The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Clarification about my 'Prayers for "The Hobbit" proposal'

mae govannen
Tol Eressea

Apr 20 2007, 11:38am

Post #1 of 11 (8233 views)
Shortcut
Clarification about my 'Prayers for "The Hobbit" proposal' Can't Post

I see from the big number of views given to my proposal, that a lot of us have read that proposal of mine.
Not many have written anything about it, though, and among those who did (mostly from the US it would seem?) an overwhelming number expressed indignant feelings because so many more important things are there for us to pray about - the Virginia shootings, for example.
Living far away from the US and in a country where news from the West don't always make it to the front pages, I simply didn't know about those tragic news, hence my apparent insensitivity.
But the result of having inadvertently posted my proposal with such a bad timing, is that it has generated a veritable avalanche of often unjustified criticism for the proposal in itself, which I feel is a pity, for reasons I explained at some length in the answers I wrote just now to several of those posts.
So, if you have already read my proposal, and perhaps also those many posts opposed to it for more or less all that same basic reason I summed up above (which Aunt Dora Baggins, blessed she be, luckily for me had the quiet courage to question, influencing at least a little some other persons), you may have in your mind already brushed aside that unfortunate proposal of mine, which by now must be very near the waste-paper basket in the consciousnesses of most of you.
Well, before you do throw it in there, please go back to that thread, and read the answers I wrote, particularly to what diedye had said, and if you are willing to give it a little more time, my other answers too.
What diedye had written I have no problem with at all: it was his genuine feelings, so I'm glad he expressed them: had I read his post early enough, it would have made me realize how a number of other people must be reacting too without saying it, and I would have immediately clarified what obviously needed to be clarified; but I didn't come back to that thread before it was almost too late, and the whole thread had become a more or less unanimous condemnation of my proposal - in the meantime more and more distorted in people's heads and misrepresented in their posts, which in the end aimed more at making outright fun of my proposal than at answering what I had truly said, and with which precisely stated intention.
It pains me to see that on TORn too, people can react with that kind of mob-like haste and blindness to what is really being proposed.
I do hope many of you, reading this new post of mine, will accept now to go back to that first thread and read what I had to say to the criticism expressed.
If after doing that you still feel my proposal should end up indeed in the waste-paper basket, that will be fine with me: it will have been given proper attention and treatment, and will have been truly judged for its real merits, so I will be content with whatever result will come out of a fair trial!... Smile
I thank you in advance for that. Heart

'Is everything sad going to come untrue?'
(Sam, 'The Field of Cormallen', in 'The Return of the King'.)

(This post was edited by mae govannen on Apr 20 2007, 11:40am)

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Apr 20 2007, 2:11pm

Post #2 of 11 (6154 views)
Shortcut
See my post below [In reply to] Can't Post

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
Chance Meeting at Rivendell: a Tolkien Fanfic
and some other stuff I wrote...
leleni at hotmail dot com

diedye
Grey Havens

Apr 20 2007, 2:59pm

Post #3 of 11 (6218 views)
Shortcut
A ) *pointing to tutu* Ahem... [In reply to] Can't Post

SHE... not He.

*wonders whether to get hair wax for upper lip*

B ) I'm Canadian not American.

C ) Let me just say one thing more and then I'll be done.

The reason for my "objection" (iffy word, since it wasn't really an objection... just my personal opinion) is that I've seen too many incidents where people have used their faith for all the wrong reasons. Faith has become the new four-letter-word for a lot of people, and so has prayer, which is why it has been removed from a lot of political and educational institutions (our schools here are no longer divided by Protestants or Catholics but by language, which is worse, but that's a whole other story). Besides that, I have seen it put to use in the most appalling ways where despicable people who are greedy and hardly "saintly" have used prayer to try to advance their positions or make themselves richer. Prayer has been used all too often in the most ungodly ways and has diminished its true purpose and meaning. So when I see someone asking to pray for something that seems hardly life-affirming (IMO), it rankles me.

That, apparently, was not your intention, though. I can see that it obviously means a lot to you and it seems it is something close to your heart. If I offended you, then I apologize. It was not my intention. I was just saying my two cents and I guess some people agreed with me. Mob mentality? I didn't get that feeling, but perhaps our tongue-in-cheekness was a little too flip for your taste, but I don't find that people were being downright mean to you.

But like I said, if it's something you believe in, then by all means, go for it. I'll still be rooting for the project and for all those who are trying to make it happen, including you. Smile

Scout
Rivendell

Apr 20 2007, 3:40pm

Post #4 of 11 (6219 views)
Shortcut
"mob-like" and "blindness"? [In reply to] Can't Post

People disagreed with your proposal and I thought they did so rather politely, overall. If you think that is "mob-like," I think you haven't seen what can happen on MBs.

I suggest you enjoy the kindness that was extended to you, even by those who disagreed with you, and let it go.

Lossefalme
Gondor

Apr 20 2007, 4:05pm

Post #5 of 11 (6212 views)
Shortcut
My two cents (that's about all it's worth!) [In reply to] Can't Post

I am honestly happy that you found something that you feel this passionate about, Mae. You're request isn't hurting anyone and, who knows, may be helping someone. At any rate, if this isn't something we're interested in participating in, free will allows us to ignore it. I was, admittedly, initially put off, but as I read other responses realized that although it isn't my focus, there is no reason it can't be yours or anyone else's.

I guess for me, personally, there is a difference between a wish or a hope and a prayer. I think now that you were requesting positive energy. I will happily hope that the outcome is for the best, (which, btw, may not mean PJ); sometimes the greatest surprises are unexpected. Someone else may do a magnificent job. Would I like PJ? Yes. Do I think he is the only one who could do it? Probably not. I do hope that Howard Shore is involved no matter how it turns out!

I hope that this clarifies my position as you have tried to clafify yours. Have a great weekend, Mae!

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Join us every Thursday in the Movie Discussion Forum for GOLD Nuggets, an exploration of the Geeky Observation Lists maintained by our very own grammaboodawg.

mae govannen
Tol Eressea

Apr 20 2007, 4:33pm

Post #6 of 11 (6142 views)
Shortcut
Very nice two cents! Thank you... [In reply to] Can't Post

mae govannen
Tol Eressea

Apr 20 2007, 4:46pm

Post #7 of 11 (6173 views)
Shortcut
Well, that was downright... nice!!! :-D Thank you... :-) [In reply to] Can't Post

mae govannen
Tol Eressea

Apr 20 2007, 5:30pm

Post #8 of 11 (6178 views)
Shortcut
Couldn't find other words in my poor English [In reply to] Can't Post

to say something of how I did feel, without having to go into another long sentence in a post that I wanted to keep as short as possible. Sorry that those words were a bit too strong for what I was trying to say.
You're probably right about the other 'MBs' (? What's that?...); I would simply not survive there, I guess; but if I don't go there, it's precisely because I need a different atmosphere, and usually I like it very much here; this time it was rather a bad surprise, I must say!!! But I have learned through the process. I'm grateful indeed for the overall kindness, which shows perhaps also that most people here know by now that I am myself usually kind even to those with whom I disagree, so they didn't want to hurt me either. All my love to them for that. I am proud to be part of TORn!...
As for letting it go, I'm not sure what you mean by that, but certainly, yes, I'm not going to insist on anything more than this!... I said what I had to say in this additional post for clarification, and I'm happy with the few people who not only have changed their mind because of that, but have even said it openly - how nice. What I felt to be somehow my job this time, I have done to the best of my ability and sincerity. The rest is now in the hands of 'God', 'Eru', the Providence, the wisdom of the Universe, whatever we may call THAT!... Smile

mae govannen
Tol Eressea

Apr 20 2007, 5:35pm

Post #9 of 11 (6178 views)
Shortcut
P.S. And sorry for the 'he'!!! Now I'll know better!... :-D [In reply to] Can't Post

(This post was edited by mae govannen on Apr 20 2007, 5:36pm)

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 21 2007, 2:00am

Post #10 of 11 (6103 views)
Shortcut
MBs = messages boards. / [In reply to] Can't Post

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

mae govannen
Tol Eressea

Apr 21 2007, 5:39am

Post #11 of 11 (7315 views)
Shortcut
Thanks, Ataahua! Pretty obvious now... :-D / [In reply to] Can't Post

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.