Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums:
User Profile: Beren IV

Beren IV
Title: Gondor
Last Logon: Dec 18 2009, 9:58pm
Date of Birth: 0000-00-00
Local Time: 3:44 pm
Interests: Evolutionary succession, especially in plants and plant communities Other things having to do with science (but less interested in technology or engineering) Fantasy and science fiction The Outdoors
First Lord of the Rings reading experience: I was young, I don't remember how young, about eight, I believe. It stuck with me.
Favorite Tolkien character: Lúthien seems to me to be the quintessential heroine of the entire legendarium: a woman of yes, legendary parentage, but nonetheless a being of a normal kindred, who through her courage, love, and resourcefulness, rises up to defeat even the mightiest of the gods themselves. My first real encounter with her was in reading The Tale of Tinúviel in the Book of Lost Tales II, the second book in the History of Middle Earth series (I read that before the Silmarillion). As such, my image of her, and more importantly of Beren, is colored vividly by the initial writing, as is my preferred vision of their fates - that they might come back someday, if and when Melkor comes back. To me, she and Beren seem to be more heroic and more integral to the nature of the world even than the Lord of the Rings characters. There isn't an obvious analogue to Beren or Lúthien in the Lord of the Rings as the roles that each carries in his or her own story in the Silmarillion are instead carried by a combination of characters in The Lord of the Rings. Nonetheless, as others have described it on this forum, the Lord of the Rings is indeed a "loud echo" of the epics of the First Age.
Less Filling or Tastes Great: Tastes Great
Elves and Dragons or Cabbages and Potatoes: Elves and Dragons
Email: No email entered.

Search all forums for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.