Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
The Hobbit is being scripted - but Guillermo's diary is filled past 2017 ...

Elven
Valinor

Sep 4 2008, 5:49am

Post #1 of 6 (1115 views)
Shortcut
The Hobbit is being scripted - but Guillermo's diary is filled past 2017 ... Can't Post

Mods please move if not in the right place Smile

Variety article by Michael Flemming contains a few new insights on the Hobbit scripting process, but also focuses on Guillermos projects beyond the Hobbit.

http://www.variety.com/...tegoryid=13&cs=1

a few quotes from the article ...

Of course, del Toro’s first priority is New Line and MGM’s "The Hobbit," to which he has committed the next five years. He has begun writing "Hobbit" with Peter Jackson, Fran Walsh and Philippa Boyens, collaborating via video conferencing and trips to New Zealand every three weeks.
While it’s difficult, if not impossible, to plan projects five years into the future, at this point U execs think "Drood" is the most likely to be del Toro’s first post-"Hobbit" directing vehicle.
If both sides have their way, the helmer will belong to Universal after "The Hobbit" wraps.

While he busies himself with "Hobbit," del Toro will outline the other projects and hire writers. The pics will be supervised at del Toro Prods. by his manager, Gary Ungar, who’ll be exec producer of the films and will oversee the slate with development director Russell Ackerman and U exec Scott Bernstein.
"No one expected ‘The Hobbit’ to come about; it was the most marvelous monkey wrench tossed into my life," del Toro said. "I consider (the new deals) the renewal of my marital vows with Universal."

U production prexy Donna Langley said the helmer’s "Hobbit" hiatus will only delay plans to dive into the del Toro business.

Crazy Seems like it going to be a busy 10-Lifetime years or so for Guillermo - and beyond - Cool
and its great to hear a snippet of news as to how the Hobbit is progressing and the process involved. Yay!! Some news!

Though Im just going to have a little rant here ...

What I am noticing recently - especially with the world wide full release of Hellboy II The Golden Army success, is the leapfrogging of the Hobbit to get to other films which are projected for Guillermo's attention past 2015 - after the Hobbit completion. Im not sure Ive noticed such 'forecasting' to this extent - but i must say, Im glad Guillermo is doing the Hobbit, but there are some who seem sour or offended that Guillermo has taken so much time out to do these projects: (The Hobbit and F2) - the boards are stiring with this talk, especially as there is an expectancy that Guillermo will do Hellboy 3 (which I think would be fantastic!) ... but the Hobbit is 'in the way' (Wink Yay for us) ... but with so little news on the Hobbit, and so much news on future Universal projects ... I guess I want to know that the Hobbit is getting the attention and focus that it deserves and was promised ...

Maybe Im alone in thinking this - maybe Im selfish .. maybe Im just dramatising, but I see the Hobbit being hi-jacked, and future projects and studio's riding on its coat-tails recently.
Where's my fly swatter! Wink

Any thoughts on the article?
Cheers Elven x

Were off to Hobbiton finally!

Tolkien was a Capricorn!!
Russell Crowe for Beorn!!

Quote of The Week: A I LOVE cats and I love TV. And I love to watch cats on TV. Ron Perlman

(This post was edited by Elven on Sep 4 2008, 5:57am)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 5 2008, 2:32pm

Post #2 of 6 (504 views)
Shortcut
He hasn't moved, then? [In reply to] Can't Post

I was of the impression after his time off following HBII that he was moving "for 4 years" to NZ. I'm sure at this point of the "writing" stage, it's feasible to do it via tele and flying every 3 weeks; but with these other projects hovering in the back of his mind and not being planted in the environment (NZ) that would possibly inspire him whilst writing TH/F2... I'd think it would affect the creative juices. Maybe not, but phonecalls and distractions about the other projects' writers/business/prep would certainly knock my concentration around.

However, I'm hoping that this first run-through/drafting of the scripts can weather this and be refined with the switching back and forth with Peter & Co. I trust Peter :)

sample

"Barney Snow was here." ~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

I really need these new films to take me back to, and not re-introduce me to, that magical world.

TORn's Observations Lists

Nickey08
Bree

Sep 5 2008, 6:26pm

Post #3 of 6 (502 views)
Shortcut
Speaking as one who is learing first hand about the film industry... [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm absolutely tickled-pink about GDT's full dance card. A lot of directors (as well as everyone else in the film industry) require a laundry list of future films to forecast. One never knows which one will take off and which one will end up being wishful thinking. "The Hobbit" (it would seem) is a foregone conclusion at this point. No one here should worry, and at this stage should leave GDT alone about whether or not he's investing his time wisely. After seeing "Hellboy 2", I have every faith that "Hobbit" will be spectacular. Every one of those titles listed in the Variety article is a work that I am thrilled GDT will be fleshing out in his own unique style. I'm particularly intrigued by "The Mountains of Madness".

Regardless, try to put yourselves in his shoes: He just put out a marvelous film that he has every right to be proud of, and 50% (or more) of the time it gets brushed to the side to get asked about "The Hobbit". Sure, "The Hobbit" is big news, but people, let the guy have his day for what he's doing now too. If it were me, and I just spent all that time, money, and emotional investment in a film project only to be asked, "So, your next thing..." ...ugh...

Please, people, have some faith.

http://www.myspace.com/nickeydrayer

Huan71
Lorien

Sep 5 2008, 10:34pm

Post #4 of 6 (513 views)
Shortcut
Yer...good point! [In reply to] Can't Post

Whilst Hb2's being made then shown in cinemas world wide all everybody was asking him was....
"what about the Hobbit...Hows things with the Hobbit.." etc..... All over the media !
Maybe its gonna be lots of "whats next for Guillermo..." all over the place whilst we want all the attention on the Hobbit !?? lol
Maybe we'll see how the die hard Hellboy fans felt...

Elven
Valinor

Sep 6 2008, 6:52am

Post #5 of 6 (492 views)
Shortcut
Whoa .. dont get me wrong ... [In reply to] Can't Post

Wink ... you should read some of my posts - I have great faith in the entire team, and I am very supportive of not only Guillermo, but also everyone else who will go along for the amazing ride and the years which lie ahead.
... and Ive noticed, even though Guillermo may be promoting his films, he also adds with enthusiasm any news he has about the Hobbit voluntarily - he doesnt need much of a prompt - nor does he seem hesitant or reluctant to discuss such things - whether the news has been 'released' by the studios or not - he's a step ahead of them Wink and he's been generous and very willing to share.
Im glad to see the focus come back on him and his achievements, past and present - with Universal studios support.

I am looking forward to the Mountains of Madness as well as the rest of his films - but like most of us here, Im really looking forward to the Hobbit - and the other films which will follow will be hot on the tail of it.
Gee I hope he's penciled in another holiday somewhere between now and 2025 Smile

Cheers Nickey08
Elven x

Were off to Hobbiton finally!

Tolkien was a Capricorn!!
Russell Crowe for Beorn!!

Quote of The Week: A I LOVE cats and I love TV. And I love to watch cats on TV. Ron Perlman

Eruthurin
Rivendell

Sep 11 2008, 1:21am

Post #6 of 6 (523 views)
Shortcut
And not only Guillermo... [In reply to] Can't Post

Believe me, every single actor who is close to GDT and made more than one movie with him (i.e Ron Perlman, Doug Jones, Luke Goss, Federico Luppi) was questioned about being involved in The Hobbit Projects.... can you imagine that in the Hellboy Premiere?.... Jeez!.... Poor guys!!... one thing at a time!!!... give them a brake!!....

:: All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you ::
Tapatía Orgullosa de tener al paisano Zapopano en la Tierra Media!.... :D

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.