Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Mar 2 2009, 2:22am

Post #1 of 13 (651 views)
Shortcut

There are ten two-week slots available, running concurrently with our disussion of The Hobbit, for “leader’s choice” discussions on the topic of your choice. These “secondary” discussion should consist of two to four posts per week for two weeks, and are meant for a more in-depth look at topics that either aren’t being covered in the primary discussions, or can’t be covered in one or two independent posts. (As a general reminder: new threads on all relevant subjects are welcome at any time in the Reading Room, as long as those don’t overlap with or overwhelm the official discussions.) The subjects of this leader’s choice series can be anything related to the life and works of Tolkien except for chapter in The Hobbit or themes specific to that work. Here are some suggestions from Curious:

Any work by Tolkien, such as Roverandom or Tolkien’s poetry or even his Beowulf essay or one or more of his letters… art depicting Tolkien characters or scenes, and essays or books critiquing Tolkien… discussion of Tolkien fan fiction… works that inspired Tolkien, such as Beowulf… a study of fairy-stories, or perhaps of one or more particular fairy-stories, comparing and contrasting them to stories by Tolkien… a Tolkien biography… comparison of Tolkien books to movies or plays based on those books [by other authors]… comparison of LotR and Wagner’s operatic Ring Cycle… discussion of possible historical inspirations for Tolkien’s fiction… pre-Tolkien fantasy generally, and whether Tolkien really invented the genre, heavily influenced it, or just popularized it… post-Tolkien fantasy, and what works imitate Tolkien, respond to Tolkien in a more original way, or pretend that Tolkien didn’t exist.. comparing and contrasting Tolkien’s fiction to Star Wars movies… Or Star Trek television and movies… flora and fauna in the Primary World that might have inspired Tolkien’s real and fictional flora and fauna

However, in these discussions, please do all you can to present your subject in a way that doesn’t exclude people not familiar with your material. For instance, if you discuss Tolkien fanfiction, please include a summary of the story in question. Or, if you compare LOTR to Der Ring des Nibelungen, don’t assume that your readers are familiar with Wagner’s operas. I think you may assume that most people here are familiar with The Hobbit, The Lord of the Rings, The Silmarillion, Unfinished Tales, and the broad outlines of Tolkien’s life.

If you sign up, please specify your weeks and topic in your post’s subject line. For all but the most obviously self-explanatory topics, I encourage you to describe your intent in a couple sentences in the body of your post.

1. Mar. 23-Apr. 5
2. Apr. 6-19
3. Apr. 20-May 3
4. May 4-17
5. May 18-31
6. Jun. 1-14
7. Jun. 15-28
8. Jun. 29-Jul. 12
9. Jul. 13-26
10. Jul. 27-Aug. 9

I don’t think all slots will be taken, and that’s fine.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
We're discussing The Lord of the Rings in the Reading Room, Oct. 15, 2007 - Mar. 22, 2009!

Join us Feb. 23- Mar. 1 for The Tale of Years.
+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=
How to find old Reading Room discussions.

weaver
Half-elven

Mar 2 2009, 8:20pm

Post #2 of 13 (481 views)
Shortcut
May 4-17 -- Tolkien on-line... [In reply to] Can't Post

My initial idea was to post the LOTR excerpts from a website that provides on-line summaries of literature -- just to see how accurate/on target people thought they were.

I'm not sure I can stretch that two weeks, however -- so now I'm thinking along the line of posting examples of the types of information you can get on Tolkien on the web, and making this an exploration of how Tolkien is being treated in the web world...

As I'm not all that familiar with Tolkien sites other than this one, or even with all the places you can get info on the web, I'm hopeful that others will also add sites or information they have found as well. So it might be a group project of a sort as well...

Well, it will be something along these lines, anyway -- still working on this, as you can tell.

Thanks for organizing us as always, and glad to help fill a slot.

Weaver

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Mar 5 2009, 9:31pm

Post #3 of 13 (480 views)
Shortcut
I hope someone will take [In reply to] Can't Post

..Voronwë the Faithful's book. I don't feel qualified to, and none of us knows exactly when it'll be released, so it's hard to pick a week. I have it on order, but even Voronwë reports different dates from his publisher and Amazon.

The Rohirrim, by Peter Xavier Price

Elizabeth is the TORnsib formerly known as 'erather'

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Mar 5 2009, 10:24pm

Post #4 of 13 (481 views)
Shortcut
That's an exciting/terrifying prospect! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd probably cringe in the corner for the whole two weeks, but it would certainly be interesting to read people's thoughts (and I would be available to clarify things if necessary).

As for the release date, I'm still told by my publisher that it should be shipping by the end of this month at the latest. But even if it waited until April 30 as Amazon is still saying, that would still leave plenty of time for some of the later slots. (I don't think that I've mentioned here that I have in fact received my copies, so I know it does exist!)

'But very bright were the stars upon the margin of the world, when at times the clouds about the West were drawn aside.'

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 6 2009, 3:26am

Post #5 of 13 (522 views)
Shortcut
Mine's supposed to "arrive by May 6th". [In reply to] Can't Post

Wink

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

"It struck me last night that you might write a fearfully good romantic drama, with as much of the 'supernatural' as you cared to introduce. Have you ever thought of it?"
-Geoffrey B. Smith, letter to JRR Tolkien, 1915

a.s.
Valinor

Mar 7 2009, 1:06am

Post #6 of 13 (464 views)
Shortcut
can't I just sign up for the topic "Leader's Choice"? [In reply to] Can't Post

I'll volunteer to take a slot and promise to post on a subject of my choice, but didn't envision having to sign up for a specific topic in advance. In other words, I would like to volunteer to be responsible for posting something interesting, related to Tolkien, that is not under current discussion nor claimed for future discussions by another RR volunteer leader, during a two-week slot of my choice.

If all that meets the requirements Cool I would like to volunteer for weeks April 20-May 3.

a.s.

"an seileachan"

Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana

Call Her Emily

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Mar 7 2009, 1:13am

Post #7 of 13 (448 views)
Shortcut
I hadn't thought of that, but why not? I look forward to your discussion, Apr. 20-May 3! // [In reply to] Can't Post

We're discussing The Lord of the Rings in the Reading Room, Oct. 15, 2007 - Mar. 22, 2009!

Join us Mar. 2-8 for Family Trees, Calendars, and Writing and Spelling.

(This post was edited by N.E. Brigand on Mar 7 2009, 1:15am)

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Mar 7 2009, 1:14am

Post #8 of 13 (451 views)
Shortcut
Thanks -- looking forward to it! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Join us Mar. 2-8 for Family Trees, Calendars, and Writing and Spelling.

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Mar 7 2009, 2:05am

Post #9 of 13 (487 views)
Shortcut
I hope and believe that you will receive it before then [In reply to] Can't Post

But we'll see!

'But very bright were the stars upon the margin of the world, when at times the clouds about the West were drawn aside.'

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Mar 10 2009, 11:23pm

Post #10 of 13 (447 views)
Shortcut
You can also sign up for just one week. [In reply to] Can't Post

I've heard from one person, and suspect there may be others, who would like to host a secondary discussion but don't think they have enough material to fill out two weeks. So let's adjust the format to allow for one-week discussions. Remember that these discussions are limited to two-to-four posts per week, so as not to overwhelm the primary discussion of The Hobbit. Here is the adjusted calendar:

1. Mar. 23-Mar. 30
2. Mar. 31-Apr. 5
3. Apr. 6-12
4. Apr. 13-19
5. Apr. 20-26 ---- a.s. (topic(s) tba)
6. Apr. 27-May 3 ---- a.s. (topic(s) tba)
7. May 4-10 ---- weaver ("Tolkien on-line")
8. May 11-17 ---- weaver ("Tolkien on-line")
9. May 18-24
10. May 25-31
11. Jun. 1-7
12. Jun. 8-14
13. Jun. 15-21
14. Jun. 22-28
15. Jun. 29-Jul. 5
16. Jul. 6-12
17. Jul. 13-19
18. Jul. 20-26
19. Jul. 27-Aug. 3
20. Aug. 4-9

Of course, you can still sign up for two weeks, if you wish. You could even split your weeks.

Join us Mar. 9-15 for Languages, Peoples, and Translation.

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Mar 11 2009, 3:39am

Post #11 of 13 (441 views)
Shortcut
I'll take the Athrabeth for 500, Alex [In reply to] Can't Post

The week of July 27-Aug. 3.

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Mar 11 2009, 3:59am

Post #12 of 13 (430 views)
Shortcut
Excellent! Jul. 27-Aug. 3 it is. [In reply to] Can't Post

*twitch* Barnum, Hippodrome, Garden *twitch*

Join us Mar. 9-15 for Languages, Peoples, and Translation.

(This post was edited by N.E. Brigand on Mar 11 2009, 4:00am)

Curious
Half-elven

Mar 11 2009, 2:45pm

Post #13 of 13 (449 views)
Shortcut
May I suggest [In reply to] Can't Post

automatic points?

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.