Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of the Rings:
Did You Ever Notice... Celeborn's Costume?

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Feb 4 2009, 1:57am

Post #1 of 14 (10870 views)
Shortcut
Did You Ever Notice... Celeborn's Costume? Can't Post

Poor Celeborn only has one outfit in his closet. Though the design team did make him a second costume for a cut scene in TTT,

There's a great black and white shot showing off the textures in his costume HERE. It includes the best view of the embroidery down the front of his outer robe.

His robes are very similar to Elrond's. He wears a wide trouser underneath a silk brocade robe. The robe has a high collar and a rounded hem in front. Over this we have a belt with removable sash and another belt with silver clasp. The sleeves are what Ngila describes often as a petal wrap sleeve, part of the leaf and organic shapes they used for the Elven culture.

Over this we have a darker grey silk robe. This one has some embroidery around the neck, which doesn't show up in most of these images.

And, of course, his necklace.

He does get a new silk velvet cape for the Havens, though.

You can find more images and details over at Alley Cat Scratch.

So, any thoughts?

Did You Ever Notice? is a series of posts on the costumes of LOTR. It doesn't follow any order and appears on no particular day. You can always find previous discussions over at my Costume Discussion Archive.

My LiveJournal
My Costuming Site
TORn's Costume Discussions Archive
The Screencap of the Day Schedule for February

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 4 2009, 5:59am

Post #2 of 14 (6583 views)
Shortcut
Malware warning? [In reply to] Can't Post

When I tried accessing the site from the link you provided, I got to a page that said:

Warning: Visiting this site may harm your computer! The website at www.fantasyplanet.cz appears to host malware – software that can hurt your computer or otherwise operate without your consent. Just visiting a site that hosts malware can infect your computer.

To get back on topic, wasn't Celeborn's hair also tied at the back with some kind of clasp? Or was it just a band holding it together in a pony tail?

His garment in the pic showing the closeup of the necklace is so rich with embroidery, it makes me wish they hadn't covered most of it up with that grey cape Tongue

Crows and Gibbets! What is The House Of Eorl but a thatched barn where brigands drink in the reek, and their brats roll around on the floor with their dogs! You are but a lesser son of greater Sires.

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Feb 4 2009, 8:10am

Post #3 of 14 (6539 views)
Shortcut
I wonder... [In reply to] Can't Post

Given that the necklaces are so intricate, and that I don't believe they were worn by non-leaders among the Elves, could they be the Elves' version of crowns? Used to denote authority?

Although Legolas (and perhaps Elrond?) did wear filigree headbands (for want of a better word) at Aragorn and Arwen's wedding. Hmmm...

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Elven
Valinor

Feb 4 2009, 9:12am

Post #4 of 14 (6626 views)
Shortcut
He wears it well! ... [In reply to] Can't Post

Ive got say not everyone can wear grey and get away with it so well Smile
It is another stunning elven costume - and the embroidery on the undershirt is beautiful - he almost looks better than Galadriel Shocked ... almost Wink

and thankyou AD for including the beautiful necklace!
(another one to add to the list of things to make)

I love the cape sleeves - gorgeous!

Pity he didnt have a bigger wardrobe.

Thankyou so much AD!
Cheers
Elven x

Swishtail.

Tolkien was a Capricorn!!
Russell Crowe for Beorn!!

Avatar: Liberace - The other Lord of the Rings.

Quote of The Week: The thing is I always write in the morning, and I know that if I go to the Net I won’t write ... you can start in the most scholarly website and end up at Paris Hilton dot com .. GdT

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Feb 4 2009, 5:27pm

Post #5 of 14 (6673 views)
Shortcut
I love this outfit! [In reply to] Can't Post

It's so regal and reminds me of an Elvish hint in others' outfits.

The shirt and collar remind me of a more travel-worthy shirt that Legolas wears.
The colours/texture remind me of Frodo and Bilbo's outfits... Bilbo's in Rivendell and Frodo's for the Havens.
The "petal" wrap reminds me of Legolas' outfit, specifically the boots. They wrap around the back of his leg/ankle and strap up. You can really see them in detail at the museum exhibit. Just Beautiful!
The overall look does resemble what Elrond fancies. Each of these Elven Lords wear the flowing layers that resembles earth qualities... Celeborn's are watery while Elrond's are earth tones.

This is wonderful, Arwen's daughter!

Thank you SO MUCH!!!! :D

sample

"Barney Snow was here." ~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists

weaver
Half-elven

Feb 4 2009, 10:16pm

Post #6 of 14 (6497 views)
Shortcut
aw, he reminds me of my old Ken doll... [In reply to] Can't Post

He only had one outfit, too!

More seriously, like others, I especially love the necklace and how it fits with the belt.

Takes a real man...er...elf...to pull off this look.

Nicely posted as always, thanks!

Weaver

Magpie
Immortal

Feb 4 2009, 10:23pm

Post #7 of 14 (6524 views)
Shortcut
malware [In reply to] Can't Post

I did a little searching and found this: http://safebrowsing.clients.google.com/...www.fantasyplanet.cz

I don't really know what most of that means.

2009 Tolkien Computer Monitor Calendars
LOTR soundtrack website : FOTR Lyrics Update, Oct 2008
magpie avatar gallery ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Feb 4 2009, 10:57pm

Post #8 of 14 (6518 views)
Shortcut
Apologies! [In reply to] Can't Post

I've grabbed the image and placed it into my photobucket for anyone who would rather not visit the site. You can see it HERE.

My LiveJournal
My Costuming Site
TORn's Costume Discussions Archive
The Screencap of the Day Schedule for February

Magpie
Immortal

Feb 5 2009, 12:59am

Post #9 of 14 (6529 views)
Shortcut
Yum! // [In reply to] Can't Post

2009 Tolkien Computer Monitor Calendars
LOTR soundtrack website : FOTR Lyrics Update, Oct 2008
magpie avatar gallery ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 5 2009, 6:15am

Post #10 of 14 (6527 views)
Shortcut
No need to apologize... [In reply to] Can't Post

... and thanks for that uploading that pic. Is it just me or does Celeborn look *really* Elvish? As in, very present yet distant!! Crazy I've never seen him like this.

Crows and Gibbets! What is the House of Eorl but a thatched barn where brigands drink in the reek and their brats roll around on the floor with the dogs? You are but a lesser son of greater sires!

Elberbeth
Tol Eressea

Feb 5 2009, 5:05pm

Post #11 of 14 (6454 views)
Shortcut
Very classy. [In reply to] Can't Post

Wouldn't it have been nice to see a bit more of Celeborn -- the TE did not do him any favours, IMO. Redeemed by the EE, but still ...

"There are some things that it is better to begin than to refuse, even though the end may be dark."

simplyaven
Grey Havens

Feb 5 2009, 7:10pm

Post #12 of 14 (6531 views)
Shortcut
This costume was one of the few... [In reply to] Can't Post

I actually noticed. It stroke me with its beauty the first time I saw it. I wll agree that he almost looks better than Galadriel. This is such a kingly costume! I can compare it only to Elrond's outfits which I also loved. I also love the grey in general and I think it's a very elegant and delicate colour. The shades of grey they chose for Celeborn's outfit are very nice. Thanks Arwen's daughter, a marvelous costume!

Culinary journey through Middle Earth continues! Join us on January 30 on the Main board for a visit at the "Prancing pony"!

I believe

Goldberry of the river
Lorien

Feb 5 2009, 10:49pm

Post #13 of 14 (6480 views)
Shortcut
Amazing costume [In reply to] Can't Post

and such lovely textures and colours.
It must have taken elves a long time to undress!!

Question (rather OT): Why does Celeborn have such bad roots? Particulary in the second to last photo.

Brian Blessed for Thorin!

Formerly known as Rosie!

ElanorTX
Grey Havens

Feb 6 2009, 10:41am

Post #14 of 14 (6489 views)
Shortcut
thanks for the pic and the whole post // [In reply to] Can't Post

"I shall not wholly fail if anything can still grow fair in days to come."

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.