Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
There's no escaping it... even Mother Nature's gotta FLASH...

diedye
Grey Havens

Sep 1 2008, 2:03am

Post #1 of 23 (18493 views)
Shortcut
There's no escaping it... even Mother Nature's gotta FLASH... Can't Post

... BACK.

Here's your FLASHBACK for...

August 23 to August 30

August 29 – In response to a letter from Rayner Unwin expressing his interest in The Silmarillion and Tolkien’s other ongoing works, the professor updates him on the status of his writing and reveals his latest dictating project, which he is quite proud of…

Letter #134:

I am at last turning to my own affairs. The situation is this: I am anxious to publish The Lord of the Rings as soon as possible. I believe it to be a great (though not flawless) work. Let other things follow as they may. But as the expense of typing proved prohibitive, I had to do it all myself, and there is only one (more or less) fair copy in existence. I dare not consign that to the post, and in any case I am now going to devote some days to correcting it finally. […]

I have recently made some tape-recordings of pans of the Hobbit and The Lord (notably the Gollum-passages and some pieces of ‘Elvish’) and was much surprised to discover their effectiveness as recitations, and (if I may say so) my own effectiveness as a narrator, I do a very pretty Gollum and Treebeard. Could not the BBC be interested? The tape-reel is in the possession of George Sayer (English Master at Malvern) and I am sure he would forward it for your or anyone else’s trial. It was unrehearsed and impromptu and could be improved.

August 26 – Rayner Unwin sends a congratulatory letter to Tolkien on the publication of FOTR, which is already garnering requests for repeat orders and inquiries about the other two installments. “The reviews (with the honourable exception of C.S. Lewis’s magnificent essay in Time and Tide) have been equivocal but on the whole seem to have served their purpose by exciting curiosity about the book…” and with luck, Allen & Unwin will publish TTT in November. (HarperCollins archive)

August 29 – Tolkien is informed by Rayer Unwin that he has won the International Fantasy Award and that an invitation is being sent for him to attend a luncheon on September 10th, at which time he will be presented with the award, which, he is informed, is in the shape of a rocket incorporating a Ronson lighter.

c. August 30 – While staying with C.S. (“Jack”) Lewis and his wife Joy and brother Warren in Oxford, George Sayer spends this evening with Jack, Tolkien and R.E. Havard at Studley Priory, Lewis’s favourite country hotel. While Jack is paying the dinner bill, Sayer engages Tolkien in conversation…

… we talked a little about his health. Tolkien was gloomy about the terrible strains and anxieties Jack was suffering: Warren’s drunkenness, two rather difficult boys, and ‘a strange marriage’ to ‘a sick and domineering woman’. It turned out that what worried him most was that she was a divorcee. He did not accept my argument that she could not have been divorced, since as a Christian she had never been married. However, the reappearance of Jack forestalled a discussion of this question.

(Jack: A Life of C.S. Lewis, 2nd edition, by George Sayer)

August 24 – Tolkien sends the revised and corrected Hobbit text to Rayner Unwin with a letter…

I have (I hope) resisted the inclination to ‘improve’ The Hobbit – except for removing the ‘author-to-reader’ asides, in some places: very irritating to intelligent children (as some have said). There are some corrections due to the actual errors and discrepancies in the tale itself; some that try to make things clearer. But since in order to spot these things – including printer’s errors that still survive! – one has to read the whole with line-to-line care, it seemed to me a pity not to get rid of a few happy-go-lucky passages that are quite out of joint. The Hobbit is taken as a prologue to The [Lord of the Rings] and though no one expects consistency between the two to be exact, it is a pity that some passages in The [Hobbit] should be completely impossible in The [Lord of the Rings]. I hope you will agree, for instance, that the alterations in Ch. II provide that the journey as far as the first troll-adventure though suitably rapid and understated now could be a quick glance at the same country that is described in the long work.

(HarperCollins archive)

August 29 – Replying to a letter from Donald Swann, Tolkien reveals that neither he nor his wife are very well, health-wise. Both are arthritic, and he is “supposed to be wearing a kind of rubber dog collar”, but rarely does so. They hope to take a cruise on September 15th that will take them from Southampton to as far as the Aegean Sea.

August 28William “Billy” Boyd, who played Pippin in Peter Jackson’s LOTR trilogy, is born on this day in Glasgow, Scotland.

August 26Kenneth Sisam, Assistant Secretary and Secretary to the Delegates of Oxford University Press who worked on the Oxford English Dictionary and was Tolkien’s tutor, dies.

August 28Rumor has it that WETA is using Steve Buscemi as a model for the CGI-animated Gollum.

August 30AICN’s Harry Knowles reports that Sean Bean is in negotiations to take on the role of Boromir, which, considering the actor’s personal preferred role was that of Aragorn, is not a bad second choice.

--> Michael Deluca shoots down the rumor that Steve Buscemi is Gollum: ”Nope, he's some unknown Brit”, as well as Ben Affleck’s involvement with LOTR and Peter Woodthorpe being considered for Ghan-buri Ghan.

August 24 – The September issue of Ciné Live magazine reveals Viggo Mortensen in all his Aragorn glory…

August 30 – A TORn spy sends along pics of the Isengard set… and there’s that spiky wheel again!

August 25 – Sir Ian McKellen discusses his trip to Cannes to promote LOTR in the latest installment of his Grey Book, with some insight on what goes on the film festival, such as film deals, press junkets, reporters’ foot-in-mouth-diseased questions, and how one’s sanity is tested after hours and even days of the “same ol’, same ol” questions. He also expresses what it was like to see the first completed footage from the LOTRtrilogy and provides a couple of pics of himself and the cast at Cannes:

August 25 – The official poster makes its first appearance on the film trilogy’s official site

August 28 – The popular cartoon Hi and Lois gets Hobbitized

August 23-29Variety bestows its “Showman of the Year” award to Bob Shaye and Michael Lynne of New Line Cinema…

August 26-27-28LOTR gets no respect from Get Fuzzy’s Bucky the cat…

August 28 – In his latest E-post, Sir Ian McKellen shows off his Elvish “Nine” and explains why Gandalf the White’s beard is shorter than the Grey’s.

All info has been collected from Hammond & Scull's "J.R.R. Tolkien Companion & Guide"; "The Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien", TORn and various sites on the web.

Mar
Gondor

Sep 1 2008, 3:31am

Post #2 of 23 (5357 views)
Shortcut
So good to come home to the boards and find your post [In reply to] Can't Post

It has been a busy past several months with a new house in a new state, new job, new life and 19 assorted visitors (including their dogs). Not all at once, thank goodness - - things should settle down now for awhile.

I just want to say how much I appreciate your posts diedye - thats all.

Fear is a bad habit. Despair is lazy. Evil is boring.
The universe is friendly. Life is on your side.

diedye
Grey Havens

Sep 1 2008, 4:17am

Post #3 of 23 (5262 views)
Shortcut
Welcome back, Mar!... [In reply to] Can't Post

I hope things settle down for you and we'll be seeing you a lot around these parts. Smile

Patty
Immortal

Sep 1 2008, 4:32am

Post #4 of 23 (5279 views)
Shortcut
Diedye this is great.. [In reply to] Can't Post

Fun and informative. And it sends me back to those heady "who is playing whom" days. Bean wanted to be Aragorn? I had no idea. Yes, I like him, but he's a much better Boromir.

Thanks for all of these: they are very much enjoyed; never doubt it.

Permanent address: Into the West

ElanorTX
Tol Eressea

Sep 1 2008, 5:27am

Post #5 of 23 (5241 views)
Shortcut
your FLASHes [In reply to] Can't Post

will cover many, many birthday mathoms. Thanks again!

"I shall not wholly fail if anything can still grow fair in days to come."

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 1 2008, 6:31am

Post #6 of 23 (5299 views)
Shortcut
Heheheheheh [In reply to] Can't Post

That 2000 Cine Live magazine pic of Aragorn reminds me of the many 'fwoar!' messages posted about His Royal Hotness - particularly in the lead-up to The Two Towers when the trailer showed Aragorn opening the doors of Helm's Deep (although we thought at the time it was Meduseld) looking all sweaty and masculine. Cool

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

leo
Rohan

Sep 1 2008, 9:49am

Post #7 of 23 (5309 views)
Shortcut
I remember Cannes... [In reply to] Can't Post

I was lucky enough to attend all those pressjunketts and parties, it was a once in a lifetime experience.

The party (and interviews) was in a castle up in the hills around Cannes. It took a bus a good 45 minutes to get there and then we had to walk all the way up to the castle. We (Calisuri and myself) were in the same batch as Harry from IACN, great fun) and he had a hard time getting there. But the party... wow... I've been to three of TORn's Oscar-parties, but they didn't compare to this one. It was great. You could mingle with the cast and crew all you wanted, and everyone ended up drunk. I have a copy of LOTR with some interesting autographs/quotes from cast and crew around here somewhere...

Good times..

And I absolutely love that Aragorn-picture by the way, it is brilliant! I was so excited when I first saw it, they casted him spot on. Same thing with the Argonath-poster, that has been on my wall for a lot of years.

Elven
Valinor

Sep 1 2008, 10:46am

Post #8 of 23 (5278 views)
Shortcut
What a week ... [In reply to] Can't Post

OMG - Ive never seen that cast picture before! No wonder everyone went crazy over Aragorn - what a nice photo!
Pity there are so little interviews and pics of Cate Blanchet with the cast ...

and thank you for Ian McKellens tattoo pic - Ive always wanted to see that.

I love the photo of the award Tolkien was given - with the Ronson lighter ... LOL!

and Gollum and Steve Buscemi must be related - distant 2nd cousin on his mothers side perhaps?

Excellent diedye Smile
thanks for another great week of flashbacks!

Cheers
Elven x

Were off to Hobbiton finally!

Tolkien was a Capricorn!!
Russell Crowe for Beorn!!

Quote of The Week: A I LOVE cats and I love TV. And I love to watch cats on TV. Ron Perlman

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 1 2008, 12:02pm

Post #9 of 23 (5212 views)
Shortcut
I'm going to have to start calling you The Flash! [In reply to] Can't Post

Geez I love these things, diedye! They're so much work, and I so thoroughly appreciate it!

I didn't know that Tolkien's readings were impromptu and only mean to (it seems) record some of his original work off the only "complete" or good copy of The Lord of the Rings. I can see why he would be concerned about letting out of his sight!

I've got to go through and read this again... with a smile on my face!

THANK YOU!!!!

sample

"Barney Snow was here." ~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

TORn's Observations Lists

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 1 2008, 1:15pm

Post #10 of 23 (5230 views)
Shortcut
That pic! [In reply to] Can't Post

I loved it when I first saw it! Doesn't Elijah look so young?

And Ian McKellan was such a sport, to go along with the tattoing. I think it was Alan Lee who devised it for them.

As I recall, Tolkien was rather bemused by that award!

Thanks so much for another "blast from the past", diedye!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

"It struck me last night that you might write a fearfully good romantic drama, with as much of the 'supernatural' as you cared to introduce. Have you ever thought of it?"
-Geoffrey B. Smith, letter to JRR Tolkien, 1915

hobbitlove
Gondor

Sep 1 2008, 9:09pm

Post #11 of 23 (5191 views)
Shortcut
Brilliant as usual! These are tORn classics already; amazing, inspiring, and just dang wonderful! A zillion thanks!// [In reply to] Can't Post

Check out
QTNA
Movie Discussions

hob
(former nick: "HobbitLoveR*M-e" among several others)

hobbitlove
Gondor

Sep 1 2008, 9:25pm

Post #12 of 23 (5270 views)
Shortcut
Oh, for cryin' out loud!!!! You were there! [In reply to] Can't Post

How can you just so casually say that? I would go down on my knees and beg, I would kiss your hand, um, your ring, yes, precious, I would vow to serve the leo, if you would just tell us more.
Please, please give us more details!
Did you write a long report at the time? We wants more.

hob

PS: In all seriousness, I think it may say a lot about you, gentle sir, that you remember H.Knowles' issues ( he has health problems doesn't he?) as being as important on that evening as any drunken remarks of the actors. I've only read a little about those days. They truly were 'once in a lifetime' experiences.

Check out
QTNA
Movie Discussions

hob
(former nick: "HobbitLoveR*M-e" among several others)

Jazmine
Tol Eressea

Sep 1 2008, 9:44pm

Post #13 of 23 (5252 views)
Shortcut
Oh that scene! [In reply to] Can't Post

Makes me weak at the knees everytime!

*Jazminatar the Brown*

leo
Rohan

Sep 2 2008, 11:58am

Post #14 of 23 (5244 views)
Shortcut
What happened in Cannes, stays in Cannes ;-) [In reply to] Can't Post

I did write a report if I recall correctly, but that was so long ago I think it disappeared by now. In Harry's reports about those days he does mention us (the Dutch pirates). And I do remember a lot of the drunken remarks of actors as well (I had some great drunken conversations with Billby Boyd and Orlando Bloom for instance, about football) but not all because, well, I was drunk too ;-) And I don't have to go back all that far for drunken actors, I've seen those at parties and conventions as well...

hobbitlove
Gondor

Sep 3 2008, 12:06am

Post #15 of 23 (5230 views)
Shortcut
You aren't a very good fan girl... [In reply to] Can't Post

Not even one little tiny squeee escapes those sealed lips.
Harrrumph!Unsure
Fine! Be that way!

hobWink

* going off to Google "the Dutch pirates" * Tongue

Visit the Movie Boards - LOTR for QTNA:Back to Basics

hob

ElanorTX
Tol Eressea

Sep 3 2008, 12:57am

Post #16 of 23 (5201 views)
Shortcut
leo's a guy // [In reply to] Can't Post

"I shall not wholly fail if anything can still grow fair in days to come."

Eowyn of Penns Woods
Valinor

Sep 3 2008, 5:41am

Post #17 of 23 (5212 views)
Shortcut
But he's on a "femine" board. // [In reply to] Can't Post

hobbitlove
Gondor

Sep 3 2008, 7:07am

Post #18 of 23 (5212 views)
Shortcut
Thanks. [In reply to] Can't Post

I did know that, but I think the dear fellow is being far too discreet. This site was built on good spy reports. We need to bully him a bit.
Wink

No, I'm just teasing. I don't want to know any of the gory details of decadence and indulgence; these are our sweet boys after all and I'm a grandmother - too old for that stuff.

Cheers,
hobTongue

Visit the Movie Discussions - LOTR for QTNA

hob

leo
Rohan

Sep 3 2008, 7:59am

Post #19 of 23 (5189 views)
Shortcut
That's because I like women ;-) // [In reply to] Can't Post

leo
Rohan

Sep 3 2008, 8:01am

Post #20 of 23 (5220 views)
Shortcut
To be honest, I don't even remember most of it anymore... [In reply to] Can't Post

It was years ago after all, and I was drunk as well :-) And the really fun stories are better left for times when we can share them with drinks as well...

hobbitlove
Gondor

Sep 3 2008, 5:16pm

Post #21 of 23 (5199 views)
Shortcut
Sorry to tease. I look forward to that drink someday... [In reply to] Can't Post

Visit the Movie Discussions - LOTR for QTNA

hob

Peredhil lover
Valinor

Sep 3 2008, 8:09pm

Post #22 of 23 (5203 views)
Shortcut
Oh but [In reply to] Can't Post

teasing is fun. And anyway, you asked what I didn't dare to Wink

I do not suffer from LotR obsession - I enjoy every minute of it.

leo
Rohan

Sep 4 2008, 7:40am

Post #23 of 23 (5174 views)
Shortcut
I'll be sure to save some of the juicy stories for when we do ;-) // [In reply to] Can't Post

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.