Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
The Dragon Problem (long)
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next page Last page  View All

CaerLaw

May 22 2008, 8:56pm

Post #151 of 158 (1377 views)
Shortcut
That makes TWO votes for Michael! [In reply to] Can't Post

Smile See my earlier post, "My Vision of Smaug."

Wink

I must not fear.
Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.

Dragonlady

May 23 2008, 10:19am

Post #152 of 158 (1359 views)
Shortcut
My choice of actor for Smaug [In reply to] Can't Post

Over the past years I've said many time that I want Bernard Hill to be Smaug.

Some might say he wouldn't be "dark" enough, but I don't think of Smaug as being that dark. He's just a Dragon, he eats humans, but to him they are no more than rabbits, we don't think of ourselves as evil when we eat a rabbit don't we? (unless you're vegeterian). But rabbits must see us as terrible flesh eating monsters Sly
To me Dragons are mostly these very self confident creatures who radiate a big presence and not just because of their size.

Years ago when I went to see "Highlander" at the cinema, I came out wondering why I felt I knew that character played by Sean Connery, while walking home it struck me, he had the same attitude as some Dragons I knew, like Smaug and others. That presence too. So imagine my amazement some years later when I heard he had been hired to play Draco! It means others saw the same potential in Sean Connery!

I picture Smaug with the same sort of attitude, humour and presence as Bernard Hill.
In 2001 I was at the Fellowship Festival in London and I met B. Hill. I felt that "dragon presence" so strongly, especially when I stood up during one of his talks and went to the microphone to ask him if he'd like to play a CG character some day. Wink I didn't dare asking him if he wanted to play Smaug, and anyway I couldn't really ask two questions.

(This post was edited by Dragonlady on May 23 2008, 10:20am)

Mirabella_Bunce
Rivendell

May 23 2008, 1:12pm

Post #153 of 158 (1366 views)
Shortcut
It will probably be someone we don't even know, but... [In reply to] Can't Post

The voice I keep imagining for Smaug is Anthony Hopkins. Possibly because I picture Smaug with the same sort of attitude, humor and presence as Hannibal Lecter. He gets a huge charge out of lording his superior intellect over those un-evolved idiots who are nothing but sushi to him. And he's not a mere predator like a wolf that just eats bunnies because that's what it was created to do. He also has an ego, a huge one, and takes an evil delight in knowing that he strikes terror into the hearts of his prey. Tolkien didn't mean for his dragons to be mere carnivorous animals, but for them to be servants of Morgoth.

MrCere
Sr. Staff

May 23 2008, 10:24pm

Post #154 of 158 (1347 views)
Shortcut
Not bad . . . [In reply to] Can't Post

I think he is off-the-charts amazing as an actor so I believe he would bring a great performance to the voice. I definitely agree that Smaug isn't just a eater of humans but greedy and a servant of the Dark Lord.

I have no choice but to believe in free will.

The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie

Solicitr
Lorien

May 30 2008, 1:55pm

Post #155 of 158 (1315 views)
Shortcut
Guillermo, if you're reading.... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

Now, the voice is a voice I have had in my head for many years too and I will explore it as such- if the actor is unavailable, unwilling or otherwise impossible to get, then the voice may change. But all directors, like any readers, step into a film with a plan. I hope the casting is possible.

If however your dream casting doesn't pan out, please do consider Jeremy Irons- a light baritone with suprising depth and resonance, and above all supercilious, aristocratic, sneering, with a veneer of etiquette over fathomless malice.

Solicitr
Lorien

May 30 2008, 1:58pm

Post #156 of 158 (1334 views)
Shortcut
Nonsense [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
WinkDid not one large large eye in a certain film hold us all engrossed - did not that eye give us the sense of evil? A whole movie has been done on it Wink

What it did was reduce the eponymous villain, whom Tolkien wisely never shows, to a Highly Irritable Lighthouse.

'Cannot yet take physical form,' bah!!Mad

Actaeon

Jun 3 2008, 4:18am

Post #157 of 158 (1236 views)
Shortcut
A solution? [In reply to] Can't Post

A possible solution for the voice of Smaug and particularly for the impact on his facial design with the need to lip synch could be quite simply ignore it! Most of his "Lines" are when he is curled up in the dark in his lair playing mind/word games with Bilbo. A dull warm glow from Smaug himself is the only illumination, it would be quite easy to keep his face in shadow, maybe just a hint of a glow from his eyes and body. It would make for a more menacing scene just hearing his charmingly arrogant mocking of Bilbo in the near dark.

As for his appearance, i prefer the more long slender "worm" look below

and the John Howe image suggested by the above poster. (http://www.john-howe.com/portfolio/gallery/details.php?image_id=410)

Cheers

durthang
The Shire

May 22 2009, 6:47am

Post #158 of 158 (1137 views)
Shortcut
Smaug musings.... [In reply to] Can't Post

Just typing away daydreaming about Smaug......I hope that GDT strikes a great balance between the beastial qualities of Smaug (being an absolutely hellishly horrible creature infused with Morgoth's hate and will) and the distinctly 'human' traits he shows in the book. It would be great to see him reveal his splendour with a firey roar, shaking the very foundations of Erebor (and the cinema!!!) and then let out a spine chillingly human-like throaty laugh, flashing his crafty eyes. OMG I just completely worked myself up! Can't wait! GDT will totally come through with the goods for Smaug......

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.