Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
The Hobbit Scripts
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 24 2008, 5:57pm

Post #76 of 81 (82 views)
Shortcut
Can you elaborate? [In reply to] Can't Post

I like your interpretation and I'd like to hear more.

I always thought that Gandalf sat there wondering how the war would go since with Faramir gone, he was really the only one left who could lead Gondor's soldiers into battle - Denethor would lead from the back, as it were.

Either that, or since Faramir told him of the route Frodo and Sam intended taking, his thought was going out to them in some way that we mortals can't understand. During the Last Debate, he says "Frodo has passed beyond my sight." and I always wondered what it meant to have Frodo in sight.

In Reply To
In the same way, the tiny scene when, just after Faramir goes out needlessly to his death with his riders, Gandalf is seen sitting alone and silent and concentrated for a brief moment in a little courtyard somewhere in Minas Tirith, is always for me the very important moment when he concentrates inwardly to save at least his beloved Faramir from this deadly mission, and preserve in him the only worthy heir of Numenor besides Aragorn.

Crows and Gibbets! What is The House Of Eorl but a thatched barn where brigands drink in the reek, and their brats roll around on the floor with their dogs! You are but a lesser son of greater Sires.

FarFromHome
Valinor

May 24 2008, 7:45pm

Post #77 of 81 (91 views)
Shortcut
I like your interpretation [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
In the same way, the tiny scene when, just after Faramir goes out needlessly to his death with his riders, Gandalf is seen sitting alone and silent and concentrated for a brief moment in a little courtyard somewhere in Minas Tirith, is always for me the very important moment when he concentrates inwardly to save at least his beloved Faramir from this deadly mission, and preserve in him the only worthy heir of Numenor besides Aragorn.

I agree that this "tiny scene" is very striking. I guess in my own mind I imagine very much what you describe. In fact, I sometimes think that he's not just "concentrating inwardly" but praying - calling on the Higher Powers, who are only hinted at from time to time, to intervene. A few things give me that impression - one is Gandalf's posture, which makes him look like a priest or bishop during a liturgical ceremony, another is the architecture he's framed by, with its church-like colonnades and arched windows. And perhaps most of all, it's the clear note of a bell that sounds as we see Gandalf here. None of this "proves" anything, of course. But I do find myself believing that at this moment, Gandalf understands that there's no longer any active help he can provide for Faramir, and so he prays for him.

...and the sails were drawn up, and the wind blew,
and slowly the ship slipped away down the long grey firth;
and the light of the glass of Galadriel that Frodo bore
glimmered and was lost.

Starling
Half-elven

May 24 2008, 10:08pm

Post #78 of 81 (67 views)
Shortcut
Yes, yes, yes! [In reply to] Can't Post

You have expressed this so well, thank you.
I find this 'tiny scene' one of the most striking and moving in the whole trilogy.
I have always thought of it as some kind of 'prayerful' moment, too.
It is simply beautiful to look at, and the music works wonderfully with the ringing of the bell.

xxxyyy
Rohan

May 24 2008, 11:58pm

Post #79 of 81 (77 views)
Shortcut
I don't want a Harry Potter movie [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
...on why you feel those scenes on film represent improvements over The Lord of the Rings as a book?

Please bear with me... it would take too long for me to write what I think. I just say that I like those scenes better in the movies than in the book.

In Reply To
And how does The Hobbit seem like a book "written by a child" in ways that other classic literature for children, like Green Eggs and Ham, or The Wind in the Willows, or Winnie the Pooh, does not?

It's TOO linear, it's TOO simple (ok, it's a children book... so I hope they don't make a children movie) it heavily relies upon fortuitous elements it's almost embarrassing (ok, also LOTR does that, but over there there are so many explanations and descriptions of the events you basically don't bother about it).
I hope they modify it as much as possible, to reach that level in the movie Trilogy.
I want a deep movie, deeper than the book... I don't want a Harry Potter movie...

Lunamoth
Rohan

May 25 2008, 12:44am

Post #80 of 81 (74 views)
Shortcut
I don't think you have to worry [In reply to] Can't Post

GDT said in chat today that it would be an intense PG-13 film. That doesn't scream "kids movie" to me.

Peredhil lover
Valinor

May 25 2008, 3:56pm

Post #81 of 81 (86 views)
Shortcut
Ah yes [In reply to] Can't Post

that explains a lot - thanks! I think I have even seen that somewhere, but had completely forgotten about it. Hooray for all the experts on TORn who are able to refresh my memory!

Maybe I should explain that the LotR I read first was a three volume edition without appendices (these were sold separately and my friend didn't own them, I believe) - so I had no way to learn where the Arwen storyline came from. Without the explanations in the appendices it is rather confusing.

After reading some of the HoME volumes, I have an idea how Tolkien worked. To be honest, I find it even daunting to imagine that he wrote so many versions by hand! Not to mention all these changes necessary after new ideas ... imagine to rewrite so much of the story if he could have make it work! My hand hurts simply for thinking about that!
Well, I still think the wedding was too abrupt, but at least it is understandable why he wrote it that way.

I do not suffer from LotR obsession - I enjoy every minute of it.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.