Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Confirmed Viggo returning as aragorn
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Elven
Valinor

May 22 2008, 1:26am

Post #26 of 41 (198 views)
Shortcut
.. and that I also agree ... [In reply to] Can't Post

Eowyns comments in the EE bring the message home for continuity as well - and he still stomached that soup and didnt die Wink he has some lasting qualities!

From GdT's comments - I dont think they would change Aragorn.

and as for writing for someone who has laready played the part - what a dream! Its easier I think to see them do the role and play the part you're scripting as you write - there is more clarity - we may find this script more fitting for Viggo and the rest of the reinstated cast than before. The writer may stretch these actors - and Im sure the actors know these roles so well - it makes it more of a point not to change them (IMHO).

Were off to Hobbiton finally!

Tolkien was a Capricorn!!
Russell Crowe for Beorn!!

Kelvarhin
Half-elven

May 22 2008, 5:51am

Post #27 of 41 (213 views)
Shortcut
Boy have the newsboards jumped on this one LOL [In reply to] Can't Post

Check em all out Tongue

http://www.cinematical.com/...lan-all-in-hobbit-t/
http://news.google.com.au/...J_qBqsgB3NeRzrZM3PmQ
http://news.google.com.au/...qvsA5hUDN-ds1xzKgIHA
http://news.google.com.au/...ru7XACXQQDdGi26YR7oA plus another 14. Boy this is fun EvilEvilAngelic

There he stood
Proud and solemn
Yet happy and gay

leo
Rohan

May 22 2008, 11:31am

Post #28 of 41 (182 views)
Shortcut
I don't really think we need a younger actor for Aragorn... [In reply to] Can't Post

And I'll tell you why.

First of all, I own Hollywood Stock Exchange-stock in Viggo Mortensen.

Secondly, and this is perhaps a more valid reason, in LOTR Aragorn/Strider is described as this guy who has travelled the world, has seen a lot of action and whatnot. A scruffy guy. Like the guy we see in Bree in FOTR. The gradually as the movies (and books) progress, we see him coming into his own. Most notably with the smooth hair silly beard at the end of ROTK.

But in the bridge movie, he's still this scruffy looking fellow. I think he can be played with Viggo, he certainly looks scruffy enough to me. And age can't really be an issue, because Aragorn was old enough at the time. Heck, if I recall correctly he was 80-something during LOTR. So Viggo Mortensen with his almost 50 years should be well able to play a 'younger' Aragorn.

But for me, most of it is still the stock. It has to go up man, it just has to!

mae govannen
Tol Eressea

May 22 2008, 11:34am

Post #29 of 41 (219 views)
Shortcut
You're right, but still Viggo said already months ago [In reply to] Can't Post

that he would be definitely interested, so that too should be remembered and taken into account in our expectations...!

'Is everything sad going to come untrue?'
(Sam, 'The Field of Cormallen', in 'The Return of the King'.)

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

May 22 2008, 1:27pm

Post #30 of 41 (185 views)
Shortcut
You are thinking like loremasters and fanboys [In reply to] Can't Post

Alot of people have no idea that Aragorn was 50, and to use Viggo through the whole of film two will make the lack of change in Gandalf and The Elves seem less significant. I don't think Ben (though there are other actors) is such a bad choice for a young Aragorn. Remember, the Ranger became a hard a$ through years of toil and travel, he wasn't born rugged. And I think the scene of a younger Aragorn actor with Liv would bring closer and make clearer just how disparate their relationship was in years. She was far older than he, despite her youthful beauty, and that might come across well with a younger actor playing him at their first meeting.

I do share the fears of those who don't want to see an adult Aragorn ANYWHERE in the Hobbit (brief scene of him as child in Rivendell, hopefully being tutored in lore or martial arts (with arms) by . . . Glorfindel! Laugh). And I don't want to see him parading around as a grown man at Dol Guldur either.

Viggo will be great for the Gollum Hunt and Shire Guard. Maybe we see him leaving Gondor near the death of Ecthellion. To much more than that thogh would be problematic, and derail what should probably be the main plotline dealing with the larger machinations of Sauron and Gandalf etc.

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

leo
Rohan

May 22 2008, 3:19pm

Post #31 of 41 (166 views)
Shortcut
Good points. [In reply to] Can't Post

I guess part of me doesn't want to see anyone else as Aragorn, because I think Viggo Mortensen did an excellent job. Period. I am sure someone else could do an equal and maybe better job, but if there is no real reason the change, then I'd rather they didn't. And the age thing is true to the books, so it doesn't have to change.

I agree with you on the lack of change in Gandalf and Elves is less significant point though, hadn't thought about it like that. But there are ways of working around that. Like I said, in the movies Viggo/Aragorn was weathered as well, he definitely looks older at the end then in the beginning. It's in slight details. And the change doesn't have to be in age, it can be in landscapes, buildings etc.

And my stock... ;-)

Annael
Half-elven

May 22 2008, 3:47pm

Post #32 of 41 (154 views)
Shortcut
I'd just like to see [In reply to] Can't Post

a younger actor for the 20-year-old Aragorn, when he's fresh and naive and full of hope and has just fallen in love. I think the contrast between that Aragorn and Viggo's hard-worn Ranger would speak volumes about what he endures over 60-odd years.

It is good to have an end to journey toward, but it is the journey that matters in the end. - Ursula Le Guin

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Patty
Immortal

May 22 2008, 4:04pm

Post #33 of 41 (151 views)
Shortcut
I get your point, but... [In reply to] Can't Post

given the choice I'd still love to have Viggo back if they could work it into the script in the right way. Ben would be a good choice for young Aragorn though, I agree. Especially with a little facial hair.

Hanging out with the Lonely Isle elves.

Mirabella_Bunce
Rivendell

May 22 2008, 5:20pm

Post #34 of 41 (154 views)
Shortcut
Kids today ;) [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm thinking that the folks who think Viggo can't play a young Aragorn, are probably pretty young themselves. You are in for a very pleasant surprise when you turn 50 and find out it's not as "old" as you think it is now! Well, that is: if you take care of yourselves now, and eat right and get your exercise, anyway.... ;)

[Oh, btw, please don't think I mean "kid" in a derogatory way. At my age, anyone under 35 is a kid to me! I mean, after all: 60 is the new 30...]

OK so maybe he's not as fresh-faced and baby-cheeked as a just-out-of-his-tweens (for a Numenorean) kid, but I'm sure a little makeup and - especially - wig-work - will more than make up for that, especially since any young-Aragorn scenes would probably be relatively short.

(This post was edited by Mirabella_Bunce on May 22 2008, 5:26pm)

Patty
Immortal

May 22 2008, 5:27pm

Post #35 of 41 (153 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, they could use the... [In reply to] Can't Post

youthening computer work as done on Magneto and the Professor in X-Men 3.

(somebody had to say it!Laugh)

Hanging out with the Lonely Isle elves.

Eledhwen
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 22 2008, 8:12pm

Post #36 of 41 (136 views)
Shortcut
Oh, please no! [In reply to] Can't Post

I thought that was horrible. Made them look kind of plasticky.

Akaroa jetty, New Zealand, March 2008

Akaroa jetty

Kelvarhin
Half-elven

May 23 2008, 7:33am

Post #37 of 41 (107 views)
Shortcut
Just think of it as a preview of the action figures ;-) // [In reply to] Can't Post

There he stood
Proud and solemn
Yet happy and gay

Annael
Half-elven

May 23 2008, 2:57pm

Post #38 of 41 (107 views)
Shortcut
makeup doesn't cover all the signs of age [In reply to] Can't Post

trust me, I'm in my 50s and I know.Crazy

I walked past a woman the other day who from the back looked like a young thing - miniskirt, high heels, long curly blonde hair - but as I passed her I looked at her face and she must have been 65. Clearly she'd had "work" done - the plumped lips were scary - and she was wearing a ton of makeup, but the end result was just . . . grotesque.
Poor thing.

All I'm saying is that to see - even briefly - a young and fresh-faced Aragorn when he first learns of his heritage and then meets Arwen would provide a great contrast to Viggo's weathered features and speak volumes about what Aragorn goes through.

It is good to have an end to journey toward, but it is the journey that matters in the end. - Ursula Le Guin

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Mirabella_Bunce
Rivendell

May 23 2008, 3:30pm

Post #39 of 41 (104 views)
Shortcut
But this is Viggo we're talking about... :) [In reply to] Can't Post

Not a lot of signs of age to have to cover, here, really, not with him. And no I do not have an insane crush on him, it's merely ummm, admiration, yah, that's it. I could stop any time I wanted to... Angelic

Gethsemane
The Shire

May 24 2008, 7:14pm

Post #40 of 41 (80 views)
Shortcut
not quite [In reply to] Can't Post

Along with others members comments, sadly viggo's participation is yet to be confirmed. Its always good practice to confirm from a number of sources (something i did for both Andy and Sir Ian's involvement) before jumping the gun. The latest news from the Viggo camp is both parties are in discussion. While id love to see viggo reprise his role, I'm also aware Viggo wont commit to said role without consideration, which I'm sure most agree is one of the reasons Viggo is Viggo and the Aragorn we all so cherish.

it's good to have an end to journey towards, but it's the journey that matters in the end

Finduilas101
Rivendell

Jun 10 2008, 6:26pm

Post #41 of 41 (59 views)
Shortcut
Some of you need to check your Viggo/Aragorn facts... [In reply to] Can't Post

A) Viggo is only 49

B) Aragorn did actually play quite a role during the timespan of the Hobbit. He spent most of that time helping Gandalf and running around after Gollum. Most of this is explained in FOTR, in the Council of Elrond.

C) Viggo was probably THE MOST commited actor on the movie!

If anyone else has already said this, forgive me...I haven't gotten around to reading ALL the posts yet.

"I like cooking, but I like other people cooking more." -David Wenham

"I think being different, going against the grain of society, is the greatest thing in the world." -Elijah Wood.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.