly underwhelmed. Now after reading and hearing other peoples reactions to the footage, i know that there are many who were blown-away and thought it all looked amazing, but I also know I'm not alone in my thoughts and opinions on the matter.

I do realize that a lot of this has to de with personal preference, but I just do not care about the 3D experience. I'm not a casual movie-goer by any means, I go to the movies usually at least one a week and see a lot of "genre" type films multiple times in the theater. I do have experince with 3D films ever since they were reintoduced and once again pushed on the american public, but generally, if I have a choice I go to see the "2D" screening instead.

To me, Avatar looked like just another 3D movie (and I will point out again this was an IMAX 3D screen). Nothing looked particularly ground-breaking to me. Did it look cool/really neat? Yes it did...and I was relieved that the 3D served to add depth instead of use "3D gags". but I did not think it looked THAT cool. There was blurring, focus issues...to me the overall picture didn't look very sharp or clear, and it seemed to be a little dark. And those glasses...let me tell you I was sick of wearing them even after only 16 minutes, especially since I myself wear glasses to see. It wasn't comepletely miserable or anything like that, but it was distracting and not something I'd prefer. I did not leave the theater experience with anything that would get me excited or on-board with seeing a 3D movie, especially since this is the film that it suppose to change the way we view films and 3D and expand to technology and all that.

Personally, I thought the trailer on my computer looked better (granted I watched it in HD on an HD monitor) actually looked better. I thought the colors were more vibrant, the picture was clearer and brighter...I just thought overall it looked better, and the two people I was with agreed with me. Since my local theater has digital projectors and digital sound in all of its auditoriums, I can tell you now that is how I will be seeing this film come December. I definitely prefer the digital experience over the 3D/IMAX one.

Now these are just my opinions, I think 3D and even IMAX to a point are overated, I have never had an experience with either on that have truly blown me away in a manner that would make want to prefer those formats. But I hope everybody would make up their own minds. but I will say that whenever people say "have you seen it in 3D on IMAX?!? That's how you should see it!", my reaction is to say, "well have you seen it in digital, form a real digital projector?"

(This post was edited by Buchanicus on Aug 22 2009, 11:04pm)

weathertop
Rohan

Aug 23 2009, 2:32pm

Post #22 of 25 (501 views)
Shortcut
nice recap, thanks [In reply to] Can't Post

Sunflower
Valinor

Aug 26 2009, 9:48pm

Post #23 of 25 (510 views)
Shortcut
"Just another 3-D movie" [In reply to] Can't Post

And that, I think, is going to be a huge problem in the years to come. For gamers, the reaction has been, as one quote memorably ran, " a resounding meh." For those like me who aren't gamers, we think the footage is lovely, esp on the planet.

BUT the one thing that seems to be universal right now is: "Where is the story?" We have all become more blase and much harder to please...unlike the early years of the decade, technolgy in itself is no longer enough to satisfy. The wow factor has passed and what we have left is what has always made great cinema--and box-office dollars: STORY and EMOTION.

Ya know, I really begin to appreciate why PJ has chosen not to direct TH. His argument that it is impossible to follow what you have already done in today's climate. He's absolutely right. I almost feel sorry for Cameron now. When you are working in a climate in which the $500+ million worldwide gross of King Kong is considered a resounding failure for PJ by Hollywood, imagine how he is going to be tarred and feathered for Avatar for not being Titanic (or even TDK)?

Titanic is something that will never be seen again...everyone came to the theater knowing what the story would be, but IMO the amazing for the time FX of the ship sinking, as great as they were, would not have kept the audiences coming back. They came back to re-live the tragic yet uplifting love story of Jack and Rose. And it was women who are the box-office's true bread and butter, not geeks..which is what Avatar has to go beyond to get the kind of box-office gross he needs not to be branded a failure and has-been. And while women and familes may go once to see the great visuals, what are they going to get that will make them cry? If the movie doesn't make people cry, then it's a failure. Even TDK made people cry in a way, even if it was tears of rage at the evilness of The Joker, at the death of Harvey's wife and the now-famous ferry scene.

There's a little problem out there for Cameron, IMO...a not so little problem out there called District 9. Before D9, Avatar looked pretty darn awesome. Now, I am going to be measuring Avatar by the former, and it has a lot to overcome. And I wonder how many other sci-fi fans will be measuring Avatar by D9. Probably a lot. Here's an entire film made for probably the intial marketing cost of this teaser trailer alone (Shocked), that looks as good as a $200 million film, that will soon gross over $100 million in the US. Granted, factor in the extra costs of sending out the prints, the marketing etc and the film actually costs around $80 million (wonder what the additional costs of Avatar will be?Crazy Where the heck does Hollywood get the money to make all this in today's troubled climate and troubled banks?) it is only starting to turn a profit for Sony right about now, it will be a modest profit, but solid real profit nevertheless.

The challenge for Cameron will be to create a 3-D character as memorable as Christopher Johnson, the alien from D9 who I would argue is one of the most intruiging characters to emerge in cinema this decade..not just sci-fi, but in general. And I;m not even a "geek" and can say this....a 30-somethng woman! I've become fascinated by an alien CG character! I saw that film almost 2 weeks ago and it *still* haunts me...I'm going back this wknd for a 2nd viewing before it leaves the theaters. And it was b/c the character's backstory and "performance" tore my heart out. I know I;m not alone, and that's why people are going back.

I came out of there with a load of questions. Who is he? WHAT is he, socially, on his planet? What is his planet and how is it governed? (Blomkamp has answered a bit of this, but it's just the tip of the iceberg.) Why can't they go back to the planet they came from? What are his feelings...does he see any point to revenge, and does he think it is possible? Does Wikus become human again and is he reuinted with his wife? Has he had a real change of heart, or is it just tragic circumstance that temporarily educates him? All this and other questions. Blomkamp could even throw in a minor cornball sopa opera thing with the wife and you knew it was cornball, but given the tragedy of the situation, you still care enough about Wikus to care about this little story thread.
But the larger issue for Cameron, the challenge Blomkamp has laid down, is the raw emotional power of the story and how Blomkamp made us feel such an unexpected emotional connection to the creature. For me the highlight of the film was the scene where Wikus and CJ infiltrate the medical experiements lab to get back the phial with the liquid in it. CG CJ asks (in his language of insect clicks and chitters--he doesn't even speak *words*) "What is this place? Where are we?" and you are feeling awful b/c *you* know what it is and hope he doesn't find out. But then he sees the mutliated corpse of the alien on the table and his reaction...the thing looks like a cross betwen a cricket and squid and yet Blomkamp managed to tear our hearts out. The look in CJ's eyes, and the way he lingers..how Wikus can't tear him away. I thought about how he lived alone with his son, and maybe this was his missing wife/mate lying on the table? I certainly got the impression that it was a female alien and how CJ was feeling the natural rage at a man not being able to protect a woman and how that goes. And not a word spoken. You see all the tragedy in his eyes and body language. Nothing like this has ever been seen from a CG creation onscreen, outside of Gollum. Much less an alien!
It's that scene that sold the movie for me. The whole film from that scene on tore my freaking guts out. Heck, it tore my guts out by the end of the first 20 minutes! And that last scene at the end....Wikus and the flower....(I won't spoil it)...oh God. there's a film image for the ages. Right up there with the butterfly in "All Quiet on the Western Front." (Don't laugh, people!)
And it may be our real-life future, as Blomkamp says.

And it was all b/c of the gifted actor Jason Cope, the Andy Serkis of this film--he performed onset with Copley, rolling around in the real-life ghetto garbage heaps. He was the mo-cap basis for not only CJ but all the aliens in the film.(!) And sadly not getting any notice in the media.

It's this kind of thing that will sell Avatar for mainstream audiences. There was a shot of a Navi creatire mourning a dead beast on the ground. I'm guessing it's a dead animal killed by the evil Earth military. Probably a scene to make us cry. But it isn't enough. Cameron will have to give us unforgettable characters. Like Linda Hunt's Terminator character. Like Jack and Rose.
And like...Christopher Johnson.

(This post was edited by Sunflower on Aug 26 2009, 9:56pm)

Buchanicus
Lorien

Aug 27 2009, 2:35am

Post #24 of 25 (472 views)
Shortcut
I agree. [In reply to] Can't Post

Very well said Sunflower...my thoughts exactly.

And I would also like to say that I completely agree with you about the "Wikus and the flower" scene!

Sunflower
Valinor

Aug 29 2009, 1:24pm

Post #25 of 25 (505 views)
Shortcut
Thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

Buchanicus, I enjoyed your description of the screening as well. I wish Avatar had a different studio. Fox wouldn't kinow how to market a film if an instruction manuel was shoved in front of their nose. Look at the awful job they did with Watchmen...I'n surprised that film did as well as it did.

It's funny, I was in the library a week or so ago--I live right around the corner from one, and am often in there, on the way home from work or whatever, thank God for their excellent DVD catalog!--and I was there to drop off my gardening books I had checked out (hehe, a gardener, yep, target audience for a film like D9, lolSly) and I noticed a book on a shelf right next to the desk, where staff recommendations and new books were featured. It was called "Bring Me My Machine Gun: The Battle For The Soul Of South Africa From Mandela To Zuma" by Alec Russell. He was the Johannesburg beareau chief for the Financial Times (of London) for many years, and he had recently spent some time in the "new" South Africa. Fascinated, and with the film still very much on my mind, I decided to check it out. Sheepishly, the told the lady at the desk why, and mentioning and talking about D9 and urging her to go see it, she said, "You know, you're the 2nd person who has said that in 2 days."

I'm halfway throught the book now, and can really see where this film came from. I am reading it in order to appreciate the world of the film and b/c it will having its SA premiere very soon. Based on what I am reading, when it hits SA all hell should break loose. SA must be one of the strangest places on earth...I can't say more without getting into SA politics and society and no more political issues here. But you can really see who Blomkamp is and where he came from. And where the film comes from, so to speak. And I haven't even gotten to the heavy-duty chapters yet--on the Afkikaners, the AIDS epidemic, and the huge problem of the Zimbabwean immigrants/ refugees W(hom the aliens are loosely based on.) I can guaruntee you that any whites who choose to see the film will be in for quite a shock as ther non-white world is something that continues to be barely seen by most of them. One things Blomkmap has said repeadedly that is sailing right over Americans' heas is that this is NOT an aparthied allegory, but a post-aprartied one; it's a film about SA today--and, he says, the world we all will face in the future of rescource depletion and climate change. Scarily, it made such an impressiuon on me not just b/c of Wikus and Christopher, but for that reason--it mat not be all fantasy.

I highly recommend the book, it was published just this year. Russell was probably prowling the country the exact same time Blomkamp was filming. Normally I read books by authors like this with a bit of caution since on certain subject they still have a colonial mindset, but the book is surprisingly even-handed amd brutally honest.

(This post was edited by Sunflower on Aug 29 2009, 1:27pm)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.