Weekly Lost Thread
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Entwife Wandlimb
Lorien

Mar 17 2007, 6:06am

Post #26 of 38 (265 views)
Shortcut
Jack isn't... (spoilers if you have been watching) [In reply to] Can't Post

... on the list. Remember Ben and somebody bickering about him since he wasn't on the list? So, I don't think he's one that "they" want, just Ben.

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 17 2007, 7:46am

Post #27 of 38 (237 views)
Shortcut
What was it... [In reply to] Can't Post

they said his tattoos meant?

"He walks among us, but he is not one of us"

Silverlode

Between the acting of a dreadful thing
And the first motion, all the interim is
Like a phantasma, or a hideous dream:
The genius and the plan thus inspired
Depart me and I, entering a room,
Find myself on the threshold, stand still
And wonder what I came to do there.

Shelobs_Sneak
Rivendell

Mar 17 2007, 4:30pm

Post #28 of 38 (226 views)
Shortcut
Whoa! Never made that connection! [In reply to] Can't Post

I feel so stupid!

Shelobs_Sneak
Rivendell

Mar 17 2007, 4:38pm

Post #29 of 38 (222 views)
Shortcut
I like Locke's story... [In reply to] Can't Post

I like how the selfishness of his father effects every aspect of Locke's life. Very tragic and moving.
Except of the last flashback we saw where he was growing weed plants and almost killed a police officer. I wasn't able to fit that with the rest of his backstory.
I also love his theme music. Hope they have lots of it in the next episode! Sly

bejeweled_1
The Shire

Mar 17 2007, 4:55pm

Post #30 of 38 (244 views)
Shortcut
Role of fathers in Lost... [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, I really felt for Lock when his father used him for the organ transplant. How tragic! There seems to be an ongoing theme with the effect of fathers on many of the Lost characters...Locke's father, Jack's (also tragic) father who is now known to be Claire's father, Hurley's absentee father, Sun's overbearing father, Desmond's snotty potential father-in-law...am I missing any? Then of course, there's the Michael and Walt father-son story. Hmm...am I missing any? Oh...the late Shannon--her world was sure wrecked when her father died. And then there's Kate's father who had to turn her in. Gee.. Shocked

Morwen
Rohan

Mar 17 2007, 7:27pm

Post #31 of 38 (218 views)
Shortcut
That's a good point. [In reply to] Can't Post

Very often in real life the "heroes" who rescue us from our dilemmas turn out to be unbalanced, controlling, and even abusive men, while the quieter guys turn out to be the real heroes.

I still miss the "old" Locke, though. Frown

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

I wish you could have been there
When she opened up the door
And looked me in the face
Like she never did before
I felt about as welcome
As a Wal-Mart Superstore--John Prine

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 17 2007, 9:38pm

Post #32 of 38 (244 views)
Shortcut
I think that was... [In reply to] Can't Post

the result of his desperate need to belong, to have family. It didn't matter that what they were doing was illegal because they accepted him. The cop threatened that and nearly got killed for it. The problem with Locke is that he wants relationship and meaning and stability, but he seems to have no price, no boundaries set on them - in other words, promise him what he wants most and he'll do just about anything to get it. He'll sacrifice himself, others, whatever it takes for the cause, whatever it is.

And that's what makes him really dangerous. He's not a man of principle. He's a man driven to fill his emptiness and define himself in terms of something outside him. First with his father, then with his girlfriend, then with his dreams, then with the hatch, the island. It also makes him easy to manipulate. All you have to do is find the right argument, dangle the right carrot...if the Others offer him what he thinks he wants, look out!

Locke's been one of my favorite characters from the beginning (I Heart Terry O'Quinn), but I've always half expected him to go bad at some point. He's just not stable.

Silverlode

Foe
Lorien

Mar 17 2007, 11:11pm

Post #33 of 38 (230 views)
Shortcut
That's what it says... [In reply to] Can't Post

but it's not what it means.

Email Foe!

Foe's LiveJournal!

Foe's Myspace!

YIM, AIM, MSN= foehelm

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 18 2007, 12:34am

Post #34 of 38 (222 views)
Shortcut
Well.... [In reply to] Can't Post

That's what Jack thinks. But on a show like Lost, I suspect it can mean what it says and not mean what it says at the same time.

If you know what I mean.

Silverlode

Aerin
Grey Havens

Mar 18 2007, 6:24am

Post #35 of 38 (220 views)
Shortcut
That's a tough question... [In reply to] Can't Post

I think if I had to pick a favorite, it would be Sun's and Jin's (you can't really separate them), but Sayid's is pretty compelling, as well, and Eko's, as you say. Really, they all are.

Entwife Wandlimb
Lorien

Mar 18 2007, 11:49pm

Post #36 of 38 (221 views)
Shortcut
Yes and no [In reply to] Can't Post

I think Locke turned on the cop because of the personal betrayal involved. Deeply wounded by the repeated betrayal of his father, Locke was overwhelmed by simultaneously being betrayed by his adopted son/younger brother and effectively betraying his own new family.

I don't think he is exactly unprincipled. I think the exchange with Ecko is taught him to have faith in the island and Dharma and not be cynical. I think he repented from his rebellion in the hatch and so typed in 77 (or whatever the code was), fully realizing the consequences but viewing it as necessary. I think his (spoiler if you didn't watch the preview for this week) upcoming attack on the sub will be an extension of that obedience -- attacking the "hostiles" on behalf of Dharma.

YodatheHobbit
Rivendell

Mar 19 2007, 6:28pm

Post #37 of 38 (259 views)
Shortcut
Charlie's first one "The Moth" would be mine. [In reply to] Can't Post

I just rewatched that episode and I love the whole thing. I thnk it's my favorite episode. Being in a band myself, I can really relate to the way Charlie feels useless and how if he's not in this band, then he's no good to anyone. He only talks about his band not because he's self absorbed, but because he thinks Driveshaft is the only thing he's done worth mentioning. Also him having this a person(his brother), that he knew he could depend on turn into a differen't person due to a vice and ruining how you feel about the band you're in. I like the parts about the self doubt issues and actaully being stronger than you think you are. The scene where Locke tells Charile about the moth the cocoon is one of Lost's top best scenes.

When the seas and mountains fall and we come to end of days, in the dark I hear your call calling me there, i will go there and back again.

bejeweled_1
The Shire

Mar 20 2007, 2:54pm

Post #38 of 38 (333 views)
Shortcut
Charlie's curse [In reply to] Can't Post

I like Charlie's story too. It's another example of family tragedy (see my thread about the role of fathers)--only in this case, it's the brother who had an effect on Charlie's outcome. It'll be interesting to see if Charlie can escape the "curse" that Desmond has predicted. Did the vw bus episode rid him (and Hurley) of their respective curses or does that still remain to be seen...

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.