Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Clarity

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

May 6 2008, 3:16pm

Views: 51
Shortcut
Clarity [In reply to] Can't Post

Let me clarify this. The film departs for the book, and also makes for a sin of omission which is in now way explained.

Obviuosly, I think transplanting the Battle Of Amon Sul (or a similar reconstruction)between Gandalf and the Nine Wraith-Lords, with the Wizard employing in his defence the "light and flame" which Aragorn and the hobbits viewed from afar, would be a masterpiece. It would also go a long way in making up for that travesty in ROTKEE with Gandalf in the witch-king, which frankly turned my stomach, and ruined an otherwise laudable extended edition to the point that I only watch the theatrical dvd. I am not the first person to say so, by the way. There have been entire threads in various forums on the topic, and not started by me.

But for those complaining that it would be a transplant or shift timeline events. . .

I will fully explain how its omission in the original Fellowship film marred the timeline, and definitely broke, for good or ill, with the time line of the book.

In the text, Gandalf had been rescued from Orthanc days before Frodo was attacked by The Witch-King on Weathertop. You will remember that the Wizard reached the hill-top before Aragorn and the hobbits did. In fact, they saw his battle with The Nine from miles off, but did not at first know what it was, only that they saw flashes of light, "like lightning that leaps up from the hill top." When they reached the hill a day or more later, Aragorn noted that the hill had been swept with fire and scorched, and surmised that Gandalf must have been attacked and fought his way free.

This departure in the timeline is actually VERY significant, and I am suprised that so few have noted it before. In the book and in The Film only Five wraiths, NOT Nine, attack Frodo. Why is this/ In the book we are informed of the reason: Gandalf battled with the nine, fought his way through their formation at dawn, and was followed by four who sought to discover something of his movements, and perhaps come to the ring thus. "THat helped. . . for there were only five and not nine when you were attacked. . ." But The film does not explain this at all. It leaves Gandalf at Isengard until well after Frodo's attack, and entirely fails to explain why only five wraiths are present during Frodo's attack.

Now this is just me, but I hardly see how the trasplant of the Stunning Gandalf vs. The Nine sequence (potential for an amzaing scene) into the Dol Guldur escape, would cause more logistical proplems thatn Gandalf being atop Orthanc, and not on the road to Rivendell with four of the nine in pursuit, when Frodo is attacked by wraiths still inexplicably numbering only five.

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

Subject User Time
WHy Gandalf versus The Nine on Amon Sul should be worked into film two AinurOlorin Send a private message to AinurOlorin May 1 2008, 1:30pm
    Even the mightiest can be slain by one arrow Owlyross Send a private message to Owlyross May 1 2008, 3:01pm
        Errors in your analogy Owlyross AinurOlorin Send a private message to AinurOlorin May 1 2008, 3:59pm
    Two points... merklynn Send a private message to merklynn May 1 2008, 4:03pm
    Why it won't be included Compa_Mighty Send a private message to Compa_Mighty May 1 2008, 7:06pm
        Correct DiveTwin Send a private message to DiveTwin May 1 2008, 9:46pm
            I 100% agree with both Compamighty and DiveTwin - nt merklynn Send a private message to merklynn May 2 2008, 12:03am
                gandalf Gethsemane Send a private message to Gethsemane May 2 2008, 12:16am
            a great many people were offended by the staff breaking AinurOlorin Send a private message to AinurOlorin May 2 2008, 12:57pm
                Would you please explain this Peredhil lover Send a private message to Peredhil lover May 2 2008, 1:29pm
                    Clarity AinurOlorin Send a private message to AinurOlorin May 6 2008, 3:16pm
                Gotcha DiveTwin Send a private message to DiveTwin May 2 2008, 1:36pm
                    Be careful what you bet... merklynn Send a private message to merklynn May 2 2008, 1:50pm
    Not happening Tolkien Forever Send a private message to Tolkien Forever May 1 2008, 8:44pm

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.