Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Temporarily using Dial-up!

Lossefalme
Gondor

Mar 14 2007, 8:22pm

Post #1 of 14 (171 views)
Shortcut
Temporarily using Dial-up! Can't Post

Ack! I am switching to a new cable service and until next Thursday I'm stuck using dial-up. It's going to be ugly, but better than nothing. Anyway, I could use some technical advice. I don't want to lose the gazzillions of bookmarks that I have saved with my dsl account and I don't know how to save and/or transfer them to my new cable account when it starts. Any clues or ideas that you have would be hugely appreciated. Thank you!

(Formerly Lossefalme3, just in case you're wondering)*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Aragorn threw back his cloak. The elven-sheath glittered as he grasped it, and the bright blade of Andúril shone like a sudden flame as he swept it out. 'Elendil!' he cried. 'I am Aragorn son of Arathorn, and am called Elessar, the Elfstone, Dúnadan, the heir of Isildur Elendil's son of Gondor. Here is the Sword that was Broken and is forged again! Will you aid me or thwart me? Choose swiftly!' TTT, Book III, Chapter 2
And Éomer answered: 'Since the day when you rose before me out of the green grass of the downs I have loved you, and that love shall not fail.' RotK, Book VI, Chapter 5

CAhobbit
Rohan

Mar 14 2007, 8:26pm

Post #2 of 14 (81 views)
Shortcut
Won't they... [In reply to] Can't Post

already be saved from your internet program (mozilla, IE, Safari, etc...?) if you bookmark them there? Of course I use dial-up at home (always have) and when I've switched providers there was no problem with my bookmarks since they were all attached to Mozilla and IE already.

Do not meddle in the affairs of hobbits for we can bite your kneecaps off!

CAhobbit's flickr page

CAhobbit's myspace

Sherry
Rivendell

Mar 14 2007, 8:29pm

Post #3 of 14 (59 views)
Shortcut
Ditto [In reply to] Can't Post

what CAhobbit said.

If you've bookmarked them there, they will be fine. I'd never use any other way of saving URL's.

I do recall one time messing with my bookmarks and having to save them as some sort of file, then importing them into my new browser, but it was messy and annoying.

'I wish I could say something classy and inspirational, but that just wouldn't be our style.'

'Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.'

What I am listening to

New boards = new nick. Registered User formerly known as Arwenelf

NottaSackville
Tol Eressea

Mar 14 2007, 8:31pm

Post #4 of 14 (64 views)
Shortcut
Agreed [In reply to] Can't Post

Unless you are using some proprietary browser provided by the cable company, there should be no danger of losing your bookmarks. As long as you are using something like Firefox, Internet Explorer, Safari, Opera, Mozilla, etc., there shouldn't be any problem.

Notta

Lossefalme
Gondor

Mar 14 2007, 8:39pm

Post #5 of 14 (69 views)
Shortcut
Alas, they are in my Yahoo browser. [In reply to] Can't Post

I will see what I can do, though, because I have so many that I don't want to lose!

(Formerly Lossefalme3, just in case you're wondering)*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Aragorn threw back his cloak. The elven-sheath glittered as he grasped it, and the bright blade of Andúril shone like a sudden flame as he swept it out. 'Elendil!' he cried. 'I am Aragorn son of Arathorn, and am called Elessar, the Elfstone, Dúnadan, the heir of Isildur Elendil's son of Gondor. Here is the Sword that was Broken and is forged again! Will you aid me or thwart me? Choose swiftly!' TTT, Book III, Chapter 2
And Éomer answered: 'Since the day when you rose before me out of the green grass of the downs I have loved you, and that love shall not fail.' RotK, Book VI, Chapter 5

Aerin
Grey Havens

Mar 14 2007, 8:42pm

Post #6 of 14 (81 views)
Shortcut
What browser will you be using? [In reply to] Can't Post

It might be possible to export bookmarks from your Yahoo browser and import them into your new browser. You might want to check with Yahoo's technical support to find out where the bookmarks are stored (and the file name) and whether there is any way to back up the file or export it.

Sherry
Rivendell

Mar 14 2007, 8:45pm

Post #7 of 14 (53 views)
Shortcut
Well [In reply to] Can't Post

I googled and turned up no end of possibles.

I'd find a way to save them as some kind of file if need be, then import them to your new browser before change over. You can go Firefox to Yahoo easy enough it seems, you must be able to go in reverse.

Do Yahoo not have a forum or a help section on this somewhere?

I'll dig around some more and see if I can turn anything concrete up.

I chucked 'how to import yahoo bookmarks to another browser' fwiw. Try similar stuff and you should turn something up.

And if you do have to find a way to save your bookmarks there, its not very user friendly. I'd be looking for a backup browser.

*goes to read about Yahoo bookmarks*

'I wish I could say something classy and inspirational, but that just wouldn't be our style.'

What I am listening to

(This post was edited by Sherry on Mar 14 2007, 8:48pm)

Sherry
Rivendell

Mar 14 2007, 8:53pm

Post #8 of 14 (51 views)
Shortcut
So you are tied [In reply to] Can't Post

to using that browser with your internet provider?

Its not that you can't keep it if you change?

Strange *puzzles this one a while*

I set myself up with a Yahoo bookmarks just now, simply by logging in to my Yahoo account. Its all doable online it seems, so how will you lose them?

Maybe I'm missing something as I am a) watching Masterchef and b) have a bit of a headache.

What I am listening to

CAhobbit
Rohan

Mar 14 2007, 11:21pm

Post #9 of 14 (58 views)
Shortcut
Or... [In reply to] Can't Post

would it work if she downloads another browser (IE, mozilla, opera etc...) and inports them into the new browser? I know that I've done that in the past when I've downloaded new browsers (sometimes the option comes up when it's completed download). Just another thought I thought I'd throw into the mix.

Do not meddle in the affairs of hobbits for we can bite your kneecaps off!

CAhobbit's flickr page

CAhobbit's myspace

Aerin
Grey Havens

Mar 15 2007, 12:57am

Post #10 of 14 (49 views)
Shortcut
That's what I was trying to suggest. [In reply to] Can't Post

The question is whether bookmarks can be imported from the Yahoo browser. Importing doesn't work between all combinations of browsers, and Yahoo's proprietary browser might not be compatible.

luinfalathiel
Lorien

Mar 15 2007, 1:10pm

Post #11 of 14 (39 views)
Shortcut
I don't even know what "Yahoo Browser" is, lol!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Are you saying that your bookmarks are dependent on an internet site? In which case they should stay the same?

I don't see why your bookmarks should change because you have switched services, if you are using the same browser when you start using cable. I took my computer from Korea to Canada, and all my bookmarks were fine.

And ps ... your footer pic is really cute, but a little stretched, your dogs look wwaaaayyy skinnier than I think they actually are. :)

Chance favours the prepared mind.
http://simulflow.vox.com

the eye of luinfalathiel

the eye of luinfalathiel

Sherry
Rivendell

Mar 15 2007, 3:47pm

Post #12 of 14 (31 views)
Shortcut
Hopefully [In reply to] Can't Post

this Yahoo Bookmarks thing online might work. Anyone with a yahoo account can log in and set it up and manage it via their web browser. Even me!

So hopefully losse can work out a way somehow.

But Losse, don't get a browser that comes with your internet provider next time :p Get Firefox or Opera (both free and ad free with good bookmark import/export options) or something else :p

I still don't see how you can lose them though anyways. Importing them to another browser should work.

What I am listening to

Lossefalme
Gondor

Mar 19 2007, 1:54am

Post #13 of 14 (29 views)
Shortcut
Thank you for all of your help, everyone! [In reply to] Can't Post

I followed your advice and all my bookmarks have been exported to Explorer. Thank you all!

Aerin
Grey Havens

Mar 19 2007, 5:58am

Post #14 of 14 (66 views)
Shortcut
Glad to hear it! / [In reply to] Can't Post

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.