The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Just wanted to share this...

Laerasėa
Tol Eressea

May 15 2008, 2:40am

Post #1 of 21 (300 views)
Shortcut
Just wanted to share this... Can't Post

Ok, to start off, I'm a huge cat person- unfortunately for me, most of the family's allergic, so I never even bothered to ask about getting one. Fortunately for me, my neighbor is this nice old woman (I'll call her Mrs. W) who happens to have three, and is very pleased to get all the help she can with them. I've known her for over ten years- she is an old retired English teacher of mine. Anyways, so I got into the habit of going to her house every morning and evening, and feeding the cats- Zero, Nero, and Cleo. Nero was always really quiet, and stayed indoors most of the time- but Zero and Cleo always came outside and hung out in the driveway every morning and evening at the same time (five in the morning, five in the evening- I'm an early riser)- and they'd be waiting whenever I came. I grew kind of fond of them; Cleo is a small white cat, and Zero was small and black- Cleo is shy, and Zero would spit at anyone who was around (unless it was Cleo- he absolutely adored Cleo).
I had fallen into a routine by this year- every day, after coming home from school, I'd go for a few-mile run (stay in shape for cross country), and come back to find them waiting. My favorite (well, I love all of them, but still) was always Zero- I remember the first day I ran past the house, he happened to be out on the driveway a little early, and he started running with me! He actually kept up for a while (I kept on thinking he was going to turn around and head home), but I finally picked him up and dragged him home myself. I've seen people jogging with their dogs before, but never a cat. Crazy He also had this habit of climbing things- I've gone through the whole episode of pulling him out of a tree (still have a scratch, actually), and he has, on more than one occasion, actually climbed up my jeans while I was standing up and talking to a friend who also lives in the neighborhood (it's a very odd experience, trust me).

Today, I came home and went for a run like usual, and when I stopped by the Mrs. W's, I found a very kindly written letter- she was on a visit to see her grandkids, so she could not stay- but Zero had apparently died earlier today. He was fairly old, so there was nothing too surprising about it (he had also gotten really skinny). While Zero might have lived on Mrs. W's driveway, I bought all of his food, and took care of him every day- Mrs. W actually had my number put on his collar,

Anyways, I guess it's kind of silly (just a cat, you know)- but I felt pretty sad- he was kind of also a good buddy- does that make sense? (any pet owners here?)

Here's a pic- (younger Zero)-

I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying. - Oscar Wilde
This is a work of fiction. All the characters in it, human and otherwise, are imaginary, excepting only certain of the fairy folk, whom it might be unwise to offend by casting doubts on their existence. Or lack thereof. -Neil Gaiman
Age is an issue of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter. - Mark Twain
You're dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway. - Walt Disney

(This post was edited by laerasea on May 15 2008, 2:47am)

Kelvarhin
Half-elven

May 15 2008, 2:51am

Post #2 of 21 (181 views)
Shortcut
Not silly at all [In reply to] Can't Post

to morn the death of a well loved friend, doesn't matter whether they have two legs or four.

Zero sounded like a real character. How old was he? Sounds to me like he was one very lucky kitty to have two people who loved him and his sibs so much and took such care of them.

We lost our two girls (Cocoa, black cat Smile and Tiga, tortie) at the same time last year, we'd rescued them from the cat haven in Perth when they were kittens and they lived with us through many moves and changes (arrival of three boistrous boys) until they were 16, and yes I do still miss them, they become very big parts of our lives.

*big hug and love*
Kelvarhin

There he stood
Proud and solemn
Yet happy and gay

Laerasėa
Tol Eressea

May 15 2008, 3:35am

Post #3 of 21 (171 views)
Shortcut
Yep, they do, don't they? :-) [In reply to] Can't Post

Zero was thirteen- would have been fourteen this summer.

thank you!

I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying. - Oscar Wilde
This is a work of fiction. All the characters in it, human and otherwise, are imaginary, excepting only certain of the fairy folk, whom it might be unwise to offend by casting doubts on their existence. Or lack thereof. -Neil Gaiman
Age is an issue of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter. - Mark Twain
You're dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway. - Walt Disney

Altaira
Superuser

May 15 2008, 4:17am

Post #4 of 21 (173 views)
Shortcut
I think [In reply to] Can't Post

Mrs. W and Zero (and the other kitties) are very lucky to have you! How sweet of you to offer to take care of them. Not only are you giving the kitties the care they need, you're helping Mrs W enjoy companionship and love she might not otherwise be able to on her own.

It's always difficult when our furry companions get old and pass away. But, unfortunately, that's going to happen to every animal, so the best we can do is care for and love them enough to make their little lives wonderful. Sounds like you did that for Zero (and how cool that you have a picture, or two). Smile

*hugs*

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

TORn Calendar

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 15 2008, 4:41am

Post #5 of 21 (181 views)
Shortcut
I'm sorry to hear about Zero. [In reply to] Can't Post

He sounds a special friend.

Climbing your jeans reminded me of what our beloved Kimi-cat did when he was quite young (see the picture attached.That's Mr Kimi that Kimi-cat is climbing :-) )

Cats can wind their way around your heart very firmly. Our two have gone to cat-heaven, but we still miss them a lot. Fortunately I'm friends with several who live near us.

My writing (including The Passing of Mistress Rose)

Do we find happiness so often that we should turn it off the box when it happens to sit there?

- A Room With a View

(This post was edited by Kimi on May 15 2008, 4:41am)
Attachments: KimiClimbs.gif (34.9 KB)

Nienna
Rohan

May 15 2008, 5:28am

Post #6 of 21 (157 views)
Shortcut
Dear Zero [In reply to] Can't Post

I know how you feel. My British Blue - Sebastian - had to be put down because of cancer. I was distraught because he was part of the family.
I do feel for you - they do worm their way into your heart don't they?

Kelvarhin
Half-elven

May 15 2008, 5:58am

Post #7 of 21 (159 views)
Shortcut
That image reminded me [In reply to] Can't Post

of a Siamese cat my mum had called Suri. She used to run and jump onto our shoulders everytime the phone rang LOL. Then she'd sit there purring in your ear all the time you're on the phone, she'd jump down as soon as you hung up. They are individual aren't they :)

There he stood
Proud and solemn
Yet happy and gay

CAhobbit
Rohan

May 15 2008, 6:12am

Post #8 of 21 (157 views)
Shortcut
Oh, Zero.... [In reply to] Can't Post

Your post is not silly at all. Domesticated animals, in my eyes, are very much like family. We love them and the loss of them from our lives is always hard and tragic (I myself can still tear up at the thought of my long lost cat companions). Zero sounds like he was a wonderful cat and the love and attention you gave him was oh so appreciated by him I'm sure. I'm so sorry for your loss.

Do not meddle in the affairs of hobbits for we can bite your kneecaps off!

CAhobbit's flickr page

CAhobbit's myspace

CAhobbit
Rohan

May 15 2008, 6:18am

Post #9 of 21 (159 views)
Shortcut
Ha! [In reply to] Can't Post

One of the Siamese cats in my home (Willow) is a shoulder cat. She loves just hanging around on a person's shoulder (doesn't matter if the person is walking around at the time or just sitting). My Siamese cat (Pippin) has no interest in shoulders but loves to talk, chase after and then retrieve erasers (yes, erasers) for play and is quite sensitive about being embarrassed. They all do have individual, wonderful personalities.

Do not meddle in the affairs of hobbits for we can bite your kneecaps off!

CAhobbit's flickr page

CAhobbit's myspace

Starling
Half-elven

May 15 2008, 7:18am

Post #10 of 21 (178 views)
Shortcut
I am sorry to hear your sad news [In reply to] Can't Post

You are certainly not silly!
It is very hard to lose a companion, and Zero sounds like he was a lovely boy.
{{{{hugs}}}}

grammaboodawg
Immortal

May 15 2008, 9:43am

Post #11 of 21 (150 views)
Shortcut
I'm sad that Zero's [In reply to] Can't Post

gone; but I'm so warmed that your acceptance and appreciation of Mrs. W's cats meant so much to her. If she's alone and her cats are her companions, to have someone like you also appreciate them must delight her. I'm sorry Zero's gone. It's amazing how much we do rely on their presence for the few moments we are aware of them. Zero looks exactly like one of my outdoor cats, Mo. He and the other stray that's been living in my garage for 5 years now walk with me every day, too. They only make it the first 1/2 mile, then wait in the weeds along the road for my return. They're such a delight, but I'm constantly aware that someday one or both may not be there... so I enjoy them every day. They also eat well as I feed them twice a day.

I'm so glad Mrs. W and her cats have you there.

sample sample
Trust him... The Hobbit is coming!

"Barney Snow was here." ~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

TORn's Observations Lists

hatster
Rohan

May 15 2008, 11:01am

Post #12 of 21 (147 views)
Shortcut
they do have a way of crawling into your heart [In reply to] Can't Post

so sorry you lost your friend. and no, it isn't silly

I have lost the dwarves and I have lost the wizard, and I don't know where I am; and I don't want to know, if only I can get away.

Jazmine
Tol Eressea

May 15 2008, 12:32pm

Post #13 of 21 (147 views)
Shortcut
Not silly in the slightest... [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm a cat person too, and was devastated by the loss of one of mine a few weeks ago. I do get some people who think it's strange that one could get so sad over the loss of a pet, but they become a part of your life, for many years. You are bound to grieve when they pass away. And I totally understand when what you mean about Zero being a buddy, you learn all their little mannerisms and what they want when they communicate with you, it can just be like hanging out with a friend! Hope you feel better soon, (((hugs)))

*Jazminatar the Brown*

Annael
Immortal

May 15 2008, 3:23pm

Post #14 of 21 (140 views)
Shortcut
I swear, pets are just like kids [In reply to] Can't Post

as soon as you get on the phone, they're demanding attention!

Sorry about your loss lasersea - I'm an animal lover too and know what it is to lose an old & beloved fur friend.

By the way, I heard once that cats can't keep up a sustained level of effort for very long, like dogs, because they aren't very efficient at cooling down once they overheat. That's why cats only run in short bursts and then stop. Someone I know used to take their cat with them on walks, with the cat on a leash - and one day the cat keeled over and died! I've been trying to verify this on the 'net, but can't find anything.

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. - Mark Twain

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Eowyn of Penns Woods
Valinor

May 15 2008, 3:31pm

Post #15 of 21 (138 views)
Shortcut
Well, I was just thinking... [In reply to] Can't Post

that in about another week, it will be 9 years since I lost my best feline friend ever.
If that's a silly thing to remember...then I don't want to be "wise" (or whatever other people would call it).

Sure, I love and remember my grandparents, but Boots actually lived with me! How is he not "family" too?
We feed our families and care for them, so how is Zero not "family" to you?

If you're "silly"...at least you've got lots of company on the Silly bench. :)

"Oh, tra-la-la-lally yourself!"

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

May 15 2008, 3:38pm

Post #16 of 21 (137 views)
Shortcut
No, not silly! [In reply to] Can't Post

Our pets, and any animals we care for, become a part of our lives - and when they've passed on, we do feel that loss! {{laerasea}}

Zero - what a name for that personable cat! Laugh I wonder - do you have a local humane society, or vet's, where you could make a donation in his name?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

"It struck me last night that you might write a fearfully good romantic drama, with as much of the 'supernatural' as you cared to introduce. Have you ever thought of it?"
-Geoffrey B. Smith, letter to JRR Tolkien, 1915

Zmulady
Rohan

May 15 2008, 4:14pm

Post #17 of 21 (137 views)
Shortcut
it's not silly at all [In reply to] Can't Post

and I am glad you shared. Sorry for your loss.

Laerasėa
Tol Eressea

May 15 2008, 8:12pm

Post #18 of 21 (126 views)
Shortcut
yeah- [In reply to] Can't Post

that's why I was surprised he went as long as he did!! (well, it was a few houses, anyways- plus, I had slowed down a bit) It made it easier to pick him up and take him home when I did, though.

Laerasėa
Tol Eressea

May 15 2008, 8:14pm

Post #19 of 21 (126 views)
Shortcut
I hadn't thought of that! [In reply to] Can't Post

We actually do have one- that would be a great idea!
Thanks, dernwyn!

Laerasėa
Tol Eressea

May 15 2008, 8:27pm

Post #20 of 21 (122 views)
Shortcut
Thanks, all! [In reply to] Can't Post

It was nice to get a bit of comfort, and it felt really good reading all of what every one of you had to say. It made me happy to hear so many understanding and warm-hearted replies. (heh...plus, Zero would probably have appreciated all the attention)
Thank you all so much.
-L

Laerasėa
Tol Eressea

May 15 2008, 11:55pm

Post #21 of 21 (153 views)
Shortcut
thanks, Kimi [In reply to] Can't Post

Yep, that looks exactly like Zero- just the expression on his face, like, "if you don't pay attention to me NOW, I'll get even more annoying....just watch"
Your Kimi-cat looks so sweet!Heart

Thank you!

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.