Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Gaming and Collecting:
I have a confession to make - I'm rather scared about the Hobbit movies...
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Dreamdeer
Valinor

May 14 2008, 3:13am

Post #26 of 47 (3104 views)
Shortcut
Yes, Sunflower! You understand! [In reply to] Can't Post

I've recently discovered Etsy (http://www.etsy.com/index.php) which is sort of like Ebay except for handmade goods only. They even have a "geek" subsection. Some of the artisans collect into special interest groups, and there is a fairy/fantasy group. No designated elvish bowls, alas, but they do have a guy who advertises his somewhat leaf-and-tendril shaped wooden spoons as "elvish". I'm shopping around right now for a Middle-Earthy bowl or two, to replace some I've busted. I'm also trying to hone my skills enough to sell something, but I haven't settled on a product yet.

I keep wanting to ask, "What would Bilbo have in Bag End? What would Eowyn keep in her suite? What would Gandalf select, of all the wares of Middle Earth, if he were to finally settle down and furnish a home?"

My website http://www.dreamdeer.grailmedia.com offers fanfic, and message-boards regarding intentional community or faerie exploration.

Kelvarhin
Half-elven

May 14 2008, 3:19am

Post #27 of 47 (3115 views)
Shortcut
I'm probably in the minority here [In reply to] Can't Post

but I didn't really like the leaf brooches in the movies, but mainly because of this one that I inherited from my Nan. I wore it on my wedding day on the front of my dress, there was a space in the embroidery that framed it perfectlySmile.

The two pairs of earings were gifts, the gold ones from a friend for my 18th and the bronze ones from my husband when we were on holiday in South Australia for the last Grand Prix there.

Cheers Kelvarhin

There he stood
Proud and solemn
Yet happy and gay

Patty
Immortal

May 14 2008, 5:16am

Post #28 of 47 (3089 views)
Shortcut
That elven brooch is LOVELY! [In reply to] Can't Post

I like the idea of the leaf being green, though, but the shape of the one from your Nan is indeed beautiful.

Hanging out with the Lonely Isle elves.

Kelvarhin
Half-elven

May 14 2008, 5:35am

Post #29 of 47 (3156 views)
Shortcut
Thanks Patty [In reply to] Can't Post

This is what it looked like on my wedding dress, it was so special for me as Nan died only a couple of months before my wedding.

and a bit of a closer look

I actually designed my own dress and a friend made it for me Blush

and to complete the Elven theme we were married in a park Smile

*hugs* Kelvarhin x

There he stood
Proud and solemn
Yet happy and gay

Aerin
Grey Havens

May 14 2008, 2:42pm

Post #30 of 47 (3075 views)
Shortcut
Duh! [In reply to] Can't Post

For some reason, I thought the thread had been moved from Movie to Off Topic, and I didn't realize it had ended up on Gaming & Collecting! I've actually never visited this board before.

Aerin
Grey Havens

May 14 2008, 2:47pm

Post #31 of 47 (3097 views)
Shortcut
Unfortunately, [In reply to] Can't Post

now that I've seen the set listed for $695, it makes me kind of nervous about using them! (Even though I know mine are worth a whole lot less.)

I do agree with your point about using objects -- I never acquire anything without intending to use it for its intended purpose.

Patty
Immortal

May 14 2008, 4:18pm

Post #32 of 47 (3099 views)
Shortcut
That dress is lovely, too... [In reply to] Can't Post

so meaningful to have that pin to wear to share with your Nan on your special day--a part of her.

Hanging out with the Lonely Isle elves.

Dreamdeer
Valinor

May 14 2008, 4:29pm

Post #33 of 47 (3093 views)
Shortcut
Now that's what I'm talking about! [In reply to] Can't Post

Designing your own wedding-gown, and finishing it off with an heirloom from a beloved ancestress touches on the very soul of Middle Earth! It's all about that personal connection, IMHP.

My website http://www.dreamdeer.grailmedia.com offers fanfic, and message-boards regarding intentional community or faerie exploration.

Kelvarhin
Half-elven

May 15 2008, 2:01am

Post #34 of 47 (3066 views)
Shortcut
Thanks Dreamdeer [In reply to] Can't Post

it was even more special as so many of our friends and family were totally involved with us in preparing it and performing it on the day. Our celebrant was a dearly loved old family friend, another old friend of my mums made the dress and my bridesmaids dresses for me (that was fun, sitting around at her house making them all Smile) another friends girlfriend did our hair, another friend did our makeup and my eldest sister-in-law lent me her veil. And then at the park we asked everyone to come in close to share it all with us. There were drinks etc there too so we basically partied as we married, then kicked on to the reception. Everyone who was there told us that it was one of the happiest/joyful weddings they'd ever been to. Well we thought so BlushEvilAngelic

*hugs* Kelvarhin

There he stood
Proud and solemn
Yet happy and gay

Kelvarhin
Half-elven

May 15 2008, 2:02am

Post #35 of 47 (3096 views)
Shortcut
It was and is very special :) [In reply to] Can't Post

There he stood
Proud and solemn
Yet happy and gay

leo
Rohan

May 15 2008, 11:14am

Post #36 of 47 (3090 views)
Shortcut
No need to move to a bigger place... [In reply to] Can't Post

I have the perfect solution! Just give it all to me, precious! Give us the collectibles and toys and thingies! We'lll take good care of it. Nice leo will take good care of it... *gollum*

:-)

But yeah, I see your point. I have two huge boxes of collected newspaper en magazine-clippings and assorted paperwork standig right here in my living room which I still have to sort out. And they are from years ago! I'll never get anything done with all this Hobbit-madness dawning on the horizon... I'll be swamped in boxes and noone will find me for days!

leo
Rohan

May 15 2008, 11:15am

Post #37 of 47 (3071 views)
Shortcut
Man how cool would a giant Sideshow/WETA Smaug be... [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't even know what he looks like, but I want one now! It'll go nicely with my Sideshow/WETA Balrog! Ooohh I'm all excited now!!

Eowyn of Penns Woods
Valinor

May 15 2008, 4:00pm

Post #38 of 47 (3098 views)
Shortcut
Etsy is the "drug" of choice for some of us. ;) [In reply to] Can't Post

But enough about knitters and spinners and their addictions.

I've also been known to pick up a few things I think would "fit in" somewhere in Middle-earth.
I think the Elves would go for some of the Adirondack Rustic style of furnishings. Yeah, I was watching that on PBS last night, but I always loved the Germanic natural/rustic woodworking too.

"Oh, tra-la-la-lally yourself!"

Eowyn of Penns Woods
Valinor

May 15 2008, 4:03pm

Post #39 of 47 (3086 views)
Shortcut
Someday I'll photograph my collection of leaf jewelry, too. :) // [In reply to] Can't Post

Dreamdeer
Valinor

May 15 2008, 11:56pm

Post #40 of 47 (3077 views)
Shortcut
Adirondack! [In reply to] Can't Post

Oh yes, I love the pictures I've seen from Adirondack lodges! I'm pining for an antler chandelier--that is so elvish! And the way they can make porches out of whole boughs and branches and stuff.

Here's a discovery: Tree roots make really twisty, interesting, and unusual raw materials, very organic and elvish-looking, once you clean them up and sand them up and oil them. You can get tree roots whenever the city sends men to tear up sidewalk to remove tree-roots that have disturbed the pavement. If you can get there before they bundle them off to landfill, folks will often let you take as many roots home as you would like. Somewhere around here I've got a book on making "twig" furniture, and I am sure roots would work very well for that. You could also use them instead of a curtainrod, mount one for a towel rack, use it for a handle if you're into broom-making, or all sorts of things.

I've only got one tree-root myself (I've burnt designs into it, runes wrapping around it, but actually they're prayers thanking God for various animals and trees associated with me) and it kind of curves out and forward, so I use it to sweep the road ahead of me for rattlesnakes when I go outside at night in summer (they just love to lay across the dirt road around here, and their patterns blend in with the rocks and gravel beautifully by moonlight, and infrared doesn't work on cold-blooded animals.) It has an interesting fork at the end, so it's also good for lifting Christmas lights up above my head into the prickly paloverde trees and back down safely again.

Idril Celebrindal
Tol Eressea

May 16 2008, 4:25am

Post #41 of 47 (3162 views)
Shortcut
Maybe for the wood elves? [In reply to] Can't Post

We saw the Adirondack show, too -- now we're thinking about taking a trip there! (It did its job of selling the Adirondacks well. Wink)

I think the Adirondack style of furniture would be most appropriate for the Wood Elves of Mirkwood. They are more isolated and rustic than their cousins in Eriador, and spend a great deal of time outdoors in the forest, so an earthy furniture style like Adirondack would suit them very well.

The Elves of Rivendell and the Grey Havens would probably have a more refined design style, what with the influence of the Noldor. I see them as having more of an Arts & Crafts style of furniture, perhaps like that of Greene and Greene or Charles Rennie Mackintosh. The movies represented the Rivendell elves with Art Nouveau design, which is another great choice.

With caffeine, all things are possible.

The pity of Bilbo will screw up the fate of many.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Idril Celebrindal
Tol Eressea

May 16 2008, 6:49pm

Post #42 of 47 (3111 views)
Shortcut
Nice! [In reply to] Can't Post

That's a great brooch you have from your Nan -- the shape is wonderful. As a connoisseur of funky jewelry, I have to admire your leaf earrings. They're both cool.

You went to the Australian Grand Prix? What fun! I follow F1, too.

With caffeine, all things are possible.

The pity of Bilbo will screw up the fate of many.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Kelvarhin
Half-elven

May 17 2008, 7:00am

Post #43 of 47 (3140 views)
Shortcut
Love F1 [In reply to] Can't Post

unfortunately that was the only live race we got to, but what a great week it was!! Wink Saw all the practise and support races and as we were staying in Wine growing country EvilEvil had a VERY good holiday *hic*.

It's a shame that Melbourne is near the start of the season as the teams were always so relaxed at Adelaide and much more approachable.

Do love my leaf jewellery, like that it's a bit different and they hold special memories too.

*hugs* Kelvarhin

There he stood
Proud and solemn
Yet happy and gay

greendragon
Sr. Staff

May 19 2008, 8:59pm

Post #44 of 47 (3042 views)
Shortcut
just to say... [In reply to] Can't Post

sorry I've been a bit of an absentee from my own thread! Just haven't had much time to spend at TORn in the last week - but I have really enjoyed reading everyone's answers! Yes, there are actually (or were) many 'useable' collectables out there - I have mugs, wine glasses, wine bottle stoppers, jewellry, candle holders, incense, ornaments, bowls, tankards, etc. which are either 'official' LotR collectables or things which remind me of ME. I also of course have lots of tshirts, sweatshirts, bags and caps - so plenty of things to wear or use, besides the collectables I just look at!

And yes, I think I'll start a savings account just for Hobbit stuff... Wink

'There are older and fouler things than orcs in the deep places of my fridge...'

'You never know what will happen next, when once you get mixed up with TORnsibs and their friends.'

turimel
The Shire

May 26 2008, 12:38am

Post #45 of 47 (3000 views)
Shortcut
A little delayed reply [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
On the old New Line website I searched in vain for any links to artisans who helped to make the props--the actual, useable things, like cloaks and pitchers and chairs--but I searched in vain. I think they missed an opportunity in trade.

glorfin
The Shire

Jun 5 2008, 4:14pm

Post #46 of 47 (2915 views)
Shortcut
I saw a little of it at work, which is ironic [In reply to] Can't Post

Since i live 30 miles from the Park.
One of the most economically depressed places (due to regulations about building and even repairing your own home), but very pretty. Funny thing is that only the tourists buy the furniture really.
But, some of my favorite elven walking trails are there.
*sigh*
Just don't bring the cell phone unless the Park Agency really does ever allow towers. They might let the highway put one or two in, since people died for lack of reception, but somehow i think that will take forever.
Like i said, though, beautiful place and that style furniture might just be similar, but less beautiful somehow, than that of the elves.

Glorfin has no footer. Glorfin needs no footer.

turimel
The Shire

Jun 6 2008, 3:45pm

Post #47 of 47 (3129 views)
Shortcut
OK, that was weird [In reply to] Can't Post

My little reply didn't actually contain the reply, just the quote! Strange! Anyway, what I had written was that Ceramics Monthly did a feature on one of the potters who made stuff for the LOTR films--I guess there were several. Anyway, this guy was a master ceramic artist and had pieces that sold in galleries for thousands of dollars--so it was probably kinda beneath him to make replica mugs and so forth for movie fans. Doing production pottery, making the same thing over and over again, can be kinda boring. I tried looking for him on the web and he didn't even have his own site at the time, but I found some of his gallery pieces for sale and they were amazing.

Of course that explains why all the pottery in the movies looked so incredible--they had a brilliant artist making it all. Just like everything else in the films.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.