Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Why The Mirkwood Spiders will give you Nightmares
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Jazmine
Tol Eressea

May 16 2008, 7:23pm

Post #26 of 48 (148 views)
Shortcut
Being at least as wimpy as your husband when it comes to spiders... [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm afraid I too would think nothing of waking someone up to deal with a spider, even if they were ill! I don't know what it is about them that gets to me so much!! Someone recommended Spider Therapy, a group class where you work up to handling various spiders to overcome your fear. I think it ends when you can handle a tarantula. But oddly, I don't mind tarantulas as much. Its the non poisonous, yet super-fast variety of house spiders that really make my skin crawl!

*Jazminatar the Brown*

Darkstone
Immortal

May 16 2008, 7:31pm

Post #27 of 48 (153 views)
Shortcut
Who ya gonna call? Shelobbusters! [In reply to] Can't Post

I think we have an idea for the bridge movie. Picture Frodo, Sam, Merry, and Pippin walking around with unlicensed nuclear accelerators on their backs.

The audacious proposal stirred his heart. And the stirring became a song, and it mingled with the songs of Gil-galad and Celebrian, and with those of Feanor and Fingon. The song-weaving created a larger song, and then another, until suddenly it was as if a long forgotten memory woke and for one breathtaking moment the Music of the Ainur revealed itself in all glory. He opened his lips to sing and share this song. Then he realized that the others would not understand. Not even Mithrandir given his current state of mind. So he smiled and simply said "A diversion.

Lunamoth
Rohan

May 16 2008, 7:47pm

Post #28 of 48 (139 views)
Shortcut
*snort* Thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

Now I have that song in my head for the rest of the day! Tongue

merklynn
Lorien

May 16 2008, 8:18pm

Post #29 of 48 (133 views)
Shortcut
Snoring [In reply to] Can't Post

Once, a few years back, I awoke in the middle of the night to find a HUGE spider sat on the wall opposite my bed. Tried to ignore it but couldn't sleep knowing it was there.

Well, just remember, as with my anecdote, they wont necessarily stay away from you just because you reason they will stay in that one spot while you sleep. Trick is, don't sleep on your back with your mouth open.

Unrelated comment: I'm going to go see Prince Caspian tonight. I have no fear of mice, but this movie may change that.

Mirabella_Bunce
Rivendell

May 17 2008, 7:45am

Post #30 of 48 (124 views)
Shortcut
Hope they don't count on it [In reply to] Can't Post

....'cause not all girls *koff* are afraid of spiders. I never have been, either! In fact early into King King I found PJ's reliance on the "guaranteed" scariness of insects grew downright tedious after a very short while. You - well, OK, directors - really need to do something more to make them scary than just have them be bugs. A bug that scared me? The one that crawled into Sulu's head through his ear in Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan. THAT was scary!

Metaphid spiders (jumping spiders) are downright cool. The way they move is fascinating, the way they pivot to keep an eye on things moving around them - it's like they are some kind of alien machine on gimbals or something! And their faces remind me of little old, wise men ...I honest-to-Bob used to call the little gray ones "Gandalf" when I was a kid!

(This post was edited by Mirabella_Bunce on May 17 2008, 7:48am)

Elven
Valinor

May 17 2008, 1:23pm

Post #31 of 48 (129 views)
Shortcut
Im glad ... [In reply to] Can't Post

I didnt put up the bigger jpeg Shocked ... that gave me a fright when I when to look for the photo Laugh

That spider is much too manicured for my liking - quite yucky!

I like your story of your travelling spider. I had one in my car for over a year - I watched her grow and she was no problem ... then one day I went to the auto-car wash ... I never saw her again ... very sad business indeed. Frown I think I miss her now Frown Wink.

Were off to Hobbiton finally!

Tolkien was a Capricorn!!
Russell Crowe for Beorn!!

Kelvarhin
Half-elven

May 17 2008, 1:25pm

Post #32 of 48 (127 views)
Shortcut
Incey wincey spider... [In reply to] Can't Post

roflmao SlySlyEvilEvil

There he stood
Proud and solemn
Yet happy and gay

Magpie
Immortal

May 17 2008, 1:32pm

Post #33 of 48 (139 views)
Shortcut
Spiders in cars [In reply to] Can't Post

We used to have a spider in our van. It was a tunnel web sort of spider but not the kind New Zealand has. It was maybe the size of a quarter and it built a substantial tunnel web in the air vent that was on the top of the dash. We were doing extensive car traveling at the time so we kind of lived in the van. We fed it big ants.

We don't have dangerous spiders around here or big ones. So they get to live in the house if they want. I do tidy up the webbing they make (dust it down). But if I'm sweeping and one is dislodged, I wait for it to scuttle away before I commence. When you take the time to look at them, they have the most fascinating shapes and sizes. Some are so delicate....

Tolkien's propensity for Evil, Nasty Spiders was something I discussed in my first Tolkien discussion group. In folklore and mythology, spiders are not usually evil or nasty.

magpie avatar gallery ~ soundtrack website

Kelvarhin
Half-elven

May 17 2008, 1:47pm

Post #34 of 48 (117 views)
Shortcut
RE: spiders in cars [In reply to] Can't Post

Unfortunately the Huntsmen over here are huge, think bread plate and over in size and when they crawl out in your car you usually end up in a ditch. They're harmless but terrifying to look at *and really not nice on your head*

There he stood
Proud and solemn
Yet happy and gay

Kelvarhin
Half-elven

May 17 2008, 1:50pm

Post #35 of 48 (131 views)
Shortcut
Don't spiders eat moths? // [In reply to] Can't Post

There he stood
Proud and solemn
Yet happy and gay

Elven
Valinor

May 17 2008, 2:42pm

Post #36 of 48 (143 views)
Shortcut
I had a visit from this little guy ages ago ... not a scarey photo .. promise .. [In reply to] Can't Post

does he look familiar? Wink

Patty
Immortal

May 17 2008, 6:13pm

Post #37 of 48 (120 views)
Shortcut
I'm sorry Elven, but... [In reply to] Can't Post

what the heck is that?

Hanging out with the Lonely Isle elves.

Magpie
Immortal

May 17 2008, 7:22pm

Post #38 of 48 (110 views)
Shortcut
it's a... [In reply to] Can't Post

white fuzzy moth. Or were you wondering something else?

magpie avatar gallery ~ soundtrack website

Starling
Half-elven

May 17 2008, 9:40pm

Post #39 of 48 (104 views)
Shortcut
I love spiders [In reply to] Can't Post

I also let them live in my house. Every now and again I have to tidy up their webs, as it does look pretty awful if they get too numerous. I call this 'spider relocation day' and carefully remove them and give them a new home outside before I destroy their webs.
Spiders are fascinating and beautiful creatures, and I think they need a few people in their corner, so to speak.

(Of course we are lucky in NZ that the vast majority of spiders here are harmless to humans)

Lunamoth
Rohan

May 18 2008, 2:16am

Post #40 of 48 (103 views)
Shortcut
Some do... [In reply to] Can't Post

...but not this one. Wink

Lunamoth
Rohan

May 18 2008, 2:17am

Post #41 of 48 (105 views)
Shortcut
fuzzy white moth [In reply to] Can't Post

He's absolutely beautiful.

*had just rescued a moth from the guest bathroom*

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 18 2008, 8:33am

Post #42 of 48 (105 views)
Shortcut
Such a soft and furly spine on the little fellow... [In reply to] Can't Post

...how cute Smile

Crows and Gibbets! What is The House Of Eorl but a thatched barn where brigands drink in the reek, and their brats roll around on the floor with their dogs! You are but a lesser son of greater Sires.

Elven
Valinor

May 18 2008, 11:29am

Post #43 of 48 (111 views)
Shortcut
Son of Mothra :D [In reply to] Can't Post

Sorry I have been away for a day Smile ... Magpie kindly answered ... yes, its a little white velvety moth - like the one Gandalf keeps seeing ... this ones asleep though on my wall at home - he was soooo white and silkey ... not scarey at all ... posed for a few shots and then went outside again ..

He didnt have any messages for me though ... I did ask if the Eagles were coming ... he wouldn't let on.

Cheers Elven x

grammaboodawg
Immortal

May 19 2008, 1:14am

Post #44 of 48 (97 views)
Shortcut
These spiders talk! [In reply to] Can't Post

At least Bilbo can understand them when he's invisible (Ring Residuals?); so if they talk... *shudder*

I was bitten by a spider on my feet and between my toes as I slept one night not long ago, and it's REALLY painful! My Dad was bitten in the arm by a poisonous spider as he slept, and his entire arm swelled to nearly twice it's normal size and turned nearly black. He was down for weeks as he recovered... so I have issues with spider (and any bugs) attacking when I'm asleep and unprotected.

I've seen GdT's bug work in Pan's Labyrinth, and Weta totally owns realistic creations. I think that having Mirkwood so dark, and the black, large spiders coming from the trees and out of the darkness as they surround you would be terrifying if done right. I know the spiders in Arachnophobia were well done, and those in Harry Potter were effective... so I feel like Weta/del Toro/Jackson will have something very stupendous for us. :D

sample sample
Trust him... The Hobbit is coming!

"Barney Snow was here." ~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

TORn's Observations Lists

Kelvarhin
Half-elven

May 19 2008, 1:29am

Post #45 of 48 (96 views)
Shortcut
I was bitten by a red-back [In reply to] Can't Post

when I was 2, according to mum I was playing down a drain with my cousin and a friend Evil

Luckily for me it was a male, made me very sick but didn't kill. Poor old Mum, another trip to the hospital with me *grin*

Really starting to think that spiders have it in for me, Huntsman on my head, red-back bites my hand and a white-tip male bit me on the chest, crawled up my shirt while I was painting the old house. FrownBlush

There he stood
Proud and solemn
Yet happy and gay

grammaboodawg
Immortal

May 19 2008, 1:51am

Post #46 of 48 (96 views)
Shortcut
*shudder* Oh Cripes! I've got the heebie jeebies now! // [In reply to] Can't Post

sample sample
Trust him... The Hobbit is coming!

"Barney Snow was here." ~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

TORn's Observations Lists

Kelvarhin
Half-elven

May 19 2008, 2:05am

Post #47 of 48 (141 views)
Shortcut
Sorry gramma *hug* to make you feel better :-) // [In reply to] Can't Post

There he stood
Proud and solemn
Yet happy and gay

mylord99

Oct 29 2008, 9:53am

Post #48 of 48 (103 views)
Shortcut
Shudders [In reply to] Can't Post

With Guillermo Del Toro the master of Horor directing, you will be shuddering and crying in fear.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.